“What an Experience”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Lihue, Hawaii
“What an Experience”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I am a huge Disney Fanatic. I try to visit Disneyland at least once a year even though its a five and a half hour plane ride for me to get there. I've always wanted to visit Club 33 after learning about it's history. Never in my dreams did I think I would get the opportunity to experience this wonderful restaurant.
Most people don't even know it exists except the few people who actually know about it. You can easily walk past that door and not think a thing. I was very lucky that my sisters and I had the opportunity to try this wonderful place. You walk up to the door and press the button on the left. A receptionist asks for your name in the speaker. Once you give them your name they will open the door for you if you have a reservations. As you enter, you will be greeted at the door. The attendant was so pleasant and told us that they were ready for us upstairs. We could either take the Authntic French Elevator, or the spiral staircase. We of course, needed to ride in the authentic elevator. Upon reaching the next floor, the Maitre d opened the elevator doors and welcomed us. As they showed us to our tables, I was in awe of the fabulous buffet they had out. Especially the dessert buffet! We were seated at the most beautifully dressed table. Disney definitely thinks about all the little details, even the plates and silverware.
The meal was absolutely wonderful, and the service impeccable. Our water glass was never empty, our napkins always refolded once we returned from the buffet line. After our meal we were able to walk around and see the different areas. The bathroom was cute, with an old fashioned chair as the toilet. Walt's trophy room was amazing, and we defintiely bought a number of souvenirs out of their glass display.
Club 33 was an amazing experience that I will always cherish. I can't see anyone giving up an opportunity to visit such a historical place in Disneyland where few have had the chance to visit.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank KauaiHITraveler

Albuquerque, NM
“A Memorable Privilege”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Let me explain first that I am a Disney fanatic and this had been on my bucket list for YEARS. When a friend of mine questioned if I'd possibly be interested in dining here if she could get us in I didn't hesitate. After confirmation (followed by a rather ecstatic dance I did) I knew I had to do research ahead of time. We were lucky enough to schedule it the same day as our Walk in Walt's Disneyland Footsteps tour. Walt's Apartment & Club 33 all in one day?! Anyway, let me cut to this guy. We had our reservations rather late in the evening at 9pm which is all they had open. I didn't care. I wanted this. The dress code isn't exactly what I would call casual. They do expect you do put some effort in so it doesn't look as though you stepped off the beach and into a restaurant. I did just fine with black skinny jeans, a dressy top and black heels. No! I didn't wear this all day at the park! I suggest a change of clothes stored in lockers or staying at one of the resorts nearby. We changed at our room at the Disneyland hotel to freshen up. I didn't take long to decide what to eat. I saw the four course meal at what I considered a bargain ($90.00 really isn't bad for a four course when you compare it against other restaurants who might offer the same. I've dined at one that offered a four course for 150.00 so this isn't that bad). Every course was delectable. Might I mention that I was uber ecstatic to find out that one of the courses was an artisan cheese platter? Maybe not fit for everyone but, if you love cheese this alone is worth buying. I dined in November 2013 so I was very lucky to be able to dine in the Trophy room before the renovations. I followed up my meal and slew of photos taken with a visit to their souvenir cabinet. No, there is no store. It's a cabinet (assuming they are still keeping this in the plans?). I was able to purchase ears that are exclusive to 33, a polo, a keychain, pin (yes i'm a pin trader), and shot glass. Their pricing on souvenirs really isn't much different from the shops on Main Street. The service was fantastic, the food was delicious and you can't beat the ambience. As much as I love the parks sometimes all you want is some quiet to yourself to hear yourself think. This is definitely the place for that. Did I also mention this is the only place in the Disneyland Park itself where they serve liquor? The authentic mint julep is wonderful (as is it's non-alcoholic version). I don't know if I'll ever get to come back. I'm hoping it's in the cards to visit here again, especially to see the results post refurb. If not, this was a dream come true. There is no better way to make a Disney fan feel more special than Club 33. Thank you!

• Visited November 2013
4 Thank preciousgemcrystal
Reno, Nevada
“My fiance and I got engaged here! What an experience.”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We have been trying to get into this place for almost three years, and we finally landed an opportunity to experience Club 33. I don't know if I will ever go here again (It is very hard to get into), but the dinner we had was amazing and so is the decor. We got to go here prior to the renovations, and everything that we saw spoke "Walt Disney". It's truly a unique experience not offered anywhere else in Disneyland. The bar was great (Only place you can drink alcohol), the food was beautiful and tasty, and the service was great. If you get a chance go here, don't pass it up. And yes, I saved the napkins that are offered in the prettiest bathrooms I've ever been in!

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Rachel C
Santa Cruz, California
“THE ORIGINAL CLUB 33”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

It's a restaurant. It's an attraction. It's an institution. It's a legend. It was a PRIVILEGE!

So, my friend and I scored an invite to the elusive/exclusive CLUB 33 a couple of weeks before it closed for refurbishment, with our goal to experience the Club in it's original and historic format. There is a LOT of hubbub amongst members about the changes, and with good reason (we'll get to that later). Not to add to the Disney cult side of this place, but I admit, there is something quite special in being able to lift the famous brass panel and push the buzzer button to let you inside. There is something special about the glow and feel of being inside; of taking the lift upstairs; of having excellent service and excellent cuisine handed to you. All-in-all, for us, this was the BEST. DISNEY. EXPERIENCE. EVER.

Our server was Jerilynn - awesome in every way! But the thing we noticed is that everyone works together as a great TEAM. Other people worth mentioning were Chase and Timothy.

The dinner was GREAT. We both had rack of lamb and it was my friend's birthday, so he got a very special chocolate mousse for desert that we chowed down on. There was also a dessert buffet with GIANT gingerbread men (our server gave us four extra ones to go).

We also got a great tour of the Club from our server. What was exclusive, was that we got to see all the interior before the refurbishment. What is changing and what is causing all the controversies are:

- Walt's "original trophy room" will no longer exist (one of the best rooms in the club).
- The original lift is going to be on display, replaced by a new, handicapped-accessible lift.
- The logo was apparently never copy written (hard to believe for Disney), so a new logo will be in place.
- There will be a new jazz piano lounge (which, according to our server, was part of Walt's original vision).
- There will be more seating, allowing the Club to send out invites to an additional 80 persons.

I could go on an on, but this is the gist of our experience. We can't wait to go back after the refurbishment. If you can score an invite to the Club, DO IT!! This was really the ultimate Disneyland experience for a couple of Disney freaks. If you want great food while the refurbishment is in progress, visit Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel, where the Club 33 chef, Marcel St. Pierre is currently cooking up a storm!

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Smudge R
Corona, California
“Dessert First”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

In 2013, I went in April and December, both at lunch time. I have been for dinner and for a special breakfast lunch (July). While the place has a "special" allure because you can only get in with a member or through a reservation with a member, the quality of the food and the service continues to decline and the cost has increased substantially. The price of lunch was $65.00. The price of a one day ticket is $92.00. That is $157.00 for the price of the lunch. You used to get admission included with your meal at Club 33, but no more. However, they did offer a $20.00 discount on the price of the ticket. If you are already planning on being at Disneyland, it is worth the adventure, but if you are not planning on going or are not a annual pass holder, it is a pretty expensive lunch. If you are going to pay $65.00 for a meal anywhere, every bite you eat should be scrumptious!

When I have gone, I always believe in dessert first. They usually have some really interesting and tasty desserts, that you do not really get to enjoy after you have had a full meal. So, I believe in dessert first. I would try several desserts, while I am eating what ever cold appetizer and salad items I selected as well. That way I could really enjoy and savor the desserts.

In December of 2013, they had totally changed the way they presented and served the food in preparation for the January 2014 construction. They removed the cold appetizer bar, including the seafood bar, the olive oil and the hot soup. The only "buffet" portion that remained was the dessert bar, plus hot chocolate.

You got to select an entree and soup or salad, rather than the cold buffet of salad items, cheese and appetizers. They were supposed to bring out the cold seafood platter first, before the soup and salad, but alas, that is not what happened in our case.

The waiter was not the best one I have ever had there. He was extremely forgetful and unaware. He did not even offer tea and coffee with dessert (particularly for the other people), we had to ask for it. I had to ask for fresh ground pepper twice.

We were served our soup and salads, and then as he was serving our entree, I asked about the seafood platter, and he asked me "Oh, the boys did not serve it?" Honestly, the table was so small and so stuffed, you would have had to have been blind to not notice that we did not have a giant seafood platter filled with empty shrimp tails and crab claws! But, nevertheless, he did not even notice it until I mentioned it, and then when it was finally served, he was like "Oh, surf and turf." Like that made it OK. It was also rushed, because they kept coming by to pick up our plates, even though we still had food on them, and even though the seafood platter was full.

I had the Chateaubriand, and it was just so-so. It was not very flavorful and it was not very tender. I have had it better there, and at other places.

I think the original idea was of it was a place where you could be served a luxurious, non-rushed dining experience. But, that has been done away with, and now, the experience is much like any other dinner house restaurant that you go to.

In April, the entire buffet was still in operation, and the service was excellent and not rushed. I had a different server, and I sat one table away from where I sat in December. I loved the buffet style because the kitchen would be more creative and it would be different items in the buffet and different soup, than the last time I had been. You also used to get Mickey pasta, but no more.

I am not sure what the new construction will bring for the food. But, if you are planning a trip to Disneyland and you know a member, you might want to try to get a reservation. I like to go for lunch best, but if you go to dinner, try to finish your dinner around the time of Fantasmic, and you should be able to sit out on the balcony and watch it. Whether you do that or not, you should at least step outside on the balcony for the view.

If you are a collector, they have a cabinet (hopefully it will still be there) of items that you can purchase, like polo shirts and shot glasses, etc.

• Visited December 2013