“Better off staying somewhere else.....”

Desert Palms Hotel & Suites
Ranked #25 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersBronze level
Newark, California
“Better off staying somewhere else.....”
Reviewed 27 May 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights and took the park hopper for Disneyland and California Adventure. I booked this hotel because of free breakfast and close vicinity to Disneyland resort. However, on the map it may look close but it is a lengthy walk to the park entrance...approximately 15 to 20 minutes if you have children. I also booked this hotel because of the free breakfast.

The breakfast is one of the worst I have had. They have a waffle maker that never makes perfect waffles, no matter how hard you try, and everyone struggled to get them out of the waffle maker. There is no fresh cut fruits. The sausages tasted nasty and salty. In two words: avoid it. We ended up eating the cereal every morning to get the day started.

This hotel has no hotel room service, so if you order something, it will be from restaurants that provide room delivery.

The pool was alright, although they said that it was heated up, my son and I found it rather on the cold side and he was shivering. Plus I challenge the cleanliness of the pool as well. I did not see any covers going over the pool in the night when it closes at 10 PM.

The rooms look good in the photos, but they are dark and gloomy and they all have shutters so light barely comes in. Plus poor air circulation.

Since my stay was for 5 nights, I had to do some laundry and had to pay for it. One of the laundry machines was broken, the other one worked fortunately. I had to pay for it.

During the wait time on the 3rd floor I saw people checking in with their heavy luggage on carts, and struggling to get it out of the elevator. While families laughed about it as they struggled, a good hotel should always have bell boy service (please hotels, create some jobs for the needy).

Finally, the price of the rooms is not justified by its location. If you are a family with young children, be prepared to make frequent trips back and forth to take a nap. We walk to and fro 16 times in 4 days and it was torture at its best.

No shuttle service from hotel to park. There are nearby hotels with shuttle service and good amenities,....therefore, i recommend a different hotel for your stay if you plan to visit Disneyland resort.

My opinion...you are better off staying in some other hotel. This hotel is off of my list for any future trips to Anaheim.

1 Thank Manu1608

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2011

we stayed for 10 nights with our two babies - 9 month and 3 yr old sons. Firstly, the water was contaminated, it is cloudy and tastes disgusting. When I went to our next hotel with clean water, I noticed our pot for boiling our babies water had a thick white grime attached to it and it took 3 scrubs to get it off. Secondly, the two bed suite was tiny, we had trouble getting in and out of the door because the king bed was right in front of the door as was the tv. It was ridiculous. The room was noisy at night because everyone was in the pool yahooing. I slept with earplugs in. Nothing like the rooms are adverticed on website.
The bathroom has a light attached to the fan, so evertime the light is turned on at night the roaring fan wakes everyone up.
The most annoying thing was that I asked and begged for a cot for our 9 month old baby 3 TIMES and it wasn't until I got so angry at 7pm that they actually went and delivered it - not good enough. Even with supposed rennovations in part of the building I advise NOT to stay here, good location, thats it.
There is a crappy cafe that sells limited food and the free breakfast is horrible, it is franklins at it's best.

1 Thank Rissa41585
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We arrived late morning with 2 grandkids after a 24 hour international trip and front desk found us a room immediately. First junior suite was small and layout was not what we expected and they changed us straight away. All staff were helpful and friendly. Included breakfast was plentiful and varied although real eggs would be much better than powdered. Free WiFi was great. Bar kitchen closes early but fast food and better restaurants within 10 minute walk. Front desk booked us an LA tour with no problems. Easy access to freeways. Disneyland 10-15 minute walk. Couldn't have been better for us.

Room Tip: Not all junior suites are the same size!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 21 May 2011

Our dream holiday started here and couldn't have gone smoother. Reception were friendly and helpful, we could see Disneyland from our room and was only a 10 minute walk to the front entrance. We were also close to other Anaheim restaurants. Breakfast was good (although we don't want another waffle for awhile). The price for room and breakfast was definately worth it. If we ever get to Anahiem again, this is where we would stay.

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2011

The location is just a short walk to Disneyland among beautiful palm trees and flowers. We were given an upgrade in rooms without asking upon our arrival; found the room clean and spacious. The fridge and microwave came in handy for snacks. The buffet breakfast had everything we needed with a nice outside area to sit and look at the Tower of Terror.

Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I arrived early, and was greated at the front desk by a sweet young woman who checked me in. She even let me check in early, as my room was available!!! I have never stayed anywhere where they allow you to check in early. She was friendly, very knowledgeable and helpful.
My room was awesome. Beautiful interior, comfortable, roomy, and clean!
The breakfast bar was fully stocked, eggs, sausage, toast, waffles, cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt etc. etc. etc.
Quiet, I never heard a sound outside our room.
The shuttle service to Disneyland was wonderful, short ride to the park with very little wait, plus it saved me $11.00 everyday.
Best stay ever!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 May 2011

Chose this hotel through a travel arrangement by Expedia because of its proximity to Disney. The entrance really IS walking distance away.

Room was clean, hotel appears recently surface remodeled, staff was friendly and helpful, check in and check out was quick, painless and smooth. But these are all things you expect for $150 a night.

I know times are tough....consumers and businesses alike are cutting corners wherever possible...........BUT. At the rates this hotel charges, I don't think hot water should be considered a luxury. My wife first noticed that the sink water never got warm as we got ready for bed on our first night in. Then she tried the shower......got lukewarm after running about 10 minutes. Called front desk.....sorry, our maintenance man lives IN BAKERFIELD, so he can't make it in tonight! Luckily, we planned on showers in the morning.

Tried shower in the morning. Got 1 barely tolerable lukewarm shower in. Daughter tries shower. Guess we used up our allotment of lukewarm water for the day in my 5-minute shower. Nothing but cold water. Hey Front Desk!!!!......."OK, we'll send up someone right away." 30 minutes later......we had to leave, but reminded the front desk of the "send someone up right away" that never happened. "OK, we'll take care of it."

Get back at night......lukewarm water in sink; same in shower. Try again in the morning.....same story. Have to leave to go to Disney, so we don't have time to wait around another 45 minutes for the maintenance man from Bakersfield.

But really.....for nearly $150 a night, should hot water be extra?

Never again!