“Average hotel in good location”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #14 of 117 Hotels in Anaheim
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Average hotel in good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

I recently stayed three nights at the Howard Johnson while going to Disneyland.

The room itself was nice. Nothing spectacular, but also nothing to complain about. The grounds were nicely decorated for Christmas, and the staff at the front desk were really nice and helpful.

The location was really good - It was close enough that it only took 5-10 minutes to walk to Disneyland, but it was still a fair walk back to the hotel if you forgot something that you would need for the day in Disneyland. There are also quite a few good restaurants within easy walking distance.

I would stay here again

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Megan H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
  • Czech first
Yackandandah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

This place has so many excellent reviews it really doesn't need mine too but I'll add it anyway.

The location is ideal - a 5 minute walk to the main entrance to Disneyland. The rooms are really big so even though there were four of us in the room we didn't feel squashed.

Although it was a bit cold when we visited to use the pools (and we were busy across the road) they did look good.

The only thing I would suggest is to bring some provisions with you because although they have small shops on the premises for things like milk, cereal etc, the prices are quite high.

Overall though, a great place.

1 Thank guykb
Noosa, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

We (myslef and boyfriend, early 20's, no kids) selected this hotel due to it's location and good reviews. All we were after was a reasonably priced, decent hotel within walking distance to the Disneyland entrance, and Hojo's ticked all the boxes.

There was free wifi included, which we were not expecting. There was also a small fridge and microwave in the room.

The rooms were clean and comfortable but I would rate them at a 3-3.5 star level, they are very plain and outdated.

We were in a room in the buildling closest to the freeway but we could not hear a thing.

The jacuzzi was useful, we usually came back to the hotel for a break from DL in the afternoons and went in the jacuzzi to ease our sore feet!

If your requirements are similar to ours than I would not hesitate in recommending Hojo's.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stelle-89
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

This was our first stay at the HoJo. The hotel is clean, well organized and close to local restaurants and the Disney Parks. This hotel is family fun- it has a built in water park (kid pool, water play area, hot tub and separate adult pool) and a 24 hr on site store for snacks food etc. The rooms have coffee stations, fridge and microwave. Some rooms are less quiet nearer the pool, but we had no issue and the 10 PM pool curfew is strongly enforced. This hotel is great for families on a budget that want both great value and proximity to the Disney parks. The only downside to the hotel is that if you walk (you can pay $2 for ART shuttle) it is a 10 minute walk and you must cross Harbor Blvd. We liked it and would stay again. The pools were not heated but were warm enough to swim in Dec.

Room Tip: request room not facing I-5.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2011

We upgraded to one of the premium rooms so we could get a nice view of the Disneyland resort. We appreciate the fridge, microwave and balcony, however I expected a better experience than what I got. It began with a heater that didn't work, then the safe didn't work and the remote for the TV wasn't the right one for the TV. The heater didn't get fixed since they couldn't figure out the problem, their solution was to give me a room that was lower quality or use a space heater and give us extra blankets. We didn't feel like moving all of our stuff and weren't going to get a discount on the room since it was prepaid, so we opted for a space heater. The space heater is so loud though that it woke us up every time it would turn back on. The safe was fixed, but I was promised a new remote and it was never sent. The room was clean, but it's outdated, the so-called high speed internet is slow and has patchy service, no breakfast is provided (unlike many of the other hotels around here) rooms are drafty and I expected better customer service from the staff when I was having so many issues.

2 Thank CaliTrav777
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

This has been our favorite place to stay for over 5 years now. I wrote a review several years ago about their great customer service, but we have stayed at least a dozen times since then so I feel it is time for an updated review. Our favorite features of this place: Free parking and plenty of it, free wifi that works great, same walking distance to the entrance of Disneyland as the Disneyland Hotel, a large jacuzzi that is open until midnight, and a variety of types of rooms for different needs and different budgets.

Huge budget or very large group:large suites not usually listed online, call for info

Low budget: rooms for 4 for less than $100 - but they are often on the highway side. This can be a great deal, if the traffic noise does not bother you.

