Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #19 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 20 March 2011

This is our 3rd stay at the Howard Johnson/Anaheim to visit the Disneyland Resort and will return again and again. It has something for everyone from small children to adults who need a quiet place to rest after going to the parks. There is a children's water play area that looked so fun I wished I had brought my suit. Some children might remember the dumping water bucket clearer than they remember Disneyland! Our room was large enough for 3 adults and extremely comfortable. We found ourself returning to the room midday for naps. The hotel is located near to the maingate of DL/DCA and there is a great restaurant Mimi's next door. Furthermore they do not charge for parking if you have a vehicle. We hated to leave.

2  Thank LyndaLaLou

Reviewed 20 March 2011

I only stayed one night at the hotel but it was great place and I have no complaints. When we arrived we asked it there was a room available (on the standard which we had booked) where we would be able to see the Disney fireworks; there wasn't, but they did upgrade us, for free, to a room where we would be able to see them, seeing as we were only there for one night! The fireworks are not to be missed and its well worth trying to get a room with a view.

The room was spacious, clean, comfortable, had its own balcony and the hotel has its own shop which was pretty handy. We never got the chance to try out the pool as we arrived pretty late in the day, but it looked awesome and if I was a 7 year old I would have been positively giddy with excitment! Roll into that the idea of seeing Mickey and any parents might want to hide any sugary treats for a while.

Off to Disney Land the next day and the hotel were more than happy to provide us with free storage for suitcases.

My first time at a HoJo but I thought it was great!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank karen_dodds
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Rooms - We were placed in Building 1 on the second floor in a room with two queen beds (very comfy) which faced the freeway. We are a family of three with a 7 year old and we found the size of the room was huge with plenty of space. We had a small balcony, a little bistro table with two chairs in the room, and tons of storage space in the room. The bathroom was a decent size and there was also counterspace with a sink and mirror outside of the actual bathroom which I really liked when it came to all of us getting ready at the same time. We had a little mini fridge as well as a Keurig coffee maker which the hotel provides four coffee pods for every day. If you love your coffee (as we do!) and run out of the coffee pods or want actual creamer as opposed to the powder, the little store downstairs sells a nice selection of them for $1 for the coffee pods and .25 for the little creamers. There is also a safe provided free of charge in the room as well. If you are sensitive to noise, then I suggest requesting a room facing away from the freeway as you WILL find it noisy at all times.

Hotel Grounds - The hotel itself is broken up into a few buildings with some nice landscaping. One of the things that makes the Howard Johnson so popular with families is the pirate themed water park they have. It really is a great area for kids and there are tables and chairs and lounge chairs in there as well as blue pool towels provided. There is also a regular pool area (with a salt water pool) with tables, chairs, lounge chairs, and blue pool towels there for you too. Both of these are completely fenced in and gated, both which you need a room card to get in. If you need to use the internet while here, there are two Mac computers in the hotel lobby to use free of charge. The people at the front desk were always great and willing to go beyond. There is a little convenience store located in the lobby of Building 1 and they carry most everything you could possibly need for your stay and pretty good prices. They have snacks, drinks, beer, wine, a few things you could use for breakfasts or lunch, gifts, etc.,...I could really go on and on! Also in the lobby of Building 1 is a games room that uses quarters for the games.

Restaurants - Within a fifteen minute walk from the hotel itself, you really have a huge selection of restaurants to choose from. Of course the closest is Mimi's Cafe (right across the street) and their prices are pretty good. We had a couple of breakfasts, one lunch, and one dinner here. I found the food really good but I have to agree with other reviewers that the service here is a definite hit and miss. Our first time there our waitress was FANTASTIC, but the next day for breakfast, oh my goodness, you could tell our waiter wanted to be anywhere but there, lol (he gave my son the wrong drink, my husband the wrong muffin, and he got our bills wrong). Obviously nothing to ruin a vacation (or even a morning) over, but just be prepared for rocky service;-) Just a couple of minutes further is Millie's where we ate most of our breakfasts. It has more of a diner feel than Mimi's Cafe and the food is more like that too but it's also a tad bit cheaper and we found the service better. Over in the Gardenwalk area is The Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, Bubba Gump Shrimp, California Pizza Kitchen, and many more.
One place we felt the need to tell people to avoid is the IHOP right across the street from the Disneyland entrance. We went there one evening for dinner and we were so disappointed with the food, service, and for what you get for the prices they charge you is ridiculous! They have a 'Kids Eat Free After 5pm' deal that trust me, is NOT a deal. With our son eating 'free' our bill ended up being $32 for 2 sad looking clubhouse sandwiches (they weren't even true clubhouse sandwiches, just some sad ingredients between two pieces of bread) and 3 pops. Also, my 7 year old son loves salad and most of the time he will ask to substitute a salad instead of having fries with his meal. Never in the history of us going to a restaurant has this ever been a problem but for IHOP it was. In this day and age where healthier choices are being pushed, that should never be a question! Just as a comparison, at Mimi's and Millie's, their sandwiches are around ten dollars and kids meals about $5 so while you're not getting your child's meal for 'free', you will still pay about the same for a WAY better meal.

All in all, we were incredibly happy with our stay at HOJO's and would no doubt choose this hotel should we come back to Disneyland in the future=)

6  Thank TannisJ
Reviewed 13 March 2011

This hotel is very clean; the grounds, the lobby, the gameroom, the waterpark, the mini store, and most importantly the room. We stayed in a double room in building 4 which is the farthest from the freeway and yes we could hear the traffic when we opened the patio door but not once we closed the door. The beds were very comfortable, the corner rooms in buildings 3-6 are slightly smaller than the rest due to the stairs, no elevators in these two story buildings but they do not face the freeway. Buildings 1 and 2 have elevators but face the freeway. Disney is a close 8 minute walk. Mimis restaurant is great, millies restaurant is ok and both are across the street along with Mc Donalds. We have stayed at many hotels in Anaheim and this by far was the best, this will be the hotel we always stay in Anaheim from now on. Overall this was a wonderful stay.

1  Thank Carlos C
Reviewed 11 March 2011

We just returned after a 5 night stay using 4 different rooms. Using the entertainment rate made this an awesome deal. Our rooms were in Building 2 overlooking the garden pool. I would say this was a perfect location and they even had our block of rooms very close to each other. Everything was perfect. The kids loved the water park, pool and hot tub. And I was able to watch the grandkids in the pool from our small deck.
My biggest tip to everyone is to join the Mimi's Cafe eclub online just prior to your trip and you will get some 2 for 1 coupons for the restaurant next door. Best place we ate our whole trip. During our stay, Mimi's sent a new online coupon for dinner and the front desk gladly printed the coupon for us, so we could use it. Very nice of them. So nice having free Wi-Fi in the room. This was a wonderful family trip and I would gladly stay at HOJO'S again.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Nugent1
Reviewed 9 March 2011

After reading several reviews, we hedged our bet and went with the Ho Jo. What a pleasant surprise. The grounds were immaculate. The staff were so very helpful and eager to please. My husband and I and our 4.5 year old wish we had taken a little more time to do Disneyland and California Adeventure so that we had more time to just hang out back at the Ho Jo. The splash pool was perfect for our little one and everyone there seemed to be having such a great holiday. Sure... we could hear traffic but it's the City for goodness sakes - you can hear it where ever you go and besides... we played so hard all day long that nothing kept us from sleeping well at night. Excellent value for the dollar and I would highly recommend this parent and tot haven to any fun-loving family out there.

Reviewed 9 March 2011

We stayed at the HoJo for 3 nights in late January 2011. I chose this hotel based on these reviews and because it had a waterpark. The kids loved the waterpark even in the 68-70 degree weather.

I also took a look at the videos of the rooms on the HoJo Anaheim website to get a good look at the rooms.

The family suite with bunk beds were an immediate hit with my 2 and 4 year olds. Having 2 bathrooms was a real bonus. The King bed was really comfortable with cozy bedding and lots of pillows. We paid $130 per night for this family suite - a great value!

All of the family suites are in Building 1, which faces the freeway. It was very noisy as we expected but we soon got used to it and could barely notice it by day two. I slept very well with my ear plugs in.

The walk to Disneyland was an easy 8-10 minute walk, even with two tired kids at the end of the day. We watched the Disney fireworks from the hotel's parking lot - they were on very late for our small children (9pm) so it was nice to be close to our room afterwards.

A complimentary breakfast would have been nice but we prepared for that and stopped at a grocery store beforehand for breakfast items and fruit. We also ate at Mimi's cafe across the street which served a great breakfast.

We will definitely stay there again for the value of the family suite and the waterpark.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family