“Fabulous Hotel, Fabulous Staff, Fabulous Holiday ......”

Cortona Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort
Ranked #39 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 19 June 2009

One of the main reasons i picked this hotel was in my mind if a staff member/management takes the time out to read on trip advisor about their hotel then it must be some good, also to respond as they do. For that reason i was very much looking forward to meeting John Rozatti.
My husband and i arrived at the Cortona and had a funny encounter straight away meeting the reception staff (Michelle and Sammy) whom have the same name as me and hubby. We had a great laugh which was welcoming after an 11.5 hour flight!

We were allocated a king suite with a separate lounge, great to have this and wasn't expecting it, so a lovely surprise after a long flight. There were two TV's, one in lounge and one in the bedroom. There was a 'certain smell' in the room, but i knew from experience being in American hotel rooms its because the windows are either locked or fastened to prevent injury or anyone getting into your room uninvited ! I went to reception and spoke to John who gave me permission to open them, i did this no problem and locked them back up again on departure. The shower and bathroom was very nice and decorated to a fairly high standard, we have been in 5* hotels and they didn't look as nice. A sink was present in the bedroom with ample of towels and a selection of shampoos etc.

The bed was huge, and very comfortable, clean linen and rooms cleaned every day. I have to say that being a well travelled person, i found that the house-keeping staff did a fantastic job, the rooms were spotless not just 'clean and tidy', you do not find this in every hotel.
I couldn't really find fault with anything and i am quite fussy. If i had to be honest and be really picky as some travellers on trip advisor are, then i would have to mention that the carpets were a little stained and appeared old, BUT not a problem for us !
I did fill in a questionnaire on departure to ask if there was any way to accommodate a mini bar, but already knew that rules and regs couldn't foresee this being a 3* property.
We spoke to John on several occasions and very interested to hear that the hotel is going to be re-vamped, we were also lucky to have a sneak pre-view of the master suite and how the other rooms will look sometime soon. I was very impressed, very beautiful. Thank you John for allowing us to see it.

I wanted to mention the truth reguarding breakfast times in the mornings. For future reference i would like to say in defense that breakfasts here are included in the price and are filling to say the least. Boiled eggs, toast, juices, croissants, waffles, cereals, pastries and as much coffee/tea as you want. Everything you could want and more. The staff in here work really hard, also where else can you sit and watch a disney film whilst you eat. Sometimes it can become hectic in there due to not a lot of room to accommodate a lot of tables and chairs, but just wait patiently, and you will be rewarded.

We did not venture in the pools even though heated as the morning for us Brits were coldish, but plenty of people did go in and seemed to be having a good time.

You could buy snacks and coke etc from the vending machine outside of reception. Fairly reasonable in price as well.

The car park is of a good size and i believe free parking, this is a good plus as a lot of hotels surrounding disneyland are pricey, so adds money onto your holiday. The grounds are very nice, and on entering the car park and lobby you feel at ease, this hotel certainly has the 'feel good factor'.
Disneyland is a good walk, but we actually felt it quite nice as often we called into the 7-11 shop on the way back. Also we had nice meals at the new garden walk.
So to some up, we had a lovely holiday and made good friends with the staff here, they were helpful and would do anything they can to make your holiday go without a hitch.
You can also book your park tickets and transport to other favourite places you wish to go, the staff will do this for you. If you do not want to drive then there is transport readily available, we never had any and managed - no problems.

I want to thank John for putting up with us, especially me :) I asked a lot of questions so to put my true thoughts on Trip advisor, he always answered them professionally.

Would i recommend this hotel, course i would no doubt at all, the Cortona had everything we needed and more, for a 3* (including breakfast) it has great rates. Next time i want the posh suite :)

Thanks to everyone for making our holiday a dream come true.

Michelle and Sam - UK.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Derwentrocker

Reviewed 21 May 2009

We stayed in the family suite which accommodated 3 adults and 3 children comfortably. The room has a microwave and small fridge so we were able to stock the fridge with water to take to Disneyland. The room was clean and I have to hand it to the cleaning staff because our room was always clean when we returned at night, which was not an easy job to do with 6 people to clean up after. They have a free continental breakfast that saved us a lot of money. It was a short walk to catch the transit to Disneyland. For the price it was a great place to stay and we will definetly stay there again. They also have free parking and the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Cortona_Cares, Director of Sales at Cortona Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2009

Dear grammyweb,
Thank you for your nice review. I am pleased to know that our hotel met with your satisfaction. I know I have said many times here on this site that we try hard to make everyone stay as comfortable as possible...and your review is proof that we do try hard. It also helps other future travelers to know of your opinion and experience...for example, that our rooms have microwave oven and a good sized refrigerator. It does help one to cut down on costs by stocking up on water, sodas and snacks. That being said, our deluxe Continental Breakfast is another cost saver that can easily save a family of four around $30 day in breakfast meals alone. So, glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and will look forward to your future visit.

Reviewed 21 May 2009

Came to Disneyland with my boyfriend, parents and grandparents, we had 3 rooms in total. I had just finished up working at week long conference in Palm Springs and wanted to relax and go to Disneyland.