Medium budgets: Deluxe and Premium rooms. The premium rooms often have a Disney view and are quite nice. We found the deluxe rooms similiar, but without the Disney view.

A tip on saving $ - they offer several discounts-AAA and annual passholders are the ones we usually use, but I suggest you call and ask what they offer if these do not apply to you.

A note on breakfast: This property does not serve breakfast, they don't need to. They have a great gift shop with many snacks, cereals, sandwiches and microwave cuisine. If this won't do, they are a dozen restaurants between the Hojo and the park on your walk. If you cross Manchester, the small side road in front of the hotel office, there is a Mimis and Millies and both seem comfortable packing stuff to go. A Dennys, Ihop, Mcdonalds, and a few others can be reached in a very easy walk, less than 3-5 minutes by foot.

Keep in mind that in reality, any hotel that serves breakfast includes it in their cost, one way or another and we just rarely find it to be convenient or a good value. We are either sleeping in from a late night and skipping breakfast, or going for a really early morning, way before many hotels even start their breakfast

Other perks: a cool pirate themed playground, fridges, coffee pots, and microwaves in all rooms, clean rooms with great bedding, and it is rather quiet for a Disney area property due to the indoor corridors.

This place is always our 1st choice. When we stay anywhere else by Disneyland, we find that they rarely live up to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank mzjuniebug
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

I am an annual passholder at Disneyland. My family am I have made 4 trips this year to the park. We have stayed at 5 different hotels since we got our passes. This was by far the worst one we have stayed in!

Before our trip we read all the reviews and decided we would give this place a try. BIG mistake! First we paid for the upgraded premium room with a park view. What a rip off, we had a view of the other buildings roof, an overgrown tree, and the tip of the Matterhorn. When it came to watching the fireworks, my family of 4 had to all cram ourselves into the far corner of the balcony and lean around a tree to get a partial view of the show.

Second, the room was pretty small for "premium". The bathroom was tiny and out dated. Nothing like the photos on the website (which were very miss leading). The doorway was so narrow that the luggage cart did not fit through the door with the luggage on it. Which we did not find out until my husband had the cart all loaded up to checkout!

Third, if you like it quiet when you want to sleep or relax, this is not the place for you! The freeway noise is almost unbearable. It was so loud that I got up to double check that the balcony door did not accidentally get left open!

Fourth, the maid service was about the worst I have ever encountered. One morning we had breakfast from McDonald's in our room. We picked up all our trash, or so I thought, but when my 10 yr old and 5 yr old got into bed that night they got a surprise! When my daughter pulled the sheets back she found a smashed hashbrown between the sheets that had been made into the bed. Not only that, there was also an empty Disney bag and our younger daughter's shirt also made into the bed! I don't think they are my personal housekeepers but I do think they should have noticed garbage and food in a bed before they made it! Also the sign in the bathroom said to help conserve please hang up the towels you want to reuse, which we did. The maid took them all and didn't leave extras even though she clearly took 6. (This is really the least of my complaints).

Finally, I booked this room using the Howard Johnson website. My room rate was quoted at $147. per night. About 3 weeks after I made my reservation I saw a posting on the mouse savers website that Howard Johnson offers 20% off to annual passholders. I called right away and the person I spoke with was very helpful and said she was putting that note on my reservation. So for 3 nights my room was going to cost just over $400. (after taxes and resort fees). Well when I went to checkout, my bill came to well over $500! The woman who was helping me was very cold and obviously didn't want to have interaction with customers. She didn't even ask how our stay was! I waited until she was gone and I went back in to have someone else help my with the over charge. The man who helped me tried to be helpful, but he made me pull my confirmation up on my phone to prove that I was originally quoted a different rate. Then when I asked about the passholder rate that really threw him through a loop. He stared at his computer for awhile then went to the back for awhile then finally came back and credited my account $91 dollars. So the reservation person I originally spoke to never added the discount then the hotel tried to overcharge me by almost $100 for one of the worst rooms I have ever stayed in!

13 Thank Jenjen1677