“pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #94 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Santa Cruz, California
“pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

OK, so I kinda found this hotel by accident, since it's next door neighbor with whom I had a reservation could not accept my credit or debit cards through their machine and were only willing to accept "cash only" for the first night. Sadly, I got a room across the street at the Super 8, in a room that did not have a microwave or refrigerator. The LIttle Boy Blue had newly remodeled rooms that were perfect and had a microwave and refrigerator. It was only $60 a night and had all the amenities I needed. When at Disneyland, you only need a place to sleep and nap, anyway.

Pros: Clean room.
Great shower
New fixtures, new carpeting
microwave
'fridge
big screen LCD TV with cable
A/C
400 yards from the FREE Disneyland shuttle in the Anaheim Garden Walk parking garage (I think the best kept secret in the area). The bus would leave even if I was the only person on it...like a private bus straight to the park with no stops!!!)
Still only a 20 minute walk to or from the parks (which seems like forever after a long day, which is why the free bus shuttle is so amazing)
Friendly staff
Small pool
Coffee, OJ and muffins in the morning (although the coffee is really bad)
VERY affordable
Friendly owners

Cons: No in-room coffee maker
No room safe for personal belongings
No alarm clock

All in all, this will be a great motel to return to, especially given the price and the easy access to the free shuttle. They had rooms available and even let me check in 8 hours early (at 7am instead of 3pm...how accommodating!!).

Room Tip: Ask to see the room you'll be staying in. Some of the rooms are not yet completely remodeled fro...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Smudge R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Shakopee, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

I stayed at this motel. Everything was clean and new. I got a great rate. Service was nice. I found out the new owners had renovated the property recently and I thought they did a great job. I was shocked by the old pictures posted on Trip advisor. This motel is much better than before. I would stay here again. I didn't end up taking pictures of the property. Trip advisor needs to update the photos of the new motel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank James J
Aberdeen, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

We booked a room through Priceline for this hotel, paid for by our credit card number. When we got there, they said the reservation was not confirmed, although I had the confirmation number in my hand. The "Manager", who appeared to be on drugs, said the only way we could get the room was to give her cash...not another credit card, debit card....only cash. That seemed odd.....so we called Bookings.com, where our reservation was confirmed. We were told that the charge for the room would be processed once we registered. We told the manger on drugs this, but she still insisted on cash. So we left, the next day they started charging the credit card for the room, even though they denied they could charge the card without our signatures. This hotel has a long list of criminal problems. For us, we are contacting the California State Attorney General's office and reporting this as fraud. We will also be calling the FBI, and Anaheim police since I suspect there is a lot of drug activity there.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel....RUN FROM THIS HOTEL. Don't stay there, they are on drugs and criminals
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Olga H
Port Orange FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

Yes it was a business trip to a convention and trade show however, being from Florida, I had to do Disneyland one day. Weather was great and I could walk to both the convention center and local restaurants. Disney was literally a 3 minute drive. Upon checking in was told hotel was under new management and that I was getting a newly remodeled room. Everything was clean and comfy and I was able to walk right out my downstairs room to the pool. No issues with either the condition of the rooms or pool. For $60 a night in this area it is hard to find something safe and clean and most importantly quiet. I got all of that. The new owners run a tight ship and seem to have put a lot of money into this place. Even though it is nothing super fancy and a basic place to lay your head, I also prefer new beds, upgraded rooms and cleanliness then anything else. For the price and proximity to what I needed I will definitely stay here again next year's convention.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Marcus L
Manistee, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

A friend and I spent a week in California in January 2012, with three nights at the Little Boy Blue. We chose the hotel because I was attending an event at the Convention Center and it was very close, and it was a very inexpensive room. (We were traveling very much on a budget so price was of the utmost importance.)

The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. The continental breakfast was nothing to write home about, but it was nice to have the option to grab a danish and coffee before we headed out every day. The location was perfect and the surroundings gorgeous.

The room itself was older and had patched areas on the wall where work had been done and the paint hadn't been fixed, but it was clean. There was a refrigerator and microwave in the room, which was nice to help us save even more money by being able to eat meals in the room.

When we checked out, we were waiting for someone to come pick us up, but they were stuck in a traffic jam in Los Angeles. The man at the desk was kind enough to tuck our suitcases into a secure place so we could go eat some lunch while we waited.

It was a no-frills stay, but it was a good value for our budget trip.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Tucson
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Subject: Little Boy Blue Motel, Anaheim

