“The staff make the hotel liveable”

Extended Stay America - Orange County - Anaheim Convention Center
Ranked #83 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Denver
“The staff make the hotel liveable”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

The best thing I can say about the hotel is that the staff work extra-hard to make sure that they meet your needs and that you have a pleasant stay. I would say, however, that the condition of the rooms and common areas leaves a bit to be desired. Although the hotel is touted as being "recently rennovated," it is clear that it gets HEAVY traffic from the convention center and Disney crowds. We had barely any dishes in the kitchen and no towels for the very tiny and cold swimming pool (they were all in use throughout the hotel). We also found a ton of hair all over the room and things seemed just dingy and over-used. Stains on the counter top, water mineral deposits on the water filter and coffee maker, etc. Since there is a kitchen available and people cook there, you are left with whatever lovely odors their cooking leaves you. Our room smelled like cat litter and dog food. It was nice being close to the parks and the ART shuttle worked great, but I probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Michael D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - Anaheim Convention Center, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
I recently received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to respond. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory. As this hotel’s manager, I challenge our staff to continually improve the experience of our guests, from the cleanliness of our rooms, to the courteous professionalism of our staff. Unfortunately, in your situation, it is clear that we were unsuccessful in achieving these goals. Given our belief that guests like you are our most valuable asset, this failure is particularly troubling. Your review has caused us to take a serious look at the systems we have in place to handle our day to day operations and we will be making modifications as appropriate. It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one. I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels brand location in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle
Reviewed 2 April 2013

So a few years ago I went to Long Beach CA and stayed in the Extended Stay down there (4105 East Willow Street) and I had a HUGE issue with the room cleanliness to where I had to go down to the front desk and hand them the chair that was splattered in some form of human discharge.

I contacted the company numerous times to complain and nothing happened.

Well I went to Anaheim recently and I thought to myself...it's been years since that bad experience and it's a totally different area so I'll stay there and safe some money.

Once again room cleanliness was an issue...this time it wasn't quite that bad but it was still pretty gross. There were crumbs all over the counter top and paper all over the floor. When I told the front desk the next day (I check in super late and just went straight to bed). They said they would send someone to clean it...which they did...but they did not toss the room and give it a good cleaning...it's like they came and wiped down the counter and that was it (hell I could have done that).

Another issue with the hotel was that only one elevator worked. When I asked one the maintenance guys why that was...he mumbled something in broken English how it was the law or the city law or something to the point where I just rolled my eyes and said OK. The final issue is the hall way of my floor smelled liked smoke but not my room just right by the elevator (great place to have a smoking room right?)

The only reason this hotel is not getting a TERRIBLE is because the day time staff was good and the location was good...but that is pretty much the only reason. If you are staying longer than a week I'd stay here but for a weekend trip there are better hotels for the same or equal price.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize that you encountered the problems you did during your stay with us. In response to your feedback, I am always happy to hear what guests have to say, we try to keep everyone happy but there are challenges we all face and appreciate any comments. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at acc@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Travellers are raving about these Anaheim hotels

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Originally I had reserved 1 queen bed but got put into a room with 2 queen beds. I immediately removed the comforter to inspect the bed and came across a huge stain on the bed. Then noticed there was hair on the comfortor as well. I did the same to the other bed and saw hair as well. I went into the bathroom to wash my hands and went to use a towel but noticed there was brown stains not only on 1 towel but 3. Then noticed hair on the walls and in the shower. I called the front desk and he claimed he was too busy and he would call us back but never did so we had to call him. We then just went down to the front desk and were told he could refund our money but we would have to leave the hotel and find another hotel or be put into a smoking room. We agree to go to the smoking room but it ended up being too strong of a smell for us. We decided to stay in the oringal room. We then went down in the morning and the new guy at the front desk was understanding and thankfully refunded us.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am. The experience you described is truly regrettable. We strive to ensure that our guests have an exceptional stay. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of our staff. We know that we did not get to be a member of America’s number one family of extended stay hotels over night; we did it by focusing on one customer at a time. We know that a totally satisfied customer is one who will come back and stay with us again. That is why we take your review so seriously. It reminds us that despite all of the regular praise we receive, we still have room to improve. Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel at 714-502-9988 or by via email at acc@extendedstay.com.
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 25 March 2013

The good news is that its only about 15 minute walk to Disneyland.
There is a small kitchen area, even though it says that there is dishes. silveware and such, dont fully trust it.
We had to go down and get a different toaster from the front desk because the one that was in room 204. Would burn one side, not cook the other side, and never pop, but the toaster they gave us to replace that one would only cook one set of toast then it would buzz like its over heating for the next 20 minutes.
We had to purchase a knife and a small frying pan ( we didnt want this trip to be full of take out and whatever else) ... and some plates. (our room had 2 plates, and 2 bowls, 1 fork, 1 spoon, 2 coffee cups, three drinking glasses.) there was a 2 burner stove top, apartment sized fridge, two ice trays in fridge, I was there for a week I did not see a ice machine, but i didnt go in search of one either.
They have an onsite washer and dryer, ($2 EACH) - there was an over price snack machine there too..

The guy who checked us in, was very sweet.
Room wasn't ready, which upset me, because checkin starts at 3, I got there closer to 4.
Had to wait til 430 to get into room.

Then I had to re-clean the room, (went to walmart after unloading car to buy basic cleaning supplies.) Bleached the counters and floors, two separate rags, both rags were black/brown when I was done with cleaning.
Scrubbed tub with Comet, it was gross, towels, had the customary black hairs on them, no one in my party had black hair.
Because it is an extended stay there is no maid service, but you can exchange towels, because Anaheim is humid, towel need to be exchanged, because they don't just dry on their own.
The beds were hard ( mind you I have a REALLY nice bed at home, so... it is hard to tell.. with hotel beds.)
My kids and wife did come back from trip with bug bites, but we were unable to determine if there were bed bugs in the room (as other reviews have stated) , the mattresses do have plastic zipped up covers on them,

The last two or three days of our stay, you could tell that there were small children running rampant in the floor above us, around midnight,

It was a nice price for location.

*** HOWEVER. ***
Vern - Sweet older guy,.
Security guy (didnt get his name) ... Tried to tell me I was stupid, and that the pot smell was just people cooking... yeah because I don't know the difference between pot and people cooking...

ISA - prepare to be ignored til she is ready to talk to you
Jay - Manager ( I assume) , he is a bit snappy.... after reporting that the 2nd floor - and elevator , reeked of pot, for the 3rd time, he told me, well ma'am this IS California...

Had I not had a 5 day pass to Disneyland, I would have stopped my vacation on the second day due to his overwhelming rudeness in his tone and statement.

I did leave as soon as my pass was up. The floor/hotel was supposed to be NONSmoking.
Pot or otherwise.

I UNDERSTAND the Ciggerette smoke by the DOORs, that is where the ashtrays are. BUT NOT IN THE ROOMS.

I don't care if medical marijuana is legal in california, smoking is legal in california, but NOT INSIDE of a PUBLIC BUILDING.

Overall, If you want to be able to cook some of your vacation meals yourself... reclean your room when you get there... , and are going to disneyland... then this hotel isnt horrible...
I wouldnt suggest it for a couples getaway, but it is nice for families with a budget going to disneyland for more then one or two days.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Michael D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - Anaheim Convention Center, responded to this review, 31 March 2013
I received a copy of your review and wanted to thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed how close the hotel to Disneyland however I sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered with your room and your stay with us. In response to your feedback I will be addressing these issues with my entire staff. And please accept my apologies regarding the way you were treated unkindly. I am very disappointed that you left feeling that way and will work to improve our staff to avoid that in the future. If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me at acc@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel or any other Extended Stay America should the need arise in the future.
Tustin, California
Reviewed 2 March 2013

This ESA hotel is tucked away on a quiet, convenient street next to the hub of Katella Ave and Harbor Blvd. (Heading west on Katella from the 5 freeway, you take a right on S. Clementine - the second street after S. Anaheim Blvd., one block before Harbor). This location bypasses the parking stress of the hotels on Harbor Blvd., which is often paid parking. Here, the parking is effortless and free, and you don't have to put one of those tacky parking passes on your dash.

Fast, friendly staff for check-in. Thank you.

Facing west we could watch the Disneyland fireworks from our room (yay!). It was quiet at night, so we slept well.

You are right next to Anaheim Gardenwalk, with its many good restaurants including Cheesecake Factory (great happy hour), Bubba Gumps, P.F. Changs, Johnny Rockets, Roy's Hawaiian, and Fire & Ice Grill (high-end all you can eat, great bloody Mary's). The movie theatre here is excellent, though $14.95 or so (some theatres serve alcohol). The theatre is never crowded and you select your own seats on a screen when you pay. Saw Die Hard 58 here and the walls shook with the explosions. Very cool.

