“Don't judge how the outside looks....what lies beneath is more important!”
Review of Hotel Pepper Tree

Hotel Pepper Tree
Ranked #27 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
“Don't judge how the outside looks....what lies beneath is more important!”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Yeah for sure this hotel is not a 5-star hotel. But for the price, you can't go wrong, knowing that around Disneyland, hotel prices are way too overpriced!
The front desk is extremely polite, helpful and kind.
The room is clean and spacious.
It is within 3 miles to Disneyland. Accessible to everything.
I will definitely stay here again when I'm in town :-)

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank leuz_velarde

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Hotel is located in shady part of town. Exterior and interior needs updating. Service is ok. Room is spacious but old, dingy, and falling apart. Bed was lumpy and TV had poor reception. Room had awkward layout and overlooked run down apartment parking lot. Complimentary breakfast served at restaurant next door was so poor - even my children wouldn't eat it. Only saving grace was this hotel was cheap, but so was everything else about the stay. If you are looking for a comfortable stay for Disneyland, this is NOT the place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Mark4464, Owner at Hotel Pepper Tree, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you were generally disappointed in Anaheim and that our hotel was not a good fit for you. Boutique Spanish Style hotel is not for everyone but most of our guests do seem to appreciate the larger size of our rooms with full kitchen facilities. All rooms had new beds in 2013 ,flat screen TVs were just fitted in July and our TV channel lineup is great! We will, however, check into the reception in your particular room. We do offer a “ Fee light continental breakfast” with affordable full menu upgrades.
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I am rating this property as "Good", nearly "Very Good" because it met all my requirements and I was satisfied with my stay. I have stayed at Motel 6s, all the way up to 5 star Ritz-Carlton properties. I am a Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) lifetime Gold member. When you add it up, I have a broad perspective on hotels and rooms.

For this trip, I had very specific requirements for six nights with my tween and teen children. I was looking for:

1. Kitchen with full fridge/freezer, a stove and microwave
2. Two queen beds
3. Swimming Pool
4. Less than 15 minutes to Disney's parking structure
5. Free parking, Internet, continental breakfast
6. Around $100 per night (taxes and fees all-in)

The Building & Surrounding Area:
The hotel looks like it was formerly an apartment that was converted to a hotel. Sound insulation is poor, so if you are a light sleeper and have noisy neighbors, you will hear everything. I did not notice this until the last night when I could hear the guests above us rolling their luggage across their tile floor (wide grout lines and heavy luggage = loud thuds). Our 2nd floor room overlooked the pool which we noticed was meticulously cleaned every morning. There is a Vallarta Supermarket across the street which had some great ready to eat Mexican food to go. Target and Walmart are with a 15 minute drive. I clocked the drive to the Disney Parking structure and "door to door" it was 15 minutes (you need to stay off the highways and take the side streets...the front desk give you a map that tells you how).

Staff:
The front desk staff are very friendly and helpful. They probably deserve a raise. Marcella checked us in and is as good as any SPG staff at a Westin's or Sheraton property. Angel checked us out and he was very helpful in recommending routes to LAX to avoid the heavy traffic on the I-5. The front desk is staffed 24x7 and always gave a friendly acknowledging wave when we came trudging in after a long day of "theme parking". The house cleaning staff was friendly.

The Room:
The owner uses the handle Mark4464 and has replied many times on TripAdvisor, he calls this a 3 star property, its probably closer to a 2.0 or 2.5. I think a lot of reviewers confuse dirty with run-down. My spacious room was about mid way down one of the wings on the 2nd floor, and it was mostly clean. That is, no greasy surfaces in the kitchen, no hair or grime in the bathroom, the bedding and towels were clean. However, the cutlery, plates and bowls needed a washing. Fortunately, a small container of dish detergent, a fresh sponge and paper towels were provided, but our room was run down. The blankets had holes, the shower curtain was frayed, and the phone was barely attached to the wall. The kitchen knives were dull (it was a struggle to safely cut a watermelon!) and the oven needed cleaning (note: the oven is gas powered and requires a match to light the pilot if its not already lit, the elements had a standing pilot light). The microwave was old and used rotary knobs to set the time and power level (i.e. not digital). The air conditioner was adequate but noisy. Our room had a newer LCD flat screen TV with HDMI and component video inputs and the front desk had a limited number of DVD players to borrow, or you could connect your own video player. I had no problem with Internet and had 3 devices wifi connected in the mornings and evenings. There were no luggage racks.

