“GREAT SERVICE FROM ALL THE EMPLOYEES”

Desert Palms Hotel & Suites
Ranked #24 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lake Paris, CA
“GREAT SERVICE FROM ALL THE EMPLOYEES”
Reviewed 9 September 2010

I stayed at the hotel for one night as me and my wife wanted to spend the day at Disney. When we called to book our reservation the staff was very polite. We wanted to book a regular room with one bed but instead were offered a King Spa for only a couple dollars more. I figured it would be nice to have a spa to relax after a long day at Disneyland. On check in time the staff was great they quickly checked us in to our room. Our suite was very nice, with a great view, and very clean. The breakfast is excellent plenty of items to get you started for the day. I loved this hotel the Service is great and the hotel is nice. I am planning to visit soon.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
Caloundra, Australia
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Their website gave us medium expectations. It's walking distance from Disneyland (1/2 mile) and medium priced. We were still disappointed. The room we had was outdated and in bad repair. Broken window blinds, cramped room. Shower drain was backed-up. Internet very slow (but free). Breakfast was so-so. Nowhere near an Embassy Suites, but better than a plain continental. We would have been fine with these things.

The tipping point for me was the construction they had going on (surprise). Hammering and drilling on the floor above us during the day. Not helpful when trying to get a 3 year old down for a nap. Also, the water was turned off from 11am till 5pm on the two days we were there. The staff worked to be helpful.

Hopefully, the construction is something that will make future visitors pleased. I would not recommend this hotel to a friend unless until knowing the status, and results, of the construction.

Citrus Heights, California
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Pool is in a strange spot, not much sun. The elevator was a little scary, it didn't open all the way so we had to take the stairs but we were on the 2nd floor so we didn't mind.

Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed 8 August 2010

This was the WORST place I've ever stayed. Let me tell you a little about my family/vacation plans -
Military Family
Wanted a fun vacation with a decent hotel to shower/sleep/close to Disneyland
2 year old and 7 year old child
Wanted to spend a decent amount of money (not as much as the Resort hotels charge, because last year we stayed at Disneyland and found we only slept and showered there, so we didn't need an expensive hotel. Boy was I wrong.)

To be fair, below is listed the good items.
The good:
The lobby
The staff
Parking
7-11 next door

So, our story begins with us being to late to score a $75 military voucher for the deluxe rooms, or a voucher to get a suite for $139.00. The hotel had "already given away all of the voucher rooms." We were getting the deluxe room for $132.00 a night. When we arrived, my husband asked for a free upgrade - big mistake! The lady "upgraded us" we ended up in a room next to an exit door that was being slammed all night long. It was also located next to the smoke pit, which could be smelled inside the room. Finally, it was so small, we had to stand single file in order to get out of the room.
After two nights, I was fed up, so my husband complained and they upgraded us to a suite for the same price.
So, we walk into the suite - refreshing, until we go to the bathroom and turn on the light. It sounds like an airplane taking off - the whole time its on!
The first night in the suite my 2 year old screamed out in his sleep, "what is that noise." It felt like the hotel was vibrating. I searched around and guess what it was? There was a delivery truck at the 7-11 next door unloading goods. (Think a loud semi) On the last night we were there (the night we would get to sleep in because we didn't have to go to Disneyland) there was a sign on the elevator saying there would be an elevator test between 7 and 9 a.m. that might cause the fire alarm to go off and not to be alarmed.
What????
Around 6 a.m. I didn't hear a fire alarm, but I did hear a sound that sounded like "dong" over and over for around 5 minutes. Talk about fired up!

The hotels breakfast is a joke - nasty!
Pool is located in the middle of the building, no sunlight except for an hour or two and is Freezing! No heater for the pool!
Even the coffee is disguisting - save your time and go to the 7-11 next door.
Finally, the location is NOT close to Disney. It is at least 1/2 mile away. This is a long walk when you want to come home for lunch/at night when you are tired. Do yourself a favor and get one of the cheap hotels closer to the gate. This hotel was a nightmare!

