“Hotel is Nice, Staff and service is so-so”

Ayres Hotel Anaheim
Ranked #6 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersGold level
San Jose, CA
“Hotel is Nice, Staff and service is so-so”
Reviewed 9 February 2010

Picked the Ayers because of the great reviews on Trip Advisor. The hotel is close to Disneyland. We had 2 adults and 2 small kids aged 4 and 1. We stayed there for 3 nights in Nov 2009.

The hotel is quite nice, decor is good, and the overall room, furniture etc was all very good.
The location was also very good as we had our own car and were only 10 minutes away from Disneyland and most other destinations in Orange.

Staff was okay but scarce. We had a generally bad experience with the Breakfast which was included in our room rate. The staff was moody and seemed unprofessional. We ate there once, but after the poor and inattentive service, we decided to eat out every morning. We this felt frustrated as we were paying twice for breakfast, once at the hotel and the second time at a restaurant.

I did inform the hotel at checkout, but the checkout person informed me to call some manager, which I did, and they called and left a message to call them back. I am not certain whether they really wanted to hear it.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Travel_Boy1111
AyresMgr, Hotel Manager at Ayres Hotel Anaheim, responded to this review, 9 February 2010
I am writing to apologize for your disappointment while staying here. As you may have noticed from other reviews, our breakfast is normally a positive experience, so I am particularly sorry that we let you down in this respect. I was concerned to read that your experience was so bad that you chose to go elsewhere for your breakfast and can understand why you would feel frustrated by the costs. Please do respond to the private message I have sent you so that we can resolve this issue to your satisfaction. Lastly, thank you for taking the time to give credit where it is due, noting the quality of the hotel and that we had followed up with you.

Marcus Collins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2010

We stayed at the Ayers Hotel for two lots of seven nights over xmas. The hotel was great and the staff were very friendly. I can definetly see why this is Rated number 1. You are not just another customer you get a more personlised service than larger hotels.

Marcus and Andrew were absolutely wonderful on helping us with information on things around LA. We had a hire car so Disneyland was only a 10 minute drive away or you can catch the ART shuttle.

The breakfast was great, the kids loved the pancakes. The kitchen staff are great and also really friendly. This is a great saving as same breakfast purchased elsewhere was $50.00. The free internet and free parking was great.

Yes we also loaded up our own luggage onto bellhop trolley but didnt have a problem with doing this ourselves. I would like to thank the mangement as they made our holiday perfect. Thank you

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank ausevans
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 January 2010

We stayed here for one night in October so we could attend the Lakers pre-season game at the Honda Centre, which is just across the road from the hotel. I chose the hotel because of it's location and we were very very happy with our stay here. I just can't say enough good things about this hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the room was excellent - well presented and spotlessly clean. Nice pool and fitness centre is available for guest use, and plenty of parking on site. Breakfast is included and was excellent. They have a friendly chef working in the breakfast area to serve you up freshly cooked eggs and potatoes etc. Nice selection of other foods available too. There isn't a restaurant in the hotel but we ate dinner at JT Schmid's just over the road and that was good. We loved it here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank OzDennyCrane
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Reviewed 30 December 2009

So I'm pretty big on doing my research and getting the best deal possible for my money. We decided on a last minute trip to Disneyland over the Christmas Holidays and hence we were on a bit of a budget. After researching hotel after hotel, I came across the Ayres. It has excellent reviews but the price was about $133 per night... a bit steep for us. However, I kept my eye on it and as soon as the price dropped to $88 per night, I grabbed it. The hotel is impressive and had a Victorian feel to it with plush furniture in the lobby cozied up to an ornate gas fireplace. The place has a very warm welcoming feel overall and I liked it immediately. We were give a room on the top floor with a view of the fireworks, without even asking! Our room had 2 queen beds with lovely large 4 poster frames, and the softest down duvet pillows and comforters I've ever slept with. We stayed for 6 nights and I can say that those were some of the best sleeps I've ever had - another plus was that this hotel was so quiet at night you could hear a pin drop. I'm a light sleeper, and the place was as silent as a tomb. The mini bar area with extra sink, fridge and microwave came in very handy as well.

The free breakfast included was raved about by my husband who is a huge fan of a hot breakfast everyday (he can't stand continentals). They had the regular continental fare as well as a huge bowl of fruit salad everyday, scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, and alternated bacon and sausages every other day. One day they also had pancakes which were quite yummy.... and on our last morning, the Manager was making french toast!!! I figure we saved an easy $30 every day on breakfast alone.

