“A great place to stay !”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #18 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Chilliwack, Canada
“A great place to stay !”
Reviewed 20 September 2009

We just got back to Canada from a very recent stay at the Howard Johnsons in Anaheim, California. To make a long story short: this is a great place to stay if you're taking your children to Disneyland. I highly recommend it.

My wife and I were visiting Disneyland with our two daughters, aged one and four. We arrived on a Saturday and had to wait a while for our room to be ready. We were quite early, so the staff at the hotel stored our bags and gave us a key to the waterpark and pool areas. We went for a quick lunch and spent a few hours by the pool before we got our room. The room itself had two queen sized beds, a small fridge and a microwave. We also got a crib for our toddler. The room was spacious enough for us, clean and suited our needs very well. We were very happy with our accomodations.

The hotel was a five minute walk from the gates to Disneyland, which suited us perfectly. We were able to walk to the park then return later to rest our kids and put the toddler down for a nap. Mimi's Restaurant was directly across the street and the menu was decent for families. Don't expect fine dining, but the food was good, reasonably priced and the staff was friendly. There's also a McDonalds right there and we used that for the occasional breakfast. There's also a Denny's and and IHOP all before you hit the Disneyland gates. There's a Super Target nearby that we took a cab to and picked up groceries. The hotel is very well positioned.

The hotel was well appointed and the waterpark was great. The kids played and had a blast in there. The pool and park were clean and the kids loved it. We spent one whole afternoon just lounging around the waterpark.

The only downside was that I had booked the hotel online and had received a deal from mousesavers.com on the rate. When we checked out I was surprised by the bill being $200.00 USD over the rate I had received online. It was only a momentary setback since I had printed the online reservation with the lower rate. When I produced that the staff at the desk fixed the bill right away. I'm not too sure what would have happened if I hadn't printed off my online quote.

I absolutely recommend this hotel to a family with small children visiting Disneyland. We will be staying there again !

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (815)
  • Czech first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 13 September 2009

My family and I spent 5 nights here in August 2009. We were very impressed by their location and service. HoJo's is only a short (8-10minute) walk to Disneyland and along the way there are many places to eat. Personally we couldn't go past Mimi's Cafe across the road. My children (9, 6 and 3) absolutely couldn't get enough of Castaway Cove, they LOVED that place. The tipping water bucket was a huge hit :)

The rooms were very clean and fresh, the housekeeping staff do an outstanding job. We were in building 1 on the 5th floor. The gift shop/market is stocked with just about everything you could possibly need and the staff are really friendly. Front of House staff are also very helpful when it comes to your HoJo needs. We missed a bus to one of the local shopping centres and were going to organise a taxi - the staff on reception organised a "town car" for us, this cost the same as a taxi and we could arrange a time for pick up rather than having to call another taxi :)

I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay close to Disneyland but also wanting to save a few dollars by not staying at the resort itself. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms clean and the staff ready to help. If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.

2 Thank kelsu77
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 September 2009

Hojo Anaheim was way better than we'd expected. True, it is a little dated, but it's clean and tidy, and looks much better than some of the other properties on S Harbor Blvd. The staff were friendly and helpful right from time of booking (Lorealle), to front desk staff, housekeeping and gardeners. We stayed in Building 2, 3rd floor, overlooking the pool entrance, and it was very quiet. Even though the freeway is just the other side of the building, we were in a room on the hotel side, not the freeway side. I've got to mention the beds, they were REALLY comfortable!! Thanks to Hojo for the free of charge rollaway we got for the 10 year old. There's a good range of touristy brochures in the reception area, and free internet in the reception area also. Bathroom spacious, with a bath too. No issues with housekeeping. Only downside is that there's no internal bathroom clothesline - but any washing gets dry within a couple of hours on the balcony. Air con inside the room was really good. TV channels available were good, including what seemed to be a Disney History channel, which was very interesting. The lifts were pretty slow, we used the stairs most times, and it was lots quicker.

We couldn't see the nightly Disney fireworks display from our room, but we could definitely hear them!! - in fact I'm sure all of Anaheim gets woken every night by the booms! From the reception area/drop off driveway, we could see the display though.

Both pool areas are great, but it is an inconvenience that the kids and adults pools aren't together - if your family is swimming someone's got to compromise, and it's usually the adults! The 10 year old loved Castaway Cove - the big bucket spilling over the pool area every 5 minutes was a source of great excitement!

The "gift shop" is very well stocked with everything you could possibly need - at the sort of prices that you expect from a shop of that sort - not real cheap, but really convenient.

The walk to Disneyland's main entrance took us a maximum of 8 minutes, and that included the long Disneyland driveway area. It's certainly not strenuous for fit and healthy types, but kiddies would probably need a stroller to get them home after a hard day at Disneyland!

We were breakfast regulars at Millies Bakery & Restaurant - just along from Mimi's, it was good value. There's lots of food outlets to choose from between Hojo and Disneyland - Dennys, McDonalds, IHOP.

