“Perfect location for Disneyland”
Review of The Anabella

The Anabella
Ranked #53 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Perfect location for Disneyland”
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Wow! I wasn't expecting much and this hotel was a pleasant surprise. We booked a Casita Suite for one night, took advantage of early-check in to leave our car, and headed to the park before opening. This hotel is in an ideal location on Katella and Disneyland Way and just steps from the Disneyland resorts and Downtown Disney. You get the benefit of proximity without the ridiculous prices. Also quieter than staying on Harbor Blvd.

This hotel has been nicely refurbished and the rooms were well maintained and spotless. The beds weren't great but we were in a standard room. The staff was courteous and made everything very easy. We ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel (too exhausted to walk elsewhere) and the prices were very reasonable and the food was good except for the cobb salad. The pool is a great place to relax after a long day and filled with kids (also a separate quiet pool for adults) in the late afternoon.

With so many other competing properties nearby and the Disney resorts, they work very hard for your business and reward you with a very pleasant experience. We don't have plans to go back to Disneyland, but I will recommend this hotel to friends.

1 Thank hoppityhop
AGSM10, Guest Services Manager at The Anabella, responded to this review, 7 July 2010
If you loved our Casita Suite, you would love our Mission Suite even more! I am happy that you found our hotel to your liking. I am sorry you were not exceptionally pleased with our Cobb salad. The Tangerine Grill offers a variety of dishes, so hopefully you stay with us again and give the menu another glance. I appreciate your great review and come back again soon to wind down and relax!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Palm Springs California
Reviewed 14 June 2010

We stayed at the Anabella over a weekend to take a family member from South America to the Disney Park. The location of the hotel is first rate, the rooms were so clean, I've never been in a cleaner bathroom, it actually sparkled. The staff was very pleasant, professional, accomadating. We had Sunday breakfast, the Huevos Rancheros were as good as they come. I would come back to the Anabella anytime. The location, made is so quick and easy to get in and out of the park. My only complaint, I didn't have enough time to enjoy the hotel.

Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank carolberger
Thank you for taking the time to write this review! I am glad you had time to catch a nice breakfast at the Tangerine Grill. I appreciate your review and I am proud that the Anabella was able to provide you with a room and service that made your trip to Anaheim even more enjoyable!
west bay dorset
Reviewed 14 June 2010

Stayed 5 nights, Firstly when arrived was told of parking fee 10usd per night, When got to room shower broken.Beds more like 3/4qtrs then Doubles, Rooms very small (bella reyna). Pool starts at 4ft so be careful with little ones. Had a noise problem one night 2 young couples very drunk took hotel over 1 hr to sort out. Business centre 7usd for computer use. Location gud for disney and knotts beer but not good if you wish to head for universal santa monica hollywood area LA traffic (you would be quicker walking)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
I apologize that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. We do make upcoming guests aware on our website and over the phone that we do have a parking charge of 10 dollars a night plus tax. We also do make our guests aware that we are close to Disney in the heart of Anaheim and that LA is about a hour and half drive from our location.
arizona
Reviewed 13 June 2010

Stayed 2 nights at the Anabella and was very impressed. This hotel was recommended to me by my nephew who stays at the Anabella quite often. Room was roomy (5 of us) and on the bottom floor so we had a private patio. The beds were wonderful, the shower great and loved the plantation shutters. We have stayed at various hotels near Disneyland over the years and the Anabella is now at the top of the list. We also had 2 free continental breakfasts included which were eggs, bacon and potatoes. The food was fine however the only complaint we had was the service at the Tangerine Grill. The wait staff possibly need more training, waited over 15 minutes for the waiter to take our order and then waited and waited for the bill so we could pay and get headed to Disneyland. Couldn't find our waiter anywhere, asked another waiter if we could pay and she said "no, you have to pay your waiter" Explained I couldn't find him so the manager came over and we paid him. The second day the exact same thing occurred. All in all we were impressed enough that we will choose the Anabella whenever we go to Disneyland (yearly family trip)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
I am pleased to hear that you more then enjoyed your recent stay with us. I will be forwarding your comments about our restaurant to our Food and Beverage Director. We have many new faces in our restaurant and I am more than sure that next time we will be on top of things. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Washington State
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I travel a little for work, and this is a similar class/price hotel of which my empolyer books. My 11 year old daughter and I stayed 4 nights here while visiting the Disneyland. We used airline miles to book a Casita suite, but were upgraded to a Mission Suite upon check in. I requested a quiet room on the top floor, and that's what we got. I'm sure I will mess up his name, but Mr. Shumake checked us in and was very nice and helpful.