The grab & go breakfast is not really breakfast - just a snack to tide you over to breakfast. They really need some juices for the kids, or at least bottled waters.

They have a small pool and jacuzzi, which an ESA hotel usually does not have.

Room Tip: Get a room facing west to see the fireworks.
1 Thank Tustin_Michael
Michael D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - Anaheim Convention Center, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to thank you for your kind words. It's great to hear that you were thrilled with your stay. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.
Rockledge, Florida
Reviewed 22 February 2013

My recent stay at this property was a refreshing change. Many hotel/motel chains seem to pressure their employees to push good service to the limit, just short of pestering guests. Not so at Extended Stay -Anaheim. My checkin was quick and efficient, and I was asked if I needed anything like a toothbrush or dishsoap before going to my nicely modern good-sized non-smoking room that didn't (as with many chains) smell like it'd been deodorized after being smoked in. It looked, smelled and felt clean and towels & linens were spotless. The person who'd checked me in called about 20 minutes later on the room's landline phone, asking how the room was. My response, "It's wonderful, thank you!"
Having never stayed in an Extended Stay America, the fully equipped kitchen with fridge, stove, microwave, coffeemaker, sink, pots and dishes was a very welcome surprise, well put to use. The bed was comfortable, flatscreen TV had good quality picture, and the free wireless service had good connectivity and speed.
Opinions may vary, but Extended Stay's once-weekly housekeeping policy was pleasantly unobtrusive. I don't need excessive attention or upkeep and was thankful to have the peace and quiet that came with the knowledge that I wouldn't need to expect to deal with the intrusion involved with a housekeeping staff that's not happy unless the room's been intruded upon each and every day whether I, as a guest, like it or not.
My stay involved having my privacy respected in a nice room where I could cook, rest, work, walk to any of a number of nearby conveniences, grab breakfast on the way out in the morning, and trust the the staff to be professional and courteous. Best sleep I've had in months!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Dunebuggy4
Michael D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - Anaheim Convention Center, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay America Orange County - Anaheim Convention Center. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we would love to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call me for your future stays here at 714-502-9988 or any other Extended Stay Hotels location.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 February 2013

+1 star for free parking and close distance to Disneyland (~15 minute walk)
+1 star for functional kitchenette with nice full sized fridge (saw families bringing in groceries and even a crock pot!)

Everything else during our stay did not meet my expectations and I don't think I would be staying here ever again or recommend family and friends. I'll try to make this review short.

- took ~30 minutes to check in... and also two more trips back downstairs to the front desk to have our key card fixed since it would not open our room
- the bathroom only had one set of towels, not including a floor mat towel, so I called the front desk and they told me that they didn't have any at the moment but if I found a maid with a cart to ask them... but I was already running late to dinner since it took so long to finally get into our room so I decided to get them later
- after dinner I came back and called front desk for towels and they said to come downstairs so I went downstairs to find out that they needed 15 more minutes to fully dry the towels... so I sat downstairs waiting since there was no point in going upstairs then back downstairs (this was around midnight)--they also mentioned that they could not deliver the towel to my room because she wasn't allowed to go up to the rooms... weird
- so finally I was able to shower... but the water would burn me every 4 minutes... something was up with the water temperature control in our room
- bedtime came around, sheets had stains on them... a small pink one on my side and a light brown stain on the blanket.. but I was so tired I just went to sleep on them hoping that it was at least sanitized and that it was just a discoloration
- as for sound level, there were some weird electrical buzzing in our room and the tub faucet was leaking all night long and everyday after
- third day, we parked in the back of the hotel and tried to enter in through the side doors only to find out that our key card stopped working... again. We had to run around to the front to get it fixed, again.

I don't know if it was just our room that was such a bad experience or the hotel in general. When I was in the lobby, it seemed that other people were getting frustrated at the front desk and other people were having trouble with their key cards as well. I stayed in room 309--don't stay in that room if you can help it unless you want to hear a dripping faucet and electrical crackling at night.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - Anaheim Convention Center, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies. As this hotel’s manager, I challenge our staff to continually improve the experience of our guests, from the cleanliness of our rooms, to the courteous professionalism of our staff. Unfortunately, in your situation, it is clear that we were unsuccessful in achieving these goals. Given our belief that guests like you are our most valuable asset, this failure is particularly troubling. Your review has caused us to take a serious look at the systems we have in place to handle our day to day operations and we will be making modifications as appropriate. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other brand location in the future.