“Close to Disneyland, room a "tad" shabby, BROKEN INTERNET”

Red Lion Hotel Anaheim Resort
Ranked #64 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersBronze level
Richmond Hill, Canada
“Close to Disneyland, room a "tad" shabby, BROKEN INTERNET”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The hotel is in a great location, very close to Disneyland and several restaurants. Grounds are clean, check-in was friendly and efficient. However, the rooms are a bit antispectic looking for my tastes, especially the faux tile wall paper giving the room the feel of a surgery room than a comfortable hotel room. The room generally seems clean and function but *not* "comfortable", "warm" and "inviting".

The hotel is starting to show some signs of wear and tear, especially around the doors where there are a lot of dings and dents. The tub also had discoloration too, and one of the fixtures on the floor was loose.

For a family on a budget, this hotel will do.

Parking is NOT free, it is 14.00 per night, a bit hefty for this area?

Also, breakfast is not included, it is ~10.00 for adults, kids under 6 eat free, however, next door to the hotel is an iHop which may have better food (if not, there are lots of other restaurants within walking/driving distance).

Internet is HORRIBLE at this hotel - it is even slower than dial-up internet! I was only able to download at 5 - 10KB/s which is unacceptable. I called their support line a couple times of times, and they rebooted the equipment once, but that only resolved the issue temporary for <1 hour minutes. In this day and age, Internet connectivty should not be a second thought but one that is actively addressed - for some, such as me on business travel, broken Internet is like a broken toilet or shower!

Rooms only have two accessible power plugs; considering the number of electronics people have these days, the rooms should be wired with more plugs.

I noticed in the lobby the hotel wants to be #1 on Tripadvisor, but they have some ways to go. Service wise they're fine (nice people), however, the rooms need a make over (the wall paper is awful) and they definitely need a better internet provider.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Chris A, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim Resort, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you for your honest feedback. This type of information is exactly what we need to hear. I want to ensure that all of our guests experience a stay where we exceed their expectations and based on your comments we have things to improve. I must share with you that I agree with your comments regarding the internet access. The hotel is currently in negotiations with our internet service provider to increase our bandwidth to solve this issue. Also, I have shared your feedback with our Department Managers and together we will look into solutions to address your concerns. Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and I hope that you will come back soon. Best regards!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Red Lion for 8 nights in a fireworks view room. Friendly staff, very helpful. Breakfast is good, snack bar also good if your on the run. Coin laundry a life saver. Room was clean but cleaners could have done more - the dust on our bedside tables was a bit ridiculous. 1 stop bus to Disneyland and tours can be easily booked at reception. Will be back for sure our next Disney trip.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us. I am thrilled to read that you chose us for your vacation! I am sorry to read about your comment relating to dust. I have shared your feedback with our Housekeeping Team and I want to assure you we are taking measures to correct this. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance when you book your next stay with us. Thank you again for choosing our hotel. Best regards!
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed her about here February of 2012 and loved it here. I am an annual pass holder of Disneyland, so my group and I bounce around different hotels to see which is the best for us. And I've stayed at some pretty awful hotels. Not here!!!

This is the one hotel we've stayed at and never had a problem. Ever. We've always enjoyed our stay here. The rooms are clean, the beds are extremely comfy. Pillows are great but to one of my friends they are hard.

The bathroom is clean and bright for doing your hair or whatever.

The shuttle to the parks stops right outside the hotel. They have a kiosk to purchase multiple and single day shuttle passes.

