“Good but not 5 star”

Ranked #18 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Good but not 5 star”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

After much research of every hotel across the street from The Disney resorts and based on all the really good Tripadvisor reviews, my family of four just stayed for 5 nights at HoJo. It's a good hotel but not great. Hotel could definitely use freshening up as walls had black streak marks, furniture appeared worn, & bathroom ceiling had spots where paint was peeling. All not major issues but factors into the overall feel.

We had a high floor room facing the freeway in building 1 and the great thing was, you could barely hear the cars driving. The bad part was the floors are somewhat thin so we could hear neighbors above stomping around very easily. I'm not joking when I say it sounded like really loud base in a car was going off with the jumping & running that kept me up. I had to call the front desk a couple of nights to ask for them to call above.
The bathroom is small. Could barely maneuver around the door it give my kids baths & I am not a big person. There is 1 sink in the bathroom & another sink just outside.

They actually have a little sign that says if you can't give 5 stars on Tripadvisor, let them know & they will make it right. Although I can appreciate that, it just didn't make sense to me to repack everything I had unpacked to get moved to another room that probably wasn't going to be much better.

The walk wasn't too bad but there were a couple of times where I thought it would've been very convenient to have stayed directly across the street. The extra couple hundred feet can make a difference & I'm in pretty good shape.

We didn't take advantage of the water park but it looked really fun for kids. The convenience store inside building 1 was very well stocked. It wasn't the typical little store with just some basics. It had a good amount of food items as well as Disney souvenirs.

Overall, a decent stay at good rates but not sure if I would stay again. May possibly consider reserving the 2 room bunkbed suite for next year or try the Double Tree down the street as I have had great experiences with Hilton hotels.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (815)
  • Czech first
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

The rooms were great, serviced daily. The front desk service was excellent. The water park is excellent as a break from walking around Disney. Great location to CAL and DL just a short walk. If you stay near roadside the highway is quite noisy but not a bother for us personally. We enjoyed our time here and great restaurants that cater for families within 2 min walks.

Stayed March 2014
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My husband and I had an awesome trip to Disneyland from New Zealand with our 3 adult sons, their partners and 3 grand children to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary. Accommodation at Howard Johnson was the best. Beds were incredibly comfortable but I found the light through the top windows distracting.
The Mainstreet market was stocked with very useful items for our family.
We enjoyed Mimi's Cafe for both dining in and take out. Prices were very reasonable at Mimi's and the food selection, taste and service were excellent.
We transferred to a Marriott Hotel and All of our party agreed that the Howard Johnson far exceeded the standard we experienced at the Marriot.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stay there for 3 nights with my family and friends. ..All I can say I did very good choice to stay at Howard Johnson Anaheim. ..First of all the staff are so
Friendly the restaurant are everywhere. ..The disneyland it self is walking distance. ..And my kids loving so much the pirate cove...which is at the back of our hotel...Is just love at first sight...we are planning to go back so soon and we will choose same Hotel!

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Canberra
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We chose this motel for our week in Anaheim as it was away from the constant Disney themes and provided so much alternate fun for the kids. We were delighted in what we found there. The water playground was wonderful, as was the large main pool close to our room. Rooms were generously sized, and the helpful reception staff allowed us early access after our overnight flight.
No on-site restaurant, but spoiled for choice within a 5 minute walk (Mimi's was closest and one of the best). Less than 10 minutes to Disneyland Main Gate made returns to the hotel possible during the day which suits couples with small children in tow.
As a foreigner driving in LA I was pleased that the access off the I-5 was so easy. Having a car gave us more options to explore the area from our Anaheim base.