“Very nice but luke warm!”
Review of Candy Cane Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Candy Cane Inn
Ranked #4 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 24 May 2007

This really is a very nice motel like everyone says. Our only problem was that the water was never hot. Our showers and baths were luke warm with only the hot water on. I never told the front desk so I don't know if it was only our room. Also, the light in the bathroom is connected to a fan so whenever the light is on the fan runs making it even chillier during a luke warm bath.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
5  Thank pjmurfam
There are newer reviews for Candy Cane Inn

Reviewed 16 May 2007

We just returned from another Disneyland visit and, as usual, stayed at the Candy Cane Inn. We have been going to Disneyland every couple of years since 1988 when our kids were 3 and 5. They are now 21 and 23 and I can't count how many times we have stayed at the Candy Cane Inn. We have switched a couple of times but always ended up going back because it is the best value.

The rooms are always clean and quiet. The beds are very comfortable and the air conditioning works great. The gardens are beautiful and the flowers provide a wonderful smell throughout the complex. It is an oasis right next to the Disneyland.

They have a reliable shuttle service and we found the staff to be friendly and helpful. When we needed a cab, they offered to call one for us and we were delighted to be picked up by a town car with leather seats and a well groomed driver and it didn't cost any more than any other cab service.

For the price, comfort and convenience to Disneyland, you can't beat the Candy Cane Inn.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
9  Thank BeverlyVancouver
Reviewed 14 May 2007

We just stayed at the CCI for one night, to try it out based on the rave reviews on Trip advisor. We were very pleased that te reviews were right. Just remember this is a motel, however t is the nicest motel I have ever been in. The landscaping is beautiful and makes you feel like your in a lush garden, Great location, rooms are smallish even for 2 adults one toddler, but manageable. Free continental breakfast, free parking, free shuttle to and from park, free wireless internet. I stress FREE because in researching you will be charged for all thoses things at other motel/hotels. A big Plus!! It is slightly more expensive then other motels but its a hybrid between mo/hotel. Overall great place. Will be booking our 3 night stay in June there.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
10  Thank jrmama
Reviewed 27 April 2007

We just got back from our trip to Disneyland. We spent 4 nights at the Candy Cane Inn. The grounds are beautiful and I couldn't get over the gorgeous flowers and wonderful floral smell every time you walk to your room. The staff were all friendly but I was very impressed by the helpful and warm shuttle drivers ~ although Disney is in walking distance (about 15 minutes if you are walking with toddlers) we did take the shuttle a few times. The room was very nice and had a warm, inviting decor. While small, there was plenty of
room for our family and we never felt cramped. We were on the first floor and close to the pool (which my kids loved!) and never had any issue with noise ~ the beds were comfortable, the room was clean, and
the room service was outstanding. The free continental breakfast was a nice way to start the morning (and save a little money!) and offered a variety of juices, donuts, bagels, and muffins. A huge bonus is there is a mini-mart next door so if you need toiletries or soda/snacks/etc it is only steps away. There are also several places to get a quick bite to eat across the street (Subway, Mexican food, and a pizza place) though we mainly ate at Disney. We were very happy
with our stay and would definitely go back to the Candy Cane Inn ~ I don't think you will find a nicer place at this price, and with the comfortable accomodations and close promiximity to Disneyland, why stay anywhere else? Thanks CCI! :)

13  Thank lilmamaArizona
Reviewed 24 April 2007

I like many other people had read the reviews on tripadvisor and decided to give the CC a try. I could not have been more pleased. The accomodations were great. Remember, this is a hotel, not your home. There is not a lot of space to put away your clothes like at home, but you are on vacation wearing shorts anyway. We did not have any issues with noise like some reviewers have claimed. The rooms were very nice, breakfast was adequate, housekeeping seemed very on top of things. The hotel is very, very clean which is something I liked. All of the employees I came across seemed to take pride in their jobs which is not very common in today's world. James at the front desk was very accomodating and deserves recognition.
The reason this hotel delivers bang for your buck is the proximity to Disneyland along with the rates. When you consider the nightly rate and how close you are to the parks you will easily see that this is the best choice to make when going to Disneyland. We have three children and figured we would be exhausted and have to take the shuttle daily. We took the shuttle only a few times. The hotel is very close and even after all the walking at Disney, it is still fine to walk back to the hotel. We will definitely stay at the Candy Cane inn again next time we are in Anaheim, and you should also.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
11  Thank jp_1674
Reviewed 21 April 2007

So much has been said in these reviews about CCI that confirm what I discovered on my recent stay over the Easter weekend, one of Disneyland Resort's (DLR) busiest periods. CCI, with it dedicated shuttle to DLR, seems to appeal to families, especially families with small children or perhaps family members with physical or mobility challenges. (I'm just guessing on the latter, as I saw mostly families with small children riding the shuttle). The CCI's focus on appealing to families also seemed to guide its decision to offer a free, albeit carb-heavy, continental breakfast.

GENERAL ASSESSMENT: Keeping those things in mind, then, I found the CCI to be a pleasant place to stay for a short trip to DLR. I would recommend it to those who wish to stay near the parks, without paying DLR hotel prices, and who wish to spend most of their time in the parks. Since there have already been so many reviews on this motel, the bulk of my review will try to focus on the details of the hotel and to compare it with another DLR-area hotel that is often promoted as family-friendly: the HOJO Anaheim, at which I also stayed recently.

