“Good Choice for Disneyland”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #18 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 3 April 2011

My family stayed here for 8 days and I found this Hotel great. Pros: 1) Fairly close to Main Gate Disneyland; 2) Close to a few good restaurants including a busy McDonalds; 3) Excellent water park for kids; 4) Great little on site corner store; 5) Good friendly staff 6) Very good beds; 7) Good safe in room to store valuables. 8) Good parking 9) Great in room coffee maker 9) the gardener must be good as the grounds are impressive. Cons: 1) I5 Highway behind the hotel and can be noisy outside (although the noise never heard in room); 2) The hotel is worn down in parts; 3) Outdoor only pool is on the small size and can get packed; 4) Starbucks or a coffee shop is not easily accessible; 5) Old televisions or no flat screen tvs (I never watched much tv anyway but these days one does appreciate a good tv in your room) 6) Wireless internet is free but is the slowest wireless I have experienced in a while; 7) No free morning breakfast or lite breakfast exists here (I appreciate the ability to get a coffee, juice and some toast in the morning).

All in all, I would good back again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near the pool.
2  Thank albertalaw

Reviewed 2 April 2011

My husband and I spent a week here in March 2011 for a trip to Disneyland. We got the DL AP rate, so it was an excellent deal too!

Our room was on the 5th floor in tower 1 (closest to the office, above the gift shop). The location of our room was good. The room its self was fine. We had a king sized bed, lots of drawer space (if you need that), a desk, and table with two chairs. There was also a small refrig in the room. The sheets were clean and the bed was surprisingly comfortable. I liked having the extra pillows too. It made it extra cozy. We were on the side of the building facing the freeway, so there was some traffic/road noise, but it didn't keep us up. I could see if you need it to be quiet while sleeping, it might be bothersome. I'd just request a room away from the freeway side or in one of the other buildings. You also get 10% off in the gift shop with your DL AP if you need something from there.

We didn't use the pool area, but it looked nice and has a nice play area. The staff was friendly and courteous. There are a couple of computers (MAC's) in the front desk area if you need to print boarding passes or anything. They were free to use. There's free wifi in the room though.

I timed the walk to the entrance gates at DCA (including going through security) and it was a 15 min walk. We were two adults walking an average speed and not much of a line through security. We usually crossed Harbor at light by Mimi's, there's less people traffic on that side and no timeshare sales people.

Also the parking is still free here! We drive and appreciate getting a great rate on the room and still not having to pay for parking.

This was actually my third time staying here for a trip to DL. We'll be staying here again for the great deals and cleanliness.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mikayla73
Reviewed 30 March 2011

Stayed at the HoJo in March 2011. First U.S. accommodation on our holiday to America. The front desk staff are great. Super friendly and helpful. The rooms are ok for what they are. Not overly big, but they fitted 2 adults and 2 kids with no problem. A bit of refurbishment would be nice though. The rooms do look a bit dated, and the old t.v. is a joke. HoJo has no room service, restaurant or bar. Ya on ya own, here! But, Mimi’s, Millie’s and take away restaurants are very close by. The pirate themed kids pool is brilliant. Despite having Disneyland across the road, my 8 year old twins simply had to spend time each day in the pool. There is another pool towards the rear of the complex, but I didn’t need to check it out.

HoJo is a pretty good choice for Anaheim stayers. Its nothing special, but the price is right. But, book wisely. Our room was on the 4th floor, directly next to the freeway. If you are of sensitive disposition, you will find this a major annoyance. It is loud. All day – all night! Rooms are non-smoking and the smoking area is between the buildings, with the roar of the freeway to keep you company. There is a games room for the kids, but when we stayed, most of the games were not working. Which is not a bad thing for my wallet, I must say.

It’s an easy 10 minute walk to Disneyland from HoJo. Santa Ana shopping mall is a quick 10 minute cab ride. On your way to Disneyland, you can pass a Denny’s and a few other eateries. HoJo has quite a good store on the ground floor to get supplies.

All in all, stay here by all means. Just ensure your room is not near the freeway.

4  Thank corgi47
Reviewed 26 March 2011

We stayed at the HoJo because of the location, but I was pleasantly surprised just how close the hotel was to Disney. Easy walk for my 6 & 8 year old. We got a king suite that had two suites, one side for the kids and one side for the adults. It was great! The rooms are a little older but very clean (and we are picky!). I could never hear anyone above or below us. I hate hotels where you can hear everything. The grounds were immaculate and my kids loved both the pool and the little water park. We were there for 8 days and housekeeping did a great job. My only negative was the freeway noise. We were building one/3rd floor on the corner. The noise was louder in our room than the kids, but we used earplugs at night and it was fine. I have honestly never slept so well, the beds were amazingly comfy. Could see the fireworks everynight. For the price we paid, this was a great place to stay! Mimis restaurant was great!

1  Thank padywgn
Reviewed 25 March 2011

To start off with a note- When using a GPS the address the hotel provides on Harbor will not lead you to the front of the hotel, it leads you to a side where there is no enter/exit access. I didn't realize this and took the U turn the GPS suggested and had to travel down a couple of blocks to make another U turn and try it again. If you're coming from the North just turn on the side street and it leads you directly to the hotel parking lot.

This hotel was booked using the Entertainment Rate for a Standard Room so I couldn't have asked for a more affordable choice! Check in was a breeze and I pulled my car back to building 2. I like that I needed to use my room key card to enter the building, it made me feel very safe. This was very important to me since I was traveling alone. My room was on the 3rd floor and had a view of the pool. The room was very nice! Very comfy bed (1 King), nice bathroom (although a little small, I had to close to the door to use the shower), and good size fridge. I loved the Keurig coffee maker (I made a trip to their little market and purchased Hot Chocolate K Cups for $1 each) and the to-go coffee cups were great! I used one each morning on my walk to the park.
The distance to the park is not bad, having bad surgery 2 weeks prior it felt a little long at times, but I'm sure when I'm back to "normal" I wouldn't mind the distance. Easy to cross the street and walk along the opposite side of Harbor and avoid the mass of people further down.
The overall feel of the grounds is nice, the buildings look well maintained as did the hallways and common areas. I didn't use the pool but saw several people do so despite the rainy weather.
I would totally stay again!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank CariBelle
Reviewed 23 March 2011

Once again had a great time at D-Land and loved our home in Anaheim...the HOJO. In our estimation, you can't beat the location, and the price. McD's across the street. Mimi's Cafe. 6 min. walk to the Park. Coffee maker, Micro, Mini fridge cold enough to freeze your juice pouches for the next day. Friendly staff that are always willing to help, and a gift shop with almost anything you need...seriously...this store is a trip...they have everything. We go to D-land often, 6 times last year, and for our dollars we like the HOJO. We also love the Mattercam live webcam on their website when we cant be there. FREE parking also. Adding another member to the family in June so we'll see you all in December when we will be staying in the special "Kid's Suite". We will be sure to post on how it is.

2  Thank daddy808
Reviewed 23 March 2011

This is a great place to stay with children Great water area for the kids with spa so we can watch the kids while relaxing handy to Disneyland and all food places rooms have fridge and there is a Laundry to get washing down and dried Front desk staff were helpful and always had a smile on their faces

1  Thank kdzbuz