It was clean, linens were clean, and the room smelled fine. It was quiet! Beds were fine, but nothing special. AC blew directly at me while in bed. My daughter like having her own room. All went well until the morning when my daughter was horrified to find a roach on the bathroom floor. She is from a northern climate and has only seen cockroaches in zoos, but knew what it was. I have lived as a starving student in a hot climate, and am well aquainted with these little buggers. To give the hotel credit, it was nearly dead and I suspect they had recently sprayed. We took our new friend in a baggie to the front desk where we were also told by the manager that it was some sort of water bug (I'm sorry, but that was a cockroach). I said I didn't think so, but just wanted to switch rooms because my daughter refused to sleep in that room now. They were extremely accomodating and put us in a different Mission Suite. They also eliminated any parking fees from our bill, which satisfied me. No more roaches were seen.

The second suite was also as nice and quiet as the first. I felt very safe at this hotel. I personally prefer the an exterior walkway, I find them quieter. The hotel is a nice strech of the legs from Disneyland, but fine. My daughter enjoyed the pool. I like that this hotel is NOT on Harbor Blvd and NOT near the freeway. I think the bathroom hardware (faucets, knobs, drain rings, spouts) could all use updating to compete, but the water pressure was impressive. They were switching out furniture on the other side of the property, so updates are being done. And the grounds were very nice.

So despite our six legged friend, it was a great stay. We were treated well, the "situation" was handled fairly, and I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
After reading your review I want to start out by apologizing for certain items that you encountered during your stay. This is not something that we take lightly nor is it something that is common for our hotel so it surprised me when reading it. I assure you that I will be following up with the above and making sure that it does not repeat again. Please contact me directly if you have any further questions.
Denver, CO
Reviewed 7 June 2010

We did the concierge rooms. Clean enough, quiet. Large rooms. Decent granite bathroom was large and also had a separate vanity/sink area which was nice. Close to Disneyland. Walking there was faster than the 20 minute wait for the Anaheim resort transit buses. It was a little less quality than I expected for what was sold to me, but I still was okay with it. I would stay here again with a good deal. You will pay roughly $10 for parking so figure that in your comparison budget.

1 Thank hardinger69
Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to write a review regarding out property. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and that we see you back here again soon!
San Jose, California
Reviewed 28 May 2010

The Anabella (M)Hotel has been a complete disappointment all around. Save your hard earned cash and invest it in a REAL Hotel for the same price.

My staying at the Anabella (M)Hotel was for four days and for business while attending the IMS 2010 with colleagues.

The decision to stay at the Anabella (M)Hotel was made after giving consideration to convenience, amenities, services provided, comfort level, and after reviewing the description and images from their web site.

At the end of my staying I can tell you without a bit of a doubt that: The Anabella (M)Hotel is just that, on overpriced Motel and I use the “Motel” description loosely has I have stayed in Motels that by comparison look like 5 stars Hotel for hygiene and cleanliness.

The first rooms we were given upon our arrival were beyond smelly. The odor was overwhelming the moment the doors came open. As we walked into the rooms it was immediately noticeable that the comforter on one of the beds was heavily stained (no need for details here) and the cover of the HVAC fell-off as the door of the room closed.

After recording images of the stained comforter and reporting it to the front desk the (M)Hotel Manager recognized the deficiency in hygiene and offered to “upgrade” our rooms but not before saying that: (and I quote) “The rooms you are complaining about do reflect what you have reserved” (My guess is that it is ok for the Anabella to provide a smelly room with stained comforters for anything below $200 per night) needless to say that his comment only went to add insult to injury.

The second night returning to the “upgraded” room after a long day of work I was greeted by a 1.5” long brown roach running around the room. As I recorded and reported that to the (M)Hotel staff I was told that it was “only a water-bug”. Aside form whatever other “cute” names we can give to that creature it was a BIG ROACH!

I believe the Anabella’ s Staff may actually be aware of the Roach Problem as I noticed that their housekeepers close shut both the sink and tub drains with caps every morning (or at least they did in those two rooms).

The Tangerine Restaurant within the Anabella (M)Hotel follows the same “Hygiene Culture” of the rest of the (M)Hotel, with the same “quick to comp” approach to resolve issues such as spoiled food, where not even the restaurant's Manager was able to sniff the spoiled chicken without gagging before agreeing that "something went wrong".

The Anabella (M)Hotel may be living on “Old Glory” of times gone by where they may have been at the forefront of great accommodation. I hope this Negative Review and that of others may help them to understand that more work is definitely needed in order for them to shine once again.

Until that day stay clear of the Anabella (M)Hotel and go to spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank pilot20149
AGSM10, Guest Services Manager at The Anabella, responded to this review, 10 June 2010
I apologize that you had such a unpleasant stay with us during your convention. It troubles me to hear some of your comments since this is the first that I am hearing about them. I can assure you that we do take every step and precaution to insure thorough cleanliness of each guest room and our property. I would like to ask that you do contact me directly so that I may have a better understanding of the events that occurred during your stay. In our other reviews we are praised for our cleanliness and service so I do not take this review lightly. I look forward to hearing from you.