OVERVIEW: CCI is well-kept and, dare I say, well-loved by its employees and guests alike. There's a nostalgic feeling to CCI, which one might call outdated if less generous, to the grounds and rooms. Even though the rooms and grounds have been kept up and renovated, the CCI (like the HOJO) reflect the time and place of its original construction. It feels a little like staying at your parents' idea of a family vacation (or perhaps your grandparents'). I liked this nostalgic factor, but it's not for everyone.

GROUNDS: The grounds are clean, with a good amount of greenery, if not the overtly manicured landscaping of the HOJO. It really served as more of a frame for the motel than an attraction in its own right. The grounds are equivalent enough to me that neither CCI nor HOJO have a marked advantage. I do believe the location of CCI means it receives less traffic noise than the HOJO, which means for a quieter experience. Advantage to CCI or HOJO? CCI, barely.

ROOMS: The rooms are somewhat small, although they will fit two queen-sized beds and a cot, if necessary. [I stayed in what I think is called a premium room, a notch above standard; they do offer other gradations with more options, including more space, services, and a microwave.] The rooms also help maximize their space by including the bathroom countertop/sink area in the sleeping/living area. This is similar to the HOJO Anaheim. There seems to be less drawer space than the HOJO, which is keeping with its generally smaller rooms. CCI has a smaller refrigerator, which might be of importance if traveling with more than one other person. Of more importance to me were the beds and towels. CCI's towels and sheets are markedly softer than those at the HOJO; this advantage is offset, though, by CCI's softer beds. Depending on how much time you would spend in your room, the HOJO is the slightly more spacious and well-designed option, with better beds. CCI or HOJO? HOJO, barely.

POOL: There is a small heated pool area at CCI, much smaller than the HOJO. It wasn't overly busy during the afternoon times I visited (which could have been due to some gray, slightly cooler temperatures during my stay). Both CCI and HOJO are suitable for reading by the pool, but the HOJO has a pool one in which one can swim. If one is interested in mid-afternoon dips in the pool, the HOJO is the better choice. CCI or HOJO? HOJO.

CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST: The pool area is where CCI's continental breakfast is served. It is crowded every morning, so CCI encourages people to take their continental breakfast to their rooms. That said, the continental breakfast offers an advantage over the HOJO if one wants to visit DLR first thing in the morning; the carbs (bagels, muffins, bread, cereal, pastry) are pretty bland but provide a quick breakfast, and are supplemented by fresh fruit, juice, and coffee or hot chocolate. Given 1) that most people who staying the area want to visit DLR and 2) the importance of early-morning DLR touring, especially during peak seasons, CCI's continental breakfast gives it a huge advantage over HOJO. I found it saved me not only money but about 30 minutes of a.m. preparation time--nothing to overlook when the parks open at 8 a.m. Unless one were going to eat breakfast inside DLR, preferred to go out to breakfast, or favored tasty, quality meals over the standard fare, the continental breakfast provides CCI with its big advantage. CCI or HOJO? CCI.

STAFF: In terms of front-desk staffing and maintenance, I found the CCI to be comparable to the HOJO. The front-desk staff was efficient, knowledgeable, and professional. I found them friendly without being warm, a good balance. The housekeeping was prompt and thorough for a motel service, even more so than the very good staff at the HOJO (perhaps due to the CCI's smaller size. I have no complaints about either staff, though, and would assess them both favorably. CCI or HOJO? CCI, barely.

DETAILS: What follows is a pro-con list.

CCI's Pros
--Dedicated shuttle, continental breakfast, quieter rooms, soft towels and sheets
--Free wireless internet service, free parking, coin laundry
--Location: seems slightly closer to DLR, next door to a mini-mart, 7-11, and fast food (Subway, Chinese Buffet, Pizza)
--An exercise room with one treadmill, one stationary bike, and a weight machine

CCI's Cons
--Smallish rooms, with softer beds
--No substantial room discounts; a bit pricey for a motel (although that's the DLR-area market)
--Wireless internet is slow and spotty at times
--Location: not as near family-style restaurants

SUMMARY: Families should consider staying at CCI, especially families with small children. CCI's proximity to the parks, its shuttle, its continental breakfast, and its small size all offer advantages to the family visiting DLR. If money is a concern, though, consider HOJO. HOJO, even though its price is also too high for the type of accommodation, HOJO offers seasonal and package discounts. Adults without such concerns might consider the nostalgia or kitsch factor of CCI--I certainly will stay there at least once more over my visits--but may find the place less of a bargain.

PS: I visited for a special occasion, in addition to the Easter Weekend, and informed CCI when I made my reservation. On the day of the occasion, the CCI staff left a note and a half-dozen cookies (3 different kinds) in my room. It was very sweet.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
29  Thank dkpeterson
Reviewed 20 April 2007

Our family loves Disneyland, and to us, a visit to Disneyland also means staying at the Candy Cane. The people are so friendly, you feel like you are staying with family. The rooms are clean and extremely comfortable - the breakfast great. Be sure and book early as they are very busy. We look forward to our next trip.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family