“Hidden Gem”

The Ranch Restaurant & Saloon
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ranch Restaurant & Saloon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 872 Restaurants in Anaheim
Transit: OCTA Route 46, Route 47
Bonsall, California
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

You'd never spot this place driving by on the street,so it really is a hidden gem. If you're tired of the uninspired same old thing at so many other restaurants, you'll be pleased by the truly inspired menu here. Try the tasting menu with wine pairings if you just can't make up your mind! Casual dress is acceptable, but you might want to step up your game and dress a bit for this fine place. The short rib entree was great. The popovers are a popular item. They were ok, but would have been great with some kind of dipping sauces or compotes, instead of just butter and jam.

• Visited June 2014

Anaheim, California
“Worth the Splurge!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

With a private 2 acre "ranch" to provide its heirloom veggies, and an array of awards and reviews, what more is there to say? You'll pay for the experience, but after about 5 dinners here, including a recent Chef's tasting menu with accompanying wines, I'd say it's generally worth the splurge.

A favorite of mine is the "humble" half roast chicken, with crispy crackling skin and juices soaking into a panzanella (bread) salad. Bread lovers will appreciate a basket of freshly baked mixed rolls. With Saturday evening's Chef's menu, the dessert of a plum crostata and a port reduction was just the right sweet ending, though usually I'm a "chocolate only" dessert eater.

The wines by the glass will set you back between $8 and $15 per, and bottle prices range from around $30 to $6500 for a 2000 double magnum of Chateau Latour, or $1850 for the very hard to find 2008 Screaming Eagle from Oakville. Something for everyone, including nicely served Anaheim Tap H20.

Black napkins will keep the lint off, and if you're having a birthday or anniversary, they'll paint a greeting on the dessert plate with chocolate sauce.

Pacing is usually pretty good, although Saturday evening's Chef's Selection tasting menu felt glacial to me ... 2+ hours and some long waits between courses.

Outside you'll hear the Disneyland fireworks, and step outside for a good glimpse from the parking lot. Speaking of ... it's CROWDED, but there is a lot of parking if you don't mind a bit of a walk (and unless you've got on your 5" stilettos, why would you? It's SoCal...). Reservations are a must, and on Open Table you'll be stuck with senior citizen times (5:45pm) or really late times, so phone for a shot at a decent hour.

Costa Mesa, California
“Best Prime Rib of My Life!”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

So gooooood! I'm surprised to find out that such a classy place would be located at State College & Ball. It's right at the ground floor of Extron and adjacent to L3. Growing up in this hood, all you really see if hole in the wall Mexican joints and dodgy hidden gems. There's free parking here, so you can afford that extra drink after all.

I organized my brother and 4 other friends to come here because we all lived/worked nearby and I've heard a lot of good things about the food and wine here. The ambiance is very intimate (romantic even) and very upscale. Think: Napa Rose with a cowboy twist.

I read many reviews about the Prime Rib, which is not on the menu, so I ordered that medium rare with broccoli as a substitute for the potatoes au gratin since I was trying to lay off potatoes and cheese ($39). Holy cowboy boots! Do you ever get full and still want to keep eating something because it tastes THAT good? This had to be one of the best prime ribs my tongue has ever touched. I kid you not, it was like eating silky morsels of prime succulent beef. It was very soft, tender, and lightly salted. Everyone at my table was jealous and wish they ordered it too. If I come here next time, screw getting anything else; I'm sticking with the prime rib!
I had a sample of the Kobe beef carpaccio ($18) and lamb chops also ($39), which were tasty, but they were not the prime rib. Not...even...close. The beef carpaccio did melt in your mouth though, so if you like beef and can't chew or have no teeth, this appetizer would really work for you. The bread was really good, but try not to get full off of it. The food here is too good not to finish.

The drinks were well made and the service was excellent. I never saw an empty water glass and they were on top of everything. This place is not over-rated. If I could afford it, I'd give this place more stars. There's a also a saloon next door, but because we came on a Tuesday, it wasn't open (cover is free if you purchase an entree). The saloon is open Wednesday to Sunday. If you have a special occasion or just feel like blowing cash or eating some good grub, The Ranch Restaurant is the place to go!

1 Thank buffy0182
Tustin, California
“Comfortable ambiance, great service, mixed food.”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was our second trip to The Ranch but this time we took the kids. Perfect atmosphere for the family. Casual enough to be comfortable in jeans but still upscale enough to work for a special occasion. They had a prix fixe meal that was a good value at $65 (four delicious courses - microscopic amuse bouche of melon soup <seriously, about a tablespoon>, raw ahi appetizer, seared fish next, steak entrée and a pistachio cake dessert). My son had the four pound rib eye. It was not as big as we thought it would be and was definitely not enough to feed two people (once you cut away the fat and bone). Well, maybe it would feed two normal people but not enough if one of the people is my fourteen year old. We all got the carpaccio which is reminiscent of the way An Qi used to serve their carpaccio (with mixed greens, mushrooms and truffles). Since their chef used to work at An Qi, I guess it makes sense. Anyway, it was delicious but a bit pricey at $18 pp. Their popovers were great but they only come with butter and jam. It would be so simple for them to do a savory compound butter and at $6, they should give you that choice. The chicken was just okay. The short rib was dry. The lobster mac and cheese had very little lobster. Jose was our server and he was great. He was friendly and efficient and went out of his way to find us another rib eye bone so our two dogs wouldn't fight over the one we got. We loved the chocolate twist dessert (again, very much like An Qi used to serve) and the sticky toffee pudding dessert. Dinner (without drinks) was $90 per person. A very pleasant evening overall.

Fountain Valley, California
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We have dined here several times. The food is always delicious and the service is outstanding. Food is locally sourced.

Visited May 2014