“Loud room = no sleep!”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #19 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 19 July 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel after reading multiple positive reviews. We were very disappointed. I will say the room was clean and met our needs size-wise. However, our room was ON the freeway and it was SO loud we had a lot of trouble sleeping. After a full day at Disneyland, all I wanted was a good night's rest and that was not possible with all the freeway noise. There are other hotels that of similar price that are closer to the Disneyland entrance and I would certainly stay at them next time over this hotel. I have never posted a review before, but I was so surprised that no one else mentioned the noise that I had to write a review mentioning it.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mountie50

Reviewed 19 July 2010

I read so many great reviews about this hotel. After staying there for a few nights I can’t believe how many people say how great this hotel is. We booked based on the great reviews and how close people said it was. Well I have to say it disappointed it all areas.
1st. our room was located at the end of the building and the first thing we noticed when walking in was how loud the freeway was that was located right outside the balcony. The door leading to the balcony had 0 insulation and was the main reason for the noise. With the all-star game in town we knew the hotel was booked solid and didn’t even ask for a change of room. Definitely my mistake for not asking because it led to 2 days of no sleep.
2nd this hotel is the furthest from the maingate on the strip. Again, based on what people said I was led to believe it was one of the closest to the park. There are about 6 hotels right across from the maingate.
The next time I go back to Disneyland I was not stay at this hotel. If you value sleep I would look elsewhere if I were you also.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nbaresejr
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Pretty easy stay - nice pool, water park for the kids, on site store and an easy 10 minute walk to Disneyland gates. Rooms are clean and comfortable and quick easy entrance / exit to the I5. Many packages if you research it beforehand.
About 30 minutes to Newport Beach when you need to find some sand and surf.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Norrisrock
Reviewed 18 July 2010

This is the best family hotel we have ever stayed at (and we have stayed at quite a few hotels). I can't say enough good things about it. Here are some of the things we loved about this place:

1.) Close to Disneyland Park and an easy walk with a toddler
2.) Close to many child friendly and affordable places to eat
3.) Lush landscaping and clean grounds
4.) Spacious, CLEAN rooms with vaulted ceilings on upper floors, refrigerator in room, safe in room, Large mirrored closets, Keurig coffee makers with coffee AND tea
5.) Amazing pool facilities
6.) Free Internet and Printing capabilities in lobby (perfect when we needed to print a mapquest home)
7.) Extremely friendly, accomodating staff
8.) Free parking
9.) San Francisco Soap Company Toiletries
10.) Balcony's in rooms

I could go on and on about how wonderful this hotel is. We were fortunate to get an extremely good price on our room and the location was perfect. We were able to view the fireworks from our balcony the first night. Our toddler loved the pirate pool and spent about as much time there as at Disneyland park. He begged us to go back to the hotel to swim each day we were at Disneyland. There were plenty of towels available at the pool. There was a jacuzzi for the adults plus plenty of seating. There is another nice pool area as well which our room overlooked. Staying here totally made our vacation to the beach and Disneyland better. I must admit we have tried to get a room here on previous Disneyland trips and it has always been fully booked. Now I can totally see why. We will never stay anywhere else when visiting Anaheim and plan on being back for our next trip. My only advise is make sure to book early!!! Thank you Howard Johnson. We had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank enchantedeverafter
Reviewed 18 July 2010

This hotel was booked for us as part of a packaged tour.
Great service all around, from reception-desk thru to room-cleaning and on-site gift shop/convenience store. The room fit the bill and exceeded our expectations (Ground floor Building 5). There was no microwave in our room but the reception staff happily warmed our meals in their microwave.
We weren't aware of freeway noise as it was probably drowned out by the noisy room air conditioner. The only other negative was the unavailability of soy milk in the onsite shop, requiring an 8-block drive to Vons supermarket to get some.
Note: LA water is yuck compared to Melbourne (AUS) town water but bottled water is readily available for purchase from vending machines in each accommodation block for US$1.50 per bottle. Save your quarters as you will need them for the vending machine and the on-site laundry. The free WiFi is wonderful, and the hotel staff are readily forthcoming with hints and tips to save on costs during your stay.
The walk to Disneyland isn't too bad and if your feet are really sore there is a shuttle bus to/from the hotel every 15 mins or so for US$4 per day per person (tickets available from hotel reception).
We would stay there again quite happily but would request a room with a quieter air-conditioner.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank jstosh
Reviewed 17 July 2010

booked this hotel based on reviews and we were not disappointed. great hotel for kids - excellent water playground which kept the kids entertained and there is a pool area for adults who dont have kids. walkign distance to disneyland and decent places to eat. rooms were good size and clean and had fridge & microwave with table and chairs. has laundry facility and free internet and computers as well.
if you have small kids make sure you bring your own swimmer nappies as a few mini marts are selling normal nappies at $3 each! also bring your own milk as all mini marts sell it at $3-$4 a litre.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Cherrybom
Reviewed 16 July 2010

We travel from Texas to Disneyland every year, and had never known about the HOJO until this year! We have 2 girls ages 6 and 7 who truly loved our stay! I did try and get the kids suite, I tried for about 6 months but to no avail, but maybe next year we will book it early enough! The room with 2 double beds was quite roomy, especially since we did just sleep there! The 2 pool areas kept us and the kids quite busy, they absolutley loved both pools! My kids love going to Disneyland every year and we always get bunkbeds for them, just a special treat that they always look forward to! But this year they said we don't care about bunkbeds anymore we just love HOJO! It really is a short walk to the main gate, even after a long day!!
I highly recommend this hotel, we were there for 10 days and the hotel was a great way for us to spend a few days swimming with our kids and relaxing, which on a Disneyland vacation we don't do much of!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family