“Great deal, bit of a walk” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #13 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Vancouver Island, BC
“Great deal, bit of a walk”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2010

We stayed here in November for 7 nights. The hotel was beautiful, very well landscaped and the rooms were very spaceous. The beds were amazing, like lying on a bed of feathers. Each room has its own programable safe which was really nice for storing cash and valuables.

We got the room with an entertainment rate of $69/night for 2 Queen beds, Fridge, Microwave,Kuerig Coffee maker and a view of the pool. The hotel also offeres free parking and free wireless internet. These discounted rates are available through the hotel itself (not the 1-800 numbers) and are only available on certain days with more days being available during off-season times.

We had some issues with our TV remote, then the movie ordering system went down for 4 days. They were quick to fix the remote.

Having the arcade and gift shop on site was really handy for forgetfull people like myself. The laundry machines could use some updating but did their job and didn't wreck any of our clothes.

Across the street is Mimi's cafe and the food there is good, we ate there twice. The walk to the parks is not a super long one but can be a bit much for kids and older adults. We purchased ART (Anaheim Resort Transit) passes for 2 people in our group.

2 Thank Mycupcake2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (790)
  • Czech first
melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2010

We stayed at the Howard Johnson in Anaheim for 8 nights in September 2010. We stayed in the Kids Suites which is a two room accommodation. Our room had a King Size Bed with Table for 4, Fridge & Microwave and our own Bathroom. The kids room had a set of Bunks, 2 seater Sofa which apparently converted to a bed and a separate bathroom. Both rooms had Plasmas. The accommodation was fantastic. They have a small Mini Mart Shop on the premises which you can get just about anything you need, We loved the Water Park area and also the separate pool. Our room was the closest point to the major freeway, and yes there was a bit of road noise, but it didn't bother us, We had no problem sleeping and with the double door onto the balcony, this stopped most of the noise, It is only about a 5 minute walk to Disneyland and the hotel staff were extremely helpful.

On the day of checkout our son hurt himself and we had to get a Doctor to our room. The hotel staff were very helpful and the doctor said he need to rest as much as possible before our flight. We were given a longer check out which helped, then the hotel moved us to another room so that we could stay there until we had to leave for the airport. At the time of checkout we were VERY SURPRISED that they had not charged us for the use of the other room for about 5 hours and also that we had used some of the amentities in the room and they said not so worry about it, they just hoped that our son was feeling better before our long flight back to Australia.

We cannot thank the staff at the Howard Johnson enough, It made our cirumstances on the day so much easier and we would not have known what to do if we had not been allowed the other room, So thanks again for your help guys, and if we ever return to Anaheim we will definately be staying at the Howard Johnson.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank kms61
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2010

We are a young family and were so excited to stay at the Ho Jo as we had heard so much about it. We arrived at the hotel mid morning and to our horror we could not check in until 4pm ! We had just had a 16 hour flight from Australia and were told by the front desk to 'Go to Disneyland' ! - not an appropriate option but we were able to store our luggage and use the pool (thank goodness). At 2pm we basically begged to have our room as our young children were falling asleep (16hr flight remember) and we got it. We then requested a late checkout when we leave as our flight was not until late night and we were told we would have to wait until the morning we leave to ask??? Anyway, the room was fabulous and the kids pool area was also fabulous. The little shop was fabulous (and CHEAP) and the staff there were wonderful. The hotel has a great view of the fireworks at Disneyland and so so so handy to walk to and from. We were having a fantastic stay until we had to leave. We set the alarm for 6.30AM to call and ask for a late checkout to which the response was No, we have no late checkouts available! How can this be its 6.30 AM. We asked to speak to a supervisor and he got NICOLE - undoubtably the rudest woman in the USA. She argued with us and showed no compassion to our request or situation with a late flight and small children. To add insult to injury she told us that we were in a premier room (yes we were and we PAID EXTRA to have it) and that a VIP GUEST wanted that room early. What about US - we have travelled across the world to stay at your hotel and we thought we were a VIP guest. She continued with her rude tone and sacastic manner. We then said that last time we were in Anaheim we stayed at the Portofino where they had no problem accomodating for families with late checkout requests. It was only then she chose to CHARGE us for a late checkout. FINE done, we paid. It left us with a bad taste in our mouth and was so so disappointing after the hotel is so good. We are looking at returning to the states and would like to say we would stay at the Ho Jo again but NICOLE and her horrible attitude makes us think twice which is a real shame.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Red Deer, AB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2010

