“Can't beat a new hotel!”

SpringHill Suites Anaheim Maingate
Ranked #15 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Can't beat a new hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Just checked out after staying 5 nights at the new Springhill Suites Anaheim Maingate. We had two connecting rooms for two adults and four children. We were meeting family here who also had two rooms, and our family members' comments about the hotel echoed ours. This hotel is trying very hard to keep guests happy, and it shows.

The hotel's design is modern and fresh, with more upscale accents than I would expect in this price range (such as mosaic tile inlays in the lobby floors). The housekeeping staff is commendable, keeping both rooms and common areas extremely clean (we constantly saw people mopping the lobby, elevators, etc). A big bouquet of lollipops available for kids at the front desk daily was a nice touch. The beds were extremely comfortable--appreciated the duvets/down comforters instead of bedspreads and all of the fluffy pillows. The rooms are very large and so are the bathrooms. Paul Mitchell bath products provided, which is once again a higher end touch for this hotel's price.

We have stayed in many all-suite hotels in the Disneyland area, and this one beat them all. Anaheim is notorious for extremely rundown, worn out rooms with a service attitude of "deal with it, we're right by Disneyland." This brand new hotel is a breath of fresh air in comparison. Any small issues we had were quickly addressed (sink not draining for instance). The manager Darryl and front desk employee Raneen (sorry if those are spelled incorrectly) went above and beyond for us on multiple occasions. Raneen conducted himself professionally like a manager so we were surprised he apparently isn't one!

The breakfast was good, not great (super thin bacon when they had it, sausage much better) but we were happy to fill up every morning before a long day in the parks. It did seem to get really busy shortly after opening--we always made sure to get down there before it officially opened since we needed a lot of seats.

In regards to location, we walked to and from Disneyland twice per day. It is just over a mile, so not all people would want to walk, but we preferred walking over using the ART bus with all its stops (took us about 20-25 minutes to walk pushing double strollers). It is a quiet tree lined street most of the way, then you get to the main gates by walking through Downtown Disney, which is fun and full of distractions (a more pleasant walk than what we have had from other hotels, such as walking down huge and busy streets like Katella).

All in all, everyone in our large party was happy and we all said we would stay here again. Keep up the good work, Springhill Suites staff!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with views of the Disneyland fireworks!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ScottsdaleIrish
Darrell B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Hello ScottsdaleIrish,

Thank you for sharing your review with us here on TripAdvisor and for choosing our hotel for your family’s recent vacation to Disneyland. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that the little extras like our Chupa Chup lollipops at check in and Paul Mitchell bath amenities provided unexpected surprises for you.
I know that Ranen, like the rest of my staff, takes great pride in providing exceptional guest service and in conducting himself in a professional manner that would befit any manager. From making sure that issues are resolved and followed up on, to keeping the hotel constantly clean, my team of future leaders and managers is here to serve.
We look forward to having you and your family back as guests next time you’re in the area!

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Hebrew first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Staying in a new hotel is great. Very pleased with the size of the room, we were 2 adults and 3 children. Staff and housekeeping were helpful and did a good job. Beds were comfortable.
Breakfast was good but if very crowded you need to get there early.
DEFINITLY TAKE THE SHUTTLE. Do not attempt to park.
Go to California Adventureland first kids loved it.

1 Thank Barbara S
Jason B, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Barbara S
Thank you for staying with us and posting your experience. I’m glad that our hotel met your needs. It is our goal to ensure a great stay including having enough room to move around. I agree that a good size hotel room can make all the difference, especially with three kids. I hope your travels will bring you back again soon.
Jason Bell
Front Office Manger
Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our family of 5 spent a week at this hotel in early May, 2014 while we visited Disneyland.

Pros: Housekeeping was meticulous and efficient (we requested a pack n' play, extra sheets, extra shampoo and things were delivered promptly). The rooms were very clean.
Pool area is nice, clean and well-stocked with towels.
The hotel is new so we appreciated the fresh appearance.
Front desk staff was helpful and courteous.
Rooms are a good size, the bathrooms are spacious and the room-divider and pull-out couch made our stay comfy for 2 adults and 3 children.
Our room had a mini fridge, microwave, and a small food storage area set off by the entrance to the room.
Beds were very comfortable.

