“Highly recommended”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #18 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 23 April 2009

My children and I stayed at the HoJo over Easter. We had a lovely time.

The room was spotlessly clean, the facilities (particularly Castaway Cove) were great and the service was wonderful. On returning to Australia we realised we had left a much loved toy in our room. After a couple of phone calls and emails the toy was found and returned to Australia. I was very impressed, and my son was ecstatic when Spikey arrived in the post .

Being within walking distance of Disneyland meant that we could go back to the hotel for a much needed break during the day. The children has such a lovely time playing Castaway Cove that it was often difficult to convince them that they should get out of the pool so that we could go back to the Park for the evening.

While the HoJo is a 7 to 10 minute walk to the Disneyland entrance - but the walk is easy and my 7 and 9 year old had no problem walking to and from the hotel each day.

If I go back to Disneyland I would happily stay at the HoJo again.

2  Thank jha09

Reviewed 22 April 2009

We stayed 9 nights at Hojos, while doing 6 days at Disneyland and DCA. We found the hotel pretty much perfect to our needs: its easy walking distance to the parks allowed us to return each day for a swim and a nap before heading out again at night. (if you cross at Manchester and shortcut through the bus lanes, it is 8 minutes, as another poster said)

Kids loved Castaway Cove and the big bucket - even when the weather was marginal for swimming they insisted on going down!

Room was clean and well-maintained. Bathroom a little small but managable. It was great having a fridge and microwave - only complaint would be the fridge was a bit temperamental and kept freezing our milk and beer if we weren't careful!

We paid a bit extra and requested a Disney-view room, away from the freeway noise. We had a great view of the fireworks on the nights when we weren't at the park. The kids loved sitting on the balcony eating ice-cream and enjoying the show!

We appreciated having a guest laundry and the ladies who ran the hotel shop were very kind and helpful - even going so far as to give us some disposable bowls and spoons for our cereal for free, when we hadn't had a chance to get out and buy some.

We used the free internet a lot - not wireless, but we were able to get a longer cable from reception. Also free parking was great too.

Gardens were lovely and seemed very well-kept and housekeeping staff did a good job - we asked not to be disturbed one morning and they left a phone message asking us to please let them know if we wanted anything - a nice touch. The kids loved the way their growing collection of Disney toys were left sitting on their beds each day too!

We liked the way the hotel has been renovated, keeping its retro appeal - very cool and a point of difference for those Disney fans who appreciate the heritage of the area.

2  Thank Saskiwi
Reviewed 21 April 2009

We stayed at the Anaheim Hojo during April, 2009, and were very pleasantly surprised! I had booked the room based on tripadvisor recommendations, and was nervous about what to expect. In the end, it was wonderful! The hotel truly was an easy 7 or 8 minute walk to Disneyland--our 5 and 9 year old did it twice a day with no problems. In fact, I think we had less of a walk than the walk to either Paradise Pier or the Disney parking structure. Our room was large, clean, and had an excellent Disney view. Maybe I'm picky, but I appreciated that our beds had double sheeted duvets and feather pillows. The in room safe was also a nice feature. Our kids absolutely loved the Pirate's Cove....we escaped there every afternoon when the Disneyland crowds were at their worst. The hotel was close to I-5, but we never had any noise issues. In fact, we had a great view of the matterhorn right from our balcony. My main tip for staying here would be to be sure and book a "premium" room with a Disney view (simply to avoid any noise issues), and pillow top beds.

We had stayed once before at the Grand Californian, and I would have to say that this trip was just as nice....for about a third of the price.

1  Thank katiebeth124
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Everyone at this hotel was so helpful and friendly, especially the front desk staff, the bell boys and the gift store attendants. We loved it's location, but the best part was Castaway Cove, the childrens water park. What a great place to have a break from the attractions.
We would recommend this hotel to anyone and would stay there again ourselves.