Other:
Its nice to have free parking since you're paying $16 or $17 per day at the theme parks. The included continental breakfast consisted of cold cereal, instant oatmeal, muffins, doughnuts and some fresh fruit. And now for something completely different, we found an ant in one of the beds and another in the bathroom, for me, it was no big deal...heck, I've found bugs in a 5 star resort in Cancun, but my kids wanted me to point this out.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LoveTheFoods
Mark4464, Owner at Hotel Pepper Tree, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for taking your time to review our Hotel. We are happy that such an experienced traveler as yourself had a good experience staying with us . Our front desk staff are also appreciative of your positive feedback! We are usually on top of our room linens and kitchen inventories but will take a closer look at your room. We usually inspect every room closely after each high occupancy season for this very reason. We look forward to seeing you again.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The size of the roomsis very good and having a full kitchen is handy as well, however room services just does the beds and not the kitchenette. We were atying in a wing away from the central entry and the internet was very flaky...manager advises they are trying to update, but it seemed to afflict rooms at the ends of both wings. Beds comfy, a veranday light stays on all night and can't be turned off, thanks for the heavy curtains, which block the fresh air however.

Bathroom dated. In all - average, but a nice arabic restaurant on-site.

Room Tip: Try and get closer to the central entry.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SteveS14
Mark4464, Owner at Hotel Pepper Tree, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you Steve for your review . We are happy that you liked our rooms and the comfort of our beds. Our recent upgrades to our internet service have made it extremely fast and reliable. We did however find a local issue in your room area and have had that fixed. Most of our guests prefer to use their own transportation as we are conveniently located within 5-10 minutes of all of Anaheim’s major attractions
Riverside, California
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Now I stayed there with my wife for a few days to kind of change things around. I guess they are fixing the place up from the previous owners. Now when I got to my room it seemed cozy then I sat on the bed and the comforter smell was bad the sheets also smelled like rotten water. I wanted to throw up. Now I went to the bathroom and washed my face and the towels also had a bad rotten smell on them. I went up to the front desk were a young man tried to help me but said that house keeping was gone and they were booked and there was nothing he could do. Just a bad taste in my mouth. I just think that is not worth the rate on any room they have. I do travel a lot and I think MOTEL 6 has better smelling towel then Hotel Pepper Tree. Not even one star to me but I have to give one at least.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John S
Mark4464, Owner at Hotel Pepper Tree, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We usually receive great comments about the cleanliness of our rooms and our customer service. The hotel has been under the same ownership for the past 10 years and the quality of our linens are monitored daily and replaced on a regular basis. We have investigated your comments and haven't been able to identify your stay. We would appreciate if you contact us so we can investigate further.
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel staff made our stay a wonderful experience. They accommodated us in every possible way. The rooms and facility were clean and the pillows were yummy! We had problems with our reservations (no fault of theirs) through Diamond Resorts and management brought down our stress level by assisting us to solve the problem. Thank you so much!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 4 August 2014

What puzzles me most is the number of positive reviews for this property on different travel sites. Have those people ever stayed in a proper hotel before? While nothing bad happened during my stay, it’s hard to find anything positive to write about.
It is advertised as a boutique hotel, but I can assure you there is nothing boutique to it and very little hotel too. Looks like a cheapo two story apartment block with reception. Stayed in what is described as King Suite, which looks like a studio apartment with one king bed, broken spare bed and kitchenette. A/C was window unit, way too noisy on a hot night. Whole place has a filthy appeal, covered with sticky grime. Blankets were full of holes.

Free breakfast was quite amusing, cereals being the only edible thing. The rest are frozen donuts and pastry and Tang dubbing as an orange juice.
I guess if you’re want self-catering place and don’t mind dirt and staying in the ghetto, you should be ok, otherwise I suggest spending few extra $. At $130 a night it’s not much, but the value is actually less.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank FoodEliminator
Mark4464, Owner at Hotel Pepper Tree, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your review. Most of our guests are very satisfied with the boutique feel and standard of our accommodations. Our attention to detail when it comes to housekeeping and the comfort of our beds is well reviewed .We are sorry that we were not a good fit for your expectations but we are only a 3 star hotel.