“Pleasant, but one booking error.”

Stanford Inn & Suites
Ranked #13 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We had a large group, 12 people. So we booked two of the 2 bedroom kids suites. It was such a relief to have 4 full bathrooms for all of us. The kids loved having bunk bed rooms for all of the cousins to play together in. The rooms were comfortable and clean. Refrigerator and microwaves came in handy for cooking and storing of food while on vacation. When we booked our hotel through a popular vacation website, we also bought ART passes for the shuttle to Disneyland. This was very convenient the stop was only one hotel down the road.

Breakfast time can be a little busy with all the people, but we never had a problem finding seating. There is seating outside, and even more seating outside and around a corner. It is true that many people are only concerned about their own party, and will take all the helpings of one item, but this is not the Hotels fault, rather humanities. It was obvious that the workers worked really hard to keep it stocked and garbage taken out.

Two of our party came in a day early to assist in transporting some people from the airport. They got a different room because the suites had all been booked by the time they decided to come in a day early. Since check-out was at 1100 and check-in was not until 1500. The hotel staff was very accommodating and allowed these people to stay in the room until one of the suites could be cleaned and moved into. The staff cleaned out one of our suites early for us and we were able to check into it by 1200. In order to ease our burden the staff checked us into both of our rooms (side by side) at 1200. The other room would not be cleaned until later, and we were told to just come back later and all we would have to do is pick up the keys. So after a long day at Disneyland we returned to the hotel tired and worn, stopped by the front desk to pick up the keys, only to find out that the day time clerk had given our second room away while we were away. The clerk was really confused because the names of the people who were staying in the room was different, from the people who checked in. The clerk was really apologetic and tried to help us as best he could. Luckily they still had extra suites. The clerk gave us the option of moving our whole party to two adjoining rooms or just booking a separate room. We just got the separate room since everybody had already moved all the luggage and food into the one room. Instead of being side by side the two rooms ended up on opposite ends of the second floor. Making it real inconvenient for visiting. Overall it turned out OK, but the added stress of that evening was not enjoyable. No other compensation was offered for this confusion.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 October 2011

We stayed at the Comfort Inn Maingate due to we found really good rates. We had never stayed here before and thought we would give it a try. We arrived and the front desk was absolutely fabulous. Very friendly and let us know where everything was. They also upgraded our room to one of the biggest in the complex. We didn't realise how big until we walked in the front door. You could have fit two families there with room to spare. The furniture was abit dated but we couldn't find any fault since everything was comfortable clean and in decent condition. The shower gave plenty of hot water and was nice and clean. The beds were extra firm but that was a plus for us since we like them that way and slept very well. Breakfast was very good, we had scrambled eggs and sausage patties, but there was also waffles, cereal and other bread items. We did not leave there hungry. All in all we will not have a worry about staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DwarfPlanet
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Stayed for Disney trip on 10/14/11. Stayed in a Kids suite with 2 bathrooms.

The Great = Size of the room and 2 bathrooms. I have 3 teens and the bunks provided for my girls to have their own beds and my son to take the 2nd queen in the main room. Both rooms had ample space to store your stuff. Shower had excellent shower heads. Lots of comfy pillows. If you drive the location is excellent... right down the street from main parking and in a good location as many restaurants and stores (like Target) are right down the street. Newer countertops in bathrooms were lovely.

The Good = Breakfast had a lot of choices and ample food. TVs were good and AC was good. Beds were comfy. Towels were adequate and water was hot.

The OK = Parking: Most of the rooms are in a main part of the building; parking was full each night and you had to park in another part... but it was available at least. Decor was simple but carpet, chair, bedspreads, and wallpaper all looked like had been in service for a few years. Room was not spotless but we rushed the maids so I have to say it was clean. There were signs of long-term cleaning/upkeep neglect like caked-on dust on the celing vents, and old-looking spots on the shower head. There were some stains on the carpet and chair. That being said, the room seemed dusted and vacuumed and generally clean.

The Not-so-good = Breakfast room is set up poorly and it causes a lot of cross traffic. There are one too many tables in the breakfast room and not enough outside. Things that should be on the ends, like waffle station and plates, are in the middle of the line and so people step in front of other people. I can see the hotel is really trying to provide variety and so I can't score too low for that one... but they really need help organzing that room. I set up catering lines at work sometimes and their system could be easily fixed by reorganizing the location of the juice, toasters, plates, and waffle station. One of the bathtubs did not drain correctly and the hot water in the 2nd bathroom was very hard to adjust. There were some signs of long-term cleaning neglect like old, caked dust over the ceiling vents.

The Ugly = When we first arrived our room was not ready. My error because check in is at 3 and we were at 12:45.., so I couldn't be unhappy about that. But the young woman at the register was RUDE. I explained to her we had driven 10 hours and my kids and I needed to get ready for the Halloween party @ Disney and wondered if a room could be readied (since check out is 11) and how long it would take. She was of no help; she wasn't even nice. She just shrugged her shoulders and said, "maybe by 2 or 2:30." I asked her if the room was vacant and she said yes. I asked if it could be cleaned soon and she said, "Maybe by 2:00." It's hard to put in e-format... but it wasn't what she was saying so much as her tone and her total unwillingness to help. I told her we'd be back in an hour and I'd appreciate it if they could try to get the vacant suite cleaned. I camd back in a little over an hour and she checked the computer and said, "Nope, not ready, come back at 3:00." I asked her when the maids said they would be done.., and she had not even spoken to them. She said, "They are not to those rooms yet, they will be done by 3." I said, "So you are telling me at 2 pm there are no rooms ready?" And she said, "Yes, there are rooms, but no suites." I asked her if she had asked the maids to clean a suite and she admitted that she had not even spoken to them. I told her I was disapointed that she did not even attempt to talk to anyone and she just shrugged. I had hot, cranky kids in the car and I was about in tears. We had already been driving around for over an hour trying to kill time.

The good: A wonderful staff person overheard the conversation and called me back as I was leaving the room. She asked for my phone number and said she would call me when a room was ready. 5 minutes later she called and said they had something.

It was obvious the other woman just didn't care and didn't want to move her rear and go speak to the maid service.

It's unfortunate that the woman working at the desk was so uncaring and unhelpful. The other women, who was a bit older, was a darling and I wanted to give her a big hug.

Overall = I give this hotel a C+.. It would have gotten a B+ if the front woman would have been helpful and polite. The decor is a bit dated and the breakfast room is competitive and overcrowded... but the price was good, the room was clean and it met our needs. I don't think I'd stay there again... but only because of that one woman... she left a really negative impression.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Deanna_CA
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We frequent Disneyland & we're always looking for a new favorite place to stay that's more reasonable than our favorites (Best Western Park Place Inn, Embassy Suites or HoJo's)

We picked this hotel through Get Away Today based on Trip Advisor reviews, price & their hot breakfast. I was also impressed to see someone from the hotel actually reads these reviews.

Check in was smooth & the front desk was very friendly. A much welcomed change from the hotel we had just come from in Irvine. We had just come from the beach, so we checked into our room & headed to the pool. The pool & hot tub are very nice, but they're in the parking lot & this causes a HUGE downfall. Right behind the hot tub area is the garbage dumpster. Maybe it would be ok in the cooler months, but in August, the smell of rotting garbage was disgusting. It greatly lessened our enjoyment of the pool area & limited our time there to a quick dip & then back to our room.

The rooms were a comfortable size, as were the beds & pillows. The tv worked fine, the a/c would shut off randomly, but the filter was nice & clean (we always check) the refrig & microwave in the room was nice also. My two complaints about the room are the water. I read a few of the reviews below that said this problem was fixed & they only had problems on certain days, yeah right. Every day of our 4 night stay we had problems w/the water temperature. It would go from warm, to freezing cold, to burning hot without any warning. Not a pleasant experience by any means. My other room complaint is, we had early entry on Sunday, so we left our hotel at 5:45 AM & came back @ 3 PM for a nap & our room had not been cleaned. We called the front desk for some towels. They said they’d have them up to us in a “little bit” Well, 2-1/2 hours later we got a knock on the door, which woke us all up, since we fell asleep waiting for the towels. The 2nd day we made a request that our room please be made while we were at the parks & when we came back in the afternoon, it had been cleaned. (beds made, garbage taken out, fresh towels, etc) The 3rd & last day, we came back from the parks, again afternoon, probably 3 o’clock & again, the room had not been cleaned. I never did ask if you have to request maid service. Maybe this is their policy?

One other issue we had was parking. The weekend we were there, there was a sign on the door that said all rooms were sold out. So I’m not sure this is always a problem or not, but the evening we closed the park, (Tuesday evening) we were unable to find a parking spot. (We didn’t use ART, it was cheaper to park at the resort) My husband checked at the front desk & they told him to park at the hotel just down the block & he had to walk back. We felt very uneasy, worried about a break in or possible tow.

Ok, so on to the breakfast. One reason we picked this hotel was for the expanded breakfast I read about here on Trip Advisor. There is the standard breakfast fare, toast, bagels, cream cheese, hard boiled eggs, cereal, oatmeal, fruit & yogurt. They also have 2 flavors of “make them yourself,” waffles. (blueberry & malt during my stay) scrambled eggs & sausage patties. Well, your mileage may vary, but the scrambled eggs are powdered eggs & bad ones at that. IMO, they were inedible. The sausage patties were put into a plastic container & then microwaved (I watched the gal do this) & this, again, IMO, made them inedible. The rest was fine, but again, it’s just a standard breakfast & had I known the above, probably would have picked another hotel. Others have commented on how small the breakfast room is & it is tiny & it made navigation through the breakfast line very difficult. I think there could be a way to streamline the buffet to make it easier, especially by the waffle line.

So all in all, it was a so-so average stay. Enough good to out weigh the bad, but not enough for us to want another stay here. There are so many other, better hotels to pick for our Disneyland stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank wendebird
wjiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2011

I am regret that you did not have an enjoyable experience to stay with us.

Regarding the garbage dumpster locates right behind the pool and hot tub – until you mentioned on this review, there is nobody even bring up my attentions that the smell does ruin their enjoyment. Since we always schedule our garbage pick up four times per week to make sure our trashes can be cleaned up no more than two days, I never know we have such smell problem. To solve this problem, first all, I will have my crew to wash out the trash bins once a week. If it does not solve the problem, we may need to consider making that space enclosed.

Regarding the water temperature issue - I discussed with some plumbers and everyone gave me some different solutions and/or suggestions. However, they all believe that there are too many people use showers in the same time, especially there is a team staying in due to they all being waken up on the same time. I am evaluating their suggestions and seeking the right solutions now.

Regarding the room cleaning services were too late - I have to admire our housekeepers’ training can be improved to be better. During the busy seasons, I usually have them to clean the checked-out rooms to make ready for the new guests check-in. However, there are guests like you did come back during the mid-day to try to take a rest and our housekeeper did not make the room yet. From this past summer, I already revise our work strategy to start to clean the stay-over after their lunches. I think they are not completely following this new strategy yet. It is our bad.

Regarding the parking issue - we really have more parking spaces available than most of hotels/motels around the Disneyland Resort. A lot of places charge the parking fees to lower their parking demand or allow the guests to double park their cars, which always cause problem on the next morning when the other guests found their cars being blocked. We do not have such problem. We do have two parking areas available in our property. One is located within the courtyard place and the other parking area is on the other side of building. Since our guestrooms are back to back, and those parking spaces are also in front of our other side’s guestrooms. There is no different safe issue for these two parking lots. Be honestly, Anaheim is a good area to visit. We did not have any problems happen, at least up to date, in our guests’ vehicles. There is nothing you need to worry about.

Regarding the scrambled eggs - we cook our scrambled eggs every morning. We bought those liquid eggs, not powdered ones, from our breakfast vendors. This type of liquid egg has been widely used in almost every restaurant which serves the breakfast. I do not know our scrambled eggs are different from others. I also don’t even know there are powdered eggs sold in the market. Since you come to Disneyland quite often, I am sincerely inviting you to check the liquid eggs we purchased. If you want, I can even arrange our vendor to meet you to discuss this issue.

Regarding the plastic container to heat up the sausage with microwave – if you noticed, those plastic containers are brown color, not regular clear container. These brown-color plastic containers are made by the high-heat resistant material which is designed for this heating purpose. This container can resist from -40⁰F to 375⁰F. Please be noted that Orange County Health Department comes to inspect our breakfast facilities twice per year. If those containers are not safe to heat up the food, they will not allow us to use also.

To conclude my reply, I do still sincerely appreciate that you spent your valuable time to write this review and share your feelings, both good and bad, with us and everybody. I wish you can stop by next time when you visit Disneyland again. You don’t have to stay with us, but do come back to check out whether we do any improvement and verify the statement I replied above is true or not.

Thanks for your business and comments. Wish I can meet you and chart with you in person next time.

Reviewed 11 September 2011

Located close to Disney Resort. Rooms are clean and price is reasonable. Includes free breakfast and free wi-fi.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank johnh96813
wjiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2011

I am great that you gave us a positive review regarding our room value, sleep quality and cleanliness. Thanks for your compliments. However, you only graded our guest services as a fair level. It appears that we still have rooms to improve our guest services. Would you able to send me a mail or e-mail to describe where we can improve our services? Thanks in advance.

We are looking forward to seeing you back to Disneyland soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2011

I'd stay there again anytime. Housekeeping staff did great work. Registration desk staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank divegranny1
wjiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2011

There is nothing more excited to learn that our services make the guests loving to stay with us and become to be our repeated customers.

Thanks for your businesses and compliments. We are looking forward to seeing you and your family again.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

I chose this hotel because on their website they were 3 blocks away from Disneyland and it would be convenient to walk. Arriving we were told that it was not 3 blocks but a mile away. They do offer a shuttle service for $4 a person but we preferred to drive. Front desk was nice; very quick in checking in and out. Room was ok. Rust on toilet paper holder and no flat screen television as advertized. Biggest frustration was the shower with the water temperature. It would immediately change from hot to cold and never stayed one temperature. Loved having the free breakfast in the morning! Overall, good service, ok room and bad advertising.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank breefee
wjiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2011

First all, I appreciate for choosing our Comfort Inn Maingate to fulfill your lodging need and also spend your time to write this review to share your experience.

The shuttle is provided by Anaheim Resort Transit (ART) to take guests back and forth from every hotel/motel to Disneyland. After this ART established, City of Anaheim does not allow any more property to provide their own shuttle service unless they already have this service existed. We are just courtesy to sell the ART passes to our guests for their own convenience. We do not get any profit during these transitions.

On August 7th and 8th, we received several complains stating that the shower water temperature cannot stay in a comfortable temperature. After we investigated, we found that somebody turn the cold water branch valve half way off, which are located on outside of building columns. Each coldwater branch valve controls eight (8) units’ coldwater in-take. You must stayed in one of these 8 units during that time. Since the coldwater was insufficient, the shower water temperature became unstable. After we turned the water valve back on, the problem is solved. We apologize this issue caused you any inconvenience.

I sincerely hope that the above explanation can earn your understanding. Wish we have another opportunity to serve you and your family again.