“Worst Stay ever!”

Ranked #29 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Bellingham, Washington
“Worst Stay ever!”
Reviewed 23 August 2007

Upon entering Hotel Pepper Tree we were appaled at the location. The area of the town was low class and I would not go out after 8 pm. We were welcomed and put in a room that had a strong smell of gas. We called front desk and after a little bit of arguing we recieved another room. They later called back and apologized for the inconvinience and said that they were lucky we found the smell because the oven had been left on! As we tryed going to sleep we were appaled that they left the hallway music blaring all throughout the night. The next morning I complained and it was shut off for only one of the 5 nights we stayed there. The next day after a long trip to disneyland we came home to an uncleaned room. After I called, they told me "to keep our rates low we only clean our rooms once a week." This was simply absurd and I went on to tell them no one had mentioned this when we had reserved the room. The concierge lady told me to keep my voice low and that I seemed upset ...this came to me as a shock because instead of apologizing for the inconvience she was critizing my temperment! At aproximately 3 o clock in the morning a letter was slippe under our door apologizing for not cleaning our room. Not to mention we had been left without toilet tissue or towels for the next day! The only plus to this hotel was that the beds were comfy and there was a fridge. Also the morning concierge person was quite nice unlike the lady at night!

• Liked — Kitchen was helpfull
  • Disliked — Rude night staff and unclean rooms
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Crawley
Reviewed 17 August 2007

We have just return from a 14 night stay in California and we stayed at the Pepper Tree. The hotel and rooms all have a mexican feel and it makes a great atmosphere. The rooms were very large, we had two queen size beds, nice balcony over looking the pool, kitchen with a large fridge which can come in handy if you are travelling with kids, microwave,toaster,oven etc, plenty of wardrobe space and tv.
The staff there are lovely,( Manny especially), they were always very helpful printing us off maps/directions of where we wanted to go, giving us local info and always smiling.
Room service was amazing, and as per some other reviews which we read before visiting the Pepper Tree there were no quirks and we are quite capable of doing our own washing up!!!
This hotel is close to Disney- about 10 mins in the car. We used this hotel as a base to travel all over and it worked for us.
We travelled as a family of 4 , 2 adults and 2 children aged 8 and 6 and I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Liked — Big rooms, kitchen, the most helpful staff
  • Disliked — we had no dislikes
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank PKC2006
Havasu
Reviewed 22 July 2007

We needed a hotel for our trip to Disneyland. I wanted to have some spending money for souvenirs, ect.
We decided to stay at Hotel Pepper Tree because of the room price and not too bad reviews. My husband and I were impressed with the ample room and nice decor. The rooms were clean and the service we recieved was above average. The free continental breakfast served at the Azteca restaurant was very good. Fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, muffins, toast, donuts, danishes, coffee, tea, milk, apple and orange juice. (A nice variety of free foods) My husband and I had the breakfast special which was offered for $3.99. (pancakes, 2eggs, 2sausage and 2 bacon strips). The Ralphs supermarket across the street is very convienent to stock the fridge.
Finding our way to Disneyland was very easy and quick. Good luck in finding a better deal! We will stay at Hotel Pepper Tree again.

4 Thank Applebit
Virginia
Reviewed 17 July 2007

We stayed here 2 nights while visiting Disney. We really wished we had arrived a night sooner ! I think the website shows the hotel very fairly.....infact, I expected a smaller space for the 2 room suite. We were thrilled with the size !!! The kids could have the room with the kitchen....we just took the coffee pot to our side for the morning ! Lovely balcony with flowering vines. Very short, easy drive to Disneyland. We were in Californina for 10 days, our last 2 nights were spent here, The PepperTree was our best value and most comfortable stay !
Thank you !

3 Thank vindemure
Springfield, MO
Reviewed 14 July 2007

This is a great place to stay for families with children. It's not the fanciest, nor the most luxurious, but it is clean and it sure has a lot of room.

I have a family of 5, and my wife demanded that we stay in a suite where the children could have their own room for our CA vacation. That cuts down dramatically on selection and good deals available. That said, I really felt like this one was worth the effort of my searching.

