“Could have been better”

Ranked #40 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
seelove00
“Could have been better”
Reviewed 12 April 2009

We booked our suite on the phone a month prior to our stay and called two days prior to confirm. When we arrived, check in was easy and the front desk was very efficent. However, when we went up stairs, we found that we had a single room with two double beds only. With 8 people in our party, needless to say the room was too small. We were told that suites were available "first come, first serve basis" and there were no more available. I was disappointed that there was no offer of an extra room. The front desk did offer roll out beds, though did not bring them up until 9pm( we checked in at 2pm) The next morning we did get our suite after being told that we would have to pay for the roll out beds from the night before.

If traveling with young children, be ready to purchase the bus pass. The walk is too long for little legs after a full day at Disneyland. As for the breakfast, it could have been the time we went down 8:30am, but it was packed in the breakfast room both mornings and we could not get one table, let alone the two we needed for our party. When we decided to sit near the pool to eat, a employee told us we couldn't be in there since the pool area was not open. Needless to say, it was inconveinent dragging everyone back up to the third floor to eat their breakfast.

Both rooms we stayed in were absolutely spotless and the suite was large and spacious once we got ours. In the future, I think we will avoid this hotel, since it did not seem accomodating to large families.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Cortona_Cares, Director of Sales at Cortona Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort, responded to this review, 16 April 2009
Dear Seelove00,
Thank you for your review and comments. First, my apologies that the room type that you reserved was not available. On rare occasions this may happen for different reasons, and at times beyond the control of the hotel. Unforseen emergencies that require guests to extend their stay in the room type that was being held for you is one example. Its not something we like to see happen and certainly understand your point of view. I would, however, like to mention that we dont have double size beds at the Cortona Inn. All rooms have Queen Size beds except for our single bedded King Rooms which have a King bed. As for the rollaway beds, if you would contact me directly I would be happy to make any appropriate adjustment for you. If we made an attempt to accommodate you by placing rollaway beds in the room, there should not have been any additonal charge.

As for our Continental Breakfast, it does get quite busy, especially when the hotel is full. Your visit during spring break is not only a popular time of the year when schools are out, but it does increase the amount of traffic one may encounter, whether it be parks, restaurants, hotels, etc. I can tell you that breakfast earlier in the morning is usually less crowded. So, set the alarm for 6am and be there at 630 to enjoy a great Continental Breakfast.

As for your guest rooms, thanks for recognizing the hard work of our wonderful housekeeping staff. They truely do work hard to make sure that every guest enjoyes a clean and fresh room from the moment of check-in and througout their stay.

Thanks again and hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Arizona
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We stayed 5 nights and had three rooms. The rooms were spotless, and the hotel staff was very friendly and most accommodating. We wanted all three rooms close together. Done. We needed some extra towels one day. Done. The breakfast was great! They had an employee working nonstop to keep the items stocked. Get there early though if you want a table. Diabetics, bring your own sugar free syrup if you want a waffle. I needed to send a fax and asked them where a kinkos was. They offered to send it for me. I even forgot to turn in a room safe key, and they told me I could mail it to them. This was a nice hotel staffed with nice people! The kids enjoyed the pool. We would definitely stay there again, and remember the key!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank DisneylandJunky
Cortona_Cares, Director of Sales at Cortona Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort, responded to this review, 8 April 2009
Dear DisneylandJunky,
Wow!! Five nights and three rooms...I bet everyone had a wonderful time. Very nice to read that we met your expectations in all categories. We have made many improvements over these past twelve months with customer service a top priority. We have implemented a variety of small changes internally that may not be visiable to our guests, but do have a positive impact on their overall stay. I am pleased to know that guests leave our hotel satisfied and appreciative of our services and amenities. Thanks for your honest and humble review.
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 27 March 2009

When we arrived our room was not ready. That was ok though, we just went got some lunch. When we came back it was ready. I opened the door and it was fresh smelling and very clean. The person that we had the pleasure of checking us in was Leslie. She is one of the nicest people I think I have ever met. Thank you for all your hard work. I trully hope that you had a Happy Birthday. The Breakfast was good to get the morning started. I thought that the hotel did a wonderful job the kept the breakfast fully stocked and always with a smile on the employees faces. This location does not have a shuttle to Disneyland but you can ride the ART bus/Tram from the front of the Clarion Hotel for 2 adults it only cost us $28.oo which is way better than parking at the parks or even walking. i would recommend this hotel I got a great rate and if I can when we go back in the near future I'll stay there again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Kimmiko,
Thank you for a very candid and wonderful review of the Cortona Inn & Suites. You know, this happens frequently that rooms may not always be available when arriving prior to check in time. This is true for any hotel. Mainly, check out time is 11AM and once the guest departs, the housekeeping staff goes in and prepares the room for the next guest. Often, we can accommodate early check-ins, but there are times when it just simply isnt available. However, your decision to have lunch was perfect as you were able to enjoy unwind after the journey to Anaheim, have a nice lunch and the whole time your room was being prepared for you. I would have done the same thing. So, great idea. But, I do have good news...as I promise in these responses, we have made a change to the ART stop. Now, instead of making your way to the other side of the other hotel, the new stop will be at the Bus Stop just next to our entrance on Harbor Blvd. We will now have our own dedicated ART shuttle stop. It just couldnt get any better, right?? As for the nominal fee, your right. Since parking is not free at the Disneyland Resort, its a bargain considering you are picked up in front of our hotel and dropped inside the Disneyland Resort. This change will take effect within a matter of days.
Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Disneyland Resort!!
utah
Reviewed 16 March 2009

We really enjoyed our stay here this last week. The rooms were very clean. It was nice after a long day to come back to a clean room. the only thing that I had a problem with is the breakfast-it was supposed to be from 6:30-9 and we went about 7:30 two of our 4 days and the had no more biscuts and gravy one day and no more make your own waffles the next. A little frustrating that you didn't keep everything the whole time and we had to settle for donuts and cold cereal. But other than that we had a nice stay. I would recomend it to anyone. The staff was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Cortona_Cares, Director of Salesw at Cortona Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort, responded to this review, 25 March 2009
Dear disneylover,
Thank you for your kind review and comments. First, I would like to apologize that you were not able to enjoy our Continental Breakfast to the fullest. Since our breakfast is served from 6:30 to 9:30 each morning, I do not know why there were items missing during the time of your visit. But, I will bring your comments to the attention of our General Manager so we can address this issue. I would like to suggest to anyone who may be reading these comments that should you ever experience a similar situation at any hotel, please make an attempt to notify the manager on duty or restaurant staff. But again, please accept our apologies. And I am pleased to know that you found our staff to be courteous and attentive to your needs. Comments such as yours are very helpful to guests that are planning a visit to Anaheim and I thank you for bringing your comments to this site. Thanks!
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 16 March 2009

Wow, I really like this place.
The hotel was nice. I saw other reviews and would agree, this is really more like a motel, where you drive up and park your car right outside your room, rather than a hotel where the parking is separate.
But this place was very nice, clean, and safe feeling. It is walkable from Disneyland, but its quite a walk, about 15 minutes at a leisurely pace.
There is a shuttle that goes back and forth that picks up at the Clarion hotel next door every 15 minutes. (the shuttle takes an hour break between noon and 1PM) but you are the last stop for the bus before going to Disney and the 3rd stop when leaving the park. (All 3 stops are right next to each other on the same street)
The room was clean, and the bed fine, nothing special, but bring your own pillows. The biggest bonus was the "continental breakfast". This was the best thing about this place and saved us a bunch of money. This was no danish and coffee. They had Belgian waffles that you make on waffle irons. Incredible biscuits and gravy, fresh juice, oatmeal, milk, cereal, hard boiled eggs, bagels and more. They were playing the extra features on Disney DVDS which was great on a big flat screen TV while you ate. This was nice because it started my day with a cool Disney feeling getting ready for a day in the park.
It was about $30 cheaper to stay here than some of the places across the street from the park. But we realized in the cost of buying lockers in the park ($7 per day for a locker that you can open and close all day long), and buying the tickets for the shuttle ($4 round trip per person per day), we could have stayed right next door and gone back to the room to change clothes for the night, or to take a nap for almost that same price difference. So, it would have been worth it to pay that extra cash.
But other than that, it was a great stay. Oh, yes, the hot tub was great after walking around the park all day. Nice and hot, and great jets. Sadly it closes at 10 PM and they were pretty strict about closing it on schedule.
Over all it was a great stay. I'd recommend it, and had a great time.
The hotel staff was nice and helpful.
Hope this helps you in your decision.
Take care,
Craig G. (Rohnert Park,Sonoma County, CA)
P.S. Check out the surpiseingly heavy trash can in the room. You can use it as an emergency weapon in the upcoming zombie attacks. :)

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
Cortona_Cares, Director of Sales at Cortona Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort, responded to this review, 25 March 2009
Dear Craig,
I would like to thank you for your review and comments about the Cortona Inn & Suites. Your comments are very, very helpful to guests especially since you have provided some very good information that is positive and beneficial to those shopping for a hotel in the Anaheim Resort. Not to boast, but we don’t cut costs on our Biscuits and Gravy and the Belgium Waffles are the tastiest. You may have left out some of the breakfast items we offer, but the fact that you were pleased with our breakfast says it all. One can visit our site to get a current list of the items we serve for our Continental Breakfast.
With respect to your comments about room access and parking, it’s ironic that I responded to another guest who felt as though that where you park your car determines if it’s a hotel or motel. Exterior entrances provide quick and easy access to guest’s rooms and in an emergency is inherently safer. At the Cortona Inn, another cost savings is that we do not charge for parking. There are several hotels in the resort that do have parking fees and require you to park father away from your room.
Thanks again Craig for providing a valuable review of the Cortona Inn & Suites to those travelers who are looking for clean and comfortable accommodations that are affordable and offers great amenities and value added features.
Alaska
Reviewed 7 March 2009

My whole family liked this hotel. It had everything that we were looking for- continental breakfast, pool, spa, close to disney, clean, separate room for the kids without them being in a different room altogether (suite). The arcade was not really an arcade, but who really needs one on vacation? The rooms had a microwave, fridge, desk, tv in each room and was clean! Our four boys loved having a room like home -bunkbeds, queen bed, tv, closet and lots of space. We were very pleased, the access to the rooms was nice (outside without feeling like a motel) and you didn't have to track water all over the halls after swimming. Towels at the pool too. Also, with a family of six, the laundry room was great with a Target store and many othes right up the street. We traveled with another family and they had a regular two queen bed room and they liked the acommodations too. I have already recommended La Cortona to other friends and they are staying there soon!

• Liked — housekeeping did a great job everyday and were nice
  • Disliked — big scary fires in surrounding area-ashes in pool and black sky
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Dear hiroshijg,
Thank you for pleasant review and comments of the Cortona Inn. We appreciate these comments as they truly represent what we offer. And that is clean, comfortable, convenient accommodations with room types that are suited for just about any family. The suite you have described (1 Bedroom Toscana Kids Suite) is our most popular because of the Bunk Beds. Your comment is so true, because we here often that the kids just love it. As for our breakfast, we are gaining notoriety for a wonderful breakfast that offers much more than most. The fact that it can save the average family about $30.00 a day in food cost is a great bonus that we offer complimentary each morning to all registered guests. It is nice to hear also that you did take advantage of our other facilities and services and as a result, your vacation was pleasant, memorable and fun. And that, after all, is truly what it is all about... Thanks again for your comments and review of our hotel.
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 5 March 2009

Let me begin by saying my husband and I are not picky when it comes to hotel rooms. We travel several times a year and have had to book low-end 2 star motels if nothing else was available and have been pleased as long as it was clean and comfortable.
The Cortona Inn is NOT a three star hotel. Although the website shows a nice lobby, the lobby building is very separate from the rooms. The facility is a motel; entered by ramps on the outside; NOT a hotel. The room was very noisy, as we could hear traffic and people outside all night long. We got very little sleep. I called management one morning at 3:30 A.M. and requested they ask guests outside to be quiet and nothing was done. Management was not helpful. I've had better rooms. Room was small and okay as far as cleanliness. The pool was very small and very dirty when we were there, so we never attempted to swim in it.
There are too many hotels at reasonable prices in Anaheim to have to settle for Cortona.
Go elsewhere!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravellingPrncess
Dear TravelingPrincss,
Thank you for taking the time to express your opinions about our hotel. The Cortona Inn & Suites is rated by AAA and has been awarded three diamonds. Close to 50% of the hotels in the Anaheim Resort have exterior corridors that allows guests quick and easy access to their rooms. It is unfortunate that your stay was interrupted by other guests that may not have been as courteous as others. Our staff is trained to respond to guest issues that are reported to our Guest Services and can assure you that attempts were made to identify the source of the noise you experienced and resolve the issue.

With respect to our pool, the last few days of Feb. 2009 we had new safety drains installed in our pool to comply with new county safety standards. At the same time we had the pool interior and Jazuzzi interior resurfaced to provide our guests with a nice clean and sparkling pool with the latest safety features. During the process, pool chemicals were reintroduced into the pool and it took a couple of days to balance the chemicals and stabilize the water filtration process. The pool is sparkling clean and currently being enjoyed by our hotel guests. Your experience is unfortunate but by no means is representative of our pool.

Again, I thank you for your comments.