I would like to let you know about the service and results of my stay at Little Boy Blue Motel. On March 31st, I arrived around 11:30-12:00. I went into the tiny lobby to be greated by the managers wife. I showed her my reservation papers and the total costs of the room of $420.00 for 9 nights. The lady began punching up numbers on a calculator after taking my bank card that I used, and told me my total will be $490.00.
I asked the lady what the additional $70 charge was for, and she stated that its a state tax of 15% and a hotel tax of 2%, total of 17%. I showed her that taxes have already been added to the price of the room, she stated again that they always charge an additional 17% on top of what the booking company charges. I wasnt happy with that, yet I told her to go ahead. I was issued room #120 (pics will be follow below), and when I entered the room, it had a horible stench of mold, garbage and long beach (fishy). The a/c unit was dismantled and laying on the floor. I continued to check the room finding the tv was about to slide of its rolling top onto the floor (old, heavy set), the refridgerator was dirty and no microwave (no big deal there about the microwave), then walked into the bathroom to find used towels and dirty ones, mold spores on the ceiling corners, broken cabinet, no towel holder-just brackets, rusted light fixture and the walls and doors where absolutely filthy. A friend of mine came over to walk to Disneyland with me and met me at the hotel. When he entered the room, He looked at me and asked what that stinch was cause it was horrible. My friend and I took a few cleaning wipes to clean the place to hopefully make it better, it was horrid. In one pic of the bathroom door, there is a clean strip just about the door knob that I did. It's getting too much to bear at this point now. I shouldnt have to 'clean' their room! He (my friend) also told me that management wanted his information and vehicle number for records. At that point, we both thought he was going to be added on to my room after I already booked as "single'. As we left the room, there were items in the walk way that would have been by Osha standards a "hazard" as you will see in the pics of which were in the entry way to my room.
During the check of the room, I also discovered that the view out of my window was a gargage dumpster and the window was unable to be closed completely.
If a fire should have errupted, the fire alarm was missing. As I pulled back on the sheets, there were a few stains on the sheets like they havent been washed properly. I forgot to add (pics to show)that entering and exiting my room was blocked with miscellaneous items that would possibly prevent me from having a clear passage from escaping a fire.
I returned to the desk and asked for a different room. The manager came out and walked with me to inspect the room for the reasons I stated. He claimed that the window, cabinet and the a/c will be fixed. As he offered me the room 119, next to 120, it to was also in just as bad a shape. Why the fronts of the a/c's were dismantled were never explained. But the stinch in both rooms were horrific. I explained to the manager that Im allergic to mold and does he have anything else? He claimed that the two rooms were the only ones available.
So, I accepted the room and hoped for the best. As I awoke the next morning, I was feeling mighty sick and hard to breath. I immediately went to the lobby and told the management that I am checking out. I could not spend anymore time in the room especially overnight. It was obvious that I was ill. Although he was not happy, he did proceed to do a refund. In this process, the check card machine would not allow a refund. He did, in disgruntlement only charged me $35.10 opposed to the origional $53 per night (much higher than I agreed to) and refunded my money. I made sure all this was in writing as well. During this time, the manager had to make a phone call and contact the company and the owner about the machine to be fixed/programed for the refund and explain to the owner, why the charges and loss of sale.
As the repair man showed up, so did the owner. The manager was desperate to keep me in the hotel at this point and offered me to stay in another room for 1 more night free and no other nights required. I reminded him of his explaining that he had no more rooms, yet now he had another. During this conversation, the owner and the repair man were present. As the manager showed me the room, better, but still had a musk smell. I stated back to him, "this is just for tonight, right? like you said and that would be all for no charge?" The manager turned to me with a mad look on his face and stated, "I said I will give you a free night if you stay for the other 7 too". I replied to him that is not what he stated in the lobby. As we entered the lobby, I told the owner and the repair man, that I definately want out if Im going to be over charged and bribed into staying for the remainder of my stay when he already stated that I would get the 1 night free, and nothing else. They looked at me and agreed, for that is what was said, then changed, I would look for another place as well. At this point, the manager came out and grumbled at me that he is not going to give me the offer. I told him I am fine with that and that I will be looking elsewhere for another place to stay.
I did look on another booking company on my phone and found a true to price, and excellent room for the remainder of my stay. I like to keep my options open, and I will use them again. Just at that moment, my search popped up a place, so I went with that and was extremely happy with the results and the price being $100 cheaper made my vacation fabulous!
I am going to end this letter with letting you know that I will never again accept "Little Boy Blue" ever. They like to overcharge, and put you in hazardous, smelly rooms. The 3rd room was somewhat better, but still was bad.
Travelers beware! what may be cheap is just what you get and pay more later!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Trish H
sandiego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Our church group stayed here for the Religious Education convention. I would recommend another hotel, even though it is conveniently located near Convention Center and Disneyland. Not sure what our Director paid, but I'm sure for a few dollars more, we would all have been more comfortable. Several times our room key would not open the door, I had to go to the office repeatedly for re-keying, until finally the card lock would not work anymore and the manager had to open our room with his metal key, so we were without a key. Inside the rooms are spacious but in need of major updating -- our phone did not have a dial tone, our microwave did not work (manager said we could use his), the smoke alarm was not hooked up, only had the base, no battery or cover (major safety violation), bath towels are thin and itsy-bitsy bars of soap are provided, but no tissue paper, bathroom shower curtains, walls and floors are extremely worn. The continental breakfast is very meager, light brown coffee, orange drink (not juice), didn't try the apple juice, a few danish pastries and mini blueberry muffins (all prepackaged, but not sure if they were fresh) and a loaf of bread for toasting. Time for serious remodeling. Owners tried to accommodate us, but there is just too much needed to recommend this hotel no matter what the cost.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends