“We are fairly picky and this hotel was amazing!”

Ayres Hotel Anaheim
Ranked #6 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersGold level
St. Albert, Canada
“We are fairly picky and this hotel was amazing!”
Reviewed 6 January 2011

I had a good feel for this hotel from my very first contact. I was in contact with this hotel via email. They were extremely professional and prompt. So after comparing with many others in the area, we booked with confidence with Ayers Anaheim. Am I ever glad we did. Often when I go to a hotel, the lobby is really nice, but then the rooms really don't match. It is almost like now that we have your money, we will just shove you into this closet and you have no choice but to stay there.
The rooms look very high end. I have stayed in very high priced hotels and this is up there with the nicest decors of them. I always miss my bed when I go on vacation. This time I didn't! The beds are very comfortable. Even the chair at the desk is comfortable!
Our 3 girls used the pool while my wife and I sat in the hot tub a few nights. Both were immaculate.

Very good fitness room for a hotel.

For this breakfast to be included is astounding to me. The breakfast has eggs, bacon/sausages (alternating days), pancakes (sometimes french toast) , hashbrowns, bagels, sliced bread, yogurt, fruit, muffins, coffee, hot chocolate, orange juice, apple juice, milk, water... I'm not done... comfy chairs!! Come on! Comfy chairs!? That is unprecedented!! Oh and every other included breakfast I have been to is crowded and difficult to navigate due to lack of space. Not here. The room is huge and there is always at least 1/2 of the tables free so you are not sitting with strangers like I have many times at other hotels.
The best part about the breakfast is not the food though. It is Jose! He is the cook. Now the other workers there are great, but Jose is a super guy and does a great job. He is friendly with the kids and with the adults as well. He shows a sincere interest in people that is rare in the service industry these days. It may seem small but he made a little Mickey Mouse shaped pancake for my daughter this morning. This delighted the whole family.

FREE cocktail and snack hour Mon to Thursday.
Cookies in the evening if you or the kids need a snack. They literally told me to take as many as we like a few times.

Distance to Disneyland very short drive or take the shuttle. We were in room 424 and could clearly see the Disneyland fireworks every single night at 8:40 pm. Too cool!

Can we borrow some utensils to eat food we brought from the grocery store? Sure
Can we borrow a plate to put our olive oil and vinegar in for our bread? Sure
Can we get change for the laundry machine on our floor? Sure (worked awesome by the way)

I don't know what else to say other than we live for our family vacations and have stayed at many hotels; this is the best value we have ever had at a hotel.

If you want to take this part of the risk out of your vacation, book this hotel right now.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank thriftyis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2011

We stayed at the Ayres on a recent trip to Disneyland. I was nervous about the rest of my family liking it as they put me in charge of the hotel. We all really enjoyed our stay there. Our rooms were adjoining which was great as my parents and our little one stayed together and my husband and I were in the next room. It worked out well as we could hang out in one room while our son slept. The rooms were nicely decorated and had a sink, microwave and fridge with some storage under the sink. They had a couch with a coffee table, a desk and a small table with two chairs. The beds were comfy and I liked the duvet.
The trip to Disney by car was about 15 minutes and by taxi it was about $15 dollars. We took the ART back one night and it seemed to be okay although had alot of stops.
Breakfast was awesome! We couldn't believe it was free as it was a real breakfast not just fruit and muffins. The chef (can't remember his name) was a great guy, very personable. There is a happy hour in the lobby that is nice. We had drinks if our room but it is nice to just get out and hang out somewhere else for a short time.
Everyone at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel, oops I already said that, but we really did!

1 Thank travgal77
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed 5 January 2011

I choose this hotel because of the good reviews on Trip Advisor. The hotel is close to Disneyland. We had 2 adults and 2 small kids . We stayed there for 3 nights in Dec 2010.

The hotel is quite nice, decor is good, and the overall room, furniture was all very good.
The location was also very good as we had our own car and were only 10 minutes away from Disneyland.

RONT DESK Staff was okay.But !!!!!!!!!!!!! Impoliteness of managers....MAKES THIS HOTEL a 2 strar..

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
AyresMgr, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Anaheim, responded to this review, 7 January 2011
I was terribly disappointed to read your review and hear of your experience. I am afraid you must have found us at our worst. The gentleman you spoke with was not a manager and did not intend to offend you in any way. I am so sorry that he came across that way. I am sorry that you experienced a generally unhappy atmosphere and I am afraid that I can not put a finger on anything in particular. We are fortunate here to work in a very busy hotel, which also receives very positive feedback. I have not received similar feedback about unhappy staff in the past and I am concerned that you observed that. I have sent an email of apology to you as well as some questions regarding your experience. I look forward to hearing from you.

Marcus Collins
Queen Charlotte City, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Styled as a European hotel, the Ayres Hotel exceeded our expectations from check-in to check-out. We chose the Ayres because of the positive reviews on Tripadvisor and it's location close to Disneyland.

The Anaheim Resort Transit (ART) shuttle picks up at the front door of the hotel and drops off Disneyland. Buy a ticket at the front desk--it's convenient and inexpensive. As other reviewers have mentioned, the trip TO Disneyland is much quicker than the trip FROM, as the Ayres is the 2nd last stop on the route. We didn't mind the slow return trip, but one day we discovered that the #50 bus on the regular Anaheim transit route goes straight down Katella (around the corner from Disneyland, and directly to the hotel)--it took about 10 minutes. The first shuttle stops at the hotel at 7:15am, and this is the one to hop on if you want to get to Disney for opening.

Breakfast was quite good, with scrambled eggs, bacon, pancakes (even Mickey Mouse versions), bagels, fresh fruit, etc.

The rooms were clean and quiet, the beds were comfortable, and the decor was pleasant. The duvets were truly appreciated.

Front desk staff were seriously helpful during our stay (Dec 27-Jan 1). At check-in I was informed that some hotel guests were turned away from Disneyland earlier that afternoon because the park was already at capacity. This information was critical for us, as we had 2 girls (8 and 11 yrs) who we planned to surprise the next day with their first trip to Disneyland. The gentleman who checked me in told me which shuttle to take and set me up with shuttle and Disney park-hopper passes. It was quick and he was very friendly--and, when my daughter walked in, he didn't blow the surprise!

Later during our stay, the staff called a car service for us. Mario from Hugo's was fantastic!

While there isn't a restaurant on-site, JT Shmidt's (spelling?) is next door and there is a microwave and mini-fridge in the room. On-site laundry was a bonus--I enjoyed coming home with clean clothing.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 January 2011

this was a great hotel, we got a good deal for $99 a night and it's located conveniently close to the AMTRAK station in Anaheim. You get a clean and comfortable room (ask for one with a view of the disneyland fireworks) and free (fairly basic) breakfast- although mickey mouse pancakes were great.We had no car so we bought tickets for the disneyland shuttle, $4 a day per person and you can ride as many times as you like. the shuttle only comes every our (other hotels that were closer have a shuttle every 20 mins). Free wine reception at night was a nice touch although the wine wasn't very nice, the snacks and beer was good. overall i would recommend.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Anna1834
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 1 January 2011

We recently traveled up to Anaheim to see a hockey game right across the street at the Honda Center. We chose it because we could just walk across the street and not have to deal with driving/parking/etc to the game. The hotel staff was extremely friendly. The rooms were very spacious and clean. The bathrooms were nice and updated with a large shower. Our king room had a nice little sitting area with a couch and fridge and microwave. While we didn't need any of this during our stay, I could see where this would come in handy for families traveling with kids or even if we stayed longer than one night. Our room was on the first floor, which at first I was a little nervous about, considering noise on the main level, but you couldn't hear anything! The rooms were very quiet and also dark, perfect for sleeping in.
We have already discussed staying there in the future when we hit some more hockey games or a trip to Disney

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Green Valley AZ
Reviewed 29 December 2010

I have been to other fine Ayers Hotel before I knew of trip advisor. Let me say the general,
perfect free breakfast , nice rooms, secure parking and with AtM bus pass ( you buy there) at the hotel entrance --heavenly.
My report is not so much the hotel and its fine staff but one man especially,
ANDREW.
Andrew helps beyond the 100% not just a job to him, I was at the desk a lady gave him flax and as a management retired supervisor of a 500 company I would have had enough. It wasn,t about the hotel but that her family had to pay for rides to Disney.
ANDREW was polite and handled it better than I could the lady wished him a Merry Christmas when he was done. What more can one say.