“Great little motel”
Review of Candy Cane Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Candy Cane Inn
Ranked #5 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Los Angeles, CA
“Great little motel”
Reviewed 4 February 2007

We just came back from a weekend at the Disneyland Resort. We originally planned to stay at one of the Disney properties but that plan was quickly tossed when we learned that Paradise Pier, the "budget" option at the resort, would cost us $200 per night.

The Candy Cane Inn is a motel...your room will face the parking lot there is no room service, etc, etc. Doors slamming shut woke us up in the morning as did other guests' candid conversations on the walkway. However, the rooms are clean and nicely decorated. And although the hotel's website makes the hotel seem a little chessy, it really isn't. The service was good and the staff was helpful. The continental breakfast was very good: bagels, donuts, croissants, danishes, muffins, cereal, instant oatmeal, juice, milk, coffee.

The fireworks show is visible from the second floor of the south side of the hotel. Our room, however, was right in the middle of the complex and the view was obstructed by California Adventure's Tower of Terror. My advice: don't watch the fireworks show from ANY hotel room. It just doesn't work without the music.

The hotel is about 10 minutes from Disneyland turnstiles. If you absolutely HAVE to stay as close to the park as possible (outside of the Disney properties), stay at the Best Western Park Place Inn or Park Vue Inn.

Nearby eating options include an IHOP and Subway. There's a 7-11 just south of the hotel.

• Liked — Price, proximity to resort, family-friendly
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
13 Thank EBR02

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 19 January 2007

I booked a 4 night stay at this hotel based on the reviews I read on this website. At the time, it was rated #1. It was actually a motel (i.e. the doors to the rooms were outdoors) as opposed to a hotel. I had a room with 2 queen beds and a bar fridge. The room was clean and cute but a tad on the small side, as there was insufficient space for 2 suitcases. The bathroom (again small) consisted of a toilet and bathtub and the sink was located outside the bathroom. The toiletries were a bit harsh on the skin/hair.

It was located next to the Disney property, so the walk to Disney only took about 10 minutes, but I noticed there were hotels across the street that were closer to Disney's main gates. Don't know how they looked on the inside or what their pricing was.

The free continental breakfast consisted of oatmeal, cold cereals, pastries (i.e. croissants, danishes, donuts), bagels, fresh fruits, toast, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, apple/orange juice, milk, cream cheese & jam. There were about half a dozen tables in the breakfast room so people dispersed to the pool area (which is small and located in the middle of the parking lot) with their goodies.

The hotel staff allowed us to park the car in their parking lot on the day we checked out so were able to spend one more day at the park without having to pay for parking.

Even though I liked the hotel, I didn't understand why it was rated #1. It wasn't spectacular, but it was good enough for me and I would recommend it.

• Liked — Location to Disney, the shutters, sweet/juicy oranges
  • Disliked — The person at the front desk didn't know where the closest supermarket was, no access to shared computer, small breakfast room
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank TAFanToronto
Los Angeles
Reviewed 18 January 2007

I recently stayed at the Candy Cane Inn for 1-night on an impromptu trip to Disneyland resort for my sister's birthday.

I'd read the reviews here and went ahead and booked it through their website. Booked only a few days beforehand, I found the CCI was priced reasonably ($125.35, w/ tax, for a Friday night, 2 adults, 2 children) and had a room available.

Things I Enjoyed:

-The Grounds: They've very well-kept and pretty. Makes the place feel off-the beaten path when in actuality they're so close to the park.

-The Shuttle: CCI is a fairly short walk from the main gates to Disneyland and California Adventure (though I wouldn't recommend it if you have younger kids, particularly for a return-walk), they have a dedicated shuttle (NOT the Anaheim Resort Shuttle, which can be confusing). It runs on the half-hour and on the hour TO the parks and on the :15 and :45 returning to the hotel. Drivers were always friendly and it was never crowded.

-The Breakfast: CCI offers a nice continental breakfast. Fresh fruit (bananas, apples), glazed doughnuts, danish/pastries, muffins, oatmeal (in packets), cold cereals, coffee, tea, apple & orange juice, & milk. Attentive staff kept the plates, cups & food well stocked. Breakfast room was busy and quite crowded, but we lucked out and got a table as another family left.

Things That Could Be Improved:

-The Front Desk Staff: As I've read in other reviews, the CCI's front-desk staff is not friendly AT ALL. My check-in experience was a textbook case of unprofessionalism/stupidity. I had to wait for a clerk to recognize my presence while she chatted with the other (non-busy) clerk. As she checked me into the computer, I asked about the shuttle times. She proceeded to get a printout of the shuttle schedule from a very large stack (behind the counter) and told me when the next one ran. She DID NOT OFFER me a schedule. This left my mouth agape and I simply took my room keys and just left to my room. Not one friendly thing was said or done (no greeting, no smile) the entire check-in.

This same cold, sterile process was repeated at check-out where I was instructed where to sign like I was being checked into prison . There was no 'thanks for staying with us' or similar.

Neutral:

-The Rooms: The rooms are quite small (though I expected this) but clean. There's a mini-fridge in the televsion armoire, which is nice, though it is quite "mini"; Good for a few drinks, milk for little ones, etc. Coffee pot in room. Cable service. You spend so little time in your room that the size isn't too important, unless you're staying more than a few days...might start getting cabin fever.

Overall I enjoyed my stay, but the attitude of the front-desk staff left a sour taste in my mouth.

Unsure of whether I would stay here again. There are other hotels just as close to the park gates (some even closer, right across the street from the gates), most with lower rates.

The ambiance is nice, though I don't know it's worth feeling unwelcome.

Stayed January 2007
11 Thank shadowbox86
Maryland
Reviewed 13 January 2007

Adorable. What a nice change from the usual chains. Didn't miss Mickey stuff one bit. Very close to park although we used shuttle.
Breakfast was ok, adequate, nothing special. That's ok. Very easy to walk to. $107. per nite with AAA. Absolutely no complaints. I was glad to be forewarned abouth the front desk staff. They were adequate, although not super friendly. Rooms on the smaller side, but that's ok. We weren't in it much, except to sleep.

• Liked — convenience, price
  • Disliked — smaller rooms
5 Thank familyfunMaryland
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 10 January 2007

You can't go wrong with the Candy Cane Inn. Our family of 5 loved it. It's within easy walking distance to Disneyland, but there's also a free convenient shuttle with friendly drivers. The free breakfast is substantial, including cereal and toasted bagels--not just stale pastries like other hotels. The room is very comfy and exceptionally clean. The property itself is so beautifully maintained, and we found it to be very quiet and family oriented, with very friendly staff. The pool is small, but darling. I doubt we will ever stay anywhere else when we come to Disneyland!

• Liked — Convenient in multiple aspects.
  • Disliked — Small pool--probably crowded in the summer
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
12 Thank Lauriejed
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 January 2007

We stayed at the Candy Cane Inn for a few days after Xmas. We selected it because of its proximity to Disneyland and the fact that the Disney hotels were already sold out. Let me preface by saying that 1) we always stay at the onsite properties at DisneyWORLD, 2) we have never stayed on property at DisneyLAND, & 3) we usually stay at the Homewood Suites in Garden Grove when we go to Disneyland.

I was very impressed with the property and plan to stay here from now on. We booked a premium room (I think it was only $10 more per night), and they brought us continental breakfast in our room, did nightly turn down service complete with little bags of disney candies, and we had free video rental from the first desk which actually was nice to use in the few evenings when we were too tired to get back out.

It is the first hotel you come to when coming out of disneyland and turning to the right (on the same side of the street), and it also has a shuttle that runs on the half hour. I have a chronic condition and we have small kids and both options worked great. The room was a typical motel room, but it did have a small microwave, refrigerator, & coffee machine with grinder. I am not used to staying in motels, so that bothered me a little at first with the bus noise, but it didn't wake me up during the night and we felt safe on the property. You can see the fireworks if you go outside on the 2nd floor...they even have little sitting nooks where you can sit. Free continental breakfast was great to get the morning going. I don't think I will ever pay the extra to pay on site at Disneyland to feel like one of the masses, when you can pay about 1/2 of the price and feel special. You can also buy tickets at the front desk for the same price as advance Disney online ticket pricing.

We like the Homewood suites, also, you just have to take the shuttle because it is definitely not within walking distance.

From now on, this will be our hotel of choice in the Anaheim area.

• Liked — Location to Disneyland
  • Disliked — The fact that it was a motel and not a hotel
  • Tips/Secrets — Pay the few dollars extra for a premium room
10 Thank flowergal
Devon, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2007

We stayed at the CCI December 29, 2006 to January 4, 2007

Everything that people say about the place is true. The grounds are breath taking and stunningly beautiful. The rooms are very clean and the staff take great pride in their work. Every staff member that we encountered were friendly and helpful. Our room was spacious enough for our family of four and we aslo had a rollaway bed in our room.

My children loved the pool area and it was great to soak away our sore walking feet in the hot tub. Breakfast was ample and exactly what we needed heading for a busy day at Disneyland. Both kids enjoyed having a cup of hot chocolate every morning.

We stayed on the second floor facing Disneyland and were able to see the fireworks when we were not at the park. We also used the table and chairs outside our room frequently to sit and visit and enjoy the lush flowers and plants around us.

The families we met while siiting arround the pool were freindly most said that they had been coming to the CCI for 10 years now and that they always come back becuase it is such a great place.

Now the shuttle was AWESOME. The drivers were friendly and helpful. The shuttle came every half hour on time every time. We did walk and it is a short 5 min walk to the gate but after a full day at the park it was nice to ride.

We also were able to go to many eateries thatr were very close proximity to this property either by walking or taking the shuttle.

We are already planning our next stay and it will be at the CCI for sure. Try this place you will not be disapointed.

• Liked — The beautiful well kept grounds
  • Disliked — nothing
13 Thank crazydisney