“stayed in Small Room”

Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate
Ranked #31 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
“stayed in Small Room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2009

Just stayed there 1/15-1/19/09.

Got a package deal with AAA to combine the hotel and Disney tickets, so I got a pretty decent deal compared to if I had booked everything separately. And I was able to get a partial week, which I couldn't do on the Marriott website. In terms of value, we got a decent sized room for me, my 8 yr old and my 16 yr old. The kitchen was nice; it had plates, silverware, cooking utensils, pitcher, cookware and a full size frig and freezer, stovetop with oven, microwave and the small table to sit at and munch on things.

We were in unit 813 (bldg 8) near the basketball court and pool area. I asked the front desk when I checked in, if I could have a room that was centrally located towards the front area, because I have a bad leg and wasn't wanting to have to walk any further than necessary to get to places. She put us on the first floor and one bldg from the Gatehouse. Our parking space was available right in front of the room most times, if not about 15 feet over. So this was nice. We did see areas where they're further back and inset from the parking lot. So, if you need to be close to the car, then let them know. I noticed they had a security guard who mostly hung out on our side of the complex, which was OK by me. He was always near our car, so I was happy about that.

The ART stops at Bldg 6, so it was less than about 30 steps from our door. It took awhile for it to come, then it doesn't go straight to the park. It goes around Disney Way, up north to Howard Johnsons then over to Harbor, and south along the park to enter the ART area in front of hte security tables. It's route 7, so its one of the closer stops to the entrance. It's $3 for an adult all day pass, $1 for kids under 9. Same price for one way cash fare getting on the shuttle - so I bought the day pass at the Disney desk and had it for a round trip. well, all in all, it took about 15 min for it to come, which was about 5 min later than the stated time the desk said it would arrive. Then with the drive, we got there about 8 min later. My older daughter (who runs long distance cross country) was upset at me, saying I was lazy - and that we should have walked. We had walked the day before, and it was longer than I thought though, and we crossed up along Harbor, in front of all the hotels, and I was wishing I had booked Best Western or something cuz of the walk. But I had stayed at Camelot before, and thought it would be nicer to have a larger room and nicer breakfast. While I did get that, I did miss being across the street. Next time, if I go for a short stay, I'm going back there. What was worse, was after the long day walking around, my legs and feet were throbbing, and I hadn't gone to the bathroom before we left the park, and I had to go so bad, it was a LONG walk back to the room. Especially with an 8 yr old who was complaining as much as I was. The 16 yr old agreed it seemed further walking back to the room, than earlier in the day getting to the park. (rest and excitement does a lot for your outlook on distance). Oh, since we had free parking at the Mickey & friends parking lot, I thought I'd try it on the 3rd day for comparance. AGH - don't do it. Better to walk and suffer. we ended up almost walking the same distances to get around the lot and waiting for shuttles, then walking from the stop to the entrance of Disneyland. How stupid... I felt like kicking myself in the butt - and couldn't walk back since I had the car in the lot. So, stupid me decided to take the Monorail out to Downtown and get the shuttle right? waited for 3 monorails before I could get on.... then it took us to the Downtown stop which is next to Rainforest Cafe. Good if you're staying at Disneyland Hotel. Not good if you need to get the shuttle. I couldn't find it. I asked a security guard and he said to walk towards the park again - its on the far side closer to the park. Sure didn't seem like it when I got there. He suggested walking straight back to the lot, which is about 1/2 mile. I went to the shuttle... found hundreds of people waiting for it and nearly collapsed. since I had a walking cane, and I was starting to cry.... the Disney tram folks saw me and said to get on the handicap ramp. Turns out the stop is a few feet closer for them - so I hopped on before everyone else. Thank gosh. by the time I got back to the car, it was about 35-40 min from the time we started waiting for the monorail. we could have walked out the park and back to thehotel and been in a warm shower in that time - even with my hobbling along. Worst part is, I couldn't find a taxi to save my life til I got back to the hotel. Must be a traffic control thing at Disney.

Maid service comes later in afternoon, so at least there's no one banging on the door early in the morning like some hotels.

