“Great new hotel”

Ranked #16 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Richmond Hill, Ontario
“Great new hotel”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I booked our family vacation very late. We usually stay at the Grand Californian Disney property when staying in Anaheim but it was booked solid. I rented two rooms for my family 1) Single King with a sofa Pull Out (2) Double Queen Room with a sofa pull out and walk in closet. Each of the rooms had a small un-stocked fridge and microwave. I have two teenagers; one girl and one boy in addition to a 10 year old young girl. We slept Mom and the girls in the double Queen Room and my son and I stayed in the Single King with sofa pullout.

The hotel is located fairly close to Disney. It is walkable but it would probably take you close to 30 minutes to do so. We ended up using the ART bus (http://www.rideart.org/) which comes to the hotel every 20 minutes. The buses are clean and only has one stop off before going directly to the parl. The hotel is on bus route #11 and I recommend this service if you are looking to use alternatives to your car, walking or cab. There is not much in the area by way of restaurants within reasonable walking distance. You will need a car or a cab to get to other areas of Anaheim.

The main floor is very nicely appointed with various tv screens showing sporting event or news. Lots of comfortable couches and seating areas to hang out in. The design is contemporary open concept. The main floor has a breakfast buffet area, a seating/loung area and of course the front desk. To the right of the dest is an area to pick up snacks, drinks or microwavable meals. It can come in handy but it is not cheap. Self parking is available and it is $14/night.

This is a fairly new hotel that opened in February 2014. Everything looks like new and is clean. Our room was modern and in pristine condition. The rooms are decently sized each with separate living areas from the sleeping areas. The two living areas are not separated by walls/doors and are not fully private from one another. There is a desk with some frosted glass in front of it which is what the designers used to separate the two living spaces. This is important to note if you are expecting full privacy from the person sleeping on the pull out sofa - you will not have full privacy.

Service was very friendly and helpful. Front desk staff was great in getting us checked in fast. There is no concierge or bell men in this class of hotel. The cleaning staff did their jobs well and our rooms were cleaned to acceptable standards each day. We did take one early morning to go to Disney and came back at about 1:30pm and our room was not cleaned. They did eventually come to clean the room but we had to leave in order for them to do so. If you plan to leave early and come back to the hotel for a nap...etc... then just put a request into the hotel to get your room cleaned early. The hotel has a decent fitness area and a small but refreshing outdoor pool.

The pool is only 3 to 4 feet deep so you can't really safely dive in it but it is good enough for laps, a refreshing dip and a good non park activity to keep the kids occupied. Free breakfeast was served each morning which usually consisted of DIY fresh waffles, eggs, sausages, toast, bagels, english muffins, muffins, various cereal options, fresh cooked oatmeal, juice, milk, coffee and tea. On busy days you need to get down there by at least 9:15AM to ensure you get a choice of the available food. Popular foods like eggs and sausage patties will run out before the 10 AM cut off.

There is a nice patio area at the front of the hotel which is right in front of the breakfast buffet area. At night there is a very nice outdoor patio fireplace that they light up. It can be a nice place to hang out if you are looking for somewhere to kick back and relax other than your room. A lot of families who were travelling with friends and/or other family members would end up here in the evening.

The bathrooms are well appointed, modern and clean. I liked the layout. In the king room we did not have a bathtub which was fine for us, as neither my son or I take baths. The Dbl Queen room however did have a bathtub. As with most of the newer hotel showers water pressure is dismal which seems to be pretty par for course these days. Our bathroom had a proper ventilation fan which is a big plus in keeping bathroom odors out of the rest of the room and reducing steam build up while taking showers. It's a small but relevant detail.

My one major pet peeve with the room which has also been noted by other reviewers is how the sliding bathroom door is not solid and has a pane of frosted glass in it. At night if anyone goes to the washroom while you are sleeping and flips on a light it invariably wakes up the person sleeping in front of the bathroom door as the light spills into the main sleeping area. This could easily be fixed by the hotel and was a design oversight in my opinion.

In the next year or so I will not be able to book this hotel within a week of peek period. I got lucky because this is a new hotel that not a lot of people know about yet. I can see this hotel being a top hotel in the area and will probably be a lot more popular in the coming years.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any rooms where the washroom door is solid as opposed to frosted glass
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
15 Thank TrueNorthRob
Darrell B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Hello TrueNorthRob,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Disneyland, we’re glad we had the opportunity to have you and your family as our guests! Thank you also for posting such an amazingly thorough review of my hotel, I appreciate the time you took to do so and I know my future guests appreciate your tips and for sharing your experience.
It’s nice to hear that you enjoyed the contemporary design of our lobby and the hotel amenities such as the complimentary breakfast and our fitness room. I’m particularly happy to hear that you enjoyed the staff service and that housekeeping is doing a good job keeping the hotel clean and looking new!
I hope that you don’t wait too long before booking your family vacation for next year, we’d love to have you come back and stay with us again. If I can be of any assistance in the future please don’t hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you again for staying with us!

Darrell Buettner
(714) 215-4000

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights 2 weeks ago. We didn't get to explore the grounds too much but they looked nice. We asked for a room that had a view of the fireworks and after initially getting a room right above the hotel entrance (which was nice) we were moved to a view room. The room was great and spacious. The breakfast was pretty good although when busy the location/flow of the waffle bar is ill-suited. Our stay overall was great.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sean M
Javier U, Front Desk Supervisor at SpringHill Suites Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Good evening Sean M, thank you for taking the time to review us after your stay. Due to our location a wing of our rooms does have a spectacular view each night of Disney’s fireworks show. While these rooms are limited, we also do have rooms with a beautiful view of our pool and spa area that is perfect for parents who need to keep an eye on their kids. We hope next time you come visit you get a chance to truly enjoy our grounds!

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this Marriott property for three days while my teenagers went to VidCon at the Anaheim Convention Center. Perfect location for everything in Anaheim such as the Convention Center, Disney, Angels baseball, lots of restaurants, and easy access to major roadways.

Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful.

Workout room was adequate, pool was good.

Breakfast buffet was acceptable; worst thing I can say is that their eggs were bad (obviously powdered).

Otherwise, an excellent Marriott, and I stay in Marriotts all over the country.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank xylograph
Javier U, Front Desk Supervisor at SpringHill Suites Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Hello xylograph, thank you for your recent stay with us and we hope your teenagers enjoyed the Vidcon convention as much as I did! As you say, we are near the 5 Interstate to get you where you need to go as well as being in a convenient location for whatever may bring you to the Anaheim area. We do hope to see you again next time you’re in the area.

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I brought about 30 students here for an overnight conference and it was great. Hotel staff was amazing. Rooms are spacious and very clean. Breakfast was really good too. They have an outdoors patio with fire pits. We didn't swim in the pool but it looked nice from our hotel view. If you want something a little sweet, they have complimentary lollipops. It's close to Disneyland and not too far from the Angels stadium buts it's still a little drive.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Don S
Jason B, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Hello Don S.
Thank you for visiting us in Anaheim and posting your kind words about your stay. We surely enjoyed having your group here. I agree that the fire pit and an endless supply of sugar is a great way to spend a vacation. I hope we see you again soon.
Jason
Garland, Texas
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My husband and I went to Anaheim to see a baseball game and visit Disneyland. We were very impressed with the extremely helpful staff, especially Tyler and Ranin. They helped us get a taxi to the ballpark and tickets to Disneyland for the next couple of days. I never saw Tyler without a big smile on his face and he even remembered our names when we saw him the next day!The hotel is new, very clean and an easy walk to and from the park.The only criticism I have about the room is that our air conditioner was a bit noisy for this light sleeper.
This hotel is on the Arts bus route which can come in handy after a long day of fun at Disneyland. A tip for guests going to Disney... although there are lots of tables, get down to the free breakfast as soon as possible if you are trying to get to the park early. Lots of groups stay here and the line is not very orderly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Susan S
Javier U, Front Desk Supervisor at SpringHill Suites Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Hello Susan S, I want to thank you for staying with us and hope the team you were rooting for won! It’s a short ride to the Angel stadium during Baseball season and you need a break from Disney. There are numerous ways to get there, from driving yourself, to a taxi, and to the Art Shuttle as well. I’ll be sure to pass along your wonderful comments to our staff as I’m sure Ranen and Tyler will be glad to know they made your stay even better. We hope to see you again next time you’re here rooting on your team or simply visiting Disney.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We were fortunate stay within the first three weeks the hotel was open. As expected with a new hotel, the facilities were in great shape. The staff was very helpful and always willing to answer questions. As far as location, this place is awesome. A short 10-15 minute walk to the Disney trams and your are quickly transported to the Disney parks and Downtown Disney. I would highly recommend for families. The room was plenty big for our family of five.

I will definitely return to this hotel if we return to the west coast to visit Mickey and friends.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jeff W
Hello, Jeff W I want to thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. Being a new property we do strive to keep the hotel in top shape for years to come and we appreciate you noticing our effort. I agree that the location is quite ideal due to the short walk to Downtown and we definitely look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Our basketball team just stayed here in June and everything was great. The rooms and hotel was clean. The service was great everyone was very nice and all 12 Families were treated well. The boys enjoyed the breakfast and the location is perfect for those going to Disneyland. Carrie Alen helped us with our group booking and she was great to work with. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank 025ray
Javier U, Front Desk Supervisor at SpringHill Suites Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Hello 025Ray, thank you for your review and choosing us for your team’s stay. Let me be the first to say the entire team was a pleasure to have; we strive to provide excellent service to all of our guests. I agree that our Sales Manager Carrie is great to work with whenever you have a group visiting the area as she makes the stay a breeze. Whenever you are back in the area, whether it’s with the team or simply on your own for vacation, please don’t hesitate to give us a call, we’d love to have you back.