“Great nights sleep”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #19 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This is the second time I've stayed in this hotel and both times the staff has been friendly and efficient. Although I arrived 3hrs before check-in they were very accomodating and had a room ready. The hotel is older so constant need for maintenance is evident just like with any hotel, but our room was clean and comfortable. Only maintenance needed that I noted in the room was the walls were a bit marred from suitcases hitting them etc. but NOT a big deal for me. Fridge was a little small for us, as we were there for 3 days, and leftovers can accumulate, but I was just happy to have one, and was able to consolidate to make it work. Even though we stayed in building 2 right next to I-5 I never heard the traffic from inside the room, we were over the garden pool and this also was not a noise issue. Beds were VERY comfortable, and didn't hear any noise from other guests in other rooms above or next door. My son loved the pirate cove kids area, and the garden pool. Cushions could use some refreshing at the garden pool, but overall very nice. Grounds were well kept and neat also. Proximity to Disney was nice, not right across from the entrance like some hotels boast, but very easy walk.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jennifer G
Write a ReviewReviews (7,754)

Reviewed 9 July 2012

If your looking for a nice hotel across from Disneyland this is a great option. The pool for kids is great when you need a break from Disneyland and there are several restaurants as you take the 10 minute walk to the front Disneyland entry gates. The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank evets_9
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The pool area was great for the kids (6 and 4) and we had a lot of nice dinners at the restaurants that are within walking distance. We also enjoyed walking to Disneyland and not having to pay for parking there. There was a parking fee at the hotel, but we found every hotel charged. Our room was in a building being renovated, so maybe the rooms will be better. It was just old, outdated and we did not like the skylights which hindered the kids from napping.
Overall a great price and the pool was nice, and closness to Disneyland helped offset the icky room.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Alicia S
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The spray park is exceptionally well done, and was a huge hit with our 6 yo & 8 yo. The beauty of the spray park is that it is interactive and actually entertains the kids (my kids often beg me to swim with them in pools, but in the spray park i could join in when i felt like it).

The room was clean & comfortable, but note that the entire hotel is right next to I-5, and it is busy all night. Not sure if all the rooms are like this, but we had a first floor room that faced I-5, and even with the freeway sound barrier I could hear it all through the night. A few trucks would even give the bed tiny shakes. i didn't sleep that well the first night, but the other 3 nights slept fine (after being worn out from disneyland).

The disneyland access is excellent, and was an easy walk for our kids. And the entire hotel is full of families, so think twice about staying here if you don't want kids everywhere. Despite kids being everywhere, I never heard kid noise at inappropriate times or heard any noise from any of the families staying around us.

I wouldn't stay here if I weren't going to Disneyland (as I'd stay farther away from the freeway), and I wouldn't stay here if I didn't want the spray park (as you can get a similar pool & room elsewhere, and again, I'd get farther away from the freeway). But if you want family fun and an easy walk to disneyland, this hotel is the best.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank kirk m
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I got the entertainment book deal for this hotel ($69/night), which was way under what other hotels in the area charged. I had read the reviews and was ready to check this place out. Not a disappointment! A great place! The pirate pool was a hit with the kids (6,8,10,11) and an added plus was you can see the Disneyland fireworks, so no need to stand in the crowd at the park. We could sit in the hot tub and enjoy! The room was clean and the service was fabulous! We ordered grocery delivery and they held it in the fridge until we arrived. The grounds were beautiful. It was about 1 long block to disneyland, but the kids did fine with the walk. There are several restaurants (Mimi's and McDonalds) between the hotel and the park. It was great! We will definitely return on our next Disneyland visit! Oh and ps.... The mattresses are wonderful. I have never slept so good away from home!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank cassieg_11
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Arrived June 30 and stayed 5 days. Check in was pretty easy staff for the most part friendly. On site parking was a minor challenge but ample spots. Rooms were just okay enough room for the kids an I beds were comfortable small fridge in the room was a nice touch. Walking distance to Disneyland was a huge plus an close to restaurants.
The negatives, for me I required a strong Internet signal & in today we all have smartphones, iPads an computers. I still had to do work email. Even though they offer free wifi, the connection in,our building (1) was the worst most of the time would not connect. The bathrooms were old and the tile in our room were dirty. The air condition unit made so much noise you had to turn it off to sleep. No help from the staff to fix those items. The groundskeepers made sure to fire up the blowers and weed wackers at 7:00am.
Mixed: The play pool is definitely for kids 8 an under and the adult pool is small and only to 5 feet.
Overall a good hotel if you want to be close to Disneyland and have young kids under 10 they just need to address a few shortcomings.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I am a travel consultant a had a large group booked into this hotel. Our check in for 94 people was so quick and efficient which was needed after the long flight from Sydney to LA. The staff are extremely coutous and helpful. Loaction is fantastic wih plenty of choices for places to eat and they ar all extremely well priced. The rooms themselves are quite a good comfortable size and were clean. The kids loved the pool / water play area. You can get breakfast cereals etcfrom the shops narby if you want to have a smple breakfast in your room or you can eat out at any of the restaurants that are right across the road. Of course the major benefit is the close proximity to Disneyland so if the kids get tired you can pop back and let them have a rest before hitting the park up again for all the night action.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends