“I Should Have Known Better......”
Review of Park Vue Inn

Park Vue Inn
Ranked #10 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Wakefield, MA
“I Should Have Known Better......”
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Was back in OC for a business trip in late July, so decided on some "me-time" with a three day stay in Anaheim. Had just been there in September, and stayed at the Carousel Inn, and even though I disliked their parking and internet fees, the overall experience there was pretty good. However, looking to save a few steps and a few dollars, (and noting their free parking and wireless internet availability), I booked the Park Vue Inn instead. BIG mistake. With few exceptions, my overall experience was extremely negative.

I arrived in mid-morning, fully expecting my room would not be ready, and it wasn't, but they gave me a parking pass and I spent the rest of the morning and much of the afternoon at Disneyland. When I arrived back late afternoon, was told to "hold on a minute" and the clerk disappeared in the back. After a long time he came back and told me that "Maintenance is just finishing up fixing the a/c in your room, they may still be there." Oh oh. I got to my first floor room, and sure enough, there was a GAPING hole in the wall, by the floor, with no air conditioner, and who knew what had crawled into the room. The very pleasant maintenance guys did come back, put the unit in, and thankfully it worked fine...but I was creeped out by that.

The room itself was "tired," stains on the rug, filthy handprints by the door molding, furniture all worn and distressed, stains on the blanket, and some very poor patching jobs on the wall where a sink formerly had been in the bathroom. Many reviews here have noted the thin walls and creaking floors above, and I could hear EVERYTHING said in the next room, as the connecting doors are thin and cheap. I went to get ice, and found that there was a 25 cent charge, and having no quarters, gave up on that. Five minutes later there was a knock on the door, and a maid brought in a bag of ice to me, I was very impressed by that and that she'd noticed. (I later tried the ice machine without paying, and it worked! So who knows if they really charge or not)I only wish that attention to detail was in place throughout the place.

There was a very odd odor in the room, never could figure out what it was, and the beds creaked like a haunted house; one of the lamps over the bed had a broken switch, which likely is a fire hazard, and they used the dimmest bulbs possible in all lights, so you never got good light in the place. Cheap styrofoam cups were provided for drinks, and yet, one very nice "Park Vue Inn" coffee mug...which I found a bit strange.

The internet wouldn't work for me that first afternoon, and when I called the desk, they told me it was fine and it had to be my computer. Well, I tried EVERYTHING, (even trying to get on the wireless from the hotel next door!) and it still didn't work. Nor did it the next day, when finally the clerk at the desk told me, "Yes, it's down, we're working on it." And nor did it work later that day, nor the morning of my last full day there.....however, it DID work the third night, but by that time I was so sick and tired of the whole place I didn't care.

One of the reasons one gets a room close to the park is so one can come back, rest and re-charge your batteries, but it's hard to do that when you come back to a room at 3-4 o'clock in the afternoon and your room STILL isn't made up. So much for my plans of coming back each day, catching up on work email, etc. Didn't happen.

Didn't expect much from their "continental breakfast," and that's a good thing, as I tried it on day one, only to find the orange juice machine broken, and a very small selection of generic "baked" goods. I ate at Disneyland after that.

I had an early morning flight out of Long Beach on checkout day, so had to leave around 6:00 a.m. I went to the office to find all the doors locked, and no one answering when I knocked, nor was there a house phone readily apparent for me to call someone. At that point I was so disgusted with the place I just took the hotel key cards, threw them away, and drove off.

As I said, I should have known better, and tried to give this place a chance, but never, never again. There are lots of alternatives in the area, and believe me, next trip I'll choose one of them. I didn't have high expectations for this place, I'm a realist, but one would expect them to get the basics right and at least provide the things they offer. This is the most negative review I've ever written here, but the sorry tale had to be told!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank nthsh01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
Illinois
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Terrible. We stayed just a few hours and checked out. There are a lot of other hotels close to Disney - don't pick this one just because of vicinity. We had to change rooms right when we arrived due to a horrible smell. Our new room was just a few doors down. The beds creaked so bad and sank so low that we thought they would break. An awful smell came out when you turned on the sink - not sure if it was the water or the drain. My son described it as rotten eggs. The window lock was broken. Then we found a roach. At that time we packed up and left. Then the manager refused to come out and speak to us when we went to the front desk and refused to come to the phone when we called the next day.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank jenlyn5
Oregon
Reviewed 10 July 2009

My sister and I spent a week in LA and stayed at the Park Vue because of its location. The check in staff were exceptionally friendly and called within 20 minutes to confirm the room met our expectations. We were provided a basket of fresh fruit, bottled water and a bottle of wine - what a nice surprise! We were able to walk to Disneyland within 5 minutes. The breakfast provided was more than adequate to start the day. The breakfast room was especially fun - getting to meet folks from around the US who were on their way to "the happiest place on earth," too. Even though the motel is on a very, very busy street, our room was quiet; the bed was comfortable; and the room nicely cleaned each day. We would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank cartrippers
Alberta
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We were a little bit nervous about any affordable hotels in this area but after reading for 7 hours on TRIP ADVERSOR, we decided to rent this one for 5 nights. The location is not just right across Disney as all the other one are advertising, it is also right across the main gates!!!! We were on the second floor and were so tired at night that we slept no problem. We had breakfast there every morning. If there is something missing, just ask...they will put more.
The employes working in the breakfast area are not smiling (never) but who cares, we were there just the time to eat.
The beds were comfortable, we had a fonctional fridge in our room and a microwave. The bathroom was old but we were able to take our shower. It serve the purpose.
I read comment about stuff being stolen; well, we ask to room to be done every 2-3 days only and do the shopping on the last day.
If you're looking for a 5*****, that's not the place but if you're looking for the best hotel to go to Disney, that's the place.
We found a really good deal at about $90 US/night!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Lovetraveling174
Richmond Hill, Georgia
Reviewed 30 June 2009

This hotel exceeded our needs and our expectations. Our room was a suite with 3 queen beds and it was very spacious. We planned our stay with frugality in mind, so we had brought our food (mostly frozen dinners/sandwiches/hot dogs) and returned to the hotel for our meals. We took full advantage of the micro/fridge combo. The proximity to the park is amazing and it allowed us to relax back in the room away from the crowds during our meals, and then head back out for more once we were ready. We planned our meals around our fastpasses, ie, we would get the pass before we left the park, return to the hotel and eat/relax, then back to the front of the line for the attraction we had the pass for. My husband was not as much of an adventurer as the kids and I were, so after dinner, he'd be done, and the kids and I would go back for the fireworks and more rides then walk back. The convenience was completely worth the price. We stayed 2 nights here and were completely satisfied with our experience. We'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank OHmilitaryfamily
Northern California
Reviewed 18 June 2009

Horrible service! We arrived to the Park Vue around 11am and were able to do a "early check-in". At that moment I found out they did not have the room I requested available, so we were given an "upgraded room" with one King bed. I have a young child and one bed was not going to work for two adults and one child. They promised to have an extra bed brought into our room After contacting the main desk three times, I was told that they were sold out of the extra beds. At this time it is 10pm and my child is getting tired. They moved us to another room (the room we had requested originally) that someone just checked out of. The room was supposed to be cleaned, but to my surprise there was hair all over the floor and when I pulled the covers back from the bed, there was hair all over the pillow case and in the bed. I immediately removed the sheets and called for more. When I removed the sheets, there was hair all over the mattress. Are these rooms ever cleaned? I was not able to talk to a manager until the next morning. When I did, she was not helpful what-so-ever and did NOTHING to make up for their mistakes. I do NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. If you do decide to stay here, make sure you check your sheets!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Traveln76
sunny, az
Reviewed 17 June 2009

We stayed 3 nights at the Park Vue Inn. Location was awesome! Was the closest to Disney as you can get except for whichever motel was one the other side of IHOP, I can't remember. We could easily walk to the main gate with our six year olds and 2 year old (in a stroller). The only thing between the motel and disney is a 4 lane street. We got the room with bunkbeds. There was no wall seperating them like I thought from the website. Everything was clean! There was a small fridge, microwave, and single cup coffee maker. We ate the traditional cold continental breakfast that they provide for free. The kids ate donuts and hubby and I had coffee and cereal. Then we snuck some fruit for the road.
The only complaint I would have is the noise factor. We were upstairs so I'm sure that's better, but when some loud people came back from disney close to midnight and then hung out on the walkway in front of the rooms until after 3, you could hear nearly every word. I asked them to keep it down and they went into their rooms. (This is really just basic common courtesy, so if you have respectful people near you it probably isn't an issue) Maybe I'm just a "hotel snob." :-) We will probably try something else next time just because the walls were so thin. If we didn't have kids I might stay further away for a better place. But it worked out great for a family!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family