“Close to Disneyland”

Ranked #15 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Melbourne, Australia
“Close to Disneyland”
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I selected this accommodation after reading reviews on tripadvisor and close proximity to Disneyland
~10mins walk in the morning and ~20mins walk (more like crawling after walking all day in Disneyland) in the evening :)

I paid extra for a room overlooking Disneyland but could do away with it as I was at Disneyland the whole time. As we visited during Thanksgiving week, Disneyland was opened till midnight the whole week and we did stay till midnight.

Room facilities is good but room is a bit dated.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MelbPk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (812)
  • Czech first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 December 2011

The walk was no problem to Disney. It's a little faster it you cut through mimis restraint parking lot. I had a kids suite on the 3rd floor right in front of the I-5 and it was not noise at all you have to be listening for the traffic noise so not an issue. You could not hear the people beside you. The kids suite was updated lots of room for your luggage. Very clean. The house keeping was a little late the first day so I tip them and there were the first thing and did a great job. The only bad thing I would have to say and I'm just looking for something bad to say is that you can hear the fireworks at night. The inter net wi-fi signal is not great. The store in the hotel is ok. I bought DVD hook up wires to connect to the tv but the tv dose not let you do that so they should not be selling wires at the store. And the store only has can pop and not much juice. They need bottle pop(soda).
Great place to go on a vacation you won't regret it.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Grezky99
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 5 December 2011

During our recent visit to Disneyland, we had the chance to stay at the Howard Johnson's Anaheim hotel. While our most recent visits had us staying at one of the Disney properties, we decided to look at some of Disney's Good Neighbor hotels and were very happy with what we found.

The hotel is located a pleasant 10-15 min. walk from the main gates of both Disney parks and has various restaurants and fast food options nearby. I was a little early for check-in, but the very helpful staff handed me a coupon book for a nearby restaurant and offered to check my baggage so I may go about my errands until the room was ready.

My baggage was speedily made available to me upon my return. The room was highly enjoyable and offered a view of the pirate-themed water playground as well as the Matterhorn which allowed me to take in the evenings fireworks from the balcony.

The two comfy queen size beds were a very welcome sight after a long day as was the small dinette and chairs. There was still ample room for a desk. The room also came equipped with a mini fridge and microwave and a very-much appreciated Kuerig coffeemaker complete with coffee cartridges for an easy morning wake-up.

The hotel offered complimentary local calls and wi-fi which I used to get settled in as I enjoyed some television, which included HBO in an on-demand movie service. Later that evening I checked out the hotel's gift shop which is adjacent to a video arcade and was extremely impressed with not only the reasonable prices but the diversity of products offered. Everything from souvenirs to health and beauty goods, as well as a wide selection of food and beverages, was available.

In one instance I had asked if they had anything like Salon-Pas for a stiff back following a long day of driving and park rides. The hotel not only had them in stock but at a very reasonable price. They also have a nice variety of Kuerig cartridges for those wishing for something more than the complimentary flavors provided in-room. During our stay, the shop became our only choice whenever we needed beverages or sundry items. Simply put I have never seen such a well-stocked convenience store in any hotel ever.

Being a Good Neighbor Hotel, Disneyland offers the ability to buy your theme park tickets on location. While I did not have need for it on this trip it is an extremely valuable service and I definitely like seeing the vintage Disneyland ride posters in the lobby which underscored the long-standing relationship the hotel has with the park.

When my wife and nephews arrived we were pleased to see that there was a second pool available in addition to the water park area. Helpful wake up calls got us up early enough to be at the park at opening. When we returned in the early afternoon for a break, it was very refreshing to find our rooms already cleaned and made up so we could get some rest before heading back to the parks.

I try to use the strategy of getting there early, taking an afternoon break, and then returning in the evening to fully enjoy Disneyland when we visit during the hotter and far more crowded summer months. The close proximity to Disneyland made it very easy to walk over to the hotel for some rest or relaxation, which is exactly what we needed. A few hours rest had us primed to close the park at midnight and allowed us to really enjoy the final hours of our visit in a well-rested state.

Check-out was extremely smooth, and despite my wife’s packing expertise, we realized that we had left something behind halfway home. A quick call to the hotel confirmed that they had the item, which they promptly shipped to us.

It was very nice to find such a relaxing and enjoyable hotel that offered amazing proximity to the parks yet the peace and quiet desired when one wants a break from Mickey mania. The free parking was a very nice feature as was the hotel’s very close proximity to the I-5 freeway entrance which made my trips to Santa Ana’s John Wayne Airport to pick up my wife and nephews very easy.

I highly recommend this hotel to anybody visiting Anaheim and especially for those looking for great value and amenities when visiting Disneyland.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Garethmb
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 30 November 2011

This hotel does the job. Staff are friendly and helpful, with a 10 minute walk to Disneyland entrance. Mimi's cafe is across the road and serves a good sized meal, although we found ourselves eating at MIllie's for breakfast as we found the food better there. We didnt use the pool, but it looked fine. This hotel is good value for money.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank redz81
High River, Canada
Reviewed 28 November 2011

This hotels was great! The staff are friendly, hotels is clean and has a great pool/play area for kids. My 5 and 7 year olds had a great time when we went to the pool area with the water play ground and play area. There is a small heated pool for the smaller kids which they also took advantage of.
There is a small store in the hotels with basic's like individual cereals, candy, juice, milk, water ect. as well as some novelties items (tshirt, key chains).
Its about a 10 minute walk to the disney park entrance.
You can see the fire works from the hotels as well.
You pass a great restaurant on the corner (Mimis cafe) it has really good food, fair pricing, friendly staff.
The only thing that we didnt like was that our room was at the back of the hotel and we really could hear the freeway. But we got used to it and was in the end no big deal.
We would definatly stay here again!

Room Tip: the back of the hotel was a bit loud but really didnt bother us to much in the end. For us we just...
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Shellya23
Hojoanaheim, General Manager at Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Dear Shellya23:

I’m delighted that your recent visit to Disneyland and your stay with us at Howard Johnson Anaheim was such a great experience! I’m also thrilled to announce the progress of our soundproofing window project for freeway-facing rooms, such as yours, on floors 1-6 in Building #1. These rooms are now remarkably quiet, and we just have 10 rooms to complete on the 7th floor (they are a bit more complicated). We really are on a mission to provide the best service, quality, and value for families visiting Disneyland, and we’re always looking for new ways to improve our product. Thanks for your feedback!

Jonathan Whitehead
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Adequate and inexpensive. Clean rooms with a quick walk to Disneyland (and I am very lazy). There is a busy road on one side but it really cant be heard from inside the room. The staff were lovely and accomodating at all times and didnt spank me for checking out 1 hour late. (Much appreciated).

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank StaceyBelushi
Roundup, Montana
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Our family was in three rooms Two garden view queens (bldg 2) and one king (bldg 1). The rooms were clean and very spacious. The location is ideal. About a 10 minute walk depending on traffic signals. It is faster to cross Harbor at Manchester then along the Park, cutting thru ART area. Less congestion. Our granddaughter became ill and the front desk recommended the UCal Irvine Medical Center. It was a great caring medical facility. That evening she vomited in her bed. Within 15 minutes housekeeping came and remade the bed. THANK YOU. The rooms were quiet keeping in mind the relative closeness to Harbor Blvd and I-5. One slight complaint was what appears to be some mold on the upper part of shower. Not having a continental breakfast was not missed. No hassles for food and recommend Mimis for eating. Will stay here again if the opportunity arises.

Room Tip: Queen rooms appear more spacious than doubles.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family