“A good place, depending on what you pay”

Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area
Ranked #44 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
San Jose, California
“A good place, depending on what you pay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I paid $75 a nite through Priceline (bidding). For this price I was satisfied.

The Pros:
The hotel is inviting from the outside with a great pool and spa. Definitely not what you think of when you think of "Holiday Inn". The hotel provides several luggage carts to ferry your stuff to your room. Upon arrival the staff was friendly and we got our room on the 9th floor (the top floor). I went back to the front desk to ask for another suitcase rack and within two minutes there was a knock on the door and an employee had the extra rack.

The hotel provides some toiletries if needed. They don't offer to let you reuse your towels to "be green", which to me I like because i want new towels each night. The A/C unit was top notch and had a digital thermostat on the wall. The room provided a fridge, coffee maker, iron, and a safe. You have your choice of firm or soft pillows, each are provided and labeled on the bed.

We ate at the restaurant for breakfast on our last morning there and it was a pleasant experience. The staff was friendly, the food was prompt and good, and kids eat free keeping the cost down. It was a welcome change from the previous days of McDonalds for breakfast on the way to Disneyland.

The elevators are fast and there are three of them. We never had to wait more than 20 seconds for an elevator. The public areas of the hotel were very nice. They have a workout room as well. They have an arcade I heard, but I never ventured to see it.

The Cons
The hotel room was showing some signs of wear, especially in the bathroom. There was a dime size piece of the tub missing (black spot on the tub). Some of the trim needed repainting, esp near the floor. The TV is an old tube TV...not that were were there to watch TV. The hotel had a lot of channels but no Disney Channel, which would be nice for the kids since we are at Disneyland and all.

Our room was facing the parking lot and there is construction work being done next door. I think they are expanding an overpass over the freeway or something. One of the nights they were out there doing work late. The other nights they were not (likely due to rain). This isnt the hotel's fault of course.

There is no free breakfast, but kids get to eat free at the restaurant downstairs.

One of the nights after Disneyland both of our room keys no longer worked. I went to the front desk and they reswiped the cards which worked. They tried to tell me, however, that it was our fault and that we needed to keep the keys away from credit cards and cell phones. Im not sure what they expect you to do with the card keys then.

Parking is limited in the late hours. I was always able to find a spot however. The location of the hotel is odd as it is off of a one way street. If coming from Disneyland on I-5 take the Disney Way exit (NOT Katella Ave) and follow signs for Manchester Ave.

Overall:
For me it is about what I got for what I paid. I paid $75 a nite and I was satisfied. But I got this price from priceline by bidding and you aren't guaranteed any particular hotel when you go that route. The normal rate looks to be $110 and for that price I would consider Embassy Suites (which had a deal for $115 at the time) or Aryes Inn near the Honda Center. Both are very nice and have a great hot breakfast for free.

For $75 a nite though, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I bid $75 on priceline and I got this hotel. The room rate to book directly is much higher (around...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

While our initial greeting was not as welcoming & warm as I would have expected (Ie: a rather gruff, unfriendly employee), subsequent interactions with the staff were pleasant & professional.

The room was comfortable & clean, though the interior design was a little 'tired'. The halls could have benefitted from a bit more attention from housekeeping, as plates & empty bottles often sat outside rooms for some time.

The hotel should also adjust the room doors so they don't slam, as the noise was sometimes quite irritating.

The restaurant was fine, standard fare & fairly priced, with good service.

All in all the hotel was good & comfortable.

• Stayed March 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Dear htravelbug,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your room accommodations as well as the service at our restaurant. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry the experience at check in was less than satisfactory. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reference # 27568609
Tucson,AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Stayed here in September for a week long trip to Disneyland and LOVED IT!!

Front desk staff super healpful. Had a 5th floor room facing the pool so it was nice. Rooms were clean as were corridors and entryways. Carpets had just been cleaned so they were "moist".

Room itself had comfortable beds and adequate towels and also shampoos, soaps and the like. Made use of the inroom safe and the seperate enclosed closet as well as dresser were much appreciated for the length of our stay.

While this is a little further from Disney we didn't mind it as we didn't want to be super close to all the "commotion". The ART pickup was right infront of the hotel, well off to the side a little, but on premises and we never had to wait longer then 20 minutes for a bus to the Park. Plus for 20 bucks unlimited use for four people....can't be beat! I enjoyed not having to plunk over $15 a day for parking and dealing with headaches and lines. Had enough of that in there!

Breakfast at the hotel was great. We received free vouchers for breakfast each night of our stay and while the choice was limited the pancakes were large, the potatoes were seasoned perfectly, bacon was never greasy or overcooked and with choice of coffee or juice it was more then enough to get us and the kids moving for the day. There was only one morning where service was a little slow but it was a Saturday and we did come down a little later than what we should have.

The pool area is amazing! Large pool was more than roomy to hold bunches of kids and keep us adults who just wanted to lounge from getting splashed. The jacuzzi while a bit removed from the pool was a nice little secluded escape and was super nice. Table around the pool area were always clean and tidy. Plenty of towels always available and if there were none the convienent phone outside by the pool bathroom area made it super easy to request more or simply order drinks by the pool.

The game room was decent. Nothing special but then again I am not a video game junkie. My 6 and 7 year old seemed to like it though.

All in all this was a wonderful stay. I am sure I am leaving other things out but we had a blast and can't wait until 2013 when we go back again!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank QuixotikalOne
Kaneohe, Hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

I booked an executive suite for my honeymoon and when my wife and I came in the entry way carpet floor was soaking wet, there was no bathtub, there were flies in the room and vacuum lent left on the lamp shade. On top of this when I came back to the hotel later on I checked for parking and there was none in the parking lot nor the shared lot with the neighboring hotel, even though one customer is allowed to take up 4 parking spots with one vehicle. When I confronted the front desk about the issues they said they had nothing to take care of flies and they told me to simply wait my turn at the lobby until a parking spot opened up! I waited 20 minutes to park in my own lot and I had to deal with flies in my face all not on my honeymoon. I didn't pay for this kind of treatment. Never staying at another Holiday Inn again because of this crap!

Room Tip: I picked the most expensive room on the top floor and it was supposed to be the biggest. Ended up be...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ace r
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
ace r,

Ben J
IHG Care
Gibsons, BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

It would be unfair to give a lower mark to this hotel as I was the one who chose it for us to go to Disneyland, and, I really did not do enough research. The hotel was nice. Clean and quiet. If I was going to a convention at the Convention Centre I might give it a look.

The restaurant did not provide quality food on either time we visited it. Our dinner one night was very poor and if we had not been meeting some others at the hotel on our last day at breakfast time, we would not have chosen to try it again. Breakfast is pretty simple, but again, not worth the price. In previous stays at Holiday Inn there had been breakfast provided in the price, but not here.

The shuttle to Disneyland was supposed to be on a 20 minute schedule, but it was more like 30 on average and the longest we waited was closer to 40 minutes. The walk would have been about 2 miles through some construction and skirting the highway, so despite our ability to walk that far, we didn't try it.

The room cost was over $200 per night, tax and fees in, so much too expensive. Our next visit to Disneyland will not be at this hotel.

On a positive note... I did correspond with Caroline Bice at the hotel before coming down about some things and she was not only prompt with her replies, but extremely helpful. 5 stars to her.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the top and away from the construction.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank GibsonsGolfer
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear GibsonsGolfer,

Thank you for staying with us. I am deeply sorry that the shuttle bus was running a little slow when you stayed. Normal running time is approximately every 20-25 minutes. You comments on the food service will be shared with the appropriate departments. Thank you for your kind words about Caroline, Its always nice for one of our staff to know they are doing a great job.I would love to see you again and restore you faith in our hotel.

Thanks again,

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

We booked this place on Hotwire and were very happy with what we got. The service was very friendly both at the front desk and on-site restaurant.

The location is close enough to the Disney gates that you can walk if you feel like some exercise (around 30 min) or you can catch an inexpensive shuttle bus from outside the front door to the park gates, which runs most of the time.

Very nice pool area outside; great for families. Rooms had a mini-fridge. The place was very clean and pleasant.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Andover, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

I am a Holiday Inn Priority club member and had asked when I booked online for a room that faces away from the Interstate as I'm a light sleeper and the noise would make it difficult to sleep. I was annoyed on check in to find my room faced the Intersate ! The staff were unable to swap rooms. A pair of my ear plugs helped block out some of the traffic noise but not all of it.

The shower tray in our room didn't drain properly meaning after a shower there was always a pool of stagnant water at one end. (The maid did clean and dry this every day.)

Enough of the moans. I have stayed here several times in rooms facing away from the Interstate. On those occasions I had no complaint and would have rated my stay as a perfectly acceptable average (clean, quiet rooms).

I would have really liked to have rated this hotel as below average, poor is a little bit harsh.

Room Tip: Obviously rooms that don't face the Interstate are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TimHistoryBuff
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
TimHistoryBuff,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Anaheim.

Ben J