2 Thank 12rubyblue
vancouver
Reviewed 10 September 2009

Stayed at this hotel in July for a one week stay. We had taken our grandson for his first Disney adventure and it was all that we could have asked for.
Our room faced the office on floor 2. It was very large and had the best beds we've found in all of our travels!! Instead of the flat pillows we have become accustomed to in hotels, the HOJO has wonderful big fluffy pillows!!! I loved the fridge to store our breakfast supplies in. The mini market (that was just below our room) had a great selection of cereals, juice, fresh fruit, muffins, etc. It made breakfast fast and easy!! Spent some time most days at either the pool or Castway Cove. Grandson loved the cove!
With the easy access to Disneyland and lots of restaurants within walking distance this hotel is great for a Disney escape. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank luvcruising
Long Island, N.Y.
Reviewed 9 September 2009

The Howard Johnson Anaheim was our third of four stops on our California tour. As many other reviews state, this is a wonderful hotel for families with young kids. The “water park” on the grounds sells itself with the kids. We spent hours with a 3 and 6 year old.
The hotel is a corner resort that is wedged between South Harbor Blvd. and I5. The grounds have several different structures from two store to much larger buildings. We were located in the back in building 2. Although the build backed I5, we had a “garden/pool” view. At no point did we hear any traffic from I5 even while on the 3rd floor. However, do your homework. We had family stay with us in building 1 that did in fact have substantial noise from I5. Room selection is definitely important with this location, especially if you are a light sleeper.
The location is a 7 to 10 minute casual work to Disneyland Park. It’s about a 15 to 30 minute walk to the Gardenwalk mall. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance. Places like Millie’s and MiMi’s Café are right next door. Look online for saving coupons for these locations.
Our room was a spacious 2 queen garden/pool room. Up to date and always clean. Even the coffee maker in the room was a new style single cup maker. Spacious safe located under the night table. One quirk with the room was the internet access. Our room had Ethernet cable connectivity only, which was fine except where they placed it. The modem data port was located on the nightstand between the two beds. The problem was the cable provided was less than 2 feet long. Now I’m not sure why this was so since the room had a desk and table away from the nightstand. A simple talk with the front desk netted a 15 foot cable (deposit required). HoJos’ “throttles” their internet access. Free access is 256k, plenty for web surfing. However, if you plan on transferring files, you may opt for faster link speed, which will cost your extra.
Overall, this was one of our best rooms on this trip. Highly recommended. Keep up the good work. We’ll be back soon.

3 Thank Gary O
Reviewed 8 September 2009

First, let me start by saying we are a family of five consisting of my husband, myself, our two boys (ages 5 and 2) and my MIL visiting from outside the country. We decided to bring my MIL to "the Happiest Place on Earth" for the Disney experience. We debated about staying at a Disney property, but considering we wanted the space provided by either 2 rooms or a suite, we deemed it cost-prohibitive. After reviewing many trip reports, I booked the HoJo. We arrived on Friday, August 7th around 2:00 pm for a 4 night stay. Check in was seamless. We were told the rooms would not be ready until 4 pm, checked our bags with the desk, and left to explore Disneyland. We returned around 4:30 and were able to check right in.

I had requested two premium Disney rooms near each other, preferably on the top floor. I received 2 Disney-facing rooms next to each other on the 3rd floor. The rooms were fine. Small fridge and coffee maker were a nice touch. The bathrooms were quite dated. As for the Disney facing view, I was hoping to catch the fireworks from the room one night. As it would turn out, I was overlooking the office with a large tree blocking most of the fireworks. A little higher up with a different angle may have changed the viewing opportunity.

This was our first experience with the HoJo chain. Did not interact with staff much so can't really comment on service. We booked this based on location to park and price, in combination with the Castaway Cove pool area for the kids. We were able to use the area for a couple of hours one afternoon. The kids enjoyed it, but I found it a bit small. All of the loungers were taken for much of the time we were there. The slides were the best feature. The kids wanted an area to swim as well, but there is nothing more than a knee-deep kiddie pool in this location. We did not have the opportunity to walk to the other pool on this property for swimming.

Overall I have nothing really bad to comment about this location. I just think booking this property and specifically, the premier Disney rooms, based on view and Castaway Cove left me slightly underwhelmed. We stayed several years back at the Candy Cane Inn and would probably return there before staying a 2nd time in this location.

1 Thank cdatraveler
Briarcliff, NY
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Wow. Not only did we get all that, but more. Right next to the Fairfield, I Luckily chose this instead. We walked in & were warmly greeted. When they realized they couldn't put my inlaws right next to us, both in "premium" rooms, they offered us an upgrade to a "theme" room, then offered to take us up to compare & choose! Since we were going to see the fireworks up close & didn't need the view, we gave that room to inlaws (they said it was great) & took the "Pirate" room for ourselves & our daughter. She loved the choice of either bunk bed or the fold out bed (tried a different one each of our 3 nights), we loved the "privacy" of a completely separate room with a king sized bed.... The theme is the color choices & decorations. To go over the top they could have thrown in a 10 cent toy eye patch, but I'm not complaining, it was great. Refrigerator, hair dryer, flat screen TV w/ HBO & a sort of Disney History channel that was interesting, Wifi (with the plug - also free- worked better), even 2 computers in the lobby & they offered to come let us in after midnight if we needed it.
I kept forgetting to time the walk, but it was probably about 8 min, not bad, the shuttle's probably longer. You can see the monorail go by. Speaking of which, soundproofing? Impressive. I heard the freeway a little bit, & yes, with the A/C on you can't hear it anymore, unless you go out on the deck to compare & get totally impressed with the job they did, giving you a view with minimal sound leak thru'.
Best yet, before checking out we got to go to their very own water park! Huge smiles for my daughter. Would have loved to try the hot tub, but too busy taking pictures of her on the water slides & other stuff. Then up to shower off & hit the road!
This has completely changed my opinion of Howard Johnson's & if in the area again, I would ONLY stay here again.
Oh, their restaurant (Mimi's) seemed cheaper & nicer than Fairfield's on the next block, for breakfast. Kidds Buffet down the street was cheap, & not too bad, but not as many healthy choices.
If you have any questions about this great place, contact me thru' my NY website, [--]

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family