1  Thank KevinKathy
Reviewed 20 April 2009

We stayed at the Hojo from April 4 to the 11th. We chose this hotel over the Sheraton Park where we had stayed previously because of it's newly installed water park and the close proximity to the Disney parks.
Overall the experience was good. Check in was smooth and quick. We had requested a park view room with a fridge and microwave and received it as requested. There was even a welcome gift from the sales staff for the kids that was very much appreciated and made us feel at home.
Rooms are small but adequate.We were in building 1 with a view of the park. We were able to see the fire works on the nights that were were back from Disney early. Beds are comfortable and there was a fridge and microwave. The extra sink outside the bathroom was nice as well. Our only problem was with the fridge. Either it froze the food or managed to spoil it as it was too warm. I made several complaints to the front desk and on every occasion was assured the matter would be taken care of. After the 2nd complaint I was informed by the front desk that our complaint had been canceled buy the duty manager. The front desk staff had no idea why, but apologized and assured me the next day it would be fixed or the fridge replaced. Regretfully it was not looked after nor was there any communication from the hotel management throughout our stay regarding our complaint.
The walk to the park gates is about 10 mins. Then about another 10 to the entrance of either Disney park.
Mimi's next door was excellent. We ate there at least once a day, usually breakfast and sometimes dinner. We never waited more than 5 mins for a table and service was always quick and efficient.
Would we stay here again? ...... Hard to say as the fridge issue left a bad taste in my mouth, however I would still recommend this hotel as a good choice for families.

Reviewed 15 April 2009

Well i got back from my trip to HOJO's last night, and i had an awesome time!
My room was in building 6, about 30 seconds walk from the lobby building. My room was large and clean and had 2 double beds, a fridge, tea and coffee facilities, table and 2 chairs, tv and plenty of storage space - hangers and drawers. I didnt have any noise problems what so ever. I have stayed at a couple of the Disneyland Good Neighbor hotels on Harbor Blvd, and this is easily the nicest (and cheapest) ive stayed at so far. Also travelling alone, i felt very safe, which is extremely important!
One evening i got chinese take out delivered to my room, from China Delight on a recommendation from the hojo's guest guide in my room, and it was great. I even got a full menu from the reception.

The internet worked great the whole time i was there, although the outlets are on the wall behind the desk at the opposite side of the room to the ethernet cable which is by the bed, so i couldnt recharge my laptop at the same time as i was online. The ethernet cables are pretty short, but its no big deal.

The main st store was really handy for milk for my coffee, or cold drinks. They had a large variety of snacks, souvineers and toiletries and open from 7am - 11pm.

The Housekeeping staff were also great, one day i had left a note on my door requesting no housekeeping service as i wanted a lie in and didnt want to make them wait til id gone out to fix my room.I went out around 12pm, and when i came back at 4 ,my room had been cleaned, and i had a call from reception because the housekeeping staff were worried id be upset it had been done, as i had requested no service, very considerate! Of course i was just very impressed!

I timed the walk to the Disneyland gates, it took exactly 8 mins lol, on one of the days i walked over to downtown disney, did a little shopping and caught a movie.

I didnt use the pool, so cant really comment on that, but the grounds were kept clean and the flowers and fountain were beautiful. There is also a really fun pool play are for kids!

Also i took a couple of bus tours to LA, one was Greyline and one was with VIP tours, i would highly recommend Greyline over VIP, the driver was safer, and kept us entertained the whole way there, with jokes, stories and LA information. it was fabulous!
I went shopping at Citadel outlets, and as they had my favorite store there i spent way too much money lol! They did have a great selection of stores, high st and designer.
I spent a day at Disneyland too, which is always awesome no matter what lol !
There are plenty of places to eat near the hotel - mcdonalds, minnies, quiznos, dennys, tony roma, ihop and others.
The whole hotel is non smoking, even on the grounds and balconies, there is 1 designated smoking area though, so you dont have to go far if you wish to smoke.

Of course now im home and back to reality and Chicago weather, which sucks, but on my next visit to Anaheim i'll be staying at the HOJO for sure!! :) Its amazing value for the price!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
6  Thank chicago29
Reviewed 6 April 2009

I can see why this hotel is ranked so highly by Trip Advisor. The location is great, just one long block from the park entrance. It has good-sized, clean rooms, and the beds are very comfortable. We stayed on the 3rd floor of Building 1 and had a fantastic view of the fireworks from our balcony each night. One morning we had an issue with the tub draining and it was promptly looked after. The kids loved the waterpark and pool after a day at Disneyland. The hotel does not have a restaurant but there are plenty nearby. There is a convenience store on-site with a variety of snacks and necessities. The lobby has 2 computers with free internet although there were some connection issues.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family