My one and only complaint would have to be the shower/water pressure. Showering in the evening was not a problem, but come morning, the pressure was hit and miss as well as the fluctuation between hot and cold. One morning while showering.... the pressure kept fluctuating and then the water ceased altogether - however it returned after about a minute and I quickly finished.

While the distance is not close to the parks (2.5 miles), we still found that it was an easy drive and we timed it at exactly 15 minutes from leaving the hotel parking lot to going through the main park gates - not bad.

Yes, we did grab our own luggage cart and push it to our room - big deal. If you wanna be pampered like a princess than head to the Grand Californian and pay the big bucks + parking, + breakfast, + resort fee, etc. etc. For $88 a night I could care less if there's no snobby bellhop carrying my bag and then standing there for his $10 tip.

For the value, free breakfast, free parking, and overall luxury feel to the hotel, my family agreed that we will definitely return on future visits. We have also stayed at the Desert Palms on Katella as well as the Park Vue Inn on Harbour -- this hotel was by far the best. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!!

3 Thank Sirengirl
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 29 December 2009

Stayed here again on this trip to the US after a hassle free stay in May 2009. Nothing is too much for the staff - they are friendly, helpful and very obliging. We walked across the road to a Ducks game and made it our base for our time in LA. The hotel is clean, has all the amenities and the beds are very comfortable. The free breakfast is a bonus and keeps you fueled for the day. A short drive to Disneyland or you can catch the disney shuttle for $4 per person. I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it to others.

1 Thank Gilly169
Mesa, AZ
Reviewed 24 December 2009

Our family stayed in a double queen room December 19th and 20th. This hotel feels brand new, so all the finishes are up to date and comfortable. The beds were some of the best I’ve stayed in, the cleaning was excellent, the breakfast was very good. I interacted with the main desk three different times and had only friendly faces and quick help. We paid only $83 per night booked directly off their website. For this price, this room was a very good deal. Free parking, internet and breakfast!

I am surprised however that this hotel is the #1 ranked for Anaheim. I have stayed in several top 20 in Anaheim hotels over the years and would have expected this hotel a bit lower. The pool was small and in the parking lot, the workout room was a little more than a home gym, the TV’s were small and the room layout wasn’t the best. The hotel lacked even a glimmer of a resort feel and was quite a distance from the Disneyland Park. I don't think we will be back, too far out of the way and not quite as relaxing as we had hoped.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 November 2009

Our family stayed at the Ayres Hotel for two weeks during September. We selected this hotel based on the tripadvisor reviews and also the helpfulness of staff to phone and email enquiries prior to booking.

Our room was nice and clean with comfortable queen beds. We had a microwave and fridge which meant we could at times have dinner in our room. There's a heated pool and relaxing spa (especially useful after a day at the park) and we generally had the pool to ourselves. Self service laundry on our floor was fantastically convenient, especially when staying for such a long period of time - this was generally done between dinner and board games when staying in for the night.

Our daughter has a sweet tooth and looked forward to the free cookies during the week at the managers reception. The free full American breaky meant we could spend more on ourselves - which we did. Also appreciated the free internet access in the lobby.

The absolute best thing about this hotel is its staff - helpful, friendly, always happy and willing to help. We didn't have our own transport and the ART shuttle (route no. 15) stopping at the hotel was handy, the ART timetimeable however, is more a guide rather than one they adhere to - this was what we learned first day waiting in vain for the 7:30am shuttle. Lucky for us, the wonderful people at reception organised for their driver (a lovely gentleman by the name of Paulo) to drop us off at the park - we didn't even ask, the service was just arranged for us.

If you are reliant on the ART for transport to and from Disney - at the Disney stop, most drivers will inform their clients of the regularity of the departures and also the last departure of the night. Some drivers dont give this information, so we normally just asked.

Public transport bus (route 50) stops on both sides of E Katella Drive - one way to Harbor Blvd for Disney or the other way to the Orange County mall for the nearest Walmart and other shops - We initially had concerns about transport as we did not have our own, however, using the public transport system and the ART meant we could go to several malls for shopping (which we did) or to go to certain restaurants for lunch/dinner - JT Smids next door to the Ayres offers good meals at reasonable prices.

Although the Ayres is not as convenient to Disney as other hotels, this didn't really matter as we had such a great time during our stay and rate this our best hotel experience on this trip. We stayed at five different establishments during our holiday, including a 4.5 star hotel which we did not rate as well as the Ayres.

We would definitely stay there again next time we visit Anaheim.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family