“Conveniently Located, Beautiful Property; Service is Laughable at Best”
Review of Hilton Anaheim

Hilton Anaheim
Ranked #46 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Green Bay, WI
“Conveniently Located, Beautiful Property; Service is Laughable at Best”
Reviewed 5 March 2010

I booked this hotel to attend a conference at the adjacent convention center. In all, we were 8 colleagues spread over 3 rooms. We were attending a large national convention, and as such expected check in to be lengthy. It was. We waited about 35-40 minutes, and when we got to the front, we were told that our prepaid reservation could not be found (despite confirming one week and again one day before departure). Not about to charge another $3,500 to a company credit card for something that had already been paid for, I was then told I needed to provide proof that we had actually paid for the reservation, in the form of a credit card statement. How ridiculous. I placed a quick call to the home office and a copy of the online statement was promptly faxed over to the fax number I was provided by the front desk clerk. I know what you are thinking. And no, we did not book through a third party, this was directly through the Hilton. We again approached the front desk, this time a different clerk was there, and I advised him that we had just faxed over the statement that was requested. He asked us which fax we sent it to. I gave him the number the previous clerk had provided us, and he was unsure of which of their fourteen fax machines it had gone to, and went to try and locate it. After another 30 minutes of standing in the lobby and missing the first round of meetings, with no word on our fax, I requested a manager. The manager was immediately able to locate our original, prepaid reservation (are you kidding me?) but told us he had bad news for us.

He informed us that the hotel was overbooked for the convention (as was to be expected) and that they were unable to accommodate our entire party. One of our rooms was being moved across the street to the Sheraton, which was NOT a comparable hotel to the Hilton, one room was being given as was booked, and the third room would be upgraded to a suite on the executive floor, he said, to compensate for all of the trouble we went through at the check in. We all headed our separate ways. When we arrived to our "suite" on the 14th (I think) floor, we discovered that they had taken what was once a 2 bedroom suite with a separate living area, given the two bedrooms to other parties, and left us with the living room and 3 rollaway beds folded up against the wall. At nearly $300/night for the room on our original reservation, rollaway beds were not acceptable. I called back down to the front desk and said if they didn't want to compensate us, that was fine, we just wanted rooms with real beds in them, regardless of where they were. I found it offensive that this room arrangement was passed off to us as an upgrade to compensate for our delay. We requested that our entire party be moved to the Sheraton, so that we would at least all be together, and that the room difference be credited back to us, and we were told it was not possible and that there were no other options available. I was furious, and wrote Hilton when we returned, and never received a response. A simple "we're sorry for the trouble, and we did the best we could" would have pacified me. But no apology was to be had.

That being said, this is a beautiful hotel, and housekeeping was excellent. Be prepared to hike to your room, as the property is best described as massive. The rooms are also layed out in a very awkward pattern, that resembled honeycomb to me. I did not think that the standard room that one of our parties was received was worth the price we paid, but I understand since our visit that there have been cosmetic renovations done to the property. The room our colleague received at the Sheraton was as nicely appointed and the rack rate was much lower.

All in all, if you are going to a convention, the hotel can't be beat for convenience, but if you're going for a leisure trip, try the Doubletree Guest Suites instead.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank JessR_G_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (817)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 March 2010

Four elevators for literally thousands of people, extremely disinterested staff more so at the higher levels, boring restaurants, and a spa with sub-standard cleanliness and services. it feels like a congested dorm for the most unsophisticated travelers. if you need to get work done, want nearby dining that does not scream chain same-old sameness and barely average food and ambiance, then seek out anywhere other than the Hilton. It's the same experience for each convention I've had to attend at this tired old has-been.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank docjax
HiltonAnaheim, Marketing at Hilton Anaheim, responded to this review, 19 March 2010
Thank you for taking the time to comment. Our hotel recently underwent a multi-million dollar renovation. All of our public areas, guestrooms, and meeting space received a complete transformation. Our state of the art health club, a 23,000 square foot facility, offers all of the latest in cardio, muscle training and group exercise programs received part one of it's renovation last year. The health club is scheduled to receive a renovation in the treatment rooms, and adjoining spa facilities later this year. Your comments regarding staff service is certainly not indicative of our team and will be shared with the management team for opportunities to improve…
Los Angelas
Reviewed 27 February 2010

I have stayed at the Hilton in Anaheim on both business and pleasure. On most business trips I get put on the executive level, and have access to the lounge. Next to the Grand Californian, this is one of the best properties in the Disneyland area.

Although, my most recent trip was a little less that what I expected. The other family I was traveling with was on a pretty tight budget, so we bid $45 on priceline and we got the Hilton. Unfortunately, they put us on the ground level of the courtyard, not so idea. As a person with somewhat of an OCD about personal security; the large glass door really bothered me.

CONS:
-Courtside Rooms
-There used to be that gate to the Lion King parking lot on Kattella Ave. This no longer exists, so you must either walk down Harbor to the main gate, or down Kattella to Disney Way, and walk to the Grand Californian.
-Getting to rooms that are in the far wings can be challenging due to the elevators being located in the center of the building.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
kansas
Reviewed 26 February 2010

The room was classy with floor to ceiling windows, plush, clean bedding and a great curved shower rod in the bathroom. The pool area was nice and inviting as well. We felt safe and fortunate to have stayed there for such a great rate.
The downside is that parking was $15.00/night and with no continental breakfast and certainly not wanting to pay so much for a bowl of cereal...we went to a grocery store and bought a few breakfast and snack items to keep in the room and saved a lot of money. This property did not offer free internet, so we paid for one day of usage in order to upload vacation pics to send to family. I think that the charge was $12.00.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 February 2010

Overall its not a bad hotel. We were at a conference right next door so the location was perfect.

Checkin
No problems for me but I must have got there at an off time. I did walk past and see a long line.

Room
The rooms were nice and well kept. They were a good size.

Bed
Nice bed. No problems. The pillows were pretty good also.

Bathroom
Small bathroom. I must say it took a long time for hot water some mornings also. Annoying but not horrible.

TV
Flat screen HDTV w/o HD channels. Lodgenet which stinks in itself.

Internet
Was not free. Pretty expensive at $13 a day or so.

Cell Service
It really stunk that no cell phones worked in the lobby and bar of the hotel. There was no service at all for Verizon. You would have to walk outside.

Restaurant
The food was not that bad at the restaurant. There were also some fast food places in the hotel to eat.

The place is huge and it stinks if your room isnt close to the elevator. You have to walk for like 5 minutes to your room.

Overall not a bad place. Everything is expensive. $6 domestic beers at the bar tend to add up. I'd be happy to stay there again but I'd try some others 1st.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 February 2010

I have to concur with many of the recent reviews of this hotel. We booked the room through a Priceline bid and were very happy with the experience. We could easily walk to Disneyland, California Adventure, Downtown Disney and the Garden Walk - a group of restaurants and shops nearby. The room was spacious and well-appointed. The staff were friendly. Parking at $15 a night seemed a bit steep, but we could come and go as needed. We enjoyed the outdoor pool and jacuzzis (in February!). The fitness center and indoor pool are shamelessly expensive at an additional $14 per day, even for hotel guests. My daughter loved her first experience with breakfast from room service, served elegantly on a rolling table with white linens and generous portions. If we head back to Anaheim, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Texas
Reviewed 18 February 2010

From the moment we got to the hotel, the staff was so friendly and welcoming! Checking in was a breeze and we went right up to our room. The decor of the room was warm and up to date. The beds were extremely comfortable and the shower-head in the bathroom was great. It was large and covered your whole back when it beat down on you! The bar was in the lobby with 3 huge flat screen TVs. We sat in the bar and our waitress was so talkative and answered all of our questions. I felt like she was really trying to help us. She even refilled our snack plate twice without us even having to ask her. We walked around by the convention center and we loved the many palm trees. There were 2 fast food restaurants in the back lobby which we thought was great to have in case you wanted something small. Also, we visited the two gift shops and found many interesting items especially in the Disney Store. I would definitely stay again and again at this beautiful hotel. This hotel on Priceline was very reasonable. We only paid $60 a night. The only con about this hotel was the $15 fee to use the work -out room.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple