“Just Ok. Poor service, unconcerned with any and all guest requests.”
Review of Hilton Anaheim

Hilton Anaheim
Ranked #46 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
USA
“Just Ok. Poor service, unconcerned with any and all guest requests.”
Reviewed 29 April 2010

Stayed here during a conference my wife was attending as a mini family vacation. The hotel is fairly nice, rooms upgraded and comfortable with modern furnishings. Great linens. At time of reservation we requested that a crib be in the room, even called multiple times to confirm this request twice well in advance of arrival. While en route from airport late at night with at least 45 minutes notice prior to arrival, we call the hotel and asked the front desk to have a crib ready in the room as the baby was asleep. The front desk agent said they had no record of the request (of course not - guest requests are obviously not a priority) so I asked if they could just have a crib ready for us in the room at check in so we would not have to wait; we were told "I'll see what I can do" - obviously again unconcerned my request. We arrive at the hotel, and again "we have no record of a crib request" and "there is no crib in the room" -- FANTASTIC!! This was very aggravating. Obviously for $200++ per night you do not get good service. We had to wait 20+ minutes after checkin for the crib to arrive at almost midnight with our poor 10 month old baby who was exhausted despite repeated attempts to have a crib ready.

On day 2 of our stay in the morning we called to ask for foam pillows as the feather pillows are very uncomfortable; we said we would like to have them for later in the evening -- they NEVER arrived. We stayed a total of 5 nights, the pillows never arrived. CLEARLY GUEST REQUESTS DO NOT MATTER HERE! This hotel has terrible service. I wish I booked at the marriott across the street. Will never stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank skiadct
HiltonAnaheim, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Anaheim, responded to this review, 17 May 2010
Thank you very much taking the time to leave us valuable feedback about your recent stay. I am very concerned about the level of guest service you received during your stay and on behalf of the hotel, I apologize to you and your family. I truly understand how important it is to have a crib in your room, and once you make the initial request, you should expect it to be there.

Guests Satisfaction is our number one priority. Clearly, we were not performing to the standards that we have set for our hotel and for that I sincerely apologize. I have reviewed your feedback with our Director of Front Office and Director of Guest Service and we will use this feedback in our morning trainings for our team members. Thank you again for the feedback! We hope to have the opportunity to to demonstrate our high guest service standards on your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 April 2010

We were really surprised when we were told that the indoor pool that is listed under amenities on all the sites describing this hotel is not free. In fact, it cots around $15/day for the required fitness centre admission to be able to use the pool. And, oh yes, the fitness centre is not free, as you noticed. One would have thought that a hotel that charges $130-$200/night minimum would at least have a needle and a thread kit, nope. Everything is incredibly expensive, from parking to the pop ($2.50) in the vending machines. Room service has an automatic 20% added to an already pricey menu. The rooms were clean, but nothing special, not very large at all. The closet was absolutely tiny. Most hotels have far larger rooms. The elevators were slow and the morning line-up in front of Starbucks was huge (15-20 people), daily. Many people learned to run over to the Marriott. Of course, breakfast is not included. Actually, the Marriott is as far as the Hilton from the convention centre, I would probably stay either there or in any of the many nearby hotels. I almost got overcharged by $10 than what I was originally quoted (I already had to pay 15+% more, since the quote did not include tax). Overall, I was not very impressed. It definitely costs too much for what one is getting. There was no fridge, the room is quite small, but the biggest frustration and inconvenience was caused by something we almost take for granted even in the smallest hotels, the lack of internet. Sure you could get one, but it will cost you and they won't tell you on any of their websites how much - $6/hr or $15 per day. I don’t want to pay $15 for internet when I need to use it only briefly, but having access to internet is essential for me. Lack of internet was of an outmost inconvenience and probably the biggest frustration by far. The hotel is also too far to Disney, especially if you have kids, unless you are willing to pay extra for a taxi (about $8 one way). One more thing - no fan in the tiny bathroom, so it's a steambath after a shower for quite a while. The toilet being in the bathroom itself didn't help the morning traffic either, but that wasn't too much of an inconvenience. The beds were clean and comfortable, but I kept waking up repeatedly during the night the whole time we stayed there.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Gabriela N
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Went for a business trip. The staff was very helpful. Checked in late night at 11PM and the staff happily upgraded me to Disney View with no additional charges. You can see disney fireworks from the room. Great View.

Clean Rooms, Well maintained. Didn't like the shower too much - The water is hot early in the morning or late at nights after 8 be prepared for a cold shower!

Had a really nice 32" LCD TV. You can connect your portable DVD players, Laptops, and any other media devices to the LCD. (Remember to bring a VGA, HDMI or other cables to connect).

Overall the great experience. Will recommend.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for your wonderful remarks about our team members!

I have forwarded your concern regarding the shower temperature to our Property Operations team for further investigation. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I understand your concern with the parking charges. Self Parking is $15 per day. The parking garage is actually owned and operated by the City of Anaheim and unfortunately, we are not able to regulate their prices.

Again, I am so glad that you had a great experience and thank you for taking the time to share your remarks!
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed 26 April 2010

As the other reviewers have noted, this is a huge hotel and any sense of atmophere gets lost in the masses.

Rooms: grade B. I've stayed in a lot of hotels but never had quiet the feeling of staying in a box with furniture as I did here. Barely any decoration, a minimum of furniture, no mini-fridge, etc. We had a view of a parking lot and a wall. Toiletries were nice however.

Cleanliness: grade C. Hair all over the bathroom floor. Stained sheets. Stale food and change around the base of the bed. Remote control dirty.

Service: grade B+. Mixed bag. Some really great, friendly customer service. Some not so much (almost understandable when dealing with SO many people every day)

Food: grade B+. Breakfast buffet expensive but good, with bonus of kids eat free. There is a food court with Baja Fresh, a smoothie place and Sbarro pizza which was a good, less expensive eating option.

Pool: Smaller that how it looks on the website picture but warm and four hot tubs.

Location: A. Right next to convention center and a couple blocks to Disneyland. Some restaurants and mini-marts in walking distance.

Bottom line: We've stayed at the Doubletree, Hilton Suites, and Marriott Suites in Anahiem and I would choose any of those over this Hilton.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank originalmadshopper
I would like to thank you for taking time to leave a detailed review of your recent stay with us. I have some concerns that I would like to address.

Our hotel is definitely big! With 1,573 rooms, we are the largest hotel in Southern California.

I am concerned about the cleanliness of your guest room. I have forwarded your review to our Director of Housekeeping and we would love to speak with you directly so that we may investigate this further. Our housekeeping team has received multiple awards but based on your review, it is clear that we were not performing to our high standards and I would like to sincerely apologize for that!

We welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us to get better! Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to speaking with you soon!
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2010

This was our final destination of our US trip and we decided on the Hilton Anaheim with a balcony and Disneyland view. We arrived early to check in, but our room wasn't ready so they did check us in so the room would be ready when we came back. We left out luggage and dropped our hire car back and proceed directly to Disneyland for the rest of the day and night. We got back about 8:30pm and the line up to check in was huge - a tip is use the auto check in computers in the lobby - 5 minutes and we had our room access cards and a quick call to the bell desk and we had our luggage. The room was 2 queens on Lanai with balcony Disney view. I though that the balcony would be some small little thing but it was the size of the room with outdoor furniture to enjoy the fireworks and view. It was better than expected. On two nights because we got back late from Disneyland we called room service and it was great. We spent one day by the pool where we had lunch - all was good. Checkout was a bit of a mix up as they didn't add the room charge to the bill but I let them know and they fixed it up straight away. A great place to stay, The balcony view was worth the money and the Hotel is conveniently located to Disneyland. A trick with the bath is to just turn the dial on the tub, the plug is build into the drain pipe below the tub. I'm sure the staff at maintenance get sick of the phone calls - 'where is the bath tub plug'. On our last day we left our luggage and picked it up after another full day at Disneyland before we headed off to the airport. The bell staff were great in getting us cabs each day and in organising a fixed cost cab ride to LAX for $100. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank aje71
UK
Reviewed 20 April 2010

This hotel must have somewhere around 1500 rooms, which frankly makes it too big. There are only eight elevators (two banks of four), and you end up waiting ages for one, and also walking a long way to your room.

The rooms, however, are very pleasant. Very comfortable chairs for work, and excellent beds for sleep to get over jetlag. Bathroom is fine (albeit a bit odd with just a sliding door to separate it from the room).

The hotel breakfast in the Mix restaurant is overpriced and a waste of time and money - and your only other choice - the Starbucks in the hotel - has a perpetual long queue and is also overpriced (but not to the same degree).

You'll be in Anaheim for one of two reasons: Disneyland, or a conference. I was here for the latter, and the lack of decent places for lunch and dinner nearby is particularly painful. But this hotel did provide a significant plus to the trip through its comfort in evenings. Overall, however, you'll find other, more reasonably priced hotels within a couple of minutes walk, so these should be investigated.

1 Thank unspecified
Philadelphia
Reviewed 19 April 2010

Some hotels charge a small package handling fee, but this one took it a step further by billing me $40 to receive a piece of luggage that arrived the same day I did. And then they passed the buck to the UPS Store in the lobby: "we send all packages to them; talk to them". Even though the UPS store was closed and it was the hotel's bellman who delivered the luggage. And the $40 wasn't disclosed, so the bellman even got the usual tip for his service.

Lots of infrastructure issues: the hot water routinely took more than five minutes to warm up, and engineering explained that it was due to the size of the hotel. Sure, at 1600 rooms, it is one of the largest in the country, but you'd think they'd have this basic thing under control.

And we could hear our neighbors clearly. Some of that was the thin walls. Some was the 2" gap under the door, which engineering explained was common: something about the wrong doors being installed in a recent renovation.

Self parking is $15 for overnight guests but only $10 for transients (e.g. those going to Disneyland). I suggest not telling the parking attendant that you're a guest.

No coin laundry, but the Marriott across the street welcomes Hilton guests to use theirs. Given the friendly service at the Marriott, I'd strongly suggest staying there instead.

In fact, even if you're going to a convention at the Hilton, consider the Marriott: it's literally across the street. Beware of overpriced group rates: I saw groups paying nearly twice the walk-up rate available to the general public, and the hotel is often available on Priceline.

On the good side: they have the standard Hilton bedding package with a down duvet and natural fiber pillows. And the food service was very good: room service was stellar, as was the buffet breakfast. Consider the chef's daily dinner specials. If you do stay here, consider the bed and breakfast package: it was $10 more for full breakfast for two, and well worth it. They no longer have an executive lounge.

There are a few chain restaurants in the lobby "food court": the aforementioned Starbucks, a Sbarro, Baja Fresh, and a frozen yogurt shop. Prices are higher than you'll see most places.

Net (wired and wireless) was $13.

If you don't get a north-facing room, you can still get a good view of the Disneyland fireworks from the top floor of the parking garage. It's not worth paying extra for the Disney view.

1 Thank zippy47