“Average hotel ... disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cortona Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort

Cortona Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort
Ranked #38 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Texas
“Average hotel ... disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2009

After reading all the good ratings regarding this hotel, I am so disappointed after our four nights stay. The room is clean and spacious but you can feel the spring from your bed. The hotel is old and needs some renovations job to keep it look better.

Breakfast area is small and crowded. For the first three mornings, there was only one "poor" staff to take care all the cleaning and food/ drink refilling. (Previously we stayed in San Diego Comfort inn, there were at least 3 staffs to serve) Poor girl had to run around and tried to keep all the hungry guests happy. However, not much she could do by herself, the tables were dirty, floor was a mess and sticky.

The pool is small but clean. Microwave and fridge are good features. Parking is free but you have to pay extra hotel resort fee which we do not understand why?

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cortona_Cares, Director of Sales at Cortona Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2009
Dear Texas_1234,
Thank you for your review. I want to emphasize that we take your comments very serious and will look into the condition you found our breakfast room. Although food items have a natural tendancy to find the floor, it is our job to ensure that the room remains tidy and orderly so that all guests can enjoy breakfast. Regarding the spring in the bed, if it was not reported to our hotel staff during your stay, the mattress must be inspected to determine the remedy if in fact a spring is broken or damaged. Of course, hotel bedding like bedding for your home should be comfortable. We will have this checked immediately. I should mention a room upgrade that will be completed shortly and will enhace the overall appearance of our hotel.
Thank you again for your review and for brining this to our attention. And since we do not know the room which you occupied during your stay, if you could kindly email me john@cortonainn.com or call me 714-971-5000 with the room number or your first and last name so I can look up your guest record to find your room number.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Northern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2009

We stayed at this hotel while we went to Disneyland. We had a great time.
Pros:
- Continental breakfast (biscuits/gravy, waffles, cereal, oatmeal, toast, fruit) - free
- Free & ample parking
- Nice room (well sized, clean, comfortable)
- The staff was very nice
- Walking distance to Disneyland (~15-20 min)
- Great deal overall
Cons:
- Swimming pool rather small (we didn't use it, stayed at disney late though so it didn't matter)
- 15-20 min walk to Disney is a long walk when it's late and you're tired

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear 25SunnyCalifornia,
Thank you for your review. Quick, to the point and positive. As for the distance to the Disneyland Resort the new ART stop at our hotel entrance will make the short distance to and from the park much more managble.
Thanks again for your complimentary review.
Phx az
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2009

Good Day to you. Our stay here was a real treat. We arrived (April 18-22) to find that the travel agent made an error, the wonderful staff set to task post haste to correct it in our favor. Alma (?spelling) took the call and note was made before we left for the trip. Manager Adrian (?spelling) was so kind. He just went over the top to rectify the situation. He fixed a issue of two kids one stuffed toy leaving a personal thoughtful note. (we had purchased a package deal through our travel agent) When we arrived in the room WOW! Two stuffed toys and popcorn and a very sweet personal note. They MADE IT RIGHT! Even allowing for internet access so we could work on getting the issues with the car accident resolved. Judy (at the desk was so sweet) We had been in a car accident on our drive over, and the thoughtfulness was so helpful in restoring the trip. The pool! Lots of towels available. Oh the clean water was so beautiful and a nice 4' pool so the kids were much safer. The jacuzzi a must after walking all day at Disneyland. Then the breakfast! WOW Guadalupe (?spelling) and the other woman who tended the full buffet were "johnny on the spot"! Waffles, boiled eggs, donuts, gravy and biscuits, two juices and I think at least three different cereals and all the fixings of syrup, both sugars coffee and even hot water for tea. This saved our little family of 4 at least $30. every morning. The room was very nice and such detail to the little things...We had a king bed and a set of bunk beds for the kids. Two TV's. That was the ONLY issue our package had a free movie night (we used this for our first night to rest up for the park). Unfortunately the master TV had been tampered with. Not Cortona's fault some crook trying to get something for nothing I suppose. Our room had a refrigerator and a microwave that REALLY worked well. We took our foods from home and remember a case of water at least if you do not want to pay $3 for it in the park!
Any way every day the room was well kept. We had the option of reusing our towels to conserve water and did so. All linens were thick and nice. The beds were really comfortable and good pillows and plenty of them! We were so surprised at the luxury for this well priced hotel They had even washed the bedspread on day we were there. So many times those things are left un-attended. There was a safe in the room too. It was set back in the hollow off of Harbor Blvd. It was so much quieter than other hotels we have stayed at in the past trips to the park. We had the perfect baloney (just outside or door) to see the fireworks at night.
VERY highly recommend it. Tell that awesome staff hello from me!
The shuttle to the park is around and through a parking lot this was a little uncomfortable late at night for me. Better lighting or is a shuttle would come to Cortona it would be perfect!

1 Thank JAALU
Cortona_Cares, Director of Sales at Cortona Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort, responded to this review, 4 May 2009
Dear JAALU,
Thanks for your wonderful review of the Cortona Inn & Suites. Very please to read that your stay was comfortable and fun for everyone. Your review hit on a couple of points that I really like to hear. 1.) Our deluxe Continental Breakfast that you found not only very satisfying, but the fact that it saved you s o much money every day. That can really add up and truly represents a huge savings. 2.) Our location. It is true that we are thoughtully set back off Harbor Blvd just enough so that our guest rooms do not pick up the noise from traffic passing by the boulevard. 3.) Maid Service. Our maids take their job very serious and do strive to ensure that every guest receives a clean and comfortable room. I guess I could add in a fourth point and that would be value for the dollar. We know that the current trend is for those seeking the best value for their money. That is why we remain extremely competitive...without sacrificing on comfort, amenities and little extras.

Thanks again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Northern Cali
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2009

I stayed at the Cortona Inn April15-18, 2009 and at first enjoyed my experience but by the last night I decieded that I was never going to stay there again. I was traveling with my husband, elderly mother and my 15 and 12 year old nieces to enjoy the Disneyland Theme park. Upon arrival at check in I asked the front desk if I could pay with cash since I did not have the $500 + dollars on my credit card to pay for the three nights stay. The check in person told me not to worry about it and that I could pay when I checked out. Well before the third night after walking back from disneyland, which by the way is quite along walk, my husbands key would not work to get into the room, he went to the front desk and the woman at the front desk told him that he must of demagnitized his card and that she could not re-issue another to him because the room was not in his name. he was very angry and tired so he waited around for me to show up outside, the front desk lady foloowed him outside and kept looking at him like he was a common criminal or something. I showed up a little while longer and gave him my key, it too did not work I knew that my card had not been demagnitized, it had been in my car's trunk the whole stay, so I went in to see what was going, and the front desk lady told me that they had expired our keys because we needed to pay our bill. She gave us new keys and my husband and I went to our dinner reservations, meantime Granny and the kids are coming home from disneyland and are exaughsted and they got locked out too. Needless to say i sent my husband to pay the bill with cash and then they only charged us $375, I thought alright they are rectifying their horrible treatment of us, WRONG, the Reclept said that there was a balance of $21 so in the morning I sent my husband back down there and they charged him another $100 +dollars. If you want to get treated like a common criminal and you like to be subjected to liars and getting locked out , then this is the place for you.

3 Thank TeeCee_111
Cortona_Cares, teeCee_111 at Cortona Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort, responded to this review, 22 April 2009
Dear TeeCee_111,
Without having all the details about how your accommodations were being settled, I want to share with you a common hotel practice that is indicative of most hotels in the US as well as those in other countries. When checking in to a hotel, even for cash paying customers, it is quite commen that a credit is also requested to cover any additional charges that may be incurred during the course of ones stay. Although room charges may be paid in advance in cash upon arrival, additional charges are billed to your room account and settled at the time of check out using whatever payment method you choose, whether cash or credit card. As I stated above, this is common in our industry. Second, if the gentleman that came in to the lobby asked for a key to your room and was not recognized by the clerk on duty and was not able to verify his identity, the clerk is trained to refuse the guest access to the room. Please understand that this is for your protection. No hotel can issue a key to a guest that is not identified as being the occupant of the room nor to one who is unable to verify his/her identity. Clerks are trained in guest safety and security and there are many tactics that must be employed to ensure that only guests that should have access to a guest room are in fact a registered guest in that room. BUT, I can guarantee you that at NO time would our clerks have suspected that you or anyone else in your party as being criminal like for waiting outside our lobby or sitting in our lobby nor do we think of any guest as being a common criminal.
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2009

Front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Continental breakfast was above average and offered plenty of options including fresh fruit. It's an older hotel so it's not in perfect shape, but it's extremely clean. Housekeeping does a great job. The rooms are spacious. It was nice to have a fridge and microwave in the room. You can see the Disney fireworks from the 3rd floor balcony. A bit of a walk to the parks- but no longer than the walk from most hotels in the area. Just a short drive (or a 45 min walk) to Angel stadium if you want to see a baseball game.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Cortona_Cares, Director of Sales at Cortona Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort, responded to this review, 22 April 2009
Dear diatwo,
Thank you for your comments and kind review. Although there are many hotels in the Anaheim Resort that have been here longer than we have, it proves once again that you cannot judge a book by its cover. What the Cortona Inn & Suites is proud of is the fact that we maintain our facilities to ensure a pleasant guest experience and demand of our housekeeping department high standards so that our guests can enjoy clean and comfortable accommodations. With nice amenities that you have mentioned such as fridge (and not one of those teeny-weeny ones), microwave oven, fresh brew coffee maker, iron/ironing board it does help to make ones stay convenient and comfortable. Plus, our cpmplimentary Deluxe Continental Breakfast is full of many great morning favorites for everyone to enjoy. This alone can save a family anywhere from $10-30 per day just in breakfast costs alone. As for the walk to Angel Stadium, I would reccommend hopping on the OCTA public transit bus (route 50) and get there in about 5-8 minutes for just a couple of dollars. So, thanks again for your nice review and perhaps we will have the opportunity to see you again on your next visit to the Anaheim Resort.
Bay Area
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2009

Got a good deal for the 3 nights we stayed there. But would not stay there again.
Pros:
It was clean
Breakfast was included
Hot tub
Easy Parking

Cons:
Reserved the room months in advance and requested rooms next to family members. Had, previous to booking, called to make sure that this was possible. Was told that this was not a problem if we all got single rooms. Booked single rooms. Called again a week prior about the rooms was told to call the night before to make sure that we had rooms next to each other. Called the night before and was told to call the morning of our check in. The morning of was told that we had rooms close but not next to each other. Huuuh? How hard is it to book 3 rooms together? How hard is it to accommodate a blind vets request for easy assistance from his family? Huuh? Oh well it was a good deal. My blind uncle didn't mind that his bathroom mirror had no light. It was easier that his closet was missing doors. Each night people clambered noisily past our room and woke my child, yelling down to folks in the parking lot. Oh well. There are plenty of hotels to stay at besides this one that are closer to Disney. The walk was quicker than taking the shuttle which you have to catch at another hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank al_me_tra
Well, I could take up a lot of space with this comment to explain why it is not always easy to arrange three rooms together as this guest asks. If all of our rooms were the same type, that would be very easy. But we have Suites, rooms with one King bed and some with two Queen beds and family suites. For example, if room 101 had 1 King bed, room 102 had two Queen beds and room 103 is a suite, in this hypothetical scenario, it would be a challenge to get two rooms in a row that had two queen beds if these were the last three rooms available in the hotel. So, without taking up any more space, I will simply say that we try to accommodate requests to the best of our ability. As for the comments about guest noise around the room, I can only comment that most guests are considerate of others when it comes to communicating with others in their family. And although it is true that there are many choices for hotels in the Anaheim Resort we do offer not only the clean, comfortable and convenioent accommodations that you experienced, but also exceptional value for the dollar. Thanks again and I do appreciate your comments.
seelove00
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2009

We booked our suite on the phone a month prior to our stay and called two days prior to confirm. When we arrived, check in was easy and the front desk was very efficent. However, when we went up stairs, we found that we had a single room with two double beds only. With 8 people in our party, needless to say the room was too small. We were told that suites were available "first come, first serve basis" and there were no more available. I was disappointed that there was no offer of an extra room. The front desk did offer roll out beds, though did not bring them up until 9pm( we checked in at 2pm) The next morning we did get our suite after being told that we would have to pay for the roll out beds from the night before.

If traveling with young children, be ready to purchase the bus pass. The walk is too long for little legs after a full day at Disneyland. As for the breakfast, it could have been the time we went down 8:30am, but it was packed in the breakfast room both mornings and we could not get one table, let alone the two we needed for our party. When we decided to sit near the pool to eat, a employee told us we couldn't be in there since the pool area was not open. Needless to say, it was inconveinent dragging everyone back up to the third floor to eat their breakfast.

Both rooms we stayed in were absolutely spotless and the suite was large and spacious once we got ours. In the future, I think we will avoid this hotel, since it did not seem accomodating to large families.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Cortona_Cares, Director of Sales at Cortona Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort, responded to this review, 16 April 2009
Dear Seelove00,
Thank you for your review and comments. First, my apologies that the room type that you reserved was not available. On rare occasions this may happen for different reasons, and at times beyond the control of the hotel. Unforseen emergencies that require guests to extend their stay in the room type that was being held for you is one example. Its not something we like to see happen and certainly understand your point of view. I would, however, like to mention that we dont have double size beds at the Cortona Inn. All rooms have Queen Size beds except for our single bedded King Rooms which have a King bed. As for the rollaway beds, if you would contact me directly I would be happy to make any appropriate adjustment for you. If we made an attempt to accommodate you by placing rollaway beds in the room, there should not have been any additonal charge.

As for our Continental Breakfast, it does get quite busy, especially when the hotel is full. Your visit during spring break is not only a popular time of the year when schools are out, but it does increase the amount of traffic one may encounter, whether it be parks, restaurants, hotels, etc. I can tell you that breakfast earlier in the morning is usually less crowded. So, set the alarm for 6am and be there at 630 to enjoy a great Continental Breakfast.

As for your guest rooms, thanks for recognizing the hard work of our wonderful housekeeping staff. They truely do work hard to make sure that every guest enjoyes a clean and fresh room from the moment of check-in and througout their stay.

Thanks again and hope to see you again soon.