“Go Hojo (again and again)!”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #18 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
San Francisco, CA
“Go Hojo (again and again)!”
Reviewed 23 December 2011

This has been our favorite place to stay for over 5 years now. I wrote a review several years ago about their great customer service, but we have stayed at least a dozen times since then so I feel it is time for an updated review. Our favorite features of this place: Free parking and plenty of it, free wifi that works great, same walking distance to the entrance of Disneyland as the Disneyland Hotel, a large jacuzzi that is open until midnight, and a variety of types of rooms for different needs and different budgets.

Huge budget or very large group:large suites not usually listed online, call for info

Low budget: rooms for 4 for less than $100 - but they are often on the highway side. This can be a great deal, if the traffic noise does not bother you.

Medium budgets: Deluxe and Premium rooms. The premium rooms often have a Disney view and are quite nice. We found the deluxe rooms similiar, but without the Disney view.

A tip on saving $ - they offer several discounts-AAA and annual passholders are the ones we usually use, but I suggest you call and ask what they offer if these do not apply to you.

A note on breakfast: This property does not serve breakfast, they don't need to. They have a great gift shop with many snacks, cereals, sandwiches and microwave cuisine. If this won't do, they are a dozen restaurants between the Hojo and the park on your walk. If you cross Manchester, the small side road in front of the hotel office, there is a Mimis and Millies and both seem comfortable packing stuff to go. A Dennys, Ihop, Mcdonalds, and a few others can be reached in a very easy walk, less than 3-5 minutes by foot.

Keep in mind that in reality, any hotel that serves breakfast includes it in their cost, one way or another and we just rarely find it to be convenient or a good value. We are either sleeping in from a late night and skipping breakfast, or going for a really early morning, way before many hotels even start their breakfast

Other perks: a cool pirate themed playground, fridges, coffee pots, and microwaves in all rooms, clean rooms with great bedding, and it is rather quiet for a Disney area property due to the indoor corridors.

This place is always our 1st choice. When we stay anywhere else by Disneyland, we find that they rarely live up to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank mzjuniebug

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (822)
  • Czech first
Reviewed 23 December 2011

I am an annual passholder at Disneyland. My family am I have made 4 trips this year to the park. We have stayed at 5 different hotels since we got our passes. This was by far the worst one we have stayed in!

Before our trip we read all the reviews and decided we would give this place a try. BIG mistake! First we paid for the upgraded premium room with a park view. What a rip off, we had a view of the other buildings roof, an overgrown tree, and the tip of the Matterhorn. When it came to watching the fireworks, my family of 4 had to all cram ourselves into the far corner of the balcony and lean around a tree to get a partial view of the show.

Second, the room was pretty small for "premium". The bathroom was tiny and out dated. Nothing like the photos on the website (which were very miss leading). The doorway was so narrow that the luggage cart did not fit through the door with the luggage on it. Which we did not find out until my husband had the cart all loaded up to checkout!

Third, if you like it quiet when you want to sleep or relax, this is not the place for you! The freeway noise is almost unbearable. It was so loud that I got up to double check that the balcony door did not accidentally get left open!

Fourth, the maid service was about the worst I have ever encountered. One morning we had breakfast from McDonald's in our room. We picked up all our trash, or so I thought, but when my 10 yr old and 5 yr old got into bed that night they got a surprise! When my daughter pulled the sheets back she found a smashed hashbrown between the sheets that had been made into the bed. Not only that, there was also an empty Disney bag and our younger daughter's shirt also made into the bed! I don't think they are my personal housekeepers but I do think they should have noticed garbage and food in a bed before they made it! Also the sign in the bathroom said to help conserve please hang up the towels you want to reuse, which we did. The maid took them all and didn't leave extras even though she clearly took 6. (This is really the least of my complaints).

Finally, I booked this room using the Howard Johnson website. My room rate was quoted at $147. per night. About 3 weeks after I made my reservation I saw a posting on the mouse savers website that Howard Johnson offers 20% off to annual passholders. I called right away and the person I spoke with was very helpful and said she was putting that note on my reservation. So for 3 nights my room was going to cost just over $400. (after taxes and resort fees). Well when I went to checkout, my bill came to well over $500! The woman who was helping me was very cold and obviously didn't want to have interaction with customers. She didn't even ask how our stay was! I waited until she was gone and I went back in to have someone else help my with the over charge. The man who helped me tried to be helpful, but he made me pull my confirmation up on my phone to prove that I was originally quoted a different rate. Then when I asked about the passholder rate that really threw him through a loop. He stared at his computer for awhile then went to the back for awhile then finally came back and credited my account $91 dollars. So the reservation person I originally spoke to never added the discount then the hotel tried to overcharge me by almost $100 for one of the worst rooms I have ever stayed in!

• Stayed December 2011
13 Thank Jenjen1677
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 23 December 2011

This is the hotel we will stay at for our Disneyland trips from now on. We have stayed at other nearby hotels and none of them compare in terms of cleanliness. The proximity to the park is excellent. We were able to get to the park in 8 minutes walking. The grounds of the hotel are wonderfully landscaped. Also, unlike other hotels close to Disneyland, this is not a motel. There are actual hallways. We stayed in a room in building 2 that overlooked the pool area. One major plus is that the beds have all white sheets and duvet covers (no yucky coverlets that often go unwashed). The bathroom could use some updating, but other than that, we found this to be the best value for closeness to Disneyland and a lovely experience. Front desk staff was friendly and we were able to get our room early at 9:30am. Coming in from an early flight, it was nice to refresh before we headed to the park. There is no restaurant or eatery in the hotel, but it is right next to Mimi's Cafe and a short walk to McDonald's. There is a gift shop and we just bought individual cereal cups, milk, and fruit and ate that for breakfast each morning. In the room, there is free wifi, refrigerator, microwave, and a Keurig coffeemaker. I will be recommending this to family and friends who want to be close to Disneyland and have a comfortable stay.