We love staying here!!! Cannot wait to be back in the area to stay here again!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Chris A, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim Resort, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. It gives me great joy to see that we continue to meet your standards. We greatly appreciate your loyalty. If there is anything I can be of assistance please feel free to contact me or the hotel directly. We are also very excited for your return. Best regards!
Anaheim
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I have stayed in this hotel on two different trips to Disneyland and have been very pleased both times. Friendly staff, clean and modern rooms, reasonable priced, and a comfortable stay. Very close to disneyland and there is an ihop directly next door.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Chris A, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim Resort, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Thank you for your feedback. It gives me great satisfaction to see that you continue to enjoy your stay with us. Thank you very much for your loyalty, it means a lot to us. If you need any assistance booking your next stay with us please feel free to contact me directly. Looking forward to having you back soon! Best regards!
Anaheim
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The hotel is always in order and clean, the breakfast is included with some rooms and is better than many other hotel breakfasts. The cleanliness of the rooms is pretty consistent, and the pool is usually well maintained. The staff is mostly very kind and patient, although a maid did walk in without knocking, she did apologize. The location is great with only a short bus ride to the parks. I have stayed here several times, and I keep coming back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am glad you were able to enjoy our breakfast buffet. It is great to see that we continue to meet your standards and appreciate your loyalty to us. Please accept my apology regarding the room attendant. I will make sure the Director of Housekeeping coaches all staff to ensure that situations like these are avoided. Please come back and visit us soon. Best regards!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My friend and I stayed here last September for a few days while we played like 10 year olds at Disneyland. The room was clean and spacious and we had a view of the park. The breakfast buffet is well, edible. It's cheap food and fills you up, thats about it. The hotel is only a good 10 min walk to the main entrance of Disneyland. Though when we stayed the high was 106 so that 10 min walk felt like a trudge through a dryer vent. The pool and lounge area were decent. Nothing luxurious but it did the trick to spend a few hours there during the heat of the day. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am glad you took advantage of our amenities and experienced a pleasant stay. If you need any assistance booking your future stay please feel free to contact me or the hotel directly and we will be more than happy to assist you. We can not wait to have you stay with us again! Best regards!
Northern California
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I had already booked a room at a smaller motel near Disneyland when a great deal came up for the Red Lion Hotel, so we decided to change our reservation. As a frequent visitor, I'm always willing to try new lodgings in the area. Check-in was fantastic. We had encountered a million different obstacles during our drive down from Northern California and as a result were checking in at about 1:30 a.m., several hours after we had planned to be there. I kept the front desk informed, by phone, of our constantly changing arrival time. When we finally got there they had everything ready and waiting so we could get to the room and try to get some sleep. Major kudos.

The room was nice enough, and seemed clean. Other reviewers have mentioned the odd choice in wallpaper that kind of resembles cinder blocks. And it's everywhere, even in the bathroom. No biggie, though. The bathroom was updated and the furniture seemed in good condition.

Pros:
*Location. The main reason I chose this hotel, aside from the online deal, was that it is located right next door to Disneyland's Toy Story Parking Lot, which is a bit of a hidden wonder. I often stay at one of the motels right across from Disneyland's main entrance because it's convenient to just walk across the street, or down the block. But it's just as convenient to walk next door to the parking lot and pick up a DL Resort tram that will take you right to the entrance plaza. And they have a portable ticket counter there which is generally much faster than waiting in the long lines at the main ticket booths.
*Free s'mores poolside on Fridays and Saturdays. I really, really wanted to take advantage of this, but we were never on property at the right time.
*Restaurant on-site. Again, we didn't take advantage of it, but that could be a nice perk if you don't want to pile the family in the car for dinner. There's also a little "grocery" on-site for grab & go foods.
*Free wi-fi. Internet access has become kind of a deal-breaker for me in a hotel. The Red Lion has free wi-fi and wired internet access. The reception was decent and logging in was fairly hassle-free
*No "resort fees." Nothing more annoying than having to pay a fee for things you won't be using (such as "complimentary" newspaper, fitness room, etc.)

Cons:
*No complementary breakfast, but they do have a breakfast buffet at the restaurant for, I think, $9.99 per person.
*Charge for parking. I'm not entirely sure how much it is, because our package included free parking.

So, while we had no issues with our stay, and the hotel room was clean and well stocked, I would probably only stay at the Red Lion Hotel again if another great deal came along. Not because the hotel isn't good, but because I try to keep my hotel budget in the $100-$130 per night price range. If I can get off-peak rates, Red Lion will be one of my go-to hotels.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am very glad you gave us an opportunity to serve you and your family. It makes me very happy to know that we were accommodating and you experience a smooth check in process after such a long drive. It is great that you got to enjoy our amenities. Please keep in mind that you can always contact the hotel directly and ask for assistance with your future bookings. We will be more than happy to assist you and offer you our best deal. We hope to have you back soon! Best regards.