“Great for families with teens and on a budget”
Review of The Anaheim Hotel

The Anaheim Hotel
Ranked #78 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great for families with teens and on a budget”
Reviewed 2 November 2005

We were quite satisfied and pleased with the accommodations given the price we paid (about $800 for a family suite -- 2 rooms and 4 queen beds -- for a full week). Everything was clean and the service was friendly and efficient. We had a second floor suite and had absolutely no problem with noise. The only negative things I could say were that: a) it has seen better days (some paint peeling, etc) but the staff were constantly seen grooming the yards, cleaning, etc so it seemed that they were making genuine efforts to maintain it as best as they can, and b) the TV's were older models and cable reception was poor, but we weren't going on vacation to watch TV anyway so it wasn't an issue.

The swimming pool was excellent and the gift shop and laundry were reasonable in prices and quality. We didn't try their restaurant at all. It would have been a bonus to have internet connection in the rooms but, again, that wasn't what we were there for.

The rooms were large and not dreary. We had no problem maintaining a comfortable temperature in the rooms and the water pressure and temperature were not fabulous, but fine. There were no unpleasant smells except for the first suite they put us in had just had the carpets freshly shampooed and the cleaner was a bit much. But my husband is a smoker so we wanted a suite with a balcony, and they happily moved us as soon as a balcony suite became available.

Their website is deceptive in advertising, saying that they're the closest hotel to the Disney entrance. They're right across the street from what I can only assume is the OLD entrance, so there was still a fair walk, which was disappointing.

All in all, we wanted a cheap place to sleep within walking distance of Disney, that was clean, had four beds, and allowed smoking. We were satisfied that we got all of that with the Anaheim Plaza. It's definitely not a hotel for someone with high standards or expectations, but for a family like ours with teenagers, it worked very well and we'd go back there again without hesitation. If my husband and I go alone, though, we would probably book somewhere closer to the park and with more modern amenities (like internet).

Stayed September 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 31 October 2005

We just got back from a 4 day stay, and I really liked this hotel. It is a budget hotel, but it was clean, staff was friendly, and the grounds were kept nice. I also thought that the rooms were quite spacious. I would definately stay here again, and recommend it to all of my budget traveling friends.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 24 October 2005

We stayed for 5 nights at this motel. We thought it was clean and tidy. We stayed on the top floor and from reading the past reviews from people who stayed on the ground floor, we have no complaint on noise. There is no microwave ovens in the room to heat any food or baby bottles nor jug to have a "cuppa". They did have a coffee machine which we removed the coffee part and just boiled the water. The front desk were very helpful and came to the rescue when I needed a container to put sterilising tablets in to sterilise the baby bottles. My problems would only effect other people who had an infant and were still sterilising bottles, and making formula.
I don't think they have enough washing machines, two is not enough for a motel of its size. Especially when they are full. There were 4 dryers.
We ate in the restaraunt twice whilst there, but found the food a little too sugary for us, as well as lacking some taste. The eggs did not taste like real eggs, possibly powdered mixture. It was good that our 7 year old ate for free, he did not each that much. (We took our own vegemite)
The motel is not outside the front gates to Disneyland but it is only a 5 to 10 minute walk, it isn't that far.
For what you pay, I think it's value for money.

• Stayed September 2005
7 Thank snjjben

Travellers are raving about these Anaheim hotels

Nampa, Idaho
Reviewed 21 October 2005

We stayed Oct 9-13th and were surprised with all the negative comments made. I came here knowing this was not a 5 star hotel. It is older but we stayed in the 400 complex upstairs and found it to be clean and comfortable. Yes, there were a few minor cracks in the acoustical ceiling, and some 'dings' in the walls, but the housekeeping was amazing in keeping the rooms clean. I had read comments regarding a 'smell' and we noticed it at first, but I had brought a room freshener and did not notice 'the smell' upon subsequent arrivals to the room. My wife and I were traveling with our 3 children under 6yrs old and our mothers. The rooms (adjoining) were very spacious (especially the bathroom vanity-about 10 foot long with double sinks). We always returned to the rooms to find them made up nicely and even our 'messes' cleaned up. For example our toothbrushes in their containers would be organized in a row on a clean towel on the vanity each day, though we had left them scattered. We got there for late check in w/o problems, though we did have reservations for a family suite (2 rooms) and they had us down for 1 room. Carlos at the front desk fixed it right away, however, though for a bit I was worried there wouldn't be room. The building air conditioners _are_ noisy; this could affect light sleepers. The location is close to Disneyland, only one 'regular' block from the shuttle drop off. I clocked it on the odometer at .2 mile (Which isn't much considering the walking you do at Disneyland). However, for our Mom's sake, I would drop the family off at the 15min unloading zone and then drive the block back to the hotel and park, saving them some unecessary walking. I noticed security patrolling the grounds at night, and we never felt unsafe here. Parking can be a problem as people not staying at the hotel appeared to be using the lot (no parking passes were distributed). Overall I felt the value of the hotel to be well worth the money. I noticed Orbitz gave better rates when I was comparing rates, but ended up using the hotel's website when there was a last minute increase of rates when I went to actually book the room.

9 Thank FamMan_6
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 October 2005

We requested a room on the bottom that had a nice size patio (about 12x12)...it was nice for our dog we brought with us...the room was small but clean. the a/c was on the loud side...and there was no microwave as described (not that we needed it). we asked for a crib and extra towels and pillow, they were delivered in about 10 minutes. the bathroom was tiny & the shower temp was fussy. it was less than a 10 minute walk from disneyland. the grounds are fairly well kept. for $54/night...how could you go wrong.

9 Thank awinnera
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 16 October 2005

We booked this Hotel for 4 nights for a family vacation. When we checked in we were sent to what they call a family Suite, which is two rooms with a door between them. The smell was so bad it was between a mildew and paint. We decided that we could not stay in this room and need to be moved. We went back down to the desk and they moved us to another room. Still had the bad smell and was run down, old and in very much need of a remodel. We also came back from disneyland late at night and had found a crib in our room, I called the front desk and they argued with me and said I had requested the crib, I told them the youngest child I had with me was 15 years old. After about an hour somone came and got the crib out of the room.
I tried contacting other Hotels in the area and they were booked since it was the 50th anniversary. So we tried to make the best of it. As we would leave daily to Disneyland our clothes had started to pick up the smell of mildew and we smelled like it all day and our luggage smelt when we got home.The soaps were not replaced and the towels were so dingy and dirty. You could also hear the conversations of the guest in the room next to us as we tried to sleep. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed May 2005
5 Thank Koregon
Reviewed 13 October 2005

We found this hotel to be just average the rooms were average but well maintained by the maids. The air conditioners are very noisey. Its location is great only a 5 minute walk to to Disney The swimming pool was excelent. The Resturant was okay Kids (under 9) ate free. There is a games room and laundry which is handy. My one complaint is the Hotel staff had no idea on the public buses in the area it was easier to go to the stops and ask the drivers. The hotel is only a $10 taxi ride from the Amtrak. Overall its good for what you pay but dont expect to much.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member