1 Thank arizonat
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We stayed at the Hojo the first night of our week long Disneyland holiday. Since we arrived on a Saturday, and weren't planning to go to Disneyland until the Sunday, I thought it would be fun to watch the fireworks from our hotel room. I booked a park view room and requested the highest floor possible. I think we were on the 7th floor. Check in and check out was easy, and the staff were nice and friendly. The room itself was a little dated and tired looking, but was comfortable, and the view was incredible! Some of the lower floors may have had their views a little obstructed by trees. It was lovely sitting out on the balcony watching the fireworks in our pjs. Just being one night, we didn't get much chance to check out the rest of the hotel, but the pool area looked awesome! There was also a large gift shop with a great range - I actually went back there during the week to buy some things! It was a nice easy walk to Disneyland too.

Room Tip: If you want a great view of Disneyland ask for a room on one of the highest floors.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zanzibar138
Clearfield, Utah, United States
Reviewed 22 December 2011

After reading so many glowing reviews, I was excited to stay at the HoJo. It did not disapoint. We arrived a little early for the checkin time, and our rooms were ready so we were already happy. The front desk staff was super nice, and they accommedated our request for connecting rooms. We had a Standard King ADA room and a Double Double room. They work perfectly for our needs. My husband, daughter and I were very comfortable in the King room, with the free crib for the little one. The bed was super comfortable, and the pillows were awesome. I don't think I have ever slept so well in a hotel while on vacation. Bravo to the HoJo for having such wonderful accommedations.

We got the Entertainment Rate, so it was ver affordable, and if we can get such a great rate again, we will not hesitiate to book athe the Hojo Anaheim. The only thing I wish they had was a continetal breakfast, but we just got some stuff and out in the room fridge to solve that problem.

Room Tip: We were in Bulding three, and it was super quiet.
2 Thank Wendi C
Australia
Reviewed 21 December 2011

We stayed at Hojos for one week in Nov/Dec 2011. Found the hotel to be great value for money - very clean and tidy. We had a decent size room with two double beds. Must say the beds were fantastic. Very comfortable. We were on the freeway side, noticed the noise on the second night but pretty much tuned it out after that. Wasnt as loud as i thought it would be based on the reviews on here. The shop is located at Hojos is great, has everything from souvenirs, food, drink & stamps. And the ladies who work in there are great to have a chat with.

Check in was painless. We had requested ajoining rooms with our two travelling companions while we were adivised at the time of booking these couldnt be guaranteed but when we arrived after our nghaul flight we were advised we could have the rooms but they wouldnt be ready until after 4pm. we opted for two separate rooms on the same floor but they did allow early check in which was great. The reception staff were always very friendly and helpful and assisted us with booking tours or asking for directions.

Best thing about Hojo's is the location. Obviously its very close to Disneyland. Didnt take us long at all to walk over there. There are also alot restaurants/shops near by. There is a McDonalds, Dennys, IHOP and several other fastfood type restaurants within one block of Hojos. Great for early breakfasts or late dinners. The Gardenwalk shopping centre is about a block or so away. That has a johnny rockets, cheescake factory and california pizza kitchen. So there is definately options to eat that are close by. There are also small minimart/7 elevens around too.

We also used the Amtrak station to take several day trips to LA. - including Universal Studios and Santa Monica. The station is a short taxi ride from Hojos (around $10us) or the Anaheim Rapid Trasit (ART) bus stops there also. very clean station and great services to Union Station which connects with the Metro red Line We made it from Anaheim to Universal studios in just under two hours with the whole round trip journey costing us $27us!.

Love Hojos. Would definately stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank kiwimeggles
Elk Grove, California
Reviewed 20 December 2011

We stayed at Hojo's for two nights in December. Overall it was a great stay. The hotel is a quick 8 minute walk from the gates of Disneyland. The rooms were a good size, clean and bright. The beds and pillows were super comfy. A crib was provided to us free of charge. Our room had an amazing view of the matterhorn and monorail. The inroom coffe was the best we've had in a hotel. The bathroom tile was definitely retro with its orange flowers but I really liked it. It didn't look old, it looked cute! The elevators in building one were nice and fast. Never had a problem waiting for the elevator. The store in building one was well stocked with everything from apple juice to cortaid. The staff at the front desk and in the store were very pleasant when we spoke with them. The kids pool looked like a lot of fun! A spring/summer trip is now needed so my daughter can try it out. There is no free breakfast here if you require that. We did just fine with yogurt and poptarts in our room that we brought from home. Also, even though we didn have a room facing away from the highway, the highway noise was always there. If you're sensitive to noise this may bother you. For me it basically turned into a white noise of sorts and I was fine with it. Though there are hotels that are closer on Harbor Blvd to Disneyland, the walk from this one really isn't that bad. Not sure if I would say the same if we had stayed here on a longer trip but for our short trip it was fine. I wold not hesitate to stay here again and I'm sure we'll be back.

1 Thank kirstie101