“Perfect between Disney & Garden Walk”
Review of Candy Cane Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Candy Cane Inn
Ranked #4 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Highland
“Perfect between Disney & Garden Walk”
Reviewed 25 February 2009

My sister, her eighteen year old son, my fifteen year old son and I stayed at the Candy Cane Inn on January 31st. We were in town so that the boys could go to a concert at the House of Blues in Downtown Disney. This motel was the perfect location! Easy walking distance to Downtown Disney, Disneyland, California Adventure and the Anaheim Garden Walk. I usually stay at the Howard Johnson’s but decided on the Candy Cane because of it being between Downtown Disney and the Garden Walk which was perfect because my sister and I decided to see a movie at the Garden walk and it is really just about in the middle of Garden Walk and Downtown Disney. After checking in we walked to Downtown Disney looked around at shops and Disney Hotels, walked back to room then walked to the Garden walk to check out shops and restaurants and then walked back to Candy Cane Inn. Then took the complimentary shuttle back to Downtown Disney for dinner and then walked back to Garden Walk to the movie theater. It was a very short walk to each of these places and we also felt very safe. The motel is very cute and welcoming. The girl at the front desk was very sweet and offered the boys candy canes and gave them candy cane pens. Parking was not a problem at all. We parked right underneath our room which was on the second floor and we were very near the stairs. The room was very clean and nice. It is rather small, but fine if you are just going to sleep in it. Most people are at the Disney parks all day anyway. The beds were very comfortable and each had two flat pillows and two fluffy pillows so you can choose whichever your preference is. We did go down to the complimentary breakfast in the morning which was fine and we brought it back to the room (mainly because we were with teenage boys who tend to sleep in so we brought back their breakfast). I would definitely stay at the Candy Cane Inn again and probably will since when we checked out we were given a $10 gift certificate for our next stay! The motel is clean, attractive, safe, and comfortable, has a friendly staff, complimentary breakfast, pool, and shuttle and conveniently located. Would also serve well for anyone needing to be close the convention center. Kudos to Candy Cane Inn!!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank kimmm
CandyCaneInn, General Manager at Candy Cane Inn, responded to this review, 12 March 2009
Thank you for staying with us and please feel free to contact me directly should you need assistance in planning your next visit. Yes, the new Anaheim Gardenwalk is right across the corner from us and easily walking distance. Their array of stores and places for dining and entertainment is a fine addition to the Resort Area. Thank you again and warm regards!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
At a hotel near you
Reviewed 23 February 2009

Our previous Anaheim stays were either at Howard Johnsons or Residence Inn near the I-5 freeway. My husband and I decided to give Candy Cane Inn a try since we didn't have the kids with us. We enjoyed our stay. Our standard room was very clean. Though the hotel offered free shuttle, we walked the short distance to Disneyland. The free breakfast consisted of cereal, pastries, toast, milk, juice, etc was enough to get the morning started. The hotel offers free wi-fi which I took advantage of. Next time we're in town, we'll have to get a larger (premium) room for us and our kids. A standard room would be small for a family with three young kids.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AsianVista
CandyCaneInn, General Manager at Candy Cane Inn, responded to this review, 26 February 2009
Thank you for giving our Inn an opportunity on your most recent visit to Anaheim. I am delighted that you enjoyed our property and stay. Please contact me directly to plan your next visit as it would be my pleasure to provide you a complimentary upgrade to experience our Premium accommodations. We do appreciate your business and I look forward in speaking with you.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 19 February 2009

We decided to stay here based on the reviews and were not disappointed. For 1/4 the price of staying within Disneyland, we were within a 15 minute walk of the Disneyland/California Adventure entrances--we only rode the shuttle if it happened to be there. The grounds are lovely and the readily visible areas of the room were spotless. We did find an old lollipop and shampoo containers under the bedskirts though, and as other reviewers have noted, outside noise is pretty readily heard (our room was on the 2nd floor so it wasn't too bad). We weren't in the room enough to be bothered by it. We ended up picking up breakfast items from the buffet and eating them in our room, because of the woefully inadequate space in the breakfast area and the cold weather outside, but this was fine too. I can't imagine a better deal for this level of comfort.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
CandyCaneInn, General Manager at Candy Cane Inn, responded to this review, 24 February 2009
Thank you for staying with us and providing valuable feedback regarding your experience. I personally reviewed your comments with our housekeeping department and apologize for any inconvenience. Yes, we are a family hotel and the second floor is recommended for light sleepers. I am delighted to inform you that our new Bistro Tables and Chairs arrived today and this will increase our seating poolside. Thank you again and we look forward in seeing you again.
Morgan Hill, California
Reviewed 19 February 2009

Just returned from two nights at the Candy Cane Inn. Overall, it was a very positive experience.

The positives: The hotel is within an easy walking distance to Disneyland - although they also offer a free shuttle twice an hour (more about that in a minute....). Definitely a good value at $129/night. The room wasn't large, but certainly enough space for the three of us (two adults and a 14 year old boy). There was also a microwave and a mini fridge in the room, which was very convenient since there is a mini-market next door. They also offer a free continental breakfast every morning between 7:00-9:00.

The negatives: VERY loud hotel. From our room on the first floor you could hear cars pulling up and people entering and leaving their rooms, talking outside, etc. Even better however, was that the housekeeping staff would stand outside of our door and talk loudly early in the morning. If you plan on sleeping in at all (past 7:00am) I would recommend a second floor room. Also, the breakfast room is very small, so people were forced to either bring their food back to their room, or sit by the pool. This wouldn't be a bad option if it wasn't pouring rain! Finally, the shuttle bus doesn't always leave on schedule. We sat on the shuttle for 20 minutes yesterday while waiting for the driver to finish a conversation with a co-worker, only for him to step on board and announce "5 more minutes". Not sure if he decided to skip one of the runs, or what happened there. Had we known he wasn't going to leave on time, we would have chosen to walk. Finally, although the hotel offers free wi-fi, the signal strength was too weak to connect from our room.

Overall, we would stay here again. The value, cleanliness and location can't be beat.

1 Thank kmac64
CandyCaneInn, General Manager at Candy Cane Inn, responded to this review, 21 February 2009
Thank you for taking time to let us know of your experience at our Inn. First and foremost I would like to apologize for our associates speaking loudly in the morning and will personally address with our housekeeping staff. In regards to our guests, this is a family hotel and children of all ages can become excited arriving and leaving the hotel. We are happy to place guests on the second floor if they are light sleepers. As for the rain, yes this does place a damper on enjoying your breakfast around the pool and with the birds and greenery. WIFI is something that we continually work on to enhance the signal with additional access points and appreciate your feedback. Thank you again for your comments as we continually work to improve all areas of our Inn.
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 17 February 2009

For those who gave this place a negative response, I'm really wondering why?
The location was great for our Disneyland trip. It offers free shuttle to and from the park. Although we didn't use it since the park is in walking distance . That was a key plus for us. I felt our room was nice, very clean. With exstremly soft beds. Which I loved. But if you like a harder bed you may not find it there. They have a pool that we would have taken advantage of but had forgotten our bathing suits. And it looked like the pool is heated. They do offer free rental of movies but only in the premier rooms. Which was a bit of a disappointment, but not a deal breaker. I would highly recommend this hotel, and will be coming back on our next visit.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thatdog
CandyCaneInn, General Manager at Candy Cane Inn, responded to this review, 18 February 2009
Thank you for your comments as well as staying with us. We do appreciate and sincerely listen to all comments that are provided. This perception is valuable and we must keep an open mind and respond to feedback. We certainly do want to give the utmost of service and make our guests stay enjoyable. Yes, our pool, kiddie pool and spa are heated throughout the year for everyone's enjoyment. And please note if you bring your own VCR or DVD player we will let you borrow from our library of movies.
Indy
Reviewed 17 February 2009

We stayed at this motel two nights in October. While I thought it was a nice motel, it is just that, a motel. I would put it on the same level as a very nice Best Western or Quality Inn. If I could rank it 3.5 in Trip Advisor, I would. Better than 3 star, but not a 4 star.

The room and bathroom were very clean. The carpet was fairly new, and the shutters were a nice touch. The bathroom reminded me of my parents’ house – the vanity was the same layout as the bathrooms of the early 1960s. Not updated, but the layout works well.

Breakfast was nice – plenty of food to eat (donuts, fruit, oatmeal – standard continental breakfast fare.) The Inn also has gone above and beyond neighboring hotels by allowing free parking and a nice shuttle to Disney. If you are staying within walking distance of Disney (outside the property), I highly recommend this motel. It looked better than any other place we saw nearby.

My only complaint was the mattresses, which need to be replaced. We had a room with two queen beds – I made my husband sleep in the other bed the second night because I felt every movement he made…and my husband is not overweight. The beds were very “springy” to me, but others might find them comfortable. I have never made my husband move to another bed, so I think I might be on to something.

Overall, I recommend this motel. It was very convenient to Disneyland, and the best motel in the area. Don’t expect a four or five star hotel, such as a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. It just doesn’t compare to that. It’s a solid three star motel.

Tip: If you get the AAA discount online, make sure you have your AAA card with you. They do check for it. I typically travel with my card, so I was glad I had it on me.

• Stayed October 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
Thank you for staying with us and taking time to post your comment on Tripadvisor. This feedback is valuable and helps in making modifications to services. In regards to our mattresses they are less than a year old and are a Double Pillow Top. We did extensive research prior to installing; however this tends to be an item that differs with preference. We do pride ourselves in being a moderately priced Inn with an emphasis on service, quality and capturing the enjoyable surroundings of the property. Lastly, when booking with any discount we do ask that supporting documentation is presented at check-in. We look forward in seeing you again!
Texas
Reviewed 17 February 2009

This was probably our 20th visit or so. We find it so convenient and the new remodel to the rooms was very nice. I like the bedding much more than the old heavy comforters and huge decorative pillows. The room was very clean and employees were always attentive and helpful. We LOVE the shuttle and the current driver is much more friendly and helpful than the driver we had in 2007. He was joking around with us. The breakfast was nice to start of the day with, too. The only problem my husband had was that he was looking for an onsite business computer to check out some email from work and they don't have one. I don't know if they have wifi, because he didn't have his laptop. However, they were willing to run off our boarding passes for us, which was very helpful. They also gave us a $10 coupon to us to use if we stay again within a year. I believe it is for $10 nightly, but unsure if you can use it with a AAA discount or not. I know we will continue to stay here every year.

Although it is ultimately a motel, not hotel, there are advantages to being able to park right outside your room and not pay extra charges for valet parking, etc. It's all very convenient and that's why we love it.

• Liked — Shuttle to park
  • Disliked — no business computer available
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you so much for your loyalty and taking your time for this valuable feedback. Mr. Lee, our new driver is very friendly and a good addition to our wonderful team. In regards to your comment, we do have WIFI throughout the property. For our guests who do not bring their personal computer the front desk is delighted to assist with directions or printing boarding passes. As to the Rewards Certificate you were presented with at check-out, these are a $10 per night savings on your next stay and can be used in addition to AAA or AARP discounts. Thank you again for your business, it is most appreciated.