PROS
~CLEAN rooms! I must say everything was very clean
~Nice selection at breakfast (however the poor girl working worked her butt of to keep things stocked and clean)
~Fridge & microwave in the room
~They have the ART stop now (at the end of the driveway)
~ Staff was friendly

CONS
~Beds were awful, like sleeping on springs in some spots
~ We had a handicap room (not sure why) and the bar in the shower came out of the wall...good thing I am not handicap and rely on that
~ The hot tub was COLD when we tried to use it and it took about 30 mins to heat up
~towels were TINY TINY...like for a child, I considered going to Target to buy a bigger one.
~My mom said the lighting in the bathrooms was bad... I didnt mind

General comments about the property... While the lobby and outside have been updated and were nice, the rooms need to be next. Dated carpet and decor/linens need to be redone. I think once the rooms are updated with fresh linens and carpet it will be much better. We would stay here again because all in all it was a good trip and we are no frill people who in the end want a clean room to sleep in. I think with a few upgrades like I said this place would be even better.. almost there Cortona Inn & Suites!

Dear jschwan,
Thanks also for your pro and con review. I can tell you that we have mostly favorable reviews with only a fraction appearing on this site. But, we are looking into most of the items you mentioned such as towell,s beds, etc. The Hot Tub is heated by natural gas and not sure how long it should normally take to heat, but have heard that some guests may turn it on, then jump in the pool and swim around a bit, then hop into the jacuzzi. Hey, why didnt I think of that?? Also, although I cant reveal too much more now, but most of the other items you have mentioned are being addressed as we speak.

Thanks again and hope to see you here again soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2009

After reading all the good ratings regarding this hotel, I am so disappointed after our four nights stay. The room is clean and spacious but you can feel the spring from your bed. The hotel is old and needs some renovations job to keep it look better.

Breakfast area is small and crowded. For the first three mornings, there was only one "poor" staff to take care all the cleaning and food/ drink refilling. (Previously we stayed in San Diego Comfort inn, there were at least 3 staffs to serve) Poor girl had to run around and tried to keep all the hungry guests happy. However, not much she could do by herself, the tables were dirty, floor was a mess and sticky.

The pool is small but clean. Microwave and fridge are good features. Parking is free but you have to pay extra hotel resort fee which we do not understand why?

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Cortona_Cares, Director of Sales at Cortona Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2009

Dear Texas_1234,
Thank you for your review. I want to emphasize that we take your comments very serious and will look into the condition you found our breakfast room. Although food items have a natural tendancy to find the floor, it is our job to ensure that the room remains tidy and orderly so that all guests can enjoy breakfast. Regarding the spring in the bed, if it was not reported to our hotel staff during your stay, the mattress must be inspected to determine the remedy if in fact a spring is broken or damaged. Of course, hotel bedding like bedding for your home should be comfortable. We will have this checked immediately. I should mention a room upgrade that will be completed shortly and will enhace the overall appearance of our hotel.
Thank you again for your review and for brining this to our attention. And since we do not know the room which you occupied during your stay, if you could kindly email me john@cortonainn.com or call me 714-971-5000 with the room number or your first and last name so I can look up your guest record to find your room number.

Reviewed 10 May 2009

We stayed at this hotel while we went to Disneyland. We had a great time.
Pros:
- Continental breakfast (biscuits/gravy, waffles, cereal, oatmeal, toast, fruit) - free
- Free & ample parking
- Nice room (well sized, clean, comfortable)
- The staff was very nice
- Walking distance to Disneyland (~15-20 min)
- Great deal overall
Cons:
- Swimming pool rather small (we didn't use it, stayed at disney late though so it didn't matter)
- 15-20 min walk to Disney is a long walk when it's late and you're tired

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family

Dear 25SunnyCalifornia,
Thank you for your review. Quick, to the point and positive. As for the distance to the Disneyland Resort the new ART stop at our hotel entrance will make the short distance to and from the park much more managble.
Thanks again for your complimentary review.

