“Ok stay, NO MORNING OFFERINGS!!!”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #19 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 23 August 2014

My family and I have stayed at each building at this hotel at some point. We really enjoy building one facing Disney or Building 2. Buildings 3-6 have natural light coming into the room which can brighten your day earlier than you would have liked. Parts of building one can face the 5 which is NOISY!!! Building 2 is tucked away even though it is by the 5 it does not allow the thunderous noise of the 5 to carry into the building or rooms. We usually do not have problems with cleanliness, however recently we did find some small things that needed to be gone before our arrival. Now as far as hotels on this strip it still ranks very, very high. It has some pros and cons as all hotels do. Major pros for us is walking distance to the parks, free parking and extended parking after check out, the pools allow enjoyment for everyone, most rooms (exception corner rooms in buildings 3-6) are large enough for a family of 5. Our cons are simple ones, there is no morning offerings not even a banana, you can buy a banana in building one at the Main St. shop, but c'mon how much does it cost to put some fruit and bagels out?, another con is the prices have gotten steeper over the year at times we have decided to pay the extra 100 a night to stay on property who offers free parking and no morning offerings also:), the rooms are dated, however they do call themselves the retro hotel so please do not think your room is going to have the frills and thrills of a Cali hotel. After staying at several hotels in California of many stars and locations. I can now determine this hotel to be a trip advisor 3.5 of 5. They strive for 5 and there are some 5 parts of the hotel which are 5's but with the rising room costs and lack of offerings I have to determine this hotel to be a 3.5. When we find a great promotion or can use a code we will def. be back. However, do not be afraid to look throughout Harbor blvd or Disney property esp. during high seasons. You will get less retro, a banana and free parking:)

Room Tip: Building 2 or Building 1 facing Disney, no first fl.
2  Thank airblue1
Hojoanaheim, HoJo Anaheim Guest Care Team at Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear airblue1,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us! We are so glad you and your family took advantage of our close proximity to the Disney parks and enjoyed our pool areas. We are so disappointed to hear that you were not completely satisfied during your stay. Although we do not have breakfast, there is a Mimi’s Café right across the street from our lobby. They have a great kids menu and serve an amazing breakfast! Our room rates are all based on seasonality, during our busy summer peak season our rates do tend to be higher. We are always working on new ways to improve our facilities and delight our hotel Guests. Thank you for your feedback, it will help us continue providing the best service, quality, and value.

Kind regards,

HoJo Anaheim Guest Care Team

Write a ReviewReviews (7,835)

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Perfect location for those wishing to visit Disneyland, and also offers a fantastic place to view the fireworks. There is an on-site gift shop in Building 1 and although the prices are slightly high, you will find anything you need, and the Disney merchandise is definitely cheaper than the souvenirs available there. The rooms were very clean and spacious while also being quiet enough to get a good night's sleep.
Visited August 2014

1  Thank StephSeesTheWorld
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I've stayed across the street from the entrance, near the back entrance(via Hotel Californian) and I will say, Hojo Anaheim has got most everything you want and need. Great rates, free parking, great front desk, thorough cleaning staff, swimming pool, water structures and slides, and a short walk to Disneyland's front entrance. We had a double stroller daily and the walk was a breeze. The only thing that would make this a top spot for us, the complimentary breakfast others offer. But we knew this beforehand and booked because the water structure was a big benefit. Mid-day return from Disneyland, the kids can chill for a bit at the pool or water park.

We booked the queen bed with bunk. The bunk was GREAT, especially the top bunk with high rails. The minus, the rail rattles when your child moves because the rail locks in place and unlocks for the staff when they need to clean. Because the rail is not built "in place", it rattles. Little annoying but not a big issue. The room was smaller than most because we stayed in one where the room door was not along the hallway, it was about 5 to 6 feet "sunken in" from the hallway so we lost some sq footage.

