“Great value, great amenities, great location! But room for improvement”

Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great value, great amenities, great location! But room for improvement”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed here 3 nights in a studio room. Overall we were very satisfied with our stay. The included amenities are hard to beat at other hotels. Free parking, free wifi, and I have never seen such a great free breakfast at a hotel (and especially a hotel with kitchens in each room!). The grounds are well maintained and the decor is nice, but you can tell it's worn and in need of renovation (which will happen later this year they say), but the rooms were clean and well stocked. You can see some wear and tear on the rooms; soiled spots on the sides of the sofa, frayed edges of the carpet, a few rust spots on the exterior of the fridge, but nothing we couldn't live with. The sheets and towels were clean, everything was free of dust etc. The one small maintenance issue (the diverter was missing in the bathtub) was fixed the same day we reported it. When I called to confirm I asked for a ground floor room (because who wants to trek up and down those stairs after walking all day at Disney??) they said the only one left was on Clementine Street. I was a little nervous because some reviews had mentioned they heard fire sirens all night, but either they didn't run them, or we didn't hear them because we were so exhausted! My niece pointed it out one night as we were getting ready for bed but it wasn't loud at all. (We later visited with some family in town who is a police officer in Anaheim and sometimes at the park, who told us they usually try to wait to turn on sirens until they're on Katella so that might explain it).

The room itself has a few logistical issues I hope will be fixed when it is renovated later this year. There being only one (small) towel rod that's really only for washcloths and hand towels. There was a hook on the back of the bathroom door, but that bathroom is so cramped, and towels never stay on those hooks anyways. And there were several open walls in the bathroom area that would be perfect for a towel rod so we were really confused about why they didn't put any up! (and with the drought California is experiencing we could conserve a little water by reusing our towels if there had been a good place to hang them) Other logistical problems being the two closets were directly across from each other and had bifolding doors. So it could be quite a pain to get by if someone left one closet door open and then someone needed to get into the other closet. I don't really think the room size merited both closets (especially since there was a 3rd closet right by the room entrance) and maybe with the renovations they will take out one of those two closets and add either more walking space from the bathroom area to bedroom area, or make the bathroom itself bigger. It was pretty cramped in the actual bathroom (fine by European standards, but I did NOT want to try and get dressed in there). But the sink is separate from the bathroom which is really nice to have. One problem they might need to address is parking. It is really very tight and we had to park over near the ART stop even though our room was a little ways from there, which wasn't a big deal, except it was a very hilly grassy area without sidewalks to walk the most direct route to the room unless you took a very roundabout way. The first night I nearly tripped over a few sprinkler heads. So I would hope with the renovations they would take out some of the landscaping and put in a sidewalk running between the fence and the buildings to make parking easier to access. Parking also might have been tight, because there was an RV parked sideways taking up at least 4 or 5 spaces towards the front of the property! I read there's more parking in back and if they were going to allow them to park that way, they really should tell them to part at the back where it's not as tight.

The cleaning staff was just a little odd. Did a good job and all, but I left a note saying we could use an extra set of towels (the room came with 3 sets but we had 2 children and 2 adults) and and an extra blanket for the sofa bed and they left a boatload of bathtowels (probably had about 8 total that night!) and a few extra hand towels, but no extra washcloths. We could have called down to the front desk, but were so exhausted every night we didn't feel like it. So washcloths were in short supply! Also they left the extra blanket just folded on the sofa bed each night instead of making it with the regular covers which was a little odd. The cleaning crews left their carts in the middle of the narrow sidewalks and I never actually saw the cleaning crews at their carts which was a little weird. None of these are huge issues, it's easy enough to walk on the grass, but a little annoying with luggage.

Some of the other reviews mentioned that the breakfast room was hopping, and I guess I didn't know what hopping was until I saw this breakfast room! Hopping is a great way to describe it! Lots of tables, lots of people, but we never had a hard time finding a table, and traffic flowed very well! There were always lots of people but the staff handled it well restocking food and clearing tables! And I think they had just about every sort of American breakfast food you might want! scrambled eggs, potatoes, yogurt, waffles, french toast, bacon, oatmeal, cereal, juices etc and they rotated between different potatoes and breakfast meats etc. We looked forward to the breakfast each morning! And the staff at breakfast truly did a great job, when the juice machine was out of order one day, they didn't just say "sorry folks" they set up a drink dispenser with orange juice, but had the machine back up and running the next morning! I will say the red potatoes tasted off the first day, and even the 8 year old in the group noticed something was weird about the strawberry concoction they provided for the yogurt (tasted like they added some sort of artificial strawberry flavoring to the real strawberry syrup mixture or something like that) but we all had plenty to eat without those things! Once again, the breakfast is extremely well done!

It's also convenient that the ART shuttle service picks up and drops off right at the hotel. It's within walking distance to Disney, but my mother isn't able to walk that much so we took the shuttles (I think even without her we would have taken it at night we were so exhausted!)

So overall, room for improvement with layout and logistics, but if you want a clean hotel with lots of included amenities, this is your place! We are planning another quick trip later in the summer and plan to stay here again (if it's not closed for renovations)!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank nezume
Rachel S, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear nezume,

I am thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful stay at our hotel! Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your most recent visit. I appreciate hearing what you loved about our property, along with the feedback you provided, which I will be sure to share with the rest of the management staff. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and we welcome you back any time you visit the Anaheim Resort Area!

rsmith@rimhospitality.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Nice and cozy resort-like hotel. Very spacious rooms with kitchen and table. Staff is helpful and the complimentary breakfast is OK compared to pricelevel. Walking distance from Disney Park and some nice restaurant (Chease Cake Factory just acros the road).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Flemming E
Rachel S, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Flemming E,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you found our suites to be spacious enough for your family to enjoy a cozy vacation. I look forward to seeing you during your next visit to Anaheim!

Indialantic, Florida
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Great, friendly, helpful staff. Brought ice to our room first night, made up the sofa bed for me when I asked, for a guest. Breakfasts were good, hot, changed a little each day. We were here a total of four days with a convention. The grounds are nice, convenient to restaurants and shopping.

Room Tip: Our room was on a street that had a fire department on it. Sirens every night. So close to Disneylan...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you Peterthegreatmlkj for staying with us during your trip to the Anaheim Convention Center! I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay, and that our staff treated you well. I hope to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to Anaheim.

Daniel Island, South Carolina
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here by myself for business for a week. Hotel seems like a cheaper alternative for families than some of the Disney hotels. Not many businessmen staying at the hotel while I was there. Hotel is located within walking distance to many restaurants which was convenient. The hotel is dated. Room was clean however rooms this old can only get so clean. I would probably stay at this hotel if in the area again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jered C
Rachel S, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear Jered C,

Thank you for your review. As you mentioned, our hotel is a great alternative for families who are visiting Disneyland. Our hotel will undergo renovation towards the end of this year which will update the look and feel of our rooms. If you would like to discuss your stay in further detail, please feel free to contact me directly. I look forward to welcoming you again the next time you visit Anaheim.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The overall rating is probably a 3.5. There were several things I liked about the hotel and some I didn't.

The location is great, walking distance to many restaurants and Disneyland. The breakfast buffet is extensive with many hot items. The rooms have mini kitchens which is great, particularly if you want to carry food into Disneyland and avoid their pricey snacks and lunches. I liked that the property was laid out with individual buildings (more like apartments then a hotel.) I was concerned that I might be nervous walking from the car to my room late at night but I felt safe. The walkways are well lit and there always seemed to be people around. The layout contributed to keeping the noise down. The hotel staff was professional and responsive. The breakfast staff was amazing. Since I was there during a holiday weekend, the hotel was packed. The breakfast area was very crowded but the staff helped me find a table and were great about keeping the buffet stocked.

As for the drawbacks of the hotel... There never seemed to be parking spaces available later in the evening. I think the lot was simply too small for the amount of rooms they had. If you have heavy suitcases or a lot of suitcases, it can be a pain to carry them up to the second floor. When I first got there the room was very dark. After a couple of days I called and asked if they could replace the bulbs in the room with brighter ones. They were very accommodating and it made a huge difference. I was sorry I didn't request the change immediately. The furniture was stained and icky looking. There were not enough plugs in the room for charging things like laptops, phones, kindles etc. The bathroom was very small and the shower was worse. I am relatively small and I kept hitting my elbows on the wall when I showered. It fact, the bathroom was so small I found it difficult to shut the door.

I wondered if some of the drawbacks I experienced were due to having a studio room and not a one bedroom suite. I'd definitely consider staying here again and try a one bedroom suite.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Kimberly R, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Cameron S,

I want to start by thanking you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at our hotel. I'm very glad to see you enjoyed the convenience of our proximity to Disneyland and local dining, as well as amenities like our complimentary hot buffet breakfast and full kitchens. I am also appreciative of the kind comments you made about our guest service. Our Front Office and Kitchen team members work very hard to deliver the highest quality service. With that said, I am also grateful for the feedback about the drawbacks during your stay. We take guest feedback seriously and always do our best to learn from reviews like the one you wrote. I would like to take this opportunity to comment on some of your points to help avoid questions or concerns that may arise for future guests. First, I want to confirm we have many more parking spots than suites on our property, but due to the layout of our parking area the majority of the parking is located towards that back of the property. I also want to agree with your recommendation for a larger suite during a future stay. With suites that accommodate up to eight guests, I am certain you would enjoy the added space of a One Bedroom or a Penthouse Suite. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly for additional information on our room types.

All the best,

Roger Rodriguez
Rooms Division Manager
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We just came back from a weekend at Disneyland (Sunday-Thursday) and we stayed in one of the suites w/a master bedroom loft. We came in with a party of 14 total (7 adults, 7 kids) and split up between two of those suites and we fit in perfectly fine. The kitchens are fully equipped, the rooms are very comfortable and the breakfast? Man. One of the best I've ever had w/the kids. You get a new selection of some special items each day! The pool is a little on the small side, but most people don't come to this hotel to swim in the pool all day. It is open 24 hours and is an outside pool with a little kiddie pool (1-1/2' deep) and a spa so those extra bonuses make up for the smaller size. Overall, we were very happy with this place and will most likely make this place our GO TO spot for our Disney vacations!

Room Tip: We got a loft with our room, so a king up top, a downstairs room with two queens, and a pull-out sof...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Zemirah L
Rachel S, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you Zemirah L for your excellent review! I am glad to hear that your family found our hotel to be of great value, and that you all enjoyed our breakfast. With 14 people in your party, it sounds like you all had lots of fun during your visit! We look forward to being your new home any time your family travels to the Anaheim Resort Area!

UK
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Well - we have been to Disneyland many times and this is the first time we have stayed here. We will not stay anywhere else now.
Breakfast was fine - hardly the Ritz, but hey! Rooms were of an excellent size and cleaned to perfection, the pool pleasant and the staff friendly.
You will see some reviews that suggest it is a long walk to Disneyland. Well - it's not. Anyone who says it is needs to reacquaint themselves with their feet. We found many people walking, including those with young children, strollers and senior citizens - so that's no excuse!. Its 11 minutes (we timed it). Anyone who drives is mad... you will actually drive away from Disney, argue for a parking space, wait for a bus and then slowly head into the resort. If you walk, you will arrive quicker and burn a few more calories too (much needed after breakfast). The hotel has a shuttle - but why pay when you can walk for free?

Room Tip: top floor rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Rachel S, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear musicmanbrain,

Thank you for your review and helpful tips! I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and your trip to Disneyland. We are happy to be your home away from home any time you visit Anaheim!