“Convenient hotel for trip to Disney”

Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Springfield, MA
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My family and I (husband, 15 month old and 5 year old) stayed here for 4 nights while on vacation. Overall, the place was exactly what we were looking for but there were a few hiccups on the first day. Once we went to bed Sunday, things were great.

The good news - staff was patient, helpful and pretty quick to respond to concerns, heated pool (with baby pool), large rooms on 2nd floor with full kitchen, on-site pay laundry, nice free breakfast, free parking, free wifi, 15 minute walk to Disney turnstiles, short walk and drive to eating and shopping, Disney tickets could be purchased in lobby

The bad news - We checked in around 4:30 on a Sunday and unloaded our belongings. Moved a chair to put pack and play in living room and found large crumbs under chair. We called and they sent someone up very quickly to vacuum - I hate calling for things like this, but we had a 15 month old who would try to eat all of these crumbs if they were not removed. It was about 90 degrees outside and the AC in the room was on and we went out to grab a bit to eat and some necessities at the store. By the time we got back to the hotel around 7:00ish, the room was still 83 degrees and not getting cooler. I checked to make sure the AC was on "cool" and not "heat" and decreases the temperature more hoping it would cool down. Unfortunately, it held steady at 83 degrees. I called the front desk and they quickly sent someone to check it and he told me that the AC was set to "heat" and not "cool" and that it should now start working. I was a little upset, because I knew this was not true, but I waited and saw that they temp still did not go down. I went to the front desk and they said they would send someone again to the room and that we could move to another room, but they only had smaller rooms available so we would have to pack up everything (including two children trying to go to sleep) and move to a smaller room. We started packing our things to move to a smaller room and then someone came and checked the AC generator??? and filled it with some fluid and told us that it should be working now. I was a little worried that we would wake up and have no AC again, but we decided to stay in this room and risk it.

Fortunately, the AC worked great for the rest of the time we were there. I was very frustrated by the lack of a functioning AC and with all of the back and forth, I was not able to unpack, do some laundry and get kids to bed at reasonable time like I had hoped that first night. With all of that, I was pleasantly surprised with the patience and help the front desk provided. They also discounted our room for the 4 nights for the trouble. Once I went to bed the first night, the rest of the stay was fantastic.

As frustrating as it was that first night, I was happy with the resolution. I hope to never have that kind of trouble again, but I understand these things happen and with the way they handled it, I would go back again. One lesson I learned though - keep going to front desk until problem is solved because if we did not keep in contact with the front desk, we would not have had AC the entire time we were there.

Room Tip: Ask for room on second floor - I believe they are bigger. Also, request not to be near main street...
3 Thank Frenchfrylover
Rachel S, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Frenchfrylover,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I hope your family had a lovely time visiting Disneyland! I am very sorry to hear of all the troubles you had with the A/C unit in your room. Thank you for being so understanding about the situation. I am pleased to hear that the front desk was able to accommodate your needs and that we had your A/C back up and running again in a timely manner, leaving you pleased with the resolution. Thank you again for your review, and I hope to welcome you back the next time you visit the Anaheim Resort Area!

North Attleboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

The front desk staff at this hotel is exceptional-- friendly and provide all the information you need at check in to understand the hotel/amenities and things like how to walk to Disney. These are the only positive things I can say about this hotel. Rooms are very dated, musty smelling and dark/damp. The air conditioner cooled the room but it is not consistent-- blows freezing cold air on those sleeping in the beds and then shuts off. Walls are so thin we thought we had a cheerleading team practicing above us when a family with small children arrived at 1 am-- probably would recommend staying in a 2nd floor room to avoid this as it woke up our entire family. The only reason this is not a 2* Marriott property and has such exorbitant rates is because of its proximity to Disney. The only reason i gave 3 stars instead of less is because it seems to me like this property is 'average' compared to what I saw in a 2 mile radius of Disney. I will never stay here or in Anaheim again and from what I could tell looking around Anaheim if you want a hotel with amenities newer than those offered in the 1980s, stay in one of the Disney properties or stay in LA-- I really wish we did!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Nancy V
Rachel S, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Nancy V,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to know that our front desk staff did an exceptional job in providing you information about the hotel and nearby attractions. I am sorry to hear that the room you stayed in did not meet your expectations. Our hotel will undergo in-room renovations in the near future which will give our hotel a fresh look. I hope you give us a second opportunity to serve you the next time you visit the Anaheim Resort Area.

All the best,

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate in Anaheim, CA from August 2nd - August 6th and we had a wonderful experience! First of all, the staff at this hotel is very professional, courteous and responsive! Everytime we asked for something, they promptly responded! The rooms were very clean and spacious! We stayed in 2 rooms, a one bedroom suite and a penthouse suite. The beds were comfortable and we adjusted the air conditioners within each room to keep the rooms on the cool side at between 65F-68F. We slept very well and noise was not an issue except around 10 PM at night, we could hear the fireworks from Disneyland and yes, we went outside to watch the fireworks and our kids loved that!

Added bonuses in each room included dishes and silverware, a dishwasher, large refridgerator, dishwashing detergent, free internet wi-fi. We had 2 flat screen TV's in the one bedroom suite and 3 flat screen TV's in the penthouse suite. The location of the rooms were great for us as they are just across from the building where main office/reception area is located. Also, the pool, basketball/volleyball court, and laundry area were just across a driveway from our rooms. The temperature of the water in the pool was very comfortable (warm). There is also a whirlpool/hot tub. Our had 2 vehicles and parked in the parking lot right outside of our rooms.

This hotel is in a perfect location within walking distance to Disneyland (about 10-15 minute walk to Disneyland) and within walking distance to many restaurants etc....Cheesecake Factory Restaurant is with a 2 minute walk from this hotel! We purchased tickets to Disneyland as well as tickets for a shuttle to take us to Disneyland from the hotel.The shuttle (shuttle # 7) which came by the hotel very 20 minute starting at the top of each hour, picked us up from the hotel and transported us to Disneyland. We also purchased drinks, snacks and other items either from the hotel or from a nearby convenience store. Complimentary breakfast is provided by the hotel.

Our stay at the Marriott Residence Inn - Maingate in Anaheim, CA was truly a 5-STAR experience! We have stayed at many other 5-Star hotels in other areas and the Marriott Residence Inn Maingate in Anaheim, CA is second to none. If you are looking for a hotel in a great location, professional, courteous and responsive staff, and clean and spacious rooms, we highly recommend the Marriott Residence Inn Maingate in Anaheim, CA!

A special thanks to this hotel's staff Donna, Brooke & Stephanie for their professionalism and excellent customer service which helped to make our stay at the Residence Inn Maingate in Anaheim, CA a truly wonderful and memorable experience!

About this reviewer: family from the Midwest (travelled with 2 kids ages 8 and 10). 2 adults and 2 kids stayed in one bedroom suite, 6 adults stayed in penthouse suite. Very selective about customer service, location and cleanliness.

Room Tip: Choose room 212 (one bedroom suite) or 222 (penthouse suite) since both of these rooms are near the...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Brooke M, Guest Service Specialist at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear TVT_10,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a detailed review of your recent stay. We strive to deliver quality customer service to all of our guests and we appreciate your kind comments! We thank you for the opportunity to serve you and be a part of your Disney experience. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Have stayed at this property twice now for Disneyland weekend trips. Just like every other hotel that is walking distance from Disney, this hotel sees lots of use and some of the rooms show that. Breakfast is crowded but a decent selection of food - just like the park the earlier you go the better. It is the extra space and kitchen that will bring us back again. Having a 'home' cooked meal, fridge full of beer, and separate sitting area at the end of the day while the kids sleep is worth the extra cost for us.

Room Tip: First floor rooms have a semi-private outdoor sitting area.
Dear cnyn_junkie,

Thank you for your review and for the opportunity to serve you a second time! I am glad that you enjoyed our homey and spacious suites. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next weekend trip to Disneyland.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed there with the family for the purposes of visiting Disneyland. Disneyland was about 1/2 mile away. We walked there and it took about 10 minutes. Hotel was clean and very comfortable. Close to restaurants and some shopping as well. If you have a rental car just leave it at the hotel and either walk or pay for the $5 pp shuttle to Disneyland. Don't drive to Disneyland cause you still have to take a shuttle from the parking lot to the Park which is about two/three blocks away. In my opinion it was faster to walk. Hotel offers free hot buffet every morning and the pool is open 24hours a day. I would definitely go back if I every go to Disneyland again. One additional point, my 19 year old daughter said that the sofabed wasn't comfortable at all to sleep on. Maybe better mattresses would help.

Room Tip: If you have lots of luggage you might want to request a first floor room. There are no elevators.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear 42Will,

Thank you so much for your review and helpful tips for guests. As you stated, the city of Anaheim does offer a shuttle, which costs $5 per day for adults and $2 for children or seniors. I am sorry to hear that the sofa bed was not comfortable for your daughter. We do offer mattress pads upon request to make the bed more comfortable. Thank you again for your review, it would be wonderful to serve you again if you decide to visit Disneyland in the future.

Richardson, Texas
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We chose this particular hotel because we wanted to have 6 people in one room, as well as a kitchen area. The photos showed a basically decent hotel that needed renovation, but should meet our criteria. The hotel is set up similar to an apartment complex, but less parking convenience. Fortunately they have roller carts in the lobby to unpack your car and take your things to your room. First let me say that the front desk staff was exceptionally nice and helpful. We also bought our tickets from the Disney desk which was very easy. Our room was at the far reaches of the complex, but was a nice location in that you could see the fireworks easily at Disneyland. The grounds are very pleasant and well-landscaped. Inside the room, ours had a living room area, kitchen area, and "bedroom" with the bathroom. The counter area for the bathroom was sufficient, but I think when they remodel they should consider putting a door up between the bedroom and counter area, no one can sleep while someone is at the bathroom counter. The part that does have a door is a tub/shower area and toilet, and is so small that you have to maneuver around in to get the door closed. There is one small towel rack to hang towels, so if you are trying to be efficient as they ask, there is no place to hang and dry your towel. We had 6 in the room, and should have requested enough towels, it was set up for 4. The furniture unfortunately is rather disgusting, there were visible stains on the sofa. The sofa bed was absolutely appalling, in that the springs were loud and loose, and the mattress also had springs in it with literally about an inch of padding. This sofa bed was a terrible alternative for the extra people in our room. In trying to be fair in the next part of this review, I am sure it is difficult to maintain an entire kitchen that people come and go through all the time. However, we should NOT have seen a dead cockroach on the floor. The silverware in the drawer was actually dirty, and there was no reason to want to cook any food, let alone lay it out and prepare simple food. They also serve a free breakfast at the hotel. This hotel is obviously very busy, as it was hard to find seating, but the food on the two mornings we were there was undercooked and not very appetizing. Overall, this room was spacious and well-located for our purposes, but I would not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TinaL38
Rachel S, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear TinaL38,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you were pleased with the service of the front desk staff, and that the Disney desk proved to be of convenience for you. Unfortunately, we did not meet your- or our own standards with the rooms. Please accept our sincerest apologies. I would appreciate if you would contact me directly so that I may receive the full details of your stay to ensure any necessary issues are resolved.