Reviewed 3 May 2009

Good Day to you. Our stay here was a real treat. We arrived (April 18-22) to find that the travel agent made an error, the wonderful staff set to task post haste to correct it in our favor. Alma (?spelling) took the call and note was made before we left for the trip. Manager Adrian (?spelling) was so kind. He just went over the top to rectify the situation. He fixed a issue of two kids one stuffed toy leaving a personal thoughtful note. (we had purchased a package deal through our travel agent) When we arrived in the room WOW! Two stuffed toys and popcorn and a very sweet personal note. They MADE IT RIGHT! Even allowing for internet access so we could work on getting the issues with the car accident resolved. Judy (at the desk was so sweet) We had been in a car accident on our drive over, and the thoughtfulness was so helpful in restoring the trip. The pool! Lots of towels available. Oh the clean water was so beautiful and a nice 4' pool so the kids were much safer. The jacuzzi a must after walking all day at Disneyland. Then the breakfast! WOW Guadalupe (?spelling) and the other woman who tended the full buffet were "johnny on the spot"! Waffles, boiled eggs, donuts, gravy and biscuits, two juices and I think at least three different cereals and all the fixings of syrup, both sugars coffee and even hot water for tea. This saved our little family of 4 at least $30. every morning. The room was very nice and such detail to the little things...We had a king bed and a set of bunk beds for the kids. Two TV's. That was the ONLY issue our package had a free movie night (we used this for our first night to rest up for the park). Unfortunately the master TV had been tampered with. Not Cortona's fault some crook trying to get something for nothing I suppose. Our room had a refrigerator and a microwave that REALLY worked well. We took our foods from home and remember a case of water at least if you do not want to pay $3 for it in the park!
Any way every day the room was well kept. We had the option of reusing our towels to conserve water and did so. All linens were thick and nice. The beds were really comfortable and good pillows and plenty of them! We were so surprised at the luxury for this well priced hotel They had even washed the bedspread on day we were there. So many times those things are left un-attended. There was a safe in the room too. It was set back in the hollow off of Harbor Blvd. It was so much quieter than other hotels we have stayed at in the past trips to the park. We had the perfect baloney (just outside or door) to see the fireworks at night.
VERY highly recommend it. Tell that awesome staff hello from me!
The shuttle to the park is around and through a parking lot this was a little uncomfortable late at night for me. Better lighting or is a shuttle would come to Cortona it would be perfect!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank JAALU
Cortona_Cares, Director of Sales at Cortona Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2009

Dear JAALU,
Thanks for your wonderful review of the Cortona Inn & Suites. Very please to read that your stay was comfortable and fun for everyone. Your review hit on a couple of points that I really like to hear. 1.) Our deluxe Continental Breakfast that you found not only very satisfying, but the fact that it saved you s o much money every day. That can really add up and truly represents a huge savings. 2.) Our location. It is true that we are thoughtully set back off Harbor Blvd just enough so that our guest rooms do not pick up the noise from traffic passing by the boulevard. 3.) Maid Service. Our maids take their job very serious and do strive to ensure that every guest receives a clean and comfortable room. I guess I could add in a fourth point and that would be value for the dollar. We know that the current trend is for those seeking the best value for their money. That is why we remain extremely competitive...without sacrificing on comfort, amenities and little extras.

Thanks again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 20 April 2009

I stayed at the Cortona Inn April15-18, 2009 and at first enjoyed my experience but by the last night I decieded that I was never going to stay there again. I was traveling with my husband, elderly mother and my 15 and 12 year old nieces to enjoy the Disneyland Theme park. Upon arrival at check in I asked the front desk if I could pay with cash since I did not have the $500 + dollars on my credit card to pay for the three nights stay. The check in person told me not to worry about it and that I could pay when I checked out. Well before the third night after walking back from disneyland, which by the way is quite along walk, my husbands key would not work to get into the room, he went to the front desk and the woman at the front desk told him that he must of demagnitized his card and that she could not re-issue another to him because the room was not in his name. he was very angry and tired so he waited around for me to show up outside, the front desk lady foloowed him outside and kept looking at him like he was a common criminal or something. I showed up a little while longer and gave him my key, it too did not work I knew that my card had not been demagnitized, it had been in my car's trunk the whole stay, so I went in to see what was going, and the front desk lady told me that they had expired our keys because we needed to pay our bill. She gave us new keys and my husband and I went to our dinner reservations, meantime Granny and the kids are coming home from disneyland and are exaughsted and they got locked out too. Needless to say i sent my husband to pay the bill with cash and then they only charged us $375, I thought alright they are rectifying their horrible treatment of us, WRONG, the Reclept said that there was a balance of $21 so in the morning I sent my husband back down there and they charged him another $100 +dollars. If you want to get treated like a common criminal and you like to be subjected to liars and getting locked out , then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank TeeCee_111
Cortona_Cares, teeCee_111 at Cortona Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2009

Dear TeeCee_111,
Without having all the details about how your accommodations were being settled, I want to share with you a common hotel practice that is indicative of most hotels in the US as well as those in other countries. When checking in to a hotel, even for cash paying customers, it is quite commen that a credit is also requested to cover any additional charges that may be incurred during the course of ones stay. Although room charges may be paid in advance in cash upon arrival, additional charges are billed to your room account and settled at the time of check out using whatever payment method you choose, whether cash or credit card. As I stated above, this is common in our industry. Second, if the gentleman that came in to the lobby asked for a key to your room and was not recognized by the clerk on duty and was not able to verify his identity, the clerk is trained to refuse the guest access to the room. Please understand that this is for your protection. No hotel can issue a key to a guest that is not identified as being the occupant of the room nor to one who is unable to verify his/her identity. Clerks are trained in guest safety and security and there are many tactics that must be employed to ensure that only guests that should have access to a guest room are in fact a registered guest in that room. BUT, I can guarantee you that at NO time would our clerks have suspected that you or anyone else in your party as being criminal like for waiting outside our lobby or sitting in our lobby nor do we think of any guest as being a common criminal.