When we first arrived, we were so amazed at how much room there was that we thought they had made a mistake by giving us two rooms. Actually, the suite is made up of two adjoining hotel rooms, each with their own bathroom, kitchen, tv, etc. Our room had a comfortable king bed, and the kid's room had a twin with a futon (kid's room sleeps 3 total if you fold out the futon).

The hotel has a Mexican theme, as do many in this area. The neighborhood is nice enough (we hate staying in scary neighborhoods) with a Ralph's grocery story across the road. It is located within 10 minutes of Disney, and we were able to get there pretty efficiently even during rush hour (use the carpool lane!!!).

The rooms were clean, though not fancy, and as I mentioned earlier, very large. You almost feel like you are staying in an apartment.

The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast at the property restaurant, and it is a nice one. We ate there each morning. They offer a nice variety of fruit, cereal, yogurt, big muffins, donuts, toast, and the like. It's nice because you can actually go sit down in the restaurant to eat it as opposed to most complimentary breakfasts being held in a lobby area. If you want, you can order a discounted breakfast from the complimentary breakfast side as well. We also ate at the restaurant the first night of our arrival, and we had good service and food (Mexican theme).

There were a few cons to the hotel, so I thought to list them:
1. Quirky Stuff. Showers go hot and cold (I hate that).
2. No clocks, but who needs them with our modern age of cell phones, laptops, etc.
3. Futon was quirky and difficult to unfold. I had to ask the front desk for help. He and I worked on it together, and after a call to his manager, we were able to figure it out.
4. There are two showers (one for each room), and the kid's shower was spitting water out the side. We arrived late, so we just couldn't use it the first night. Maintenance came up and fixed it the next day.
5. Internet WiFi is consistent (you have to get a username and password from the front desk), but often slow because of poor reception. Sometimes I got great reception, then sometimes very low, and I never did figure out why.
6. Housekeeping did a great job each day, but they don't do your dishes for you. It took us a few days to figure out there was dish washing soap under the kid's kitchen sink, but no sponge or other obvious washing rag. What's with that?

The good news about all the cons was that the hotel staff were great, friendly, and always went to bat for me with any problems. They even printed out my Southwest Airline boarding passes for me using their front desk computer (they have a public computer in the lobby, but you can't print from it.)

All in all, would we stay here again if we came to Anaheim??? The wife says yes.

• Liked — Space, space, space and lots of it. 2 full kitchens in 2 full rooms with 2 tvs. Good service.
  • Disliked — Quirkiness of some stuff.
4 Thank bcdavis
Adelaide
Reviewed 17 June 2007

Our main reason for staying in Anaheim was Disneyland. We stayed in this hotel as it was a fair bit cheaper then hotels closer to the park. We used the public buses to get to the park which tended to take about 30 minutes each way. This worked out ok but it would have been easier with a car. The room was a nice size and the kitchen area was very convienient. The people cleaning the rooms did a good job and one day they even did some dishes for me I left in the sink. The free continental breakfast was pretty good with a nice selection of food (unlike some other hotels). The shop and laudromat across the road were very handy and there is a fair bit of shopping close by or easily accessable by bus. The free internet was a nice bonus as well. If you get the Greyline bus to go to Seaworld/Universal/San Diego, as we did, expect to be the last ones dropped off as they do the hotels closer to Disneyland first. This got a bit annoying by the end of our stay as it adds .5 - 1 hour onto the trip.

My main problem with this hotel was the noise. People in the corridors could be heard very clearly. They have cobbled tiles in the corridors and there is an aweful racket as people wheel their suitcases around. Carpeted corridors would go along way to resolving this, as the way it is now sounds just echo around. We were pretty close to the lift and this was also pretty noisy. The night we left (3 am to catch a flight) someone had locked there girlfriend/wife out of their room and she could be heard begging to be let back in for around 30 mins before we left to get our taxi.

• Liked — The kitchen
  • Disliked — The noise
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aus23
Aussie on World Trip
Reviewed 6 June 2007

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and the excellent service from desk staff (thanks Rick!!). The rooms were huge!! Self-contained with everything you could possibly want - including a wide variety of shops and supermarket just across the street! Great pool view with our balcony overlooking the pool. The restaurant was fantastic for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Internet service was fantastic also. Had
a great time here and fantastic hotel for young families.

• Liked — Great self-contained rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing I didnt like.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family