1  Thank willemchea
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I chose to visit Disneyland to round off what had been my first trip around California and stayed at the Howard Johnson Anaheim. I was made to feel so incredibly welcome from everyone at the front desk. They were so friendly and asked questions about where I was from, what I was planning to do etc. They had far more 'Disney Sparkle' than many of the actual Disney employees! I was given maps and useful local information that included transport options and local restaurants, all really helpful advice for a first time visitor. I had a Disneyland Park fireworks view room in building one. The room had 2 Queen beds, a balcony, a microwave, coffee maker, free wifi and a free fridge which was very handy! The bathroom was well appointed and there was a second vanity sink in the room. I was unfairly expecting the room to be dated, perhaps a little rough around the edges, but I was wrong. The room was spotless and very well maintained, despite the age of the hotel. The hotel's location was fantastic, literally 8mins from leaving my room to walking through the Disneyland gates. The street the hotel is located has plenty of restaurant options and is so close to the parks, so you don't feel that your only option is to eat in Disney. I used the main swimming pool once and they provide you with towels at the pool so you don't need to bring your own. My only criticism is that the freeway next to the hotel is noisy and you can hear it when in the room, however, it didn't disturb me. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this hotel again or recommend it to others. I'm so glad I chose to stay here rather than paying the extraordinary prices the Disney hotels were charging, I don't think I could have received better service than I did at the Howard Johnson. A brilliant hotel with brilliant staff!

Room Tip: Building One with a Disneyland view is a must!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sweep33
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed a week in July. HoJo is a wonderful family hotel. Close to Disneyland, comfy rooms, amazing staff.
The waterpark gave Disney some serious competition!! We even extended our stay 2 extra days to enjoy time at the hotel pools and downtown Disney. The kids (ages 7 and 4) didn't want to leave pirates cove.
Watching the Disney fireworks from the jacuzzi was a real treat.
We enjoyed an outstanding stay in building 1 overlooking disneyland. Highly recommend Bldg 1.
We had plenty of room and the kids enjoyed the balcony. Day before we left we lost air conditioning and power in the room. Maintenance worked quickly and efficiently to fix the room. Hotel staff was very accomodating and took half off room rate ( for that one day) for the inconvenience. If you have an annual pass, you also get a nice 20% discount off your room rate.
Lack of on site restaurant worked well for us since the room had a frig and microwave. We made heavy use of the little store to buy milk and snacks each morning to augment the food we brought with us. We had breakfast in our room each morning which made it easier for us. The store also has some nice gifts at decent prices.
Only downside was the bathrooms were small. We had a double queen room so the extra sink came in handy for the 4 of us. The room rate was very reasonable. Overall a wonderful stay. Perfect hotel for my family's first visit to California and Disneyland. I greatly appreciated the complementary parking.
Definitely recommend it and will stay there again. I'll be back this weekend for an overnight stay to celebrate my birthday.
Thank you HoJo for your hospitality.

Room Tip: If you are there in the summer and you have small children, recommend you book Bldg 1 overlooking di...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dawn S
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is the second summer in a row that we have stayed at the Howard Johnson near Disneyland. My six-year-old granddaughter loves the water park, and there is a second pool as well. You can watch fireworks from the hot tub, and there is a hotel staff member at the top of the waterslide keeping order, which is nice.

Our room was on the ground floor of the building by the large pool at the back of the complex. It was quite large, especially since it was a corner room, which I appreciated. Everything at the hotel is smooth and easy, from the smiling front desk folks to the readily-available luggage carts to the well-supplied gift shop. It is easy to store luggage if you arrive early or leave late, and you can even use the pool/water park during that time. I thought the room was quite quiet for a Disneyland hotel, which is typically jam-packed with noisy kids and early risers.

The only early rise I did was the first morning when I neglected to put out the do not disturb sign. It is on the back of the door up high, and since I’m short I totally missed it the night before. If you happen to want to sleep in be sure to put it out!

There’s no hotel restaurant or room service, but Mimi’s is across the street, McDonalds a little further, and a Denny’s is down the block. I also have seen pizza, etc. being delivered. And there is food you can eat in the gift shop, in a pinch, for a late dinner. Our room had both a mini-fridge and a microwave.

I liked getting updates from the hotel’s Facebook page when I was waiting for our trip – helped to build the anticipation! And HoJo’s sponsors the MouseWait app (there’s a free version) which is great for making your way efficiently around the park.

I recommend this hotel, definitely the best of the ones off-property but within walking distance in my opinion, and most especially for months with warm weather if you have children under 10, as they will love the water play at the hotel almost as much as going to Disneyland!

Room Tip: Each building is a little different so read about the options before booking. Corner rooms are large...
1  Thank Sharon M
Hojoanaheim, HoJo Anaheim Guest Care Team at Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear beadlema,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience with us! We are so happy to hear that you and your family had a delightful stay with us. Thank you for your valuable feedback and kind comments. We would be delighted to once again host your Disneyland vacation next summer!

Kind regards,