“Good room, ok property”

GreenLeadersGold level
Mesa, AZ
“Good room, ok property”
Reviewed 24 December 2009

Our family stayed in a double queen room December 19th and 20th. This hotel feels brand new, so all the finishes are up to date and comfortable. The beds were some of the best I’ve stayed in, the cleaning was excellent, the breakfast was very good. I interacted with the main desk three different times and had only friendly faces and quick help. We paid only $83 per night booked directly off their website. For this price, this room was a very good deal. Free parking, internet and breakfast!

I am surprised however that this hotel is the #1 ranked for Anaheim. I have stayed in several top 20 in Anaheim hotels over the years and would have expected this hotel a bit lower. The pool was small and in the parking lot, the workout room was a little more than a home gym, the TV’s were small and the room layout wasn’t the best. The hotel lacked even a glimmer of a resort feel and was quite a distance from the Disneyland Park. I don't think we will be back, too far out of the way and not quite as relaxing as we had hoped.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 November 2009

Our family stayed at the Ayres Hotel for two weeks during September. We selected this hotel based on the tripadvisor reviews and also the helpfulness of staff to phone and email enquiries prior to booking.

Our room was nice and clean with comfortable queen beds. We had a microwave and fridge which meant we could at times have dinner in our room. There's a heated pool and relaxing spa (especially useful after a day at the park) and we generally had the pool to ourselves. Self service laundry on our floor was fantastically convenient, especially when staying for such a long period of time - this was generally done between dinner and board games when staying in for the night.

Our daughter has a sweet tooth and looked forward to the free cookies during the week at the managers reception. The free full American breaky meant we could spend more on ourselves - which we did. Also appreciated the free internet access in the lobby.

The absolute best thing about this hotel is its staff - helpful, friendly, always happy and willing to help. We didn't have our own transport and the ART shuttle (route no. 15) stopping at the hotel was handy, the ART timetimeable however, is more a guide rather than one they adhere to - this was what we learned first day waiting in vain for the 7:30am shuttle. Lucky for us, the wonderful people at reception organised for their driver (a lovely gentleman by the name of Paulo) to drop us off at the park - we didn't even ask, the service was just arranged for us.

If you are reliant on the ART for transport to and from Disney - at the Disney stop, most drivers will inform their clients of the regularity of the departures and also the last departure of the night. Some drivers dont give this information, so we normally just asked.

Public transport bus (route 50) stops on both sides of E Katella Drive - one way to Harbor Blvd for Disney or the other way to the Orange County mall for the nearest Walmart and other shops - We initially had concerns about transport as we did not have our own, however, using the public transport system and the ART meant we could go to several malls for shopping (which we did) or to go to certain restaurants for lunch/dinner - JT Smids next door to the Ayres offers good meals at reasonable prices.

Although the Ayres is not as convenient to Disney as other hotels, this didn't really matter as we had such a great time during our stay and rate this our best hotel experience on this trip. We stayed at five different establishments during our holiday, including a 4.5 star hotel which we did not rate as well as the Ayres.

We would definitely stay there again next time we visit Anaheim.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank MaxRoom
Montana
Reviewed 24 November 2009

I selected this hotel after reviewing comments from Trip Advisor, and it lived up to it's reviews. Nice, large lovely European motif rooms, friendly staff and nice complimentary breakfast. Location was very close to Disneyland. We had a rental car, so I can't comment on transportation to and from the park. It was late October and it didn't look like the outdoor jacuzzi got much use. The temperature was luke warm when I went to use it, so I opted out. Overall though it was a nice property and I'd stay there again.

1 Thank tm200968
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 29 October 2009

I stayed at the Ayres Hotel for one night while attending an event at the Honda Center. The hotel was incredibly convenient to the Honda Center - just across the street - which made it very easy for me to just park my car at the hotel and then walk back and forth to the arena.

I loved that the hotel felt like a nicer hotel, with beautiful rooms, comfortable beds, nice bathrooms, etc, without trying to nickel and dime you like a lot of nicer hotels. Free internet, both wifi and wired, free breakfast, that included a number of hot options (eggs, bacon, potatoes, etc) and a friendly chef to dish them up for you, free cookies and drinks in the evening in the lobby, fridge and microwave in the room, free parking for one car... The rate I got for the hotel was slightly more expensive for the mid-range Anaheim hotels I researched, but once I factored in the fact that I didn't have to pay $15 to park at the Honda Center, or $15 to park at the hotel, or pay for breakfast or internet, I realized that it either evened out or was a better value to stay at the Ayres.

I ate dinner at the sports bar/restaurant in the little plaza right next to the hotel - I only had time and appetite for a quick soup, but they had a lot of options that looked good. I also had the most yummy vanilla chai I've ever had at the coffee shop in the same plaza. There's not much else within walking distance of the hotel, though it is a short drive to a bunch of restaurants and shops, further down Katella.

The room was comfortable, bright, clean, and beautiful. The beds were comfortable. The noise was minimal. The amenities were great. I would definitely recommend the Ayres and I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 21 October 2009

Stayed for 4 nights Oct. 12-16th. We were travelling with family so they gave us adjoining rooms which worked out great. 10 min. car ride to Disneyland. Lovely and peaceful to go back to after a day at Disney. No complaints whatsoever. Breakfast was great and the chef really friendly. One of the most comfortable beds I have ever had in a hotel! Would have no hesitation in returning or reccommending.

2 Thank SusanBPhoenix_AZ
Massapequa Park, NY
Reviewed 20 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Ayres on 9/30-10/4. Unfortunately we were not staying there for vacation. My grandson was having open-heart surgery at CHOC (Children's Hospital of Orange County). From the moment that I spoke to Marcus (the hotel manager) to make the reservations, to the time we checked out (after a successful surgery), we were made to feel warmly welcomed. The hotel is lovely, and the location is great, and on their own those two things would make this a highly rated hotel. But it is the superb staff, most specifically Marcus, that make this THE outstanding hotel to stay at in the Anaheim area. We have stayed at Four Seasons, and Ritz Carltons and never been shown the kindness and caring that we received during this stay. The entire staff made a most difficult time in our lives that much easier, by taking the stress out of our hotel stay, and going out of their way to make everything as pleasant as it possibly could be. I can unequivocally recommend the Ayres to anyone - be it business or leisure travelers. I know your stay will be pleasurable.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Brentwood, CA
Reviewed 14 October 2009

First, let me say that I am not one to give praise in an off-handed fashion. My wife says that I am hard to please and a complainer, I like to think of myself as having standards and being discerning, lol.

I stayed here for two nights with my family (wife and kids aged 5, 11, 15) for a Disney trip. All of the staff were extremely friendly, efficient and responsive. The whole process from reservations, check-in, the daily full American breakfast, and checkout was a pleasant experience. Staff was knowledgeable about the area and responsive to special requests. The room was very spacious and was spotless, as was the bathroom! The breakfast was served quickly and was delicious!

The hotel does NOT have a shuttle to Disney (despite what is advertised on some sites), but the drive is easy and the daily parking at Disney was about the same as what the local transit would have cost me for all five of us. A shuttle would have been nice, but as a matter of importance, I rank it under the room size and cleanliness and the efficiency and responsiveness of the staff. In addition, receiving the complimentary full American breakfast more than makes up for the lack of a shuttle. The breakfast really helped make the hotel a great value for our trip.

The Ayres Hotel Anaheim will probably be my "go to" hotel for future trips to Anaheim. Although I was here with my family, I would not hesitate to stay here on a business trip to the area.

1 Thank Eric H