Areas to Improve On:
There are only 2 drawers for clothes (but there is a large closet for hanging items and storing suitcases).
Some cold water available by the front door would be lovely (it was only available in the fitness center).
Coffee in the lobby was available at breakfast but it would be wonderful if it could be available later in the day as well.
We found the breakfast to be plentiful, and the eating area was clean, but there were times that it was very busy. There were lots of families who wanted to eat at the same time (to get to Disneyland opening) and this might present a constant challenge for this hotel. The staff present were working very hard, constantly on the move to clean and refresh items.

Overall, our stay here was enjoyable. We walked out the back doors, across the Holiday Inn parking lot, down the street and were in Downtown Disney in less than 15min. (main gate in 20min.). Some days we called a cab or car service and the cost was approximately $10 to take us to the main gate.

2 Thank ThePennerFamily
The Penner Family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad that our Springhill family was able to take care of your family. You mentioned our housekeepers in your post. I agree our housekeepers are top notch and do a great job. I’m glad that they made your stay enjoyable, including those that work the breakfast. I feel it is a race to the finish line some mornings, because everyone wants to get an early start in the parks. Thank you for being patient with us at those times. I hope the rest of your vacation was amazing, please come back and see us again soon.

Jason Bell
Front Office Manager
Poulsbo, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Hotel was very comfortable. The breakfast was good, but you need to arrive early. I arrived at 0630 one morning and enjoyed a nice selection of breakfast items. The next day I arrived around 0730 and the place was a disaster area; no coffee and not much to choose from. This is consistent with my other stays in the Disneyland area hotels. The Hotel is not far from the employee entrance and relatively close to the parking structure, it is about a 25 minute walk to the entrance to Disneyland or California Adventure, but there is the bus service that runs in the area.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Jack M.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I’m glad you liked our location and found our rooms very comfortable. I know after a long day at the parks it’s nice to be so close to a bed. In regards to the breakfast we do at times get a rush of guests coming to breakfast before they head out to the park. I apologize that this may have been the case for you. We strive to give our guests a great experience. If you are ever in the area again I hope you will stay with us.
Lodi, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I went down to see my great niece graduate from Chapman University & stayed at this hotel May 23-25, 2014. This hotel was just built & close to people we knew so I thought it was "perfect". WRONG. The day of graduation, I went to take a shower, no hot water. Called the front desk, spoke to Tyler & he told me that he was getting several complaints & they were working on the problem, he asked that I wait 15 minutes, I waited 20 minutes. No hot water. I had to call the front desk three times & finally got to speak to the manager, Jason Bell. Mr. Bell told me that they weren't sure when we'd get hot water. Remember, new hotel. The tap water was discolored so Mr. Bell kindly brought us bottled water to make coffee. Two hours later I decided I had to shower, we had a graduation that wasn't going to wait. Warm water at the best. After a long day of graduation ceremony, pictures, dinner, we returned to our room very late. I checked the water & it was warm but it took a long time to get there. I went to bed & went to turn on the light on the headboard to read, guess what, it didn't work. The next morning, shower time, warm water at the best again but it did heat up just about when I was done. Mr. Bell did adjust my bill but I did have to request more than he was willing to refund me. I know this isn't Tyler's fault nor Mr. Bell's but when you're paying good money for a nice room, that's what you expect to get. In this case I did not get what I was paying for.

Room Tip: My room was the first room near the free breakfast area so in the morning it was very noisy.
4 Thank tknjk01
Darrell B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Hello tknjk01,

Thank you for staying with us this weekend and for taking my phone call today to discuss the issues we had with our hot water over the holiday weekend. You are absolutely correct in that I would list the ability to take a hot shower in the category of minimum expectations I would have coming to a hotel and we were unable to provide that for you. As I explained during our conversation this morning, one of the mechanical components of our plumbing system failed over the weekend and made it impossible to deliver hot water from our boilers to all of our guest rooms, impacting a number of our guests. Due to the long holiday weekend, we were unable to obtain the proper parts we needed to resolve the issue until Tuesday morning despite our best efforts throughout the weekend.
I understand how incredibly frustrating this must have been to you and all of our other guests that were affected by the situation. I hope that since we have now gotten the problem resolved and we have had a chance to speak about it, that you will consider giving us another chance next time you’re in the area. Thank you again for staying with us, we’d love to have you back again.

Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I checked into this hotel on Friday and stayed until Tuesday morning, over Memorial Weekend. I expected the park, and ultimately the hotel, to be packed... It WAS Memorial weekend after all! When I checked in, it was confirmed. They told me that the hotel was full to capacity. I love the Marriott brand, but I know that different hotels handle that kind of capacity differently and was interested to see how the Springhill would do. They exceeded my expectations for any hotel, let alone one full to capacity with a handful of large school (teenagers!) groups! My room was always cleaned very, very well and it was obvious that the housekeeping staff took their time, cleaned it right and even went above and beyond! The little soaps and lotions were replaced every night and when they realized that we had five of us in the room, they left extras... without ever having to be asked. I tend to sleep late and play late, so I am usually faced with whatever's left as the breakfast buffet is closing, but I was pleasantly surprised at how clean the breakfast area was and how much food was still available when I rolled myself out of bed! The variety of breakfast food was good and I liked the hot items... biscuits and gravy, sausage patties or bacon and there were eggs every morning! Yum! Every single hotel employee that I encountered was amazing! Very friendly! Very helpful! As for the hotel itself, I was floored! I am incredibly spoiled and just a little snobby, when it comes to hotels. I'm a fancy hotel kinda gal, so I was skeptical about staying here, with the price being so low, but boy was I grounded with this one! The lobby was stunning and the rooms were breathtaking! Our suite was HUGE, with two Queen size beds, a walk in closet and a sitting area, with a fold out couch! All the gals kept raving over the decor and the beautiful sliding door to the bathroom! We even had a microwave and mini fridge and a desk! I have stayed many, many places in the Disneyland area (I travel down to Disneyland about 3 times a year!), and I can say, without a doubt, I will stay at the Springhill again I will anxiously await the stay!

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank MyLoveofBeauty
Hello MyLoveofBeauty,

Thank you for staying with us over the weekend and for posting this incredible review of our hotel! I love hearing that my staff is able to pick up on cues like recognizing extra people in the room and anticipate the need for extra soaps and lotions without having to be asked, and that everyone was friendly throughout your stay.
I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast in the morning and that our spacious new suites provided everything you needed during your trip. I hope that we’ll be seeing you again on your next trip to Disneyland this year, we’ll be anxiously awaiting your return!

American Fork, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is a beautiful brand new hotel. There are many nice things about this hotel. We enjoyed 5 out of the 6 days we spent here. It is to bad that the last day was awful. On our last night at the hotel we noticed that the hotel was going to be filled to capacity. 3 tour buses showed up caring teenagers. The next morning we went down for breakfast and it was a mess. There was very little food left and what was there was everywhere. It honestly looked like an explosion on the counters, tables and floors. After waiting for sometime to see if more food would be brought out or if things would be cleaned up a little, nothing happened. I went to the front desk to ask if they could help. He said he would check it out. While standing and waiting with several other families, he returned and said sorry breakfast is over. Guests were furious and had every right to be. They had patiently waited while the massive group of teenagers had attacked the food area and devoured everything. If you book the hotel with this many teenagers, you better have enough food. I was later told they were not expecting them. Well, that night they came in the manager should have been out buying more food and making proper preparations. Most of us decided to go else where for breakfast, but guess what we could not leave. The 3 tour buses where blocking all the cars in. I asked to speak to a manager, guess what he was in a meeting. If your hotel is falling apart, you might want to leave the meeting and see what you can do to help your guests (especially the ones who had paid to stay the whole week, not just the teenagers who spent one night). Bottom line, this hotel does an excellent job as long as they are not full. Next time we will head back to the Residence Inn in Garden Grove.

2 Thank Andrea C
Darrell B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Andrea C,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent weeklong visit to Anaheim. While I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed the majority of your stay with us, I’m sorry that your experience at breakfast on the final day left you with such a negative lasting impression of our hotel. Whenever we have groups of this size at the hotel we always try to schedule them to come through the buffet line in smaller groups than all at once to avoid this type of scenario. I apologize that the execution of the scheduling failed in this instance and created such a negative experience for you and our other guests, and that I was unavailable to discuss it with you that morning.
Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss this matter further, or if I can be of further assistance to you. We’d love the opportunity ti have you come back and stay with us again in the future.

darrellb@dknhotels.com