“Horrible experience” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Illinois
“Horrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2007

We had a horrible experience - they cleaned our room the second day and lost our kids little pillows that they sleep with. We mentioned that morning on the way to breakfast and they said they would ask housekeeping if they saw them or if they got caught up in the laundry. By 6pm they still hadn't looked. We went to dinner that night and at 9pm I asked again - that guy actually took the time away from the front desk to search the laundry room, the maids carts and the lost and found. Then he even searched the storage rooms on the other floors. He was the only one who attempted to help us find them. Needless to say after all that - we still have no pillows or any contact from the hotel. I loved the room with the kitchen in it but next time I will find another hotel with better management. The continental breakfast wasn't much either. Other hotels that were the same price at least gave you meat or hard boiled eggs with the cereal, toast and muffins. A couple of days we even ordered a regular breakfast. Hope you really look into this hotel before you stay here.

• Liked — close to theme parks
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
9 Thank mkkcstoub

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2007

We just returned from a 4-night stay at the Hotel Pepper Tree and we really enjoyed it. Everyone we met was very friendly, the
prices were great and the accomodations were very nice. I especially loved the lobby area and stairways. Our granddaughter (4 yrs) loved the fish in the small elevated pools outside the lobby! The room was very comfortable, clean and practical, as well as attractive. The kitchenette made eating in very easy. And it was convenient to DisneyLand, the purpose of our trip. Also, we enjoyed dinner at Azteca when we arrived Friday night - the people were friendly and pleasant, the prices were excellent and so was the food. We are from Phoenix so we are familiar with Mexican food and I can honestly say it was some of the best I've had. Our granddaughter was impressed by the little drink umbrella the server put in her milk glass and actually kept it and took it home with her. Hotel Pepper Tree was an important part of making our impromptu long weekend at DisneyLand possible and pleasant.

• Liked — Comfortable, large room with kitchenette for convenience
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank AZRainbow
Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2007

Anaheim Ca.: The Hotel Pepper Tree in Anaheim Ca. "Not so clean"!. Rented two rooms, Dec. 26 thru Dec. 29, 2006. for our annual Christmas trip with six grandkids. The reason behind selecting the Pepper Tree was because it has kitchenettes in each room which is a plus with so many kids of all ages.

First day out, we returned to one of the rooms not receiving any housekeeping services at all. Nothing was cleaned, the beds were not made, trash cans not emptied and the towels were not replaced. When bringing this matter to the attention of the desk clerk, a quick check of their cleaning list indicated that the room had been cleaned. The clerk assured me that the towels would be replaced within the next 10 min. or so. It was 55 min. before the towels were replaced. For this mishap, we were given a small bag of Ghiraardelli chocolates and a $10.00 credit to a restaurant they are somehow affiliated with that has the worst service and food I have seen in ages. We had earlier experienced the restraunt and therefore, did not use the $10.00 credit

Second day out, we returned to rooms that had not been vacuumed, counter tops and stove tops were dirty, dishes still in sink, coffee pot not cleaned, bathrooms not cleaned. When I approached the desk clerk about this situation, I was told that they only vacuum floors after each check out, but the stove, counters, dishes and bathrooms should have been cleaned.

Third day out, we returned to rooms in the exact same condition as the second day out.

I have traveled around the world and from coast to coast North and South and this is without a doubt the most unclean Hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Liked — Old Spanish De'cor
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — If you don't mind dirty conditions, enjoy!
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
7 Thank Timeseeker
Mark4464, Owner at Hotel Pepper Tree, responded to this review, 17 January 2007
Thank you for your comments, We take housekeeping issues very seriously and in fact usually receive positive comments about the cleanliness of the hotel. I have investigated your housekeeping issue and confirm that we did have a problem with the scheduling of your room during this busy period. I will be reviewing the scheduling system with our staff to ensure that we do not encounter the problem again. We provide convenient kitchens in all of our rooms but do not wash guests dishes as part of daily service. I will make sure that our front desk associates make a point of explaining this to future guests on check in.
I would be more than happy for you to call me direct at the hotel if you would like to discuss your experience further.

Mark Talbot
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Pepper Tree for a week in November. The decision was based on the reviews on this web site. After a slight delay getting from the airport with an over confident shuttle driver being dismissive about my original query as to whether he knew where the hotel was located, we arrived on a warm afternoon into this quite nice, small hotel where people are friendly and helpful, and the standard of accomodation was, I believe, very good value. Comfortable beds, a couch, table and chairs, kitchenette with full size cooking facilities and fridge. The bathroom was small but quite adequate. The desk staff were more then helpful and this place maintains an intimacy that is sometimes lacking in the larger establishments. We had a street facing studio on the third floor facing the main street, at first I thought the traffic might be a noise problem, but it wasn't as it was reasonable quiet at night, certainly didn't cause any loss of sleep. The Hotel makes it clear that any undue noise from Hotel Patrons should cease around 10.00pm. Sure you are not going to be overwhelmed by bellhops wanting to carry your bags as there are none that I could see, neither did I find them necessary, it was nice that the desk staff offered to help with the bags, it was nice when they gave us stamps to save us going to the post office, and it was nice that they made us feel welcomed!
We stayed there for Disneyland, we hired a car from Hertz, Hertz were good they came and picked us up from the Hotel so we could collect the car. By car Disneyland was about 7 minutes drive. I think a car would be a good idea if you choose to stay at this Hotel. I would most certainly choose to stay at this Hotel again.
Peter & Viviane
Melbourne
Australia

• Liked — Intimacy and welcoming attitude of the staff, value.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Woonah
Fort Collins, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2006

We booked a suite of rooms. We had two adjoining rooms, side-by-side - rooms 202 and 203 to be exact. One had a small but functional kitchen, the other room didn't. The main area of each of the two rooms was very large. It was tastefully decorated in a sort of Spanish colonial style with big tiles on the floor and big blocky pieces of wood - the rooms looked nice, but there was a strange sort of decor to our room which generally looked nice.

The hotel itself is pleasant inside and in the entry way, with large Spanish tile, and an odd collection of fountains out front which looked like tall ornate horsetroughs but were filed with goldfish. The gardener seems to be talented because the bushes were blooming and there were flowers everywhere (in Nov.), the grounds - such as they are... the parking lot dominates and beyond that a major street - were very nice.

The swimming pool was on the smallish side and rapidly dropped from 3 feet to 8 feet just past half-way. It had two cute turtles on one side spitting water into the pool which our children thought was wonderful. The pool was very warm - I was thoroughly impressed with the pool temperature. It was a somewhat chilly 65F outside, but the pool was very comfortable.

The beds were very comfortable. Both my wife and I are a bit picky about hotel beds but we slept well. We were facing Lincoln Ave (the main street), there was a bit of road noise (and an unusually high number of car alarms that went off) but not enough to keep us awake - or wake us in the morning.

The continental breakfast is spartan - small bagels, cream cheese, toast, muffins, cereal, yogurt, coffee, tea, milk, apple juice, and orange juice and that was about it. You can supplement this limited choice by ordering from a reasonably priced menu (In Nov, 2006, $2.29 for a stack of pancakes, $2.99 for French toast). The staff at the restaurant were generally friendly - and gave our daughters two helium balloons which were a huge hit.

People complaining that it's a bit of a drive to the parks are definitely correct - although giving a single star to the hotel based on location seems a bit over-the-top on the negative side. It's not too far to Knotts Berry Farm - within walking distance if you are keen on walking and don't mind a solid 30 minute brisk walk (but it's LA and no one walks anywhere). It's a good long two exits on the freeway to Disneyland and the resort there.

There was a Ralphs (large chain box food store) and a Savon (large chain box drug store) directly across the street as well as a video store and a several other stores - it was very nice to be able to walk across to pick up things.

We made dinner one night in the room and the gas stove and oven worked very well. The cleaning service seemed to only do the dishes if they were placed in the sink (works for me...).

Overall we enjoyed our stay. The staff were always super friendly - the manager, Rick (Rich?) - was almost over-the-top nice and the rest of the staff always had a smile and a wave (and occassionally a bit of candy for the kids). The rooms were huge - enough that our children played hide-and-go-seek and actually had problems finding each other. The hotel looked clean, the pool is very warm, the beds were comfortable. We enjoyed our stay and definitely preferred it to the overpriced cookie-cutter box rooms that were closer to Disneyland. I would definitely stay at the Pepper Tree again.

• Liked — Large rooms
  • Disliked — Location
  • Tips/Secrets — Even if the weather is cold, the pool might be worth trying.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
6 Thank pmahoney
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2006

The Peppertree is a great little hotel that is in a quaint neighborhood near the famous Keno's Family Restaurant and a short drive away from Disneyland. We stayed in a Queen room, which featured a comfortable lounge area, full service kitchen and adorable private patio with fountain. The decor had a Southwest flavor and we found it to be charming and homey. The hotel was clean, quiet and the staff were very helpful. I can't recommend it enough to those looking to stay away from the noisy family crowds and seeking a great place to unwind after a long day at the various Anaheim attractions. I would definitely return to this hotel anytime!

• Liked — The quiet and homelike atmosphere
  • Disliked — The location may not be for everyone, but I personally enjoyed it.
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Miss_Pretty
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2006

I was expecting a spectacular hotel looking at the pictures and reading some reviews...when I got there I was kind of disappointed. It is bascially an old dumpy motel that has been really fixed up nice. They did a great job fixing it up....but I just had high expectations. I could'nt believe it had been rated so high. The service was great and it was clean. It is NOT close to Disneyland. Yes, you can drive there but it would take you a while. Also, it is not located in the classy area surrounding Disneyland. It is in your regular ghetto-ish Anaheim. You would know what I mean if you have been to Anaheim and have ventured outside of the Disneyland Area. Anaheim looks pretty rough in most places and this hotel is located in one of those areas.

• Liked — Nice Front Desk People
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled with family