“Close to Disney”

Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate
Ranked #44 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The hotel is nice. We walked to Disney from there. The pool wasn't good as it was too small and crowded. There was a complementary breakfast that I really liked. I had cereal and fruit which was a break from eggs. They had eggs too. There was a self serve laundry which was good.

Room Tip: We had a suite with a sofa bed and a kitchen.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Rachel S, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear feenst128,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast, and self-service laundry facility. I am sorry to hear about the crowd you experienced at the pool. One amenity that our hotel offers is 24 hour usage of our pool and hot tub so that guests are free to use it any time they please. Thank you again for your review. I hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We just stayed at this Residence in from June 9th to June 11th during our visit to the Disneyland Resort in California.

There were 7 people in our party and needed a large room with many beds - so, we booked the Penthouse (or something like that) that has 2 double beds and a sofa bed downstairs and a king size bed upstairs in a loft type of room. There are 2 full bathrooms and the typical kitchen found in Residence Inn rooms.

This is a typical older Residence Inn - clean rooms, needs some updating, great hot breakfast each morning, etc. If you've never stayed in a Residence Inn you are not getting luxury but if you're at the parks all day it doesn't really matter. It also includes free wifi, USA Today papers, and FREE parking (many hotels/motels charge for parking near Disney).

The walk to Disney is about 10 to 15 minutes depending on your pace. We walked each day/night but there is a bus service you can use for $5/day unlimited use.

This hotel is located on the opposite side of the Disneyland hotel resort hotels.

If you're a Costco member - I highly recommend booking with Costco Travel. We got a lot of free 'added benefits" such as a lanyard and nice pin, luggage tags, $20 Disney gift card, one free 5x7 photo from a fun ride (we used our family photo from Splash Mountain) and best of all -- $45 per person credit for dining! It's given as a Deluxe Character Dining credit (10+ years older = $45 credit; 3-9 years get a $22 credit) BUT - you can use at any Disney owned restaurant (not Downtown Disney) for a one time use. We took major advantage and ate at the wonderful Napa Rose!

Enjoy!

4  Thank lewistexas

Dear lewistexas,

Thank you for your detailed review of our property and helpful suggestions for future guests. I am glad to hear that we were able to accommodate your party comfortably in the Penthouse suite. I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Anaheim!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed here 3 nights in a studio room. Overall we were very satisfied with our stay. The included amenities are hard to beat at other hotels. Free parking, free wifi, and I have never seen such a great free breakfast at a hotel (and especially a hotel with kitchens in each room!). The grounds are well maintained and the decor is nice, but you can tell it's worn and in need of renovation (which will happen later this year they say), but the rooms were clean and well stocked. You can see some wear and tear on the rooms; soiled spots on the sides of the sofa, frayed edges of the carpet, a few rust spots on the exterior of the fridge, but nothing we couldn't live with. The sheets and towels were clean, everything was free of dust etc. The one small maintenance issue (the diverter was missing in the bathtub) was fixed the same day we reported it. When I called to confirm I asked for a ground floor room (because who wants to trek up and down those stairs after walking all day at Disney??) they said the only one left was on Clementine Street. I was a little nervous because some reviews had mentioned they heard fire sirens all night, but either they didn't run them, or we didn't hear them because we were so exhausted! My niece pointed it out one night as we were getting ready for bed but it wasn't loud at all. (We later visited with some family in town who is a police officer in Anaheim and sometimes at the park, who told us they usually try to wait to turn on sirens until they're on Katella so that might explain it).

The room itself has a few logistical issues I hope will be fixed when it is renovated later this year. There being only one (small) towel rod that's really only for washcloths and hand towels. There was a hook on the back of the bathroom door, but that bathroom is so cramped, and towels never stay on those hooks anyways. And there were several open walls in the bathroom area that would be perfect for a towel rod so we were really confused about why they didn't put any up! (and with the drought California is experiencing we could conserve a little water by reusing our towels if there had been a good place to hang them) Other logistical problems being the two closets were directly across from each other and had bifolding doors. So it could be quite a pain to get by if someone left one closet door open and then someone needed to get into the other closet. I don't really think the room size merited both closets (especially since there was a 3rd closet right by the room entrance) and maybe with the renovations they will take out one of those two closets and add either more walking space from the bathroom area to bedroom area, or make the bathroom itself bigger. It was pretty cramped in the actual bathroom (fine by European standards, but I did NOT want to try and get dressed in there). But the sink is separate from the bathroom which is really nice to have. One problem they might need to address is parking. It is really very tight and we had to park over near the ART stop even though our room was a little ways from there, which wasn't a big deal, except it was a very hilly grassy area without sidewalks to walk the most direct route to the room unless you took a very roundabout way. The first night I nearly tripped over a few sprinkler heads. So I would hope with the renovations they would take out some of the landscaping and put in a sidewalk running between the fence and the buildings to make parking easier to access. Parking also might have been tight, because there was an RV parked sideways taking up at least 4 or 5 spaces towards the front of the property! I read there's more parking in back and if they were going to allow them to park that way, they really should tell them to part at the back where it's not as tight.

The cleaning staff was just a little odd. Did a good job and all, but I left a note saying we could use an extra set of towels (the room came with 3 sets but we had 2 children and 2 adults) and and an extra blanket for the sofa bed and they left a boatload of bathtowels (probably had about 8 total that night!) and a few extra hand towels, but no extra washcloths. We could have called down to the front desk, but were so exhausted every night we didn't feel like it. So washcloths were in short supply! Also they left the extra blanket just folded on the sofa bed each night instead of making it with the regular covers which was a little odd. The cleaning crews left their carts in the middle of the narrow sidewalks and I never actually saw the cleaning crews at their carts which was a little weird. None of these are huge issues, it's easy enough to walk on the grass, but a little annoying with luggage.

Some of the other reviews mentioned that the breakfast room was hopping, and I guess I didn't know what hopping was until I saw this breakfast room! Hopping is a great way to describe it! Lots of tables, lots of people, but we never had a hard time finding a table, and traffic flowed very well! There were always lots of people but the staff handled it well restocking food and clearing tables! And I think they had just about every sort of American breakfast food you might want! scrambled eggs, potatoes, yogurt, waffles, french toast, bacon, oatmeal, cereal, juices etc and they rotated between different potatoes and breakfast meats etc. We looked forward to the breakfast each morning! And the staff at breakfast truly did a great job, when the juice machine was out of order one day, they didn't just say "sorry folks" they set up a drink dispenser with orange juice, but had the machine back up and running the next morning! I will say the red potatoes tasted off the first day, and even the 8 year old in the group noticed something was weird about the strawberry concoction they provided for the yogurt (tasted like they added some sort of artificial strawberry flavoring to the real strawberry syrup mixture or something like that) but we all had plenty to eat without those things! Once again, the breakfast is extremely well done!

It's also convenient that the ART shuttle service picks up and drops off right at the hotel. It's within walking distance to Disney, but my mother isn't able to walk that much so we took the shuttles (I think even without her we would have taken it at night we were so exhausted!)

So overall, room for improvement with layout and logistics, but if you want a clean hotel with lots of included amenities, this is your place! We are planning another quick trip later in the summer and plan to stay here again (if it's not closed for renovations)!

1  Thank nezume
Rachel S, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear nezume,

I am thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful stay at our hotel! Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your most recent visit. I appreciate hearing what you loved about our property, along with the feedback you provided, which I will be sure to share with the rest of the management staff. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and we welcome you back any time you visit the Anaheim Resort Area!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Nice and cozy resort-like hotel. Very spacious rooms with kitchen and table. Staff is helpful and the complimentary breakfast is OK compared to pricelevel. Walking distance from Disney Park and some nice restaurant (Chease Cake Factory just acros the road).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Flemming E
Rachel S, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Flemming E,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you found our suites to be spacious enough for your family to enjoy a cozy vacation. I look forward to seeing you during your next visit to Anaheim!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Great, friendly, helpful staff. Brought ice to our room first night, made up the sofa bed for me when I asked, for a guest. Breakfasts were good, hot, changed a little each day. We were here a total of four days with a convention. The grounds are nice, convenient to restaurants and shopping.

Room Tip: Our room was on a street that had a fire department on it. Sirens every night. So close to Disneylan...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you Peterthegreatmlkj for staying with us during your trip to the Anaheim Convention Center! I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay, and that our staff treated you well. I hope to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to Anaheim.

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here by myself for business for a week. Hotel seems like a cheaper alternative for families than some of the Disney hotels. Not many businessmen staying at the hotel while I was there. Hotel is located within walking distance to many restaurants which was convenient. The hotel is dated. Room was clean however rooms this old can only get so clean. I would probably stay at this hotel if in the area again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Jered C
Rachel S, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear Jered C,

Thank you for your review. As you mentioned, our hotel is a great alternative for families who are visiting Disneyland. Our hotel will undergo renovation towards the end of this year which will update the look and feel of our rooms. If you would like to discuss your stay in further detail, please feel free to contact me directly. I look forward to welcoming you again the next time you visit Anaheim.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The overall rating is probably a 3.5. There were several things I liked about the hotel and some I didn't.

The location is great, walking distance to many restaurants and Disneyland. The breakfast buffet is extensive with many hot items. The rooms have mini kitchens which is great, particularly if you want to carry food into Disneyland and avoid their pricey snacks and lunches. I liked that the property was laid out with individual buildings (more like apartments then a hotel.) I was concerned that I might be nervous walking from the car to my room late at night but I felt safe. The walkways are well lit and there always seemed to be people around. The layout contributed to keeping the noise down. The hotel staff was professional and responsive. The breakfast staff was amazing. Since I was there during a holiday weekend, the hotel was packed. The breakfast area was very crowded but the staff helped me find a table and were great about keeping the buffet stocked.

As for the drawbacks of the hotel... There never seemed to be parking spaces available later in the evening. I think the lot was simply too small for the amount of rooms they had. If you have heavy suitcases or a lot of suitcases, it can be a pain to carry them up to the second floor. When I first got there the room was very dark. After a couple of days I called and asked if they could replace the bulbs in the room with brighter ones. They were very accommodating and it made a huge difference. I was sorry I didn't request the change immediately. The furniture was stained and icky looking. There were not enough plugs in the room for charging things like laptops, phones, kindles etc. The bathroom was very small and the shower was worse. I am relatively small and I kept hitting my elbows on the wall when I showered. It fact, the bathroom was so small I found it difficult to shut the door.

I wondered if some of the drawbacks I experienced were due to having a studio room and not a one bedroom suite. I'd definitely consider staying here again and try a one bedroom suite.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Kimberly R, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Cameron S,

I want to start by thanking you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at our hotel. I'm very glad to see you enjoyed the convenience of our proximity to Disneyland and local dining, as well as amenities like our complimentary hot buffet breakfast and full kitchens. I am also appreciative of the kind comments you made about our guest service. Our Front Office and Kitchen team members work very hard to deliver the highest quality service. With that said, I am also grateful for the feedback about the drawbacks during your stay. We take guest feedback seriously and always do our best to learn from reviews like the one you wrote. I would like to take this opportunity to comment on some of your points to help avoid questions or concerns that may arise for future guests. First, I want to confirm we have many more parking spots than suites on our property, but due to the layout of our parking area the majority of the parking is located towards that back of the property. I also want to agree with your recommendation for a larger suite during a future stay. With suites that accommodate up to eight guests, I am certain you would enjoy the added space of a One Bedroom or a Penthouse Suite. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly for additional information on our room types.

All the best,