“Was hoping for a bit more.”

Stanford Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Redding, CA
“Was hoping for a bit more.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

We frequent Disneyland & we're always looking for a new favorite place to stay that's more reasonable than our favorites (Best Western Park Place Inn, Embassy Suites or HoJo's)

We picked this hotel through Get Away Today based on Trip Advisor reviews, price & their hot breakfast. I was also impressed to see someone from the hotel actually reads these reviews.

Check in was smooth & the front desk was very friendly. A much welcomed change from the hotel we had just come from in Irvine. We had just come from the beach, so we checked into our room & headed to the pool. The pool & hot tub are very nice, but they're in the parking lot & this causes a HUGE downfall. Right behind the hot tub area is the garbage dumpster. Maybe it would be ok in the cooler months, but in August, the smell of rotting garbage was disgusting. It greatly lessened our enjoyment of the pool area & limited our time there to a quick dip & then back to our room.

The rooms were a comfortable size, as were the beds & pillows. The tv worked fine, the a/c would shut off randomly, but the filter was nice & clean (we always check) the refrig & microwave in the room was nice also. My two complaints about the room are the water. I read a few of the reviews below that said this problem was fixed & they only had problems on certain days, yeah right. Every day of our 4 night stay we had problems w/the water temperature. It would go from warm, to freezing cold, to burning hot without any warning. Not a pleasant experience by any means. My other room complaint is, we had early entry on Sunday, so we left our hotel at 5:45 AM & came back @ 3 PM for a nap & our room had not been cleaned. We called the front desk for some towels. They said they’d have them up to us in a “little bit” Well, 2-1/2 hours later we got a knock on the door, which woke us all up, since we fell asleep waiting for the towels. The 2nd day we made a request that our room please be made while we were at the parks & when we came back in the afternoon, it had been cleaned. (beds made, garbage taken out, fresh towels, etc) The 3rd & last day, we came back from the parks, again afternoon, probably 3 o’clock & again, the room had not been cleaned. I never did ask if you have to request maid service. Maybe this is their policy?

One other issue we had was parking. The weekend we were there, there was a sign on the door that said all rooms were sold out. So I’m not sure this is always a problem or not, but the evening we closed the park, (Tuesday evening) we were unable to find a parking spot. (We didn’t use ART, it was cheaper to park at the resort) My husband checked at the front desk & they told him to park at the hotel just down the block & he had to walk back. We felt very uneasy, worried about a break in or possible tow.

Ok, so on to the breakfast. One reason we picked this hotel was for the expanded breakfast I read about here on Trip Advisor. There is the standard breakfast fare, toast, bagels, cream cheese, hard boiled eggs, cereal, oatmeal, fruit & yogurt. They also have 2 flavors of “make them yourself,” waffles. (blueberry & malt during my stay) scrambled eggs & sausage patties. Well, your mileage may vary, but the scrambled eggs are powdered eggs & bad ones at that. IMO, they were inedible. The sausage patties were put into a plastic container & then microwaved (I watched the gal do this) & this, again, IMO, made them inedible. The rest was fine, but again, it’s just a standard breakfast & had I known the above, probably would have picked another hotel. Others have commented on how small the breakfast room is & it is tiny & it made navigation through the breakfast line very difficult. I think there could be a way to streamline the buffet to make it easier, especially by the waffle line.

So all in all, it was a so-so average stay. Enough good to out weigh the bad, but not enough for us to want another stay here. There are so many other, better hotels to pick for our Disneyland stay.

6 Thank wendebird
wjiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 6 October 2011
I am regret that you did not have an enjoyable experience to stay with us.

Regarding the garbage dumpster locates right behind the pool and hot tub – until you mentioned on this review, there is nobody even bring up my attentions that the smell does ruin their enjoyment. Since we always schedule our garbage pick up four times per week to make sure our trashes can be cleaned up no more than two days, I never know we have such smell problem. To solve this problem, first all, I will have my crew to wash out the trash bins once a week. If it does not solve the problem, we may need to consider making that space enclosed.

Regarding the water temperature issue - I discussed with some plumbers and everyone gave me some different solutions and/or suggestions. However, they all believe that there are too many people use showers in the same time, especially there is a team staying in due to they all being waken up on the same time. I am evaluating their suggestions and seeking the right solutions now.

Regarding the room cleaning services were too late - I have to admire our housekeepers’ training can be improved to be better. During the busy seasons, I usually have them to clean the checked-out rooms to make ready for the new guests check-in. However, there are guests like you did come back during the mid-day to try to take a rest and our housekeeper did not make the room yet. From this past summer, I already revise our work strategy to start to clean the stay-over after their lunches. I think they are not completely following this new strategy yet. It is our bad.

Regarding the parking issue - we really have more parking spaces available than most of hotels/motels around the Disneyland Resort. A lot of places charge the parking fees to lower their parking demand or allow the guests to double park their cars, which always cause problem on the next morning when the other guests found their cars being blocked. We do not have such problem. We do have two parking areas available in our property. One is located within the courtyard place and the other parking area is on the other side of building. Since our guestrooms are back to back, and those parking spaces are also in front of our other side’s guestrooms. There is no different safe issue for these two parking lots. Be honestly, Anaheim is a good area to visit. We did not have any problems happen, at least up to date, in our guests’ vehicles. There is nothing you need to worry about.

Regarding the scrambled eggs - we cook our scrambled eggs every morning. We bought those liquid eggs, not powdered ones, from our breakfast vendors. This type of liquid egg has been widely used in almost every restaurant which serves the breakfast. I do not know our scrambled eggs are different from others. I also don’t even know there are powdered eggs sold in the market. Since you come to Disneyland quite often, I am sincerely inviting you to check the liquid eggs we purchased. If you want, I can even arrange our vendor to meet you to discuss this issue.

Regarding the plastic container to heat up the sausage with microwave – if you noticed, those plastic containers are brown color, not regular clear container. These brown-color plastic containers are made by the high-heat resistant material which is designed for this heating purpose. This container can resist from -40⁰F to 375⁰F. Please be noted that Orange County Health Department comes to inspect our breakfast facilities twice per year. If those containers are not safe to heat up the food, they will not allow us to use also.

To conclude my reply, I do still sincerely appreciate that you spent your valuable time to write this review and share your feelings, both good and bad, with us and everybody. I wish you can stop by next time when you visit Disneyland again. You don’t have to stay with us, but do come back to check out whether we do any improvement and verify the statement I replied above is true or not.

Thanks for your business and comments. Wish I can meet you and chart with you in person next time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Korean first
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

Located close to Disney Resort. Rooms are clean and price is reasonable. Includes free breakfast and free wi-fi.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank johnh96813
wjiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
I am great that you gave us a positive review regarding our room value, sleep quality and cleanliness. Thanks for your compliments. However, you only graded our guest services as a fair level. It appears that we still have rooms to improve our guest services. Would you able to send me a mail or e-mail to describe where we can improve our services? Thanks in advance.

We are looking forward to seeing you back to Disneyland soon.
Arnaudville, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

I'd stay there again anytime. Housekeeping staff did great work. Registration desk staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank divegranny1
wjiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 13 September 2011
There is nothing more excited to learn that our services make the guests loving to stay with us and become to be our repeated customers.

Thanks for your businesses and compliments. We are looking forward to seeing you and your family again.
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

I chose this hotel because on their website they were 3 blocks away from Disneyland and it would be convenient to walk. Arriving we were told that it was not 3 blocks but a mile away. They do offer a shuttle service for $4 a person but we preferred to drive. Front desk was nice; very quick in checking in and out. Room was ok. Rust on toilet paper holder and no flat screen television as advertized. Biggest frustration was the shower with the water temperature. It would immediately change from hot to cold and never stayed one temperature. Loved having the free breakfast in the morning! Overall, good service, ok room and bad advertising.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank breefee
wjiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 24 August 2011
First all, I appreciate for choosing our Comfort Inn Maingate to fulfill your lodging need and also spend your time to write this review to share your experience.

The shuttle is provided by Anaheim Resort Transit (ART) to take guests back and forth from every hotel/motel to Disneyland. After this ART established, City of Anaheim does not allow any more property to provide their own shuttle service unless they already have this service existed. We are just courtesy to sell the ART passes to our guests for their own convenience. We do not get any profit during these transitions.

On August 7th and 8th, we received several complains stating that the shower water temperature cannot stay in a comfortable temperature. After we investigated, we found that somebody turn the cold water branch valve half way off, which are located on outside of building columns. Each coldwater branch valve controls eight (8) units’ coldwater in-take. You must stayed in one of these 8 units during that time. Since the coldwater was insufficient, the shower water temperature became unstable. After we turned the water valve back on, the problem is solved. We apologize this issue caused you any inconvenience.

I sincerely hope that the above explanation can earn your understanding. Wish we have another opportunity to serve you and your family again.
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

My son scalded his hands with the water that was set on cold, come to find out the handle was stripped. No maintenance person on duty. Finally a housekeeper came with the wrong tools and fixed it temporarly. I had to fix it myself before we checked out. Room upstairs sounded like a gymnasium all night long that my sons had to leave their room (the one with the bunkbeds) and come and sleep in our beds because it was so loud. One day, the housekeeper didnt leave towels and cleaned only half of the room. The toilet would self flush every half hour, which drove us nuts.

The breakfast room was another straw on the overloaded camels back. Overpacked and the other guests were rude and would make 4-6 waffles at at time instead of allowing those waiting to get a chance. They would even ask their family who were already eating if they wanted another waffle and proceed to make it for them (not managements fault), but the staff person working in the room should move those people along. Eggs and sausage were gone in the first 10 minutes of opening. The staff person even said that you should line up outside before the doors open to get any of those items. Perhaps serve people so they dont load up with an entire plate of eggs and 10 sausage patties.

Stayed here many times before and had a great time, this time was a disappointment. Might not return and writing to management. Very substandard.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
I am sincerely apologizing that you did not feel satisfactory during this stay.
On August 7th and 8th, we received several complaints, yours is one of them, stating that the shower water temperature cannot stay in a comfortable temperature. After we investigated, we found that somebody turn the cold water branch valve half way off, which are located on outside of building columns. Each coldwater branch valve controls eight (8) units’ coldwater in-take. You must stayed in one of these 8 units during that time. Since the coldwater was insufficient, the shower water temperature became unstable. After we turned the water valve back on, the problem is solved. This problem is beyond my housekeeper’s capability. No matter which tool he carried, those are wrong tools anyway. We apologize this issue caused you any inconvenience.
We did also experience that some kids are so excited during their Disneyland vacations, they just consistently running around even on the late evening. Once and wile, we need to call to remind their parents to claim down their kids. But sometime it is difficult to do so. Staying on the second floor is one option. Otherwise, if you experience this type problem, call to our front desk and let us to talk to their parents.
Having our staff to serve certain items in breakfast may be a good idea. However, how to cut down the waiting time for waffle and toaster line is still a challenge. I need to discuss among my staffs to come out a better way to solve this problem.
El Dorado Hills, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

If not for the completely full parking lot (no parking) and the overcrowded breakfast room, I would have given this hotel another point. We got one of the two room, two bathroom rooms, with bunk beds in one room and two doubles in the other. The bunks were more than adequate for our two teen daughters. For the price we paid, I can't complain. We arrived after spending the day at Disneyland, and it supposedly is only three blocks, but it took us a good 20 minutes of driving from the Mickey parking structure to the hotel.

We had a room at the back, so the noise was minimal. When arriving at the breakfast room about half way thru the breakfast time, there was almost nothing left. Every time the hotel worker would put out food, it disappeared instantly (there were that many people). People were actually being rude and taking 10 donuts and 10 oranges at a time - not the fault of the hotel. There was no yogurt, bagels, bread or sausages left - only minimal amounts of sweet pastries that no one wanted. It was just an extension of the overcrowded Disneyland and Disney California!

1 Thank Heidi M
I am regret that your impression for our property is “Crowded, crowded, crowded!”.

Our property has 108 rooms and has 110 parking spaces, which I don’t even include the 14 parking spaces we give to Ramada Inn for their parking usage. City of Anaheim only requests every hotel/motel has number of parking spaces equal or larger than 70% of their guestroom number since there are so many tourists not driving to Anaheim. Our parking availability ratio should be one of the highest ratios among the Disneyland Resort area. I am not sure that whether you aware that there is additional parking spaces located behind the building and right next to the Sport Bar Restaurant at our next door. I may need to improve the signage to indicate this parking area to prevent any further confusion. Be honestly, so far, we have no complains that we are short of parking spaces available for our guests.

For breakfast room, I know even I already provide 64 seats total in our breakfast room, it still appear that the room is not big enough. The waiting lines for Waffle and Toaster may make it look much worse. This comment is the same as shown on the other guest’s review, some people are so selfish and do not consider other persons. I need to come out some different way to operate the breakfast services.

Thanks you for choosing our Comfort Inn Maingate to fulfill your lodging needs. I hope the above explanations can earn your understanding and forgiveness. Wish we have another opportunity to serve you and your family again.
Langley City, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

My recent stay was a good experience. The room was big and clean, this hotel offers breakfast which is a bonus, but most of all the two ladies at the front desk, Hazel and Helen, who went out of their way to help me, when the lobby computer was down. Management I think you need a new computer..Anyways Hazel was kind enough to let me use her laptop to register and check in for my return flight home, I really appreciated her concern and kindness...thankyou Jill C

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank cccalijillangela
wjiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
I am glad to learn that our staff went beyond to assist our guests for their needs. Hazzel and Helen will get their rewards from the Management Team.

Since I received several comments regarding our lobby computer was always down, I already replaced that lobby computer about three weeks ago. So far this new computer is working fine.

Thanks for your business and looking forward to seeing you back to stay with us again.