But for those of you who would want to at least be forewarned about the smaller complaints:
We put my 16 yr old on the folding out couch - she said it was thin,she could feel the metal on the bottom side, and figured it'd be better to keep it closed. She ended up sleeping on top of couch instead, but barely fit the other way scrunched up and she's only 5'4". She said it was still more comfortable than rolling it out. Room is not as wide as photo tho, and we had to move the TV out of the way with the coffee table to open the bed up. When its open, there's not much space.

Kids didnt notice it really, but I could hear this low mechanical noise going all night.... in the vents. Sounded like someone snoring loud in the next room and it reverberated through the vent. Since I could hear it going all night and all different times of day, I guess it was some motor or something. Like someone left the fan on their room upstairs all day and night.

I didnt think the room was musty and I have allergies. I'm the first to complain if it stinks or its musty, but it wasn't. room was clean and clear of dust. Rug seems like it could use a good carpet cleaning, but it wasn't overly filthy. they had two closets (good) but when you open the doors of both, they hit each other. There's not much room to pass by if you're in the way getting clothes out of closet and someone needs to go to bathroom.

Showers have nice HOT water, good waterflow. Had no problems taking a shower. I brought my own soap and shampoos, but didn't need to. They had them there if you need it. They don't have shower caps tho, so if you need one, bring it.

Breakfast was good, provided nice variety, and they'd change out the meat every day, and sometimes had pancakes or french toast. Potatos were a hit... girls loved them. We made waffles every day. And they had plenty of cereal and milk and bread products around. If you're coming in at the end, be prepared to eat fast. they start wrapping things up and removing everything about 5 minutes after the closing time and if you walk in at 9:45, you better get everything you want when you first come in. if you eat something and want more, its gone by the time you get up again. breakfast times are diff on weekend - 6:30-9:30 AM on mon-Fri; 7-10AM on weekend. I had to be somewhere on Sunday morning at 7:30, and couldn't get breakfast. If it had started at 6:30, I could have grabbed something to take with me. So I had leftover coupons at the end. waste of a good breakfast.
I brought some oatmeal packets, and oranges/apples with me, so I'd have something to eat that morning.

Gardenwalk - is right next to hotel - BUT, note that you can't walk straight into it. You have to walk up to Disney way, go about a half block, and walk into complex - or down Clementine to Cheesecake Factory (easy enough), walk along Katella a few feet, then into complex for stuff like the movie theatres. cool stuff in there. Johnny rockets is in there - cheapest place to eat I think, and the hot dogs are still over $6 each. Kids shakes are over 3 bucks. Best bargain - $5 for a waffle cone and mix in, at Marble Slab creamery - try the double dark chocolate.....yum. Theatre is expensive, but unique if you're over 21. they have theatres where you can drink and watch a movie. neat concept - they should do it in Vegas!

We waited for 1 hour, 20 minutes on a saturday nite for a table for 6 at Cheesecake Factory starting at 7:20. Phew. That was a long night after a long day at park. We were quoted 45 min to an hour. People take forever to leave.... so avoid that night and time, or grab a menu, take it back to room and eat it.

Hope this helps! Overall, hotel was nice - but I picked it for the proximity to Disneyland. Knowing I could stay closer at a suitable enough place, I'd opt for one of them if you're not a good walker. the only one who held up ok was my 16 yr old.

• Liked — great kitchen and amenities; nice breakfast
  • Disliked — breakfast hours not open early enough; could hear people upstairs running around
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank nancyhi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2009

we are a family of 5, stayed at the Residence Inn for 3 nights in December, in a 2 bedroom suite. We have stayed at several Residence Inns over time, all wonderful places to stay.

Like other reviewers, this place is quiet, great facilities, staff friendly and helpful and lovely breakfast. Yes, the shuttle bus didnt seem to run to a timetable, so we mainly walked to Disney. If you have elderly or young children be aware these 2 bedroom suites involve stairs.

Be aware that the main bedroom, is a loft room (more stairs) with a bathroom but only a dwarf wall surrounding it. So noise from lower area can be heard, also there is a problem with privacy, if you and your partner want to sit up and talk or watch tv.

it still is a lovely place to stay, but we have stayed several times at the Residence Inn Garden Grove, which I believe is nicer and a ontime shuttle service and a lot cheaper.

• Liked — 2 bedroom selfcontained and full breakfast
  • Disliked — loft bedroom
4 Thank aussietraveller57
Sacramento, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2009

This is our second stay at this hotel. It's a typical Residence Inn. Front desk staff is friendly and helpful. Breakfast buffet is plentiful. I would recommend rooms further away from S. Clementine St. While the street is not a busy one, there is a fire station nearby and sirens from the fire trucks can be troublesome.

The only significant problem we have had both stays is the ART shuttle to and from Disneyland. They say the shuttle runs every 20 minutes. We have waited as long as 45 minutes. There is no particular schedule- they just say every 20 minutes, but not at a specific time. After waiting 45 minutes, I asked the driver and he said it runs maybe every 20 or 25 minutes, but longer when they have a change of driver. In any event, we have found the shuttle totally undependable. It is an easy walk to Disneyland, but with two tired children on the way back, walking 10-12 minutes back wasn't appealing. But waiting 45 minutes for the shuttle wasn't either.For this reason only, I doubt we will stay at this hotel again on our next visit to Disneyland.

• Liked — Size of rooms. Free breakfast.
  • Disliked — Shuttle to & from Disneyland
  • Stayed January 2009
4 Thank JIMCHI
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2009

Our family of 2 adults and 2 children stayed at Residence Inn for 3 nights in September. Our suite was satisfactory for our stay but the Residence Inn is looking a little old and tired. Our suite had a lounge and dining area as well as a good sized self-contained kitchen and a separate bedroom. The space was great as we'd been travelling for 2 weeks and were starting to feel a little cramped. We could put the kids to bed at night and stay up and watch t.v. etc. without disturbing their sleep. The hotel was close enough to Disneyland, probably a brisk 15 minute walk (we stayed at the Candy Cane Inn on this trip also and the Candy Cane is closer with an easier walk to Disneyland). They do have a shuttle service but it was not free (The Candy Cane Inn offers a free shuttle bus). The hotel rooms look like they've been renovated at some stage, the carpet looks new and the kitchen looked fairly new also. It just had an old, worn, tired feel to it. It was clean though and there was plenty of free parking. Staff were friendly enough. The breakfast that was included was pretty good. They alternated the menu each day and had more choices than some other hotels. The laundry was handy and our room was quiet. The pool was a little crowded and noisy, but the kids still enjoyed it. They stock basic stuff like milk at reception so you can grab a bottle and bill it to your room. Overall, the Residence Inn is pretty good for the price. If you want space to stretch out and relax a little after a big day out at Disneyland, and the ability to prepare a proper meal, this is a good choice. If you don't care about space and you want somewhere really close to Disneyland, there are closer hotels.

• Liked — Really spacious and breakfast was quite good
  • Disliked — Not as close to Disneyland as some other hotels and the shuttle bus wasn't free
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank MELfromOZ
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2009

Our family of 5 stayed at Residence Inn Maingate Anaheim for 7 nights just after Christmas and through the new year. We had a one-bedroom suite with 2 queen size beds in the bedroom plus a sofabed. It was fairly spacious and just enough room with 2 teenagers in the suite. All studios and one-bedroom suites are on the ground floor. You can hear some foot noise from the people above you. We were assigned to building 23 which was a convenient location to the breakfast room, hot tub and to the intersection of Disney Way and Clementine for walking to Disneyland park We didn't feel the need to use the ART shuttle as the walk was only 10 minutes. You definitely need a stroller for younger children.

We have been to Disneyland many times and have stayed in different areas around the resort area. There were 4 reasons why we chose Residence Inn. First, it was a walkable distance to Disneyland. Second, we had a full kitchen in our suite to make some meals and snacks. This saved us a lot of money! Third, there was hot breakfast with waffles, pancakes or french toast, bacon, sausage or ham as well as scrambled eggs and toasts/bagels. Can't beat that to a continental breakfast which most motels on the main strip offer. Fourth, we have stayed in numerous Marriott chains and have been happy with their service.

Tips:
***You can watch the fireworks at around 9:30 pm from the corner of Clementine and Disney Way.
***Check out is at 11 am. You can ask for a later check out time. We were able to get 1:30 pm.
***The parking lot of the hotel gets full by late afternoon during high season.
***At Garden Walk (new mall one block away with lots of restaurants), eat at the Cheesecake Factory. If the restaurant has a long wait indoors, ask for the patio. The outdoor heaters work very well and the cool nights felt fine.
***Take advantage of the Magic Mornings with your Disneyland Park Hopper. It's worth getting up early and not having to wait to get on rides. Early admission is only to Fantasyland and Tomorrowland rides.
***The supermarket (Von's) for groceries is few miles away. You'll need a car or catch a cab. The hotel does offer complimentary grocery service. Use your Safeway ClubCard if you have one.

We would absolutely return to Residence Inn Maingate. The service and location of the hotel were great. Next time, we will book a two-bedroom unit to be on the top level as well as have the extra space and bathroom. Top level suites may not be good for people who have difficulties with stairs.

• Liked — hot breakfast & kitchen facility
  • Disliked — distance to Disneyland
10 Thank Travelling_Pixie
youngstown, ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2009

We stayed two nights (Dec. 26 and 27) in a one-bedroom suite at this hotel (2 adults and a five-year old), as part of an 8-day trip to Anaheim and San Diego. The rooms at this Residence Inn could be updated but suited our purpose which was to have reasonably-priced and comfortable accomodations close to Disneyland. For example, I recently stayed at a newly-renovated Residence Inn in Chicago (near the Magnificent Mile) which was beautiful - very modern and chic. This facility cannot compare to that one in terms of furnishings, bedding, bathroom fixtures, etc. However, the room was comfortable and clean and had everything we needed for our stay. My only complaint is that there is no door separating the sink area of the bathroom (which is located outside of the toilet and tub/shower from the bedroom. Therefore, you would disturb people sleeping in the bedroom if you were using the sink.

The suites are located in separate buildings that are 2-stories each. We stayed in a first floor suite so that we did not have to carry luggage up the stairs. The buildings run off of common walkways (I think there are approx. 12 buildings; 6 on each side of the main driveway) with parking around each building. Parking is included with the room rate. There is a nice outdoor pool facility and basketball court (too cold for us to use but not so cold for other guests). The reception area is clean and bright with nice bathroom facilities, free computers, a small convenience store area and the cafeteria facility.

As previous posts have indicated, the included breakfast is wonderful - one of the best breakfasts I have had at any hotel in terms of selection, taste and quality, and certainly the best breakfast I have had at a Residence Inn. When we stayed we had two types of eggs (scrambled and scrabled with cheese, onions, and ham), very good potatoes, waffles, muffins, cereals, breakfast meats, fruit, etc.

Instead of walking to the Disney campus, we took a shuttle bus which was reasonably priced (you can buy tickets at the Disney kiosk in the hotel lobby) and transported us from the hotel to the park entrance. This is more convenient than driving or walking (which is further away than you would think from the hotel website).

Finally, there is a nice shopping center a short, one-block walk from the hotel with several stores and great restaurants (including a Cheesecake Factory, P.F. Changs, California Pizza Kitchen). Our two nights there, we got takeout from the restaurants and ate in the kitchen in our room.

I would recommend this hotel, but don't expect luxurious accomodations. This is not a Disney resort hotel (I know - we stayed at the Animal Kigdon Lodge at Disney World in April 2008 which was amazing).

• Liked — Location and great breakfast.
  • Disliked — Dated facilities.
3 Thank caseysmiles
Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2008

This hotel is highly recommended. We had a party of 6 adults and stayed in a one bedroom suite with a fold-out sofa bed. We stayed for 8 nights and were able to cook when we wanted to and the complimentary breakfast was excellent with a variety of hot and cold foods. It was a short walk to the main gate of Disneyland with shopping and cinemas across the road. It is very convenient to the Hertz rental car location which is just around the corner. In case you need to rent a car - we had six adults and the Toyota Sienna was easily big enough for us and all our luggage (suitcase each and hand luggage and shopping).

• Liked — Location, complimentary breakfast, cooking facilities
  • Disliked — Nothing
1 Thank Julie060044