“tried it twice,never again unless they improve”

Americas Best Value Astoria Inn and Suites
Ranked #83 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 24 November 2009

This was my second time there, it was only for a few days and I remembered it had cheap prices...what I didn't remember was that the carpet was filthy and that the beds were so old and uncomfortable we would have slept on the floor-but it was too dirty.They had made a few improvements since the last time we were there so there is always hope..The pool was cold but the hot tub was good and yes they had a very clean laundry room to use. Fridge and microwave were real nice and the room was large..so for those things--Yes--it was good. Don't go by what I say, try it for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 October 2009

was a bit worried having read previous reviews on the cleanliness of this hotel, but it was fine - yes it is very dated and worn around the edges, but our room was very clean, bathroom was spotless and beds were clean and comfortable. We knew it was budget so clean and comfortable was all we were after.
Pool area is not great but did not really use it.
It is a good brisk 20 min walk to Disney but there is an ART bus stop right outside which you can use for $4 for an all day pass.
The only thing that would put me off staying there again was the location, the walk is far when it is hot, but the view of the Disney fireworks is great!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kteck
Reviewed 16 July 2009

I was very surprised when we arrived. From the reviews I was not expecting much. We rented a Family suite for 9 days, there were 2 beds in one room and one in a separate room. We had a microwave and refridgerator in the room as well as a coffee pot. The real surprise was that they had an ironing board and a safe in the room. The safe was one that allowed you to program in the code and then reset it when you left.

The pool and spa were open all night and you could see the fireworks at night from Disney. I would stay here every time as it was also reasonably priced for fitting 6 people in it comforably.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank LavadourWife
Reviewed 10 April 2009

We booked last minute for a job interview & 2 days at Disneyland. The location is one block off Harbor & a straight shot to the parking garage. The rooms are decent sized. The beds are rock hard...no give in the mattresses at all. The carpet was stained & when we put our baby down to crawl around, her feet & knees turned black (not a little bit, but a lot in only 20 minutes). The babies blankets ended up smelly musty & they got very congested anytime we were in the room. By the end of the trip, the adults were having the same problems. The bathroom door wouldn't close. There was a burnt outlet cover in the room, lack of weather stripping around the room door, and general stains & build up thru out the rest (especially in the bathroom corners).

We complained about the condition of the carpeting & were told it was because of the Disneyland's fireworks. I told her we'd never had that problem before & we've stayed directly across from the park & she said, they have inside corridors...... not all of them!!!

They also have in-room safes, that I'm pretty sure we got charged for even though we didn't use it. (added charge on top of room rate). They told me they had a continental breakfast available from 6:30-9:30am. They were never open when I went out around 6:45am & sometimes not until almost 7:30am. They had a box of doughnuts & some pastries, coffee & I believe juice.

The pool is small (which is fine, this is a smaller motel) but the hot tub was nasty looking, so we avoided both.

Bottom Line: This motel is older with people running it that just don't care. As long as they get your money....you can just deal with the filth & smell. I am contacting corporate to see what their opinion is. I would chose to sleep in my car with the twin babies then to stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2009

This hotel was close enough to walk. I saw a lot of reviews before we left that commented on crossing the highway, and although I wasn't worried for me and my boyfriend thought that it might not be appropriate for children. The highway crossing is actually a bridge over the highway, and although it is located on busy streets it is definitely not right on the highway. It was wonderfully close to Disney, tons of restaurants and transportation was easy to figure out to get around Anaheim. The hot tub was kept warm enough and after long days of travelling or playing we definitely enjoyed soaking for a bit. My only complaint was that the rooms were a little worn and run down, they just felt overused and I am not generally a picky traveller. Overall though the whole place and experience was wonderful and definitely good enough to spend a few nights.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2009

What I wanted: a good place to stay within walking distance to Disneyland. And I got it!

Finding It: This Inn is easy to find, one short block off Harbor Blvd. The sign is high and clear, and the check-in is very close to the regular parking spaces. The check-in process was quick and painless.

Settling In: there were spacious drawers into which to put our clothes, and the fridge is not one of those tiny dorm-room types, but the taller kind (still with the freezer inside the main compartment with the little flip-down door). It and the two-speed, twist-dial microwave worked well our whole visit.

Amenities: The big CRT TV has about 12 cable channels and a remote. The sink and towel area, which is not separated by a door, has a spacious sink, a 4-cup coffee maker, ice bucket, plastic-wrapped plastic cups, ice bucket, and tissues. We were left one coffee packet per day, plus ample sugar, sweet & low, non-dairy creamer, stirrers, and small styrofoam cups. I wish there had been tea, or at least decaf coffee.

