“Don't expect much”

Red Lion Hotel Anaheim Resort
Ranked #66 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My wife and I spent 7 nights at The Red Lion Inn to attend the D23 Expo and 3 days at Disneyland/California Adventure. When we checked in the blonde woman (I won't embarrass her by giving her name, but it starts with D) who never smiled before , during, or after we checked in. We received a room on the 8th floor, which was OK. The room itself was very nice, but no drawers to unpack. Since we were there for 7 nights, we wanted to unpack. The very small closet was inadequate. A nice touch was the Kerig coffee maker( They should let their customers know that they will provide sub-standard cups(3). We read other reviews and brought our own cups, however housekeeping failed on 2 nights to provide the cheap paper coffee cups, even after I went downstairs in the morning to the front desk to get cups on the first time it happened. The front desk is incapable of handling anything that happens before housekeeping arrives at 7 AM. I left my room number and went back upstairs. The coffee cups never arrived. My wife called housekeeping at 7:30, and 5 cups were delivered. Good thing, 2 days later there were no cups(we hid the extra 3).I will say that the entire place is kept very clean. Everyone (except D) is very friendly, courteous, even if they can't solve your problem. Also, we arrived back after an extended performance by Richard Sherman and Alan Menkin on Saturday night that we found that Red Lion stops any type of food at 9PM. That's very weird for a resort accommodation. Red Lion has a display asking for TripAdvisor comments. Please, focus on the details, and train your staff to handle situations, not just apologize for your inadequacy.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Chris A, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had. I hear you loud and clear regarding your last statement. I want to assure you that your feedback has not fallen on deaf ears. My Team and I are always looking to improve our service. Thank you again for your review. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future. Best regards!

There are newer reviews for Red Lion Hotel Anaheim Resort

Reviewed 16 August 2013

After having a so/so experience at the Fairfield down the street, we had two more days of Disney and needed three more nights somewhere close. The Fairfield was a little sketchy for our tastes, so we looked online and decided on the Red Lion given the good reviews on various websites. I'm so happy we decided to stay here! The room was very nice and clean and large enough for two adults and two children. The pool area is lovely and there is bar and food service. The prices for beer, wine and food were fantastic for the area and the waiter couldn't have been nicer. My children loved the pool.

The walk to Disneyland is only 10 minutes and there's a shuttle to and from the park that only cost $14 for 2 adults and children for the entire day.

We had a meal plan with Disney so we didn't do the breakfast buffet at the hotel, but we did get coffee and it looked really nice.

We paid $94 a night for this hotel and we couldn't have been more pleased with our experience. This is the hotel we will definitely stay in when we go back to Disneyland! Thanks Red Lion!

1  Thank inanna14

Thank you for taking the time in giving us your feedback. I am pleased to read that you really enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad to see that you experienced many of our amenities and more that your children enjoyed them as well. it is great to share great vacations with the family. Thank you for staying with us and please come and visit us soon. Best regards!

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I was reluctant to stay here because I usually stay at hotels across the street Fairfield Marriott or park place inn. Even Disneyland hotel a few times. I did not want to take transit or walk 15 minutes. BUT this was by far the best hotel in the Anaheim resort I have stayed in(for at least a 9night stay). 13 in 10 years. The staff was the friendliest by far the rooms were cleaned every single day, the atmosphere was great, the hotel was clean and totally worth every penny. I will stay here again in February or may on my next visit. I would also like to say the front desk staff(Yesenia, forgive my spelling) for making us feel welcome and for being a great help in general. Thanks Red lion you were above and beyond.

2  Thank ryanunited9

Thank you for taking the time to share your great feedback. It is our pleasure to serve you and your family. I will be sharing your compliments with my staff especially Yesenia and share with her your comments. If you need any assistance with your future reservation please feel free to contact me and thank you for your loyalty! Best regards.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

For what it is, I really enjoyed my stay at the Red Lion. This past week marked the second time I've stayed at the Red Lion while vacationing at Disneyland. I really like this hotel for a couple reasons. First of all, it is within walking distance to Disneyland. I prefer to walk to the park and not pay the $16 for parking when at all possible. The walk really isn't that bad and takes 10-15 minutes depending on how fast you can walk. That does get annoying at the end of the day, but to me it's way worth it. The Red Lion is also really clean and the furnishings are new and fresh, which is something I really appreciate. I've never had the breakfast here, so I can't comment on that, but I do think it's nice they offer it to hotel guests. The service I've received has always been accommodating and friendly.

I would definitely recommend this hotel when traveling to Disneyland. For the quality/price this one cannot be beat!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your feedback with us. It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have to agree the distance between the hotel and the theme parks is great. It gives you a chance to enjoy a fresh walk. We appreciate your loyalty and are excited to have you stay with us again. Best regards!

Reviewed 13 August 2013

This hotel is nothing fancy. Just your average basic hotel but it's great for the price! I was nervous considering it was cheaper than other hotels. It's clean and close to Disney! It's an easy 10 min walk. There are quite a bit of places to eat within walking distance. Look up ahead of time so you know where to stop. The Ihop ouside is a bit pricey. I think parking was $15 a day. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our accommodations. Our proximity to Disney is great and our hotel also works with ART (Anaheim Resort Transit) which will shuttle you to and from the theme parks. If you ever need assistance with reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me. Best regards!

Reviewed 13 August 2013

After doing research online on this hotel, I do not believe that I had my hopes set too high. I understood that it was an older decor hotel but was a great hotel for a cheap vacation to Disneyland. After spending a couple nights here I regret to say that this place is sub-standard for a hotel and is more in-line with a cheap motel. We are currently staying here and the room, particularly the bathroom, is absolutely disgusting. The tub and shower grout is sickening to look at, and the overflow drain to the tub has hair jammed in it and poking out that has probably been there since the hotel was built. After a long day at Disneyland my wife and I came back to the hotel both wanting hot showers/baths to relax in. We were not able to get any hot water for at least an hour after returning. The hair dryer does not function and the air conditioner is caked with a layer of dust that blows out constantly when it is on. I travel frequently for my job (12 weeks+ per year) and have never seen such a poorly kept hotel. Sadly I regret to say that we will never stay at the Red Lion Anaheim, or any other Red Lion again. To end on a positive note, the hotel is relatively close to Disneyland and the breakfast is decent for a free breakfast.

2  Thank Bighands85
Chris A, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share with me your experience. I am sorry for the challenges that you had when you were here. I want you to know that I value your comments and I will be addressing your concerns with my Department Managers. My hope is that we can make sure that we exceed your expectations and create an experience more typical of our hotel. Thank you again for your feedback. Best regards!

Reviewed 9 August 2013

The price was good and the rooms were clean. The distance to the theme parks was great, a person could walk there in just a few minutes. The hotel room decor was old and not what I was expecting, because compared to the other Red Lion's I have stayed at it was a little different and disappointing. The staff was very helpful, however, I noticed that the backdoor didn't lock after 8 pm and I notified the security person about the problem and was told they were fixing the door, but after 3 days when we left the door was still not fixed.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the theme parks were nice because a person can see the fireworks from their room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for giving us your feedback. I am sorry for the malfunction that you experienced with our door lock. I wanted to let you know that our door was malfunctioning and since then, we have replaced the door and it is now in working order. Thank you for staying with us and I hope that you visit us again soon. Best regards!