1 Thank HappyFamily0845
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 August 2010

This hotel was given 4 stars and it is not even close to what I would consider 4 star. The furniture was very outdated and worn in our "suite." When we walked into the room there was a very strong scent of some sort of cleaner . We had to open up the balcony window to air out the room. I would never reccomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 4 August 2010

We (two adults and young two children) staid there three times in 2009 and 2010 on our trips to Disneyland. We were looking for something larger than a hotel room with a kitchen, reasonably priced, and walking distance from Disneyland. This hotel was pretty much the only choice. Their Sahara suite has a "full" (but small) kitchen - a small stove, a smallish fridge, a microwave and a kitchen sink with a tiny bit of counter space, plus all the basic (cheap and not not very well maintained) cooking utensils. It worked well for us to prepare basic meals/snacks for the kids, reheat a slice of pizza, and kept fruit and drinks cool.
Sahara suite offers a separate bedroom with two queen sized beds, and a living room (area) with a pull-out sofa. We did not use the sofa, so can't comment. Beds are ok - nothing fancy, but the pillows are the worst I've ever slept on. Sofa and an armchair in the living are are not particularly comfortable either.
Room has AC, but it's rather loud and blows right over one of the beds.
Bathrooms are fine, but somewhat dated. I saw some re-caulking to seal apparent leaks. Rooms offer free wires/wireless internet for basic use - slowish and limits amount of data you can transfer for free, but enough to check e-mail, etc.
Hotel has free breakfast on the 5th floor. Breakfast is above average, but nothing special. Menu is slightly different each day; expect to find coffee/juices/milk, eggs, beacon/sausages, cottage cheese, biscuits and gravy, cereal, pastries, and fruit. You can make your own waffles, which we all liked. Hotel was about half full on days of our trips, but breakfast area was always crowded, and by 9am they were out of many things, although they do re-supply during the hours that they are open. If you are there when hotel is full, and you don't like waiting in line, get your breakfast early... 7am early.
Hotel has a smallish pool and a hot tub - a good place to relax after a long day in a park. Especially if you like company, sitting shoulder to shoulder with someone else in the hot tub, or getting splashed from multiple directions in a pool. If pool is important, adjust your schedule. We went there around 5pm one day, and it was almost empty. By 6pm it started to get crowded.
Hotel is walking distance from Disneyland. It takes about 20-25 minutes to walk to the entrance. Our 3 year old had no problem with it, although she didn't mind being carried half the way back after having spent 6 hours in the park.
Overall, hotel is nothing special in terms of amenities and room quality, but it offers convenience of having a suite (kids go to bed, mom and dad can watch TV in another room), a kitchen (to keep your drinks, ice cream and fruit, cook/reheat) and being close to Disneyland. If you book through hotel's web site, click on "special offers" and get 20% if you book 3 nights or more. FOR THE PRICE - it's a very good value.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Novato, CA
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Following is a letter that I emailed to the General Manager of the Desert Palms Hotel.

Hello John P.

I must say that you certainly have an "over the top" staff at your hotel. Starting from my first call and conversation with Maria to our final check out with Albina and Jessica nothing could have been handled in a more courteous, professional and helpful way. Putting my group of 27 up in the requested room configuration could not have been handled any better than it was by the young ladies in reservations. We ended up with eight rooms. I called so many times in the beginning of my project that Maria recognized my voice and I'm sure she was saying to herself, "oh no, not him again. When she wasn't on duty Jessica handled all of my needs superbly. I also spoke with Jennifer and Wendy on occasion and they also were very courteous and professional. And Albina was most helpful when I needed to get the final cost totaled and set up for payment. Jessica was over the top when she sent me the final copies of the reservations along with several brochures of other local venues that we might visit other than Disneyland, which was the whole reason for the trip. Unfortunately, I didn't get to visit the Massage Spa the she sent along. I sure needed it after all day at Disneyland Saturday.

From our original check in and all the little episodes that came up, to the checkout, your staff handled us in a very professional way. Even to the point of getting us a special chair for my disabled sister so that taking a shower would be possible.

You can be very proud of your very well trained staff. From the first call with Maria to the final check out, they made me feel as if we were the most important people there. I know that they do this with every person they come in contact with. It was a great stay made very pleasant by your people.

Sincerely yours,