Bath: the toilet room has a bathtub/shower combination with a nice, heavy shower curtain with liner. Even though a fresh roll of TP was left every day, an extra roll was always also left. The bathmat and all towels were bright white, but rough as anything. My friend and I joked that we were exfoliating daily. They did absorb just fine, and about 6 clean towels were left for us daily.

Soap etc.: Instead of those tiny bottles you usually get, this place has shampoo, conditioner, soap, and lotion in those wall-mounted things you see in the SkyMall catalog. I like this, because the waste in making all those little bottles that are used once or twice and then tossed makes me a little insane. There's soap in both the shower and next to the sink, of course (the lotion is in the dispenser next to the sink). All these items were just fine for our use.

Beds: I had been concerned about the beds after reading a review where a traveler found them too soft. Not so here! These beds are so firm, I worried I wouldn't sleep well. (I slept fine.) The pillows are a little soft for my taste, but again, were okay in the end.

Wireless: The WiFi connection required a password, easily obtainable from the front office in a promptly answered phone call. It's faster than my home connection and absolutely solid.

Continental breakfast: I'd skipped this after hearing it was just donuts and juice from other travelers, until the morning of our fourth day. It's more than that: brewed coffee, donuts and cinnamon rolls (and plenty of them), fresh-looking orange juice, and white and wheat bread with an available toaster and butter. Not bad!

Quiet: The Inn is not far from I-5 nor the very busy Harbor Blvd, yet we rarely heard anything more than the low murmur of road noise; not enough to bother us, nor enough to make the TV hard to hear. We also didn't hear a peep out of our neighbors to either side nor below.

Light: the room was a bit dark, although there are 3 lights in the main room and more in the sink and toilet area. The drapes do a good job of blocking midday sun for a nap.

Upkeep: most everything was completely serviceable, but there were noticeable deficits. The bathroom door clearly had been punched and poorly patched, the electrical plug for the microwave and fridge was a little loose (which I found a little alarming). The toilet felt a little rocky (maybe just the tank was poorly connected).

Pool: The pool and spa area were closed for renovation. The pool is pretty small and goes from 3.5 to 5' deep. We dipped our feet in anyway; it was ice cold. The spa was hot, though, so we snuck into it. It was shabby looking but quite comfortable. The jets worked just fine. There are three plastic chaise longues and 5 plastic chairs for use at the pool area. It is normally, I suppose, secured by a key but only latched on our visit.

Washing area: There are two dryers and one washing machine, all $1 by coin-op, and a machine for buying $1 one-use soap, softener, and all-fabric bleach. It looked clean, but we didn't use it.

Room service: There is no room service provided by the Inn (no restaurant), but there is a laminated menu from http://www.OrderInn.com/ available in the room. We did not use them, but the prices are Anaheim-average and the offerings range from basic American to somewhat fancy.

Distance to Disneyland Resort: It is an easy, can't-get-lost walk to Disneyland from the Inn. It is up and over I-5, yet we never felt nervous walking back after the Park closed.

Checkout: Checking out was seamless and easy. Despite the sign on the desk that says you must ask for the room-safe charge to be removed, the charge was never on my bill. They were only too happy to print out a statement of charges on my request.

Summary: I have stayed in the Disneyland area four times in as many years. Through Priceline, I've been able to pay $45-65 a night, usually without microwave, refrigerator, or free wireless, nor know exactly where we'd end up--one walkable mile from Disneyland, or 3 miles and depending on an hourly shuttle. Here, I was able to pay $59/night, have all these amenities, and know that it would be an easy walking distance to Disneyland (1/2 mile, measured by Gmap Pedometer). We were able to drive a few miles to a grocery store and buy and store enough food for a 5-day visit, where we ate out only twice. I'd say it's a win.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelingMomAndKid
Reviewed 2 March 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Astoria for 4 nights and found it perfect for us. We were looking for a basic hotel for a good price and the Astoria is exactly that. It is a nice, quiet little hotel with incredibly friendly staff. The staff was very helpful on numerous occassions. From leaving the pool open a little later at night to helping us deal with our annoying airport shuttle, the staff at the Astoria was extremely helpful. My wife and I are a young couple with no kids so we had no problems with the approx 20 minute walk to Disneyland. In summary, the Astoria is a tremendous value for what you pay. If you are on a budget like we were, the Astoria is a great option.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple