“Great Hotel - Exceptional Service”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #14 of 117 Hotels in Anaheim
Melbourne Australia
“Great Hotel - Exceptional Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2009

We recently stayed at HOJO and overall were extremely pleased.

As we booked very early we were able to take advantage of a discounted price for a "Premium Disney View" room. On arrival, although the outside building isn't much to look at, the rooms were spacious and very clean. My only complaint was the Disney View - in my opinion there was no view. After speaking with the front desk clerk an arrangement was made which we were pleased with. The hotel is located next to the freeway but with the balcony door closed you couldn't tell.

About a 10min walk overall to Disneyland - and there are some great restaurants across the road including a McDonalds. Also for some good shopping Target is a short bus ride away. Also if you are visiting Knotts Berry the bus stop is right out the front of the hotel.

We didn't get down to the pool area - but overall you couldn't fault this hotel. My only advice would be to save the extra $$$ and stay in a standard or pool side room.

I give it 5 Stars for everything (value as we got a discount - not sure if I would be happy to pay full price). 4 stars for the Room due to the "lack of" Disney view. Oh and the Internet Connection is pretty bad - but it's free.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank MolloKobi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
  • Czech first
SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2009

Well, I did not make this reservation, my daughter did and I could not have been happier! The service was friendly and helpful at check-in, even told us the best shuttle to take from John Wayne Airport when I called them. The rooms were large and we were on the 4th floor with the tree tops and the adult pool below. Quiet and all the extras- a fridge, microwave and hair dryer etc. I swear the bed was better than home! Slept so well and so did the kids!
It is a short (10 minute) walk to the park entrance but the shuttle is right out front every 20 minutes as well. A MiMi's Cafe across the street and a McDonalds just a block farther down and we were all happy!
There is also a store on the grounds- with EVERYTHING! You need breakfast? They have cereal, sodas, ice cream, sun glasses, we even got a sewing kit!! And they are open late! Plus an arcade and the cutest Pirate Themed pool for the kiddies!
I will recommend this place to all my friends...kids or no kids...it is the best value on the block!!

Calgary, AB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2009

We stayed at the Hojo from April 21-27. We stayed in Bldg 2 in a 'corner' room also known as the 'Home Office Suite'. This room was AWESOME. It is almost double the size of your standard 2 queen room - at least that's what it felt like. There was so much room we were able to lay out queen-sized sheets to allow my 8 month old to roll around and play. We also had a crib and a stroller in the room and yet we still didn't find it crowded for a family of four. The bathroom was large with a long vanity and 2 sinks, which was more than enough room for all of our toiletries and dishwashing (bottles, bowls, etc). The mirrored closet was huge and the desk and long table by the door gave us even more storage space for our things. One drawback - no balcony.

Only minor problem we encountered on our first night was no crib. My hubby made a call to the front desk and was told one would be sent up. Still no crib by 5:15pm, called front desk again and were told that yes, we would be getting a crib, but they are not delivered to rooms until 8pm (um, ok). Headed out to DTD for dinner and shopping and returned around 9:30pm - still no crib. Made another call to front desk and were told that they were out of cribs. We ended up having to put our 8-month old to sleep on the floor on sheets and blankets (the beds, which were sooo comfy, were a little high and I worried she could fall off at night). In the end Hojo paid for our first night to make up for the crib, which was more than they had to do. A crib was delivered the next day.

Overall, we loved the Hojo. The grounds are beautiful, the pools are kept immaculate, and the one day we put up a "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door, we had a message from front desk on our phone to let us know that if we needed any extra towels, etc., to call. We will definitely stay here again. And if you don't care about not having a balcony, request the corner room in bldg 2!!!

4 Thank LUVDLR
oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2009

I was a bit wary to stay at Howard Johnson. My last experience (in another state) was less than stellar. But i will say this....HOJO is a great value. The ease of our trip.....the proximity to Disneyland, the service, castaway cove (kids pool), the mini market on the main floor made for a wonderful trip with 2 little kids. Everything was easy AND affordable. I would highly recommend HOJOs to my friends.....rooms aren't great, but they were clean and functional. If you go....ask for a room on the Disneyland side of Building One so you can view the fireworks at night. If you don't get one of those rooms head out to the I-5 side of the buildings exits and watch them from the stairway balcony. My girls were thrilled to catch them while they were in their pjs.....one final hurrah to a perfect day.

3 Thank ham10
Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2009

I had originally booked at another hotel because I couldn't seem to get the HoJo at a reasonable rate...if at all. I wanted to stay here because of TripAdvisor's ratings and on the recommendation of a friend. Finally I found an available room at a decent rate through a third party website, so I cancelled the other hotel and stayed here.

Simply for the location, I'm glad I did. It was so nice to be able to walk to the parks, and to walk down the street for meals. It was also a reasonable walk to the Anaheim Garden Walk one night. Another thing I liked is that the shuttle and tour buses stopped right in front of the hotel. HoJo had a nice bench to sit at to wait for the buses.

Our room was a typical hotel/motel room. It wasn't huge, but it wasn't tiny either. OUr family of four stayed there comfortably for a week. There were always enough towels, and the housekeeping service was good. (although they never took the tip I left every morning!) The beds were comfortable, and the pillows were very, very comfortable. The pool areas were always clean, and the hot tub was very nice at the end of the day. Met some lovely people there.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in the reviews I read is that the Disney fireworks are clearly visible from the front of building 2. That was so nice to see every night, instead of having to go back to the park.

Two things that would have made it a 5 in my book is 1) a continental breakfast of some kind. While Mimi's is lovely for breakfast, it gets pretty expensive to feed four people every morning. Even if HoJo provided the basics, it would be a good way to start the day. And 2) another smoking area. While the one they had was big enough, it was quite far from some of the buildings. I saw many people smoking in front of building 2 and in the parking lots anyways, they might as well put in another smoking area around there.

Overall, I was impressed with the hotel, location and service, and would recommend it to a friend.

3 Thank Princess_Lu
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2009

My children and I stayed at the HoJo over Easter. We had a lovely time.

The room was spotlessly clean, the facilities (particularly Castaway Cove) were great and the service was wonderful. On returning to Australia we realised we had left a much loved toy in our room. After a couple of phone calls and emails the toy was found and returned to Australia. I was very impressed, and my son was ecstatic when Spikey arrived in the post .

Being within walking distance of Disneyland meant that we could go back to the hotel for a much needed break during the day. The children has such a lovely time playing Castaway Cove that it was often difficult to convince them that they should get out of the pool so that we could go back to the Park for the evening.

While the HoJo is a 7 to 10 minute walk to the Disneyland entrance - but the walk is easy and my 7 and 9 year old had no problem walking to and from the hotel each day.

If I go back to Disneyland I would happily stay at the HoJo again.

2 Thank jha09
Christchurch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2009

We stayed 9 nights at Hojos, while doing 6 days at Disneyland and DCA. We found the hotel pretty much perfect to our needs: its easy walking distance to the parks allowed us to return each day for a swim and a nap before heading out again at night. (if you cross at Manchester and shortcut through the bus lanes, it is 8 minutes, as another poster said)

Kids loved Castaway Cove and the big bucket - even when the weather was marginal for swimming they insisted on going down!

Room was clean and well-maintained. Bathroom a little small but managable. It was great having a fridge and microwave - only complaint would be the fridge was a bit temperamental and kept freezing our milk and beer if we weren't careful!

We paid a bit extra and requested a Disney-view room, away from the freeway noise. We had a great view of the fireworks on the nights when we weren't at the park. The kids loved sitting on the balcony eating ice-cream and enjoying the show!

We appreciated having a guest laundry and the ladies who ran the hotel shop were very kind and helpful - even going so far as to give us some disposable bowls and spoons for our cereal for free, when we hadn't had a chance to get out and buy some.

We used the free internet a lot - not wireless, but we were able to get a longer cable from reception. Also free parking was great too.

Gardens were lovely and seemed very well-kept and housekeeping staff did a good job - we asked not to be disturbed one morning and they left a phone message asking us to please let them know if we wanted anything - a nice touch. The kids loved the way their growing collection of Disney toys were left sitting on their beds each day too!

We liked the way the hotel has been renovated, keeping its retro appeal - very cool and a point of difference for those Disney fans who appreciate the heritage of the area.

2 Thank Saskiwi