“Great Dianeyland stay”

Staybridge Suites Anaheim - Resort Area
Ranked #42 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I totally disagree wih the bad reviews on here. We traveled with 6 kids and this hotel was great. The rooms fit us all well, buffet in the morning was perfect and customer service was awesome too. The beds were comfortable, clean and pool was nice as well. I would stay here again!!!

• Stayed: March 2014
5  Thank Jharrisaz

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Although a little tired around the edges, this hotel is excellently located right on the intersection of the I5 and the 22 freeway. You can walk to the restaurants at GardenWalk and could even walk to Disney is you can't wait for the shuttle bus. The hotel provides a basic hot breakfast buffet everyday and hot snacks in a happy hour Tues, Weds and Thursdays plus complimentary beer and wine. The rooms are a good size, each with a kitchenette for basic catering. Free parking and WiFi in your room is a definite plus.

Room Tip: Larger rooms have separate bedroom and lounge with a door inbetween if the kiddies are sleeping and...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank VirginAgent
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I cant say enough how horrible our stay at the Staybridge was. This is unfortunate as it was an otherwise wonderful vacation. I'll sum it up for anyone looking at this hotel by saying "stay at your own risk!!!" And I wholeheartedly mean that. It is a huge risk. In now reading other peoples reviews regarding some of their negative experiences in the past, there are so many similarities to our recent experience and I would not take those reviews lightly when doing your research. There is not enough space to go into all the details and accumulative things that we went through during our stay. But I will share the highlights with the hopes this gives someone planning their vacation to Disneyland or elsewhere some serious food for thought before booking here. Essentially here is the breakdown: staff stole our cell phone, there was consistently terrible customer service, our first room was filthy gross, and there were errors made in our reservations that were never fully rectified. So... our negative experience started with check-in. We were initially booked at another hotel but due to pool renovations our agent relocated us to the Staybridge. We were confirmed for a king bed, non-smoking room. We also confirmed this reservation and room type with the Staybridge before we left on vacation. When we arrived we were placed in a room with two small double beds. We were told there was nothing they could do and we could talk to a manager in the morning. We were told this was probably an error by our travel agent but we know this was not the case given we confirmed with Staybridge ourselves as well. The two double beds were not ideal as we were celebrating a special occasion. But when we got to our room we also realized we were placed in a smoking room, not the non-smoking room we had been confirmed for. And it truly smelled of smoke. We are both allergic to smoke and in my case, highly allergic. So we approached the front desk and were again told there was nothing they could do and to see the manager in the morning. Interestingly when we checked in we were asked to sign a waiver stating that if we smoked in our "non-smoking room" that we would be charged a $250 fine?? Needless to say, the night was aweful, long and uncomfortable given our allergies. I'll also point out the room was pretty gross. There were dust balls on the base of the walls, sunflower seed shells on the carpet and black hairs stuck to the bathroom door and in the bathroom. There was an orange sticky looking substance on the back of the bathroom door as well that the hair was stuck to. It looked like something had been spilled or squirted and never cleaned up. It really was gross and did feel dirty. The next morning we went to speak with the manager and were told by the front desk staff they would talk to the manager on our behalf as we were on our way to Universal Studios. When we got back that night there was a new front desk person who apparently knew nothing of our request and also didn't help us. We were just again told there was nothing they could do and to come back the next morning to speak with a manager. This was a common theme throughout our trip where no one communicated with each other, no one seemed to care, we were shuffled from one staff member to another, there was no resolve, and promises that were made were never kept. So the next morning we opted to go to Disneyland a little later so we could ENSURE we spoke with a manager. Just to put it in perspective, each day we had to do this. And it is not ideal because you are trying to get to the park early so that you can get on rides etc and avoid the long line ups that occur later in the day. So this was a hindrance on our plans each day. Regardless, we spoke with a manager that morning who told us she could put us in a queen room (not the king we were initially confirmed for). But we obviously took it considering we really needed out of the smoking room; and it was a step up from the double beds. The manager told us to pack our belongings and she would store them in their storage room. We asked about this arrangement or if we should keep our belongings in our room and she assured us the storage room was perfectly safe. She said she would personally watch over our belongings, that she was the only one with a key to that room, and that she would personally deliver our belongings to our room when it was ready that day. We thought we had finally got this sorted out and we could get on with our trip. That day we came back from the park in the late afternoon to go to our new room, have a hot tub and make some food before going back to the park. When we got to our room, there were no belongings. So we went to the front desk and the manager was now gone, there was a new girl at the desk, and she had no idea who we were or what our situation was. She was really rude, appeared annoyed and put-out by the whole situation and seemed like she just couldn't be bothered. She took us to get our bags when we told her where they were stored and it turns out she also had a key for this room (and we later found out so did housekeeping and other staff). So the manager lied and her comment that she would oversee the security of our bags, that no one else had access to that room, and that she would personally deliver our belongings to our room was all not true. Any one of those staff had access to our bags (And it was is this time that we later realized our cell phone was stolen). There's also more. We took our bags to our room and then went to the pool. We asked the front desk staff for pool towels and were told to get them at the pool. We went to the pool and there were no towels. We ran into a family of four in the hot tub who stated they had also asked for towels and were told to just go to the pool and someone would bring the towels to them. This had not happened and they stated they had been waiting over half an hour. I went to the front desk to notify them there were no towels and that the other family was also still waiting. Again the girls at the front desk seemed put-out by this, they blamed housekeeping and said just go to the pool and the towels will be sent. Another half hour later the towels were dropped in a bin. I don't know if this is a common occurrence or if readers care, but the hot tub was also warm not hot. And it consistently shot out cold water. I read a previous review where it commented on this too so I'm guessing it's not a "one-off". We then grabbed our food for the bbq and asked if we could use the bbq. The girl told us to go out there and she would send someone to start it. 45 minutes later no one had come and I again went to inquire. The girl again seemed put out by my request, was just very rude, and didn't even acknowledge my inquiry or apologize or anything. She just got on a radio and told someone to hurry up. We then had dinner and went back to the park. When we got in to the hotel that night we went to set the alarm on our cell phone for the next morning. This is when we noticed our cell phone was missing. At this point we figured it was just left in our old room on the night table. We knew it had to be there or put in our belongings when we packed our bags and gave them to the manger that morning. As we had absolutely not taken that cell phone out of the room or used in anywhere else (it was only used for a morning alarm) so it had to be in one of those two places. Considering it was not in our belongings, we figured it had to be left in the old room. We called the front desk and a new guy answered. He said nothing had been turned in but that our old room had no yet been cleaned by housekeeping so no one had yet accessed it. We asked if we could go to our old room and get it. He said he would personally go and check the room for us. An hour later we had not heard anything back so we called him. He said he hadn't had time to check yet and that he would do so now and get back to us. We didn't hear back and again called him to follow up and he said he checked the room and didn't find it. This is when we realized a staff member had to have taken our cell phone. There is absolutely no question that phone was either in that room or in our belongings that we stored with the manager. We spend the next three days of our trip checking in with the managers at the front desk each morning to be told we had to come back the next day and talk to the housekeeping manager. To then have the housekeeping manager refer us back to the manager or have some excuse or reason to put it off and wait again until the next day. It was absolutely ridiculous and a gong show to say the least. I cant say enough that it was a huge headache and a really negative experience and dark cloud for an otherwise great trip at Disneyland. We never did get our cell phone back. We never did have anyone care to really address this situation. We simply got the run around each day until it was time for us to go home. The day we left I spoke with a new manager Eric. It goes back to the horrible customer service because you could tell right away no one wanted to deal with it. We didn't even get an apology. Eric said he would email me that night if they found it. But by now it was pretty clear what had happened and the likelihood of getting the cell phone back was slim to none... and we were going home. This wasn't a "missing" article. It was clearly stolen by a staff member. Like seriously, call it what it is. I fully expect to have no response from management considering our previous encounters with them. Or we'll get a response that includes a bunch of excuses. Or as I've seen in reading managements response to other peoples complaints, we'll get a note with something to the effect that this is unfortunate and to contact them directly. I can tell you I have already contacted management "directly" and nothing has been done or even acknowledged. No one has even responded. I spoke to Eric when we left the hotel that day. He was disengaged and we basically got told we'll check the room one more time and email you. I suppose he wasn't rude like the other girl. But that too is a matter of perception. He clearly wanted the situation to just go away, told me he would email me if they ended up finding the phone, and that was that. No apology, No compensation. My point is, absolutely nothing has been done for us. And again, there is no mistake this was theft by staff. This wasn't some random person who broke into our room or car. I will also point out the Staybridge has no room safes. And apparently theft is a fairly common practice in that area and warning material is posted in the rooms to that effect. I just didn't think we would have to worry about theft from staff. Again, loved our vacation. But stay at this hotel at your own risk. I suspect it is truly hit and miss. But I wouldn't want to risk a higher probability of having my personal belongings stolen.

Room Tip: You likely wont get the room you ask for. So bring a sleeping bag and plan to sleep beside the pool...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
16  Thank S J
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Anaheim - Resort Area, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear S J,

Regards,

Karen C

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed at Staybridge mid February for 4 nights while on a family trip to visit Disneyland and CA Adventure. While this is not a fancy hotel it is very clean and served our needs well. The suite we stayed in was very clean and had a view of the pool (which was helpful because the other side would have faced the freeway and would have likely been noisy). The beds are a bit soft for my taste, but we all slept well.
The complimentary breakfast was standard but offered a variety of breakfast choices. (Scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, fruit, breads, oatmeal, waffles, cold cereals, yogurt and juices, teas, coffee and hot chocolate). There was something for everyone.
There is a heated outdoor pool which was clean and nice. The only complaint I have about this is the first night we were swimming and there were no towels. We asked the front desk multiple times for towels and eventually had to run soaking wet to our room only to find that towels had been delivered minutes after we left. This isn't a deal breaker just an annoyance at the time since we were cold. There were always towels available after that.
The laundry facilities are free - which you don't normally see. The washers are dryers work but show some wear and tear, but do the job.
The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. They are very knowledgeable about Disney and surrounding restaurants.
There is a Disney shuttle that picks up from the hotel and drops you off right in front of the parks. You can ride the shuttle back and forth as many times that day for one price. Shuttle tickets can be purchased from the front desk staff or at a kiosk at the shuttle pick up.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the pool. Rooms on the other side will face the freeway and will likely b...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NMBelen
Reviewed 11 February 2014

It feels like nobody at the front desk takes initiative to do anything for guests. My call was transferred around and promised with a call back but no call back.

And when I spoke to an Erica? at the front desk, I only felt like she wanted to pass me on to the next person and never attempted to resolve my issue. It was disappointing because because if she cared just a little bit more she could have resolved my minor issue with a room.

• Stayed: January 2014
5  Thank Caldr
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Anaheim - Resort Area, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Caldr,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. We will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Regards,

Jaime W

Reviewed 25 January 2014

The hotel is located next to a very busy freeway and has little in the way of sound proofing. Motel 6 style beds and pillows. Nice staff. Breakfast starts too late on the weekends. Did not get a good nights sleep. Not worth the $150 + a night.

• Stayed: January 2014
5  Thank David H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Anaheim - Resort Area, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Dear David H,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the noise from the road and the bed prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Our family of 4 stayed at Staybridge for 4 nights - January 12-16 - while we were on vacation and visiting the Disney parks. Although the hotel is not overly fancy or modern we really had great stay. It is clean and the beds are comfortable and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The complimentary breakfasts are good and the evening 'snacks' (mid-week), although basic, are also good (and basically served as our evening meals). Even the laundry facilities are complimentary. Between that and the kitchen in the room we had an incredibly cost-effective stay. The hotel is on the bus route for both the Anaheim Resort Transit (ART) buses which take you around Anaheim and to Disneyland and California Adventure, and also has a scheduled pick-up and drop-off by Disneyland Resort Express between LAX and Anaheim. It also features a nice heated outdoor pool and spa pool. We would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends if they were to plan a vacation in Anaheim.

Room Tip: The hotel fronts a freeway so the staff put us in a room overlooking the pool area at the back. I su...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family