“Good value budget option near Disneyland”
Review of Candy Cane Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Candy Cane Inn
Ranked #5 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I travelled with my youngest son to California this summer. We stayed near Disneyland for 3 nights at the candy Cane Inn. I always do some research on Tripadvisor before I book hotels for my vacations. I decided that this time since it was only the two of us I would look for a less expensive hotel. Two years ago my husband, my three sons and I stayed at the Disney Grand California Resort which cost us considerably more.
I was very happy with my budget choice:
1) FREE parking- this is a great perk because Disneyland is an easy walk from the Inn and you don't need to use your car at all. If you don't like to walk there was a shuttle bus directly from the Inn's parking lot to the bus area at Disneyland. We preferred to walk so we didn't have to time our comings and goings to the bus schedule.
2) FREE continental breakfast. This was a typical continental breakfast. There was cereal , juices, yogurt, pastries, toast, bagels, fruit and of course coffee. Nothing fancy but we had coffee, bagels with peanut butter and Banana, and yogurt every morning and I know it saved us quite a bit of money.
3) FREE wifi. My son loved this as he needed to check his facebook every day when we returned from Disney.
4) Close to Anaheim Garden Walk. This is a small shopping area about two blocks away for the Candy Cane Inn. Not much for stores to shop in but they did have some decent choices for dinner here. We usually walked back to the Candy Cane Inn in the late afternoon for a swim and then we would get cleaned up for supper and walk over to the Anaheim Garden Walk. We ate at the Cheesecake Factory, Bubba Gump's and The California Pizza Kitchen. There was also a PF Changs, Johhny Rocket's and a Roy's Hawaiian Fusion. We enjoyed a break from the crowds at Disney and since we are from Canada we like to eat at these restaurants that we don't get to go to often.
5) Swimming Pool- the pool is relatively small but we were there in August and we didn't find it too crowded. There was a hot tub there too and I think the pool area was open until 10pm.
Overall this was a good hotel for us. We hardly spent any time in our room, we saved money on breakfast and parking and the rooms were decent. The rooms are not fancy but ours was comfortable and clean. Some people have complained about the dated decor but I thought the decor was fine for what I paid.
So three nights in this hotel cost about $345 with free parking and breakfast and three nights in the Disney Grand Californian Resort with parking was about $1700. Of course the Disney hotel more upscale, a bit closer to the parks and has a really nice pool area. It all depends on what you want to pay and how much time you plan on spending at the your hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room as all the rooms have windows that look out at the parking lot and there...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank passionfortravel9
CandyCaneInn, General Manager at Candy Cane Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with our TripAdvisor Readers! I am happy to read that you found the Candy Cane Inn to be such a value to your family. I must agree that there are so many different options for hotel accommodations, but we pride ourselves of being clean, comfortable, providing great service, and of course being a great value for our guests. Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to have you back again in the near future!

Reviewed 22 October 2011

Well, I think the Candy Cane Inn's charm is it is the closest hotel on the same side as Disneyland and the grounds themselves.
Even though it is close, it is still an 8 - 10 minute walk, not exactly as close as it sounds on paper. They do have their own free tram which is nice; it runs every half hour.
The place is very nice outside, cobblestones in the driveway, hanging plants all around.
That's all nice but I was quite disappointed in the room. The carpet was stained, it just seemed like it needed an overhaul.
It was our honeymoon, and they did provide us with a welcome gift basket with cookies, but there were no rooms with one big bed, or true luxury that I was told of. It really didn't seem much better than other hotels. The bathroom to me seemed quite dated, it had old tile that reminded me of my grandma's bathroom around the tub.
This would actually be a fine hotel if you were just here with the family or friends, but definitely not for a couple. We ended up staying 4 nights, cause it was comfortable enough, and we didn't feel like moving our stuff.
The breakfast was pretty nice, they had bagels, yogurt, a cool toasting oven to toast all your bread goodies, fresh fruit, coffee, milk, hot chocolate, and juice. It was pretty good for a free breakfast, and as much as you wanted. But I've had better at a Best Western where they have make it yourself fresh Belgian waffles, but I detract....It was nice, but just not great!
We looked at going for upgrading to one of the luxury rooms, but they were just a little more spacious, but almost exactly the same. Two queen beds, a fridge, but along with the bigger space, you get a microwave and a DVD player. It just wasn't worth the extra money in this case.
So, it's nice enough, but most of the reviews have been so off the charts I guess I was expecting more. I think this place is nice enough for a vacation, but it's not a 5 star place like so many reviews gave it.
Oh yes another nice perk is the free parking. I've heard that a lot of the other hotels are now charging to park.
So it is pretty nice over all if I think about it, but I just had higher hopes. My wife has stayed here many times and she was quite disappointed, and felt it wasn't as nice as before, Maybe it just needs a nice refurbishment. She didn't like the decor of the room at all.
Family Friends, Kids....ok
Couples looking for some romance.....BAD

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank batlord77

Congratulations on your honeymoon! I am sorry to read that we did not live up to your expectations of a romantic getaway. We definitely understand that every guest’s definition of luxury is different. Since most of our guests are families traveling to Disneyland, we at the Candy Cane Inn feature two queen sized beds in all of our rooms, with the exception of three king sized rooms which are disabled access. The upgrade to our Premium room is designed to give our guests more options with breakfast being delivered to the room every morning, complimentary newspaper service daily, complimentary movie rentals, as well as guaranteed late checkout at 2pm. Especially when the theme parks are busy, it can be nice to enjoy breakfast from the comforts of your room and take a little more time to checkout. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Reviewed 19 October 2011

We recently returned from another great stay at the Candy Cane Inn. If you check our other reviews, you will see that we have stayed at numerous other properties this year, but we keep coming back to the Candy Cane Inn. Why, you may ask? Because it never really disappoints. The rooms have always been clean, and I am a clean freak. The staff who work there are good. The grounds are beautiful. The shuttle is convenient and a foot saver at the end of a long day at Disneyland. The breakfast saves us not only money, but time as well and as everyone knows, time is money at Disneyland.

There were a couple of hiccups during this trip, though. We were in room 137 and one of the beds was broken down. When my husband first brought this up to the woman who was working at the desk, she said that they are supposed to be like that. We've stayed here many times in the past and have not had a bed like that and the other bed in our room wasn't like that. She said that there was nothing that they could do. No offer to move us to another room. No sorry. Nothing. Also, the lighting fixture over the sink did not work when we arrived late at night. This was fixed while we were at the park in the morning.

Now, you may ask why I am booking our next trip at the Candy Cane Inn now. Well, even with the issue with the bed, we have found this to be the best value for our money in the area. Yes, we can find cheaper lodging elsewhere. Doing so would mean giving up the free dedicated shuttle, the clean rooms, the satisfying breakfast and the staff at the Candy Cane Inn.

So, if you are looking for a clean, reasonably priced place to lay your head at night after a long day at Disneyland, this is your place. If you are looking for a nice place to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the parks, this is also your place. The pool is a nice place to relax during the busiest time of the day at the parks. If you are looking for a nice, but no frills, breakfast to fuel your morning, again, this is the place.

Room Tip: We always get the deluxe rooms to have more space. If you are just going to be sleeping in the room...
2  Thank stephp

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am so sorry to hear about the situation with the bed. Many guests comment on the softness of our mattresses, as we feature Serta Presidential Double Pillow Top Mattresses, and it seems as if the Front Desk Agent misunderstood your concern. Still there is no reason why they should not have noted your concern and had the bed checkout anyway. I have discussed your concern with my Staff to ensure this will not happen again. I am happy to know that you will be back and that you continue to be a loyal guest of the Candy Cane Inn. The next time you are back to visit, please be sure to contact me directly for your reservations. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to hearing from you. Warm regards!

Reviewed 18 October 2011

We’re just back from a trip to Disneyland in Anaheim and stayed at the Candy Cane Inn this time. We stayed there a few years back and it was nice, but have stayed elsewhere the last few trips for whatever reason. The Candy Cane Inn was a refreshing change and was great. They have very friendly staff and the rooms although on the slightly smaller side, are super clean. The rooms are set back off the street so are very quiet considering proximity to Disneyland. Unlike many other places these days near the park, parking is free and is not a problem. The distance to Disneyland is walk-able, but after a day of standing on your feet and running around the park, they have a free shuttle between the Inn and the park. We had a hard time getting a good internet connection, but it wasn’t that important to us. They have in room breakfasts which were very good and we felt very relaxed here. We’ll go back again.

Room Tip: Ask for a deluxe room instead of the standard.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
CandyCaneInn, General Manager at Candy Cane Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and I am delighted that you decided to return to our Inn. Our Deluxe rooms are about 45 square feet larger and the additional space is certainly helpful with multiple guests. We are currently are in the process of upgrading our WIFI system with a dedicated line being installed by our service provider. This should be completed by early December and we have been assured that this will improve connectivity and speed. Kind regards!

Reviewed 17 October 2011

We were able to book a last minute vacation and after reading the reviews for the surrounding hotels, The Candy Cane Inn seemed like the best choice. It was close, not across the street, but 1/4 mile walk away. They had free parking and a continental breakfast. We wanted to be able to walk back to the hotel to rest up if needed and they were close enough that I didn't even think about using their shuttle. For the price, I would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank Rob P

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to be of service on your recent visit. Yes, we do believe in providing the utmost of product and service with no hidden fees. Our Expanded Continental Breakfast, Exclusive Shuttle to the theme parks and Parking are all items included in our modest room rates. Thank you for your comments and feel free to contact me personally when returning as I would be delighted to assist with rates and reservations. Kind regards!

Reviewed 17 October 2011

We visit the CCI every October during our son's Fall Break...I so look forward to this trip. We stayed for 5 days last week and those 5 days flew by let me tell you. Yes, we love Disneyland, but the CCI is the icing on the cake. I honestly feel it's our second home. Love the staff, (hi James!!), the pool area, the breakfast, the flowers, the comfy clean rooms and of course the proximity to Disneyland. One night we went up to the second floor and had a great view of the fireworks. You know you are a regular when you go to check in and they pull up your reservation without my even giving my name!! Thanks again to Jeff and his amazing staff...we are counting down the days until next October...

The Napoli/Twohig Family

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

It is certainly our pleasure to make you feel like the Candy Cane Inn is your second home! James and our team of service professionals are delighted in providing exceptional service in the spirit of hospitality. Again, thank you for your comments and see you on your next visit!

Reviewed 16 October 2011

After a hiatus from staying at the CCI of several years and trying many other hotels when visiting the happiest place on earth, we decided to try out the CCI once again. Let me just say, this place is incredible. We are on our second of three nights currently and I have nothing bad to say. One caveat I need to disclaim, I typically stay at much more expensive and upscale hotels and during our hiatus, we stayed at Marriott, Sheraton and hyatt properties when in Anaheim. If you are going to Disneyland, there is not a hotel that offers the cleanliness convenience and atmosphere quite like CCI. This blend makes for the perfect stay. I can't say enough good about this property and the perfect niche it provides for the Disney going fanatic like myself

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank sumnereli

Thank you so much for returning and sharing your comments with fellow travelers. We strive in providing the utmost in quality, cleanliness and service while being cognizant of families travelling on a budget. We do appreciate your business and please feel free to contact when returning as it would be my pleasure to assist with rates and reservations. Kind regards!