I bet that got your attention! My wife and I along with my son/daugther-in-law and their teenage chidren and my daughter and her 4 year old son, (obviously our grandchildren), stayed at the Howard Johson Anaheim at Disney from Thursday, Nov. 11 to Tuesday, Nov. 16, 2010. And although it was noisy from the traffic on the freeway, (the hotel is at the intersection of the Sanata Ana Fwy or Interstate 5, and S Harbor Blvd), which made it difficult to sleep, but it was also noisy from all of the families having a GREAT TIME.! This is the PERFECT place for families. It's relative close position to Disneyland and California Adventure means that families don't need to rent a vehicle, take taxi's or use shuttle buses. If the young ones get tired by 2:00pm, a 15 minute walk back to their room for a rest and then back to the parks, or take advantage of the pool and/or water park. All of our family members enjoyed the water park, especially the large tipping water bucket which would fill up and then pour gallons of water on them! The hotel supplied a constant flow of towels for pool users. Free!

The hotel is made up of 8 separate buildings surrounded by beautiful landscaping which in itself is worth the stay. We stayed in building "2" and overlooked the small pool area. This did not pose any problems as most pool users were done by 8:00pm. The rooms were not overly large but they were well kept up, clean and the beds were comfortable. It was evident that the buildings were in constant upgrading. Although the bathroom did have two sinks, they both were within the bathroom. It would have been better if one was outside the bathroom, especially when there are teenagers in the party. We DID NOT see any signs of the dreaded BB's that seem to be popping up in hotels around the world.

One side benefit of the location of the hotel is the ability to go to the fourth floor of building "2" and from the west side windows, view the fireworks from Disneyland Park in comfort. Our four year old grandson loved the view!

Lastly, the front desk staff was very helpful. Check-in/check-out was quick and efficient. We needed to print out our boarding passes which were easily done using the new Apple computers. The front desk staff helped with the printing. The computers are free! They were cheerful, pleasant and looked like they were happy to be working there! The housekeeping and maintenance staffs were also very pleasant and helpful.

The hotel does have a small convenience/gift shop with all the necessities for travelers.

There are numerous fast food and restaurants near the hotel. Although our supper experience at Mimi's was not at all positive. Although the food was adequate, the service was very poor! At one point in time, we thought our server had quite and gone home. It took 15 minutes to get our change. We should have realized there might be problems with Mimi's when we were seated by a gum chewing, yawning, i-pod plugged in, bored looking young gentleman. Things went downhill from there. We had better luck at IHOP and some of the other fast food places.

As a side note, the sidewalks leading to the Parks gates, namely along South Harbor BLVD are very crowded and South Harbor Blvd. is very heavy with traffic. Walking on the Blvd. and crossing South Harbor Blvd. requires caution, especially with little ones. With all of the $$$ that Disney Corp. has made over the years, and all of the taxes that Disney has paid to the City of Anaheim, I cannot understand why a walk way overpass hasn't been built from the East side of South Harbor to the West side to enter the Parks. One morning while we were walking on the East side, we observed a traffic accident involving three vehicles travelling south just before the crossway. It's only a miracle that none of the pedestrians in the walk way and on the sidewalks were injured. Will it take a major catastrophe to happen before the problem it’s rectified?

So don't let my headlines deter you from staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Anaheim/Disneyland Park. It's a great place to stay, especially with families. If you are a light sleeper, bring some earplugs! The value for the money is great! Come and stay and enjoy!

2 Thank CanuckRedDeer_AB
TAURANGA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2010

we stayed at the howard johnson from the 5th to the 9th november . the hotel was great excellent location across the road from disneyland walking distance to the main gate. plenty of restaurants close and very reasonably priced the meals are very large. also great shopping not far away walking distance or bus to excellent malls . would love to go back and the weather was very warm but gets cool early around 4pm.

1 Thank LYNNETauranga
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2010

We stayed at HoJo Anaheim in July 2010. We had originally booked at BW Park Place, but my rule is to NEVER settle with your original booking without continuing to browse for better deals until the day you leave.

This never proved more true, as I stumbled upon an unbelievable deal when entering my dates in HoJo's website. I won't reveal the amount that showed up, but I'll just say that it makes their Entertainment rate look like a rip off (which it most certainly is not, btw!)

Without blinking, I immediately booked 2 rooms, for which I received an email confirming my extraordinarily cheap booking. I called HoJo, to ensure that the rate I had booked would be honoured upon our arrival. They were flabbergasted, and admitted that there was evidently a data entry error on their website, but that the price would be honoured, since we had confirmation.

From the moment we checked in, until the moment we checked out, our experience at HoJo Anaheim was outstanding. We had two joint rooms in building two (Deluxe QQ), overlooking the garden pool. The rooms had a door between them, perfect for grandma to have both privacy and the feeling of sharing her vacation with my husband and I, and her two young grandkids. The first thing I did after dropping my suitcase, was open the sliding balcony door, and move the table and two chairs outside. Guess where we enjoyed breakfast, coffee and newspaper every morning?

Ample storage space, large bathroom, awesome coffee maker, REALLY comfy beds and pillows, sunny, inviting rooms, dark and quiet sleep, attentive housekeeping, well stocked gift shop, fantastic pool/splash park (cleaned regularly), easy walk to Disneyland with a stroller, fun, friendly atmosphere, lovely landscaping, ample free parking and wi fi, awesome restaurant right next door (Mimi's).

Above all else, the most important bonus for me was the attention to detail regarding customer satisfaction. In two shakes of a lamb's tail, I went from feeling guilty and awkward about accepting such a cheap reservation, to feeling just as important and welcome as guests who pay full price. I assure you, the staff at this hotel deserve to be commended for going above and beyond. This is a rarity in this day and age. Normally at other hotels you're treated like sheep, and they flock you in and out ASAP. Not here. You would think that this is a privately owned one-off hotel, and wonder which one of the amazing staff members is the owner!

example: I called in-house reservations to let them know my aunt would be arriving early. Not only did they say she was free to enjoy the pool facilities until her room was available, they actually allowed her to check into her room way before check in time to rest and freshen up before we got in.

example: Staff member Lorealle is all over Facebook, HoJo discussion boards, and other various discussion boards, promptly and kindly answering any and all questions, and truly making each guest's experience as fun and personal as possible. Amazing!

seriously folks: look no further than HoJo Anaheim for your family's next Disney vacation. I am under no obligation to write anything here, but I felt compelled to say something, especially since I'm already looking to book my family's next visit in 2011! Hey HoJo: I'm keeping my eyes open for November 2011 entertainment card rates!

I should also mention that the reason I searched for rates at HoJo to begin with, is due to the fact that I still remember staying there with my family in 1990. I remember being a kid, enjoying the lovely pools, and fun atmosphere. This hotel has a history of good service dating back 20 years for me (and, probably good prices too, since my dad chose HoJo in 1990! lol)

This was my second stay at HoJo Anaheim, and certainly not my last. Thank you for the memories! You will see my family again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank CanadianSkeptic
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2010

On our Disneyland vacation we chose to stay at the Howard Johnson because of its wonderful reviews and the sweet deal I scored on their kids themed rooms. Our little ones were 3 & 4 and absolutely loved their room complete with their own bathroom, bunkbed, tv, view of fireworks every night...Our room was great too, our own bathroom, king sized bed, microwave, fridge, balcony...The people there were so friendly and one of our favorite things about this hotel is the onsite waterpark. We spent one whole day just at the waterpark relaxing and having a blast. Our kids were so thrilled with the play area, they didn't even realize that Disneyland was right across the street! That brings me to another great aspect. We were able to just walk back and forth from Disney so the kids could get naps in at the hotel, then we'd go back for some more fun. It was so close and convenient! There's a Mimi's Cafe and McD's within walking distance as well...so super convenient. The hotel was nice, clean, great gift shop with arcade room. I can't say enough great things about our stay! It will definitely be our go-to